Movie News Monday for April 8, 2013.

April 8, 2013

Welcome to this week’s edition of “Movie News Monday!” (“MNM!”)!!

What is ‘MNM’ all about?

In case this is your first time here, “Movie News Monday!” (MNM) is the place to visit every Monday for a quick recap of trending entertainment news! I’ve collected info, rumors, etc from all over just for you to keep you updated on movies being released, actors/actresses in roles, dvd releases to keep a lookout for, which movie won in the box office over the weekend, etc! Are you ready for your weekly update? Here it is!

just in

This Just In!!…

#1- “The Weekend Winner.”  Last weekend, the 2 wide new releases that entered the box office arena were remakes/re-releases. The possessed and the prehistoric battled for the dollars in hope of thrilling and scaring the most people for the #1 spot. GI Joe also battled its way in the Top Ten while The Host barely managed to reach 50% of its budget. I very much enjoyed my 3D viewing of Jurassic Park this weekend!

Here are the weekend’s estimated results for Fri, April 5 -Sun, April 7:

1. Evil Dead ~$26M
  2. G.I. Joe: Retaliation ~$21.1M
  3. The Croods ~$21.1M
  4. Jurassic Park 3D ~$18.2M
  5. Olympus Has Fallen ~$10M
  6. Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor ~$10M
  7. Oz the Great and Powerful ~$8.2M
  8. The Host ~$5.2M
  9. The Call ~$3.5M
  10. The Admission ~$2.1M

*Actuals may vary as earnings are updated much later on Monday afternoons. For updates, visit boxofficemojo.com.

Congratulations to Evil Dead (read Fogsmoviereviews.com’s  review).ed

What did YOU watch this weekend?

#2- “Stamped Promotional Passports for Snowpiercer” The upcoming film, Snowpiercer, directed by Korean filmmaker Joon-ho Bong stars Chris Evans, Tilda Swinton, Alison Pill, Ed Harris, Jamie Bell, John Hurt, Octavia Spencer and more and centers around a group of survivors after a destructive ice age in the year 2031. The lone survivors live on a train (the “Snowpiercer”) that is powered by a machine. They struggle with each other and the elements in order to stay alive in the middle of an ice age induced by a failed experiment to stop global warming.Snowpiercer-Postersnowpiercer_poster

Below are some of the new images released in form of passports for some of the characters. Enjoy. (Click one of them to scroll through a fullscreen slideshow with the arrow keys)

Releasing this year, Snowpiercer has quite the impressive cast. It will be interesting to see how director Joon-ho Bong brings the story to light in this story based on the French graphic novel entitled “Le Transperceneige.”Snowpiercer-Song-Kang-ho

Thoughts on Snowpiercer?

#3- “Seeing Double with Hercules. I’ve reported a couple of times about the upcoming Hercules movie starring Dwayne Johnson. (Read more HERE) Well, as Hollywood would have it, when one movie about a character/theme releases, there must always be another.Hercules

Case in point:

• Mirror, Mirror & Snow White and the Huntsman
  • Olympus Has Fallen & White House Down
  • The Hangover & Bridesmaids
  • the 6 upcoming Frankenstein projects
  • etc.

Well, Hercules will also receive the double treatment as director Renny Harlin (Die Hard 2, Deep Blue Sea) is gearing up to “compete” with Brett Ratner and Dwayne Johnson’s Hercules. Hercules 3D is said to be less comic-book style and more in the “vein of Gladiator.” Not only is it surprising to hear that they are ramping up to start production next month in order to release in March 2014 (ahead of Dwayne Johnson’s Aug2014 release), but also surprising who will be Hercules himself. (and, no, it’s not Kevin Sorbo or Ryan Gosling.)

Watch the report from ClevverMovies:

Kellan Lutz?! Share your thoughts on this project and its casting in the comment section below.

Johnson or Lutz?

#4- “Cap’s Concept Art & more.” Captain America: The Winter Soldier has officially begun production and with it has come our first image from the set featuring The First Avenger in uniform! I can’t wait for this upcoming sequel that is also reported to have a much more leading role for Black Widow in it as well. (Hooray, Scarlett Johansson!!!) haha. Check out some of the concept art for the sequel along with the first image of Cap below.

And the first image from set!captain-america-2-winter-soldier-chris-evans-600x399

Here is an excerpt from the official press release from Marvel (you can read it in its entirety here):

“Captain America: The Winter Soldier” will pick-up where “Marvel’s The Avengers” left off, as Steve Rogers struggles to embrace his role in the modern world and teams up with Natasha Romanoff, aka Black Widow, to battle a powerful yet shadowy enemy in present-day Washington, D.C.

Based on the ever-popular Marvel comic book series, first published in 1941, Marvel’s “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” features an outstanding supporting cast that includes Sebastian Stan (“Captain America: The First Avenger,” “Black Swan”) as Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier, Anthony Mackie (“The Hurt Locker,” “Million Dollar Baby”) as Sam Wilson/Falcon, Cobie Smulders (“Marvel’s The Avengers,” “How I Met Your Mother”) as Agent Maria Hill, Frank Grillo (“Zero Dark Thirty”) as Brock Rumlow and Georges St-Pierre (“Death Warrior”) as Georges Batroc. Rounding out the talented cast are Hayley Atwell (“Captain America: The First Avenger”) as Peggy Carter, Toby Jones (“Captain America: The First Avenger,” “The Hunger Games”) as Arnim Zola, Emily VanCamp (“The Ring 2,” “Revenge”) as Agent 13 and Maximiliano Hernández (“Marvel’s The Avengers,” “Thor”) as Agent Jasper Sitwell.

Get ready, Captain America: The Winter Soldier is set for a US release on April 4, 2014.

Are you excited for the sequel?

#5- “This Week’s Blu-ray release.” This week, look for the following films on Blu-ray to possibly add to your collection: (Note: another SLOW week for dvd releases)

Hyde Park on Hudson- The bio-pic dramatized story of the love affair between President Franklin D. Roosevelt and his distant cousin during which also the King and Queen of the United Kingdom visited for a getaway in upstate New York. Starring Bill Murray, Laura Linney and more. Look for it in stores near you this week.

Trailer: hyde-park-on-hudson-blu-ray-cover-79

Several other films also release this week. Check it out!

Also releasing: The Sorcerer and the White Snake, One Life,  and more.

——-

Well, that’s it for this round of “Movie News Monday!”

-T, The Focused Filmographer

up next: “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

About these ads
  1. mettemk permalink
    April 8, 2013 12:40 pm

Snowpiercer looks pretty awesome, definitely anticipate that one!
    I watched Rain Man and Akira this weekend, both from the same year and two very different movies. I had read the Rain Man book adapted from the movie and was surprised by how much funnier the movie was. Akira was gorgeous but a bit too complex for sleepy me.

• April 9, 2013 4:34 pm

I am pretty interested in Snowpiercer myself! Thanks for commenting today. Quite the random fun mix of movies you watched. I wonder, whenever the live-action Akira ever comes, if it will be just as “sleepy” for ya! :)

Rain Man is a good choice!

2. April 8, 2013 3:32 pm

I’m quite excited for Snowpiercer! Can’t believe I haven’t heard about it until now. I’ll be doing a spotlight on that at some point. I like the concept and the cast.

WOW, I’m surprised Olympus Has Fallen is still holding out in the top 5, that’s quite a hit for GB. Did you see Evil Dead, T? As you know I won’t ever see it :D

• April 8, 2013 8:06 pm

I’m surprised about OHF as well! and, no, I avoided Evil Dead this weekend. ha. nope nope nope not for me! :)

• April 8, 2013 8:08 pm

That’s wise T. From what I’ve read it just seems so brutal and gross!

3. April 8, 2013 6:44 pm

Snowpiercer has an interesting concept and some good actors in it. Captain America 2 is looking pretty good.

On the Hercs… first, it’s just chintzy that the other one is simply calling itself Hercules 3D; way too close a title. And second… that kid doesn’t look like a Greek demigod.

• April 9, 2013 4:35 pm

I am happy seeing what they are doing with Captain America 2 myself.

I don’t really get the casting of Lutz and Hercules 3D…I’m hoping…can maybe just be a working title.

4. April 8, 2013 6:49 pm

Oooooh… is that The Falcon? That would be sweeeeeeeet. :D

Hey thanks for the linkage, too, bro!! :D

• April 9, 2013 4:36 pm

The Falcon indeed my friend! Get ready.

and thank YOU for reviewing EVIL DEAD so that I could pass your review along!

5. jackdeth72 permalink
    April 8, 2013 10:18 pm

Hi, Terrence and company:

‘Snowpiercer’ boasts a great cast. Hopefully, they will be able to raise the film above the earlier, liberal wet dream Global Warming embarrassment that was ‘The Day After Tomorrow’.

Was never sold on the Bucky/Winter Soldier creation with Marvel Comics. Though, I was pleasantly surprised by Whedon’s ‘The Avengers’. Where the Hulk behaved exactly as I had hoped and expected. And Iron Man rawked!

The expansion of The Black Widow (Get some 1911 ACPs. Instead of those girly, no recoil 9mm pistols!) and inclusion of The Falcon could change things very much for the better!

• April 9, 2013 4:37 pm

Greetings. Thanks for stopping in. I am curious to see the progress of Snowpiercer myself and expect it to be good.

Hopefully Marvel will surprise you with Bucky this time around! and Black Widow…well, I think you may be the only person who was watching what guns she was using. ;)

6. April 9, 2013 5:51 am

Thanks for drawing my attention to Snowpiercer! I hadn’t heard about it until now and that’s pretty surprising considering its cast – anything with Swinton in is good by me!

• April 9, 2013 4:39 pm

Mr Rumsey! Absolutely. It always is good to be able to introduce new upcoming movies to friends. What is your favorite Swinton movie?

• April 9, 2013 7:29 pm

It’s too hard to pick one out of her performances!
        Out of the movies that she is in however, Adaptation ranks very highly for me as a film, even if she only has a small role.

7. April 9, 2013 8:39 am

Kellan Lutz?! What the hell are they thinking?

• April 9, 2013 4:39 pm

don’t think they are, my friend.

• April 9, 2013 4:44 pm

It’s gonna be awful, why do people be stupid?

• April 9, 2013 4:53 pm

let’s make the movies ourselves instead. or at least be the planners/casting directors

• April 9, 2013 4:58 pm

Just need to finish my script.

Marvel are pretty good at picking them, Thor, Iron Man etc.

• April 9, 2013 5:19 pm

too bad I beat you to writing the script for Avengers and D.C.’s The Dark Knight! :D

8. April 9, 2013 12:32 pm

Snowpiercer looks awesome. Promising cast and director(Also, are we seeing a trend of asian filmmakers doing english language films now?)

• April 9, 2013 4:40 pm

I don’t know abt the trend, but their films are more often than not welcomed by myself!

1. Murphy News : Misterman Clip, Peaky Blinders, Cry/Fly, Transcendence | Polychrome Interest