Rated G for “Going-to-SCARE-you!”
I was thinking the other day about cartoons and movies that I watched as a child. Stories that were all geared towards children, that, well, SHOULDN’T have been! Looking back, there were a LOT of scary and plain ol’ messed up scenes and characters in movies/cartoons they made for kids back in the day! I remember being weirded out by a few characters and parts of films! Some of the villains and plot scenes were quite traumatizing for little kids to watch!
Thinking on them now makes me laugh, but here’s a list of a few things that I remember thinking, as a kid, were scary, weird, trippy, traumatizing, or just plain wrong to put in a “children’s” movie! haha. I hope you enjoy the walk down memory lane with more laughs than tears! hahahaha (Just give me Bugs Bunny any day!)
In no particular order:
1. Sleeping Beauty. Maleficent scared the mess outta me! I still won’t watch Sleeping Beauty now because of her! It’s been a little over 20 years since I’ve watched it! LOL!Here’s a clip:
2. Secret of Nimh. This one was disturbingly creepy to me overall. Remember towards the beginning in the N.ational I.nstitute of M.ental H.ealth when they inject that stuff into the rats causing Mrs. Brisby’s husband to die??Here’s a clip: The original video I posted on here wasn’t playing so I found this fun video that mashes Inception with Secret of NIMH. I might have enjoyed NIMH more had it been like this! Enjoy!
3. Honey I Shrunk the Kids. Ah, yes. Who can forget when the ”life size” scorpion kills the poor ant! Stupid Scorpion!! Antie’s death made me sad! You know you cried! don’t judge! hahahahaha
4. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The Tunnel Scene. Remember? What’s up with that chicken getting beheaded?? That creepy poem? that millipede mustache? What was THAT all about?? And Slugworth? What a scary guy! You know what the strangest part of it all is? After the ride, NOBODY questions it or ends up asking what in the world all that was. They just go about their merry way as if nothing had happened! Not me!!
Here’s the clip:
5. Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang. The creepy child catcher. Your parents always said to not talk to strangers! They knew about this guy!Here’s the clip: CREEPY!
6. Beetlejuice. The infamous bug-eyed snake. There’s no way kids watching this would NOT be freaked out!
I Hated this film because of this part! “Coming for your daughter, Chuck!”
7. The Rescuers. Madam Medusa made me determine to never be kidnapped! She probably scared me away from redheaded old ladies for a while too! What’s up with her wardrobe?
Here’s a few clips from The Rescuers:
8. Fantasia. The demon that appears during Mussorgsky’s Night on Bald Mountain!
9. The Wizard of Oz. The Wicked Witch of the West. The actual actress used to be a teacher for kids in school. Imagine going to class with her as your teacher calling you all her “pretties!”
10. The Black Cauldron. The Horned King, just like so many other villains, accomplishes what he is supposed to: Make your skin crawl as the hairs on the back of your neck stand at attention!
- Willow- always weirded me out! Maybe it was Val Kilmer!
- Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs- The Witch’s wart-topped nose!
- The Last Unicorn- What was up with that tree? The unicorn massacre?
- Neverending Story- Hated Gmork? and that big turtle….made me laugh, but kinda creepy!
- The Dark Crystal- The Skeksis and Gelflings. And what’s up with Aughra’s removable eye?!
- Labyrinth- for David Bowie’s hair alone!
- An American Tail- The dark waves crashing against the ship during the storm! Scary!
- Bambi- the hunting scene where the mom never comes back!
- Oh, and let’s not forget the PeeWee Herman!! hahaha
Well, there you have it. A list of SOME of the disturbing things that I remember from cartoons and movies geared towards kids during the 80′s! So in the words of YouTube sensation Antoine Dodson, “You better Hide yo’ kids!” ;)
This was fun! haha!!
What about you? What creepy movies/scenes/characters from your childhood weirded you out?
Thanks for reading! Happy watching!
up next: “Trailer Time Thursday!”