It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 106

July 3, 2012

What is “Time to Vote Tuesday”?:

Last week’s poll, This Is Your Life has now closed with 61 votes. The results are in and the top Hollywood biopics have been chosen with Schindler’s List winning the top spot. Do you have a favorite biopic that didn’t make it to the list? Check out the post and leave a comment, or see how many votes the movie YOU voted for received.

Check out the results HERE.

I wish to thank everyone that voted in last week’s polls, shared it with others, and made it fun with your comments!

—————-

In this edition of ‘TVT’ this week’s poll, entitled “Cruise Control”, we take a look at some of a particular “birthday boy’s” movie roles!

Today is Tom Cruise’s 50th birthday!

What?? You said “FIFTY”?!!

Well, keep that to YOURSELF, will ya?!

Looking at more than the news that has been hitting newsstands about the actor’s recent personal life issues (they are exactly that…personal), Tom Cruise has been an icon in Hollywood for 3 decades! He has been a lover, secret agent, movie director, rockstar, football player, and so much more! He’s even been a vampire, which is kind of funny seeing that he will be Van Helsing in the upcoming reboot).

This three-time Academy Award nominee has yet to win an Oscar (Nominated for his performances in Magnolia, Born on the Fourth of July, and Jerry Maguire), but he continues to get in front of the camera and give his all to the roles he takes up. Did you SEE him in Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol?!!

The 50 year old daredevil is not done making movies! From the rumored Top Gun 2, the announced Mission Impossible 5, and other upcoming movies including Oblivion and Jack Reacher, Tom continues to bring it on screen. Regardless of your feelings towards him, you must admit that he has put out some impressive films.

Today’s poll takes a look at some of those films and asks you to choose his best two (2) ROLES, not movies overall, but the part he played in itself. Before you choose, you may want to take a quick opportunity to review some of his movies at IMDB (here), or at my friend Fogs’ post entitled “The Top Ten Tom Cruise Movies” and read through the comments/debates around the actor’s films!

Here’s a look at a some chosen roles from WatchMojo.com

YOUR TURN! Today I ask you:

The poll closes on 7-10-12 and the results will post on next week’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Tom Cruise! Hope it’s a good day. Party it up!

-T, The Focused Filmographer

***Don’t forget: Reviews for The Amazing Spider-Man, Moonrise Kingdom, and Seeking a Friend for the End of the World posted yesterday! Check em out.

About these ads
  1. July 3, 2012 8:57 am

Tempted to go for Vincent but have to go with Hunt and Maverick. Hunt just for MI4 alone! Damn that featurette makes me want to BE Tom Cruise!

• July 4, 2012 9:32 pm

this message will self-destruct in 5 secs!

Thank you for voting!

2. July 3, 2012 9:10 am

I’ve gone for Maverick and Other – Nathan Algren from The Last Samurai.

Les Grossman made me cringe!

• July 4, 2012 9:31 pm

Ooh, going with The Last of the Mohicans, huh? oops, I meant the last samurai…or did I mean Fern Gully? or Pocahontas? or Avatar? I can’t say I remember which one was which. ;)

3. July 3, 2012 10:16 am

The first role that really made me appreciate Cruise was Born on the Fourth of July…And considering it’s the 3rd of July, gotta respect.
    I picked his work in Magnolia for my 2nd spot just because Magnolia rules.

• July 4, 2012 9:29 pm

another vote for Born! Mad respect to you, Andy, for choosing it.

4. jackdeth72 permalink
    July 3, 2012 10:47 am

Hi, Terrence and company:

I went with Les Grossman and ‘Other’.

Kind of two sides of the same coin compared to the first time I saw him as a Cadet Captain in ‘Taps’. Opposite Tim Hutton, a tolerable Sean Penn and Giancarlo Esposito.

• July 4, 2012 9:28 pm

Les Grossman is hilarious. I wonder if they are going to go forward with the “Les Grossman” movie that is rumored. Would you watch it?

5. Ted S. permalink
    July 3, 2012 11:19 am

Good stuff T! I voted for Vincent just because Cruise decided to play the villain as opposed to his usual heroic role.

• July 4, 2012 9:28 pm

I was very glad when he did Collateral. I had told several friends of mine that he needed to do that (after Denzel’s Training Day), turned out he did. and it was great.

6. July 3, 2012 2:14 pm

Wow. Les Grossman representing!! :D

I think Daniel Kaffee is my favorite character, but I didnt vote “Other”, I dont want “Other” to win! LOL

Thanks for the linkage buddy, always a bonus ;)

• July 4, 2012 9:27 pm

yeah, if “OTHER” wins I will be pretty sad about that. honestly. LOL.

Thanks for voting. Glad to pass on the linklove!

7. July 3, 2012 7:19 pm

Definitely Born on the Fourth of July.

• July 4, 2012 9:26 pm

a good choice, from what I’ve seen of the film. I’ve actually never seen it all the way but it looks intense and full of emotion.

8. July 4, 2012 9:31 am

Wow, that Cruister still looks GOOD for being 50. I reckon he won’t be doin’ much celebratin’ what w/ the divorce to contend with.

I voted for Jerry Maguire and Vincent from Collateral, I thought he made a chilling baddie! I like Ethan Hunt too, and that featurette of him on top of Burj Khalifa is just awesome! Great stuff, T.

• July 4, 2012 9:22 pm

50 years old. Wow.

Vincent is a good choice. I bought Collateral years back simply because of how impressed I was in that role. Thanks for voting.

9. July 6, 2012 9:52 pm

I went with Frank from Magnolia, and my “other” choice was Vincent Lauria from The Color of Money. Loooove him in that.

• July 9, 2012 8:33 pm

Nice choice George! Thanks for voting. We’ll see as the final hours wind down today.

1. It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 107 « The Focused Filmographer