So….ever since The Dark Knight released, hundreds of rumors made their way around the internet and back about what would take place in a, at the time, unconfirmed continuation. The thought of Batman 3 had all the comic fans drooling after seeing the great work that director Christopher Nolan put together in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight! After conducting some thorough research of my own, I decided to bring to you some of my most recent findings revolving around the rumors and ideas of the elusive Batman3 project. The following are some questions surrounding the project and the answers that I have found so far. I hope you enjoy!
1. Will there even be a 3rd Batman film? The answer to that is undoubtedly YES! Christopher Nolan’s brother, Jonathan Nolan has been working on the script and is almost done. They are working towards filming for IMAX theaters and Nolan has absolutely shunned the implementation of 3D for this film! Two things I am glad Nolan hasn’t done with Batman: 3D, and make these movies like the Batman films before him—“Batman goes to a Rave!”
2. So, if the Nolans are working on the movie and writing the script, What characters are they planning on bringing to the story? Actually, the writing is complete. The screenplay is just being polished up. Right now, the only confirmed characters and actors are as follows: Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman, Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox, Michael Caine as Alfred Pennyworth, and Gary Oldman as Commissioner Gordon. The Nolans remain very tight-lipped about the film.
3. Will Robin make an appearance finally? Nope. No Robin…Nolan specifically stated that these Batman movies are still focusing on a “younger” Batman, before Robin even showed up in the comics. His passion for presenting Batman in a certain light that compliments the original comics keeps him from adding characters into the film just for the sake of adding them. Wise Mr. Nolan. Thank you, sir! Rest assured that if Robin is in any Batman movie, Nolan will not be a part of the project.
4. Is Two-Face really dead? They will probably bring him back for the third one won’t they? Nope. Two-Face won’t be in the film. Nolan has confirmed that his character is indeed dead. Gordon and Batman didn’t take him and store him in Arkham or something like that and bury a different body at the funeral. Two-Face is gone.
5. Will we see the Joker back in the 3rd film? Again…Nope. The Joker will not be recast. Plans were in the air about having the third Batman film showcase the trial of The Joker, but those plans were quickly squashed…even before Ledger’s sad and untimely death. To recast The Joker would almost be impossible to do so quickly after Heath Ledger’s most amazing and memorable performance as the villain. I’m not even sure that if Heath Ledger hadn’t passed away that they would bring the Joker back so quickly. Some people are hoping for Harlequin to be in the third film. Sorry, but you really can’t do Harley without the Joker. Don’t expect her to be in the next one either.
6. There were rumors about the Penguin and Philip Seymour Hoffman doing the part. Yes? No. No Penguin…sorry Philip Seymour Hoffman. Nolan has stated that it would be somewhat difficult to bring the Penguin (along with other “non-natural” characters) into the franchise and still stay true to the reality of Batman and the characters/world that they have worked so hard to establish and maintain. It would almost be as detrimental to the latest Batman movies as bringing Venom and Sandman into the Spiderman series was. Unrealistic, and therefore detracting. So…Danny Devito, you can keep your persona as the dirty bird to yourself! And Hoffman, well….too bad.
7. What about Catwoman rumors?….highly unlikely that she will be in the third installment. It has been rumored in the past that Catwoman would be in the film and that Angelina Jolie would star. First of all, the third Batman movie is most likely going to be about Batman being redeemed in the eyes of the citizens of Gotham and being chased down by a reluctant Commissioner Gordon. (remember, think back now about how The Dark Knight ended). In order for Batman to “redeem” himself in the eyes of Gotham, he would have to save them from a villain that grips the city in a vice of fear with threat of destruction. That’s not Catwoman. Also, if Jolie were to play Catwoman, that would be the stupidest move EVER! Have you seen Catwoman’s mask? No one in all of hollywood has a more recognizable mouth/lips than Angelina Jolie. Her identity would be given away just like that! So…No Catwoman! No Mr. Freeze either…just thought I’d throw that one out there!
8. So what about the Riddler?…Well, all signs pretty much point to the Riddler being confirmed as the main villain in the new Batman film. Eddie Murphy? Johnny Depp? Robin Williams? No, No, and No!! Those who follow Nolan’s work, know that he doesn’t sign on very many big name actors. He also likes to work with actors that he’s used before, if they impress him enough! I, for one, don’t even want to see Depp, Murphy, or Williams anywhere near a Batman film set. It seems that the most credible rumor at the moment is that Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Inception, Brick, 500 Days of Summer, 10 Things I Hate About You) might end up playing the part of Edward Nigma. Move out the way Jim Carrey! (thankfully!)
9. Since Nolan and Bale are working on a third movie, will there be more to follow? How many more Batman movies are there going to be? Nolan said that one important piece of comicbook hero movies is that there is an end in sight. The movie producers must see a beginning, middle, and end to their story in order for there to be justice to the characters, plot, and feel of the storyline. That being said, Nolan has pretty much alluded to the fact that this upcoming Batman project will be the last. At least as far as Nolan is concerned. I have no doubt that he will exercise great judgment in how to finalize the Batman story….for now at least. I’m sure later on down the road a new young director in Hollywood will attempt to pick up the mantle (or cowl) and start where Nolan left off. Here are Nolan’s precise words that he gave in a statement to the LA Times:
“My brother has come up with some pretty exciting stuff. Unlike the comics, these things don’t go on forever in film and viewing it as a story with an end is useful. Viewing it as an ending, that sets you very much on the right track about the appropriate conclusion and the essence of what tale we’re telling.”…..”The key thing that makes the third film a great possibility for us is that we want to finish our story,” he said. “And in viewing it as the finishing of a story rather than infinitely blowing up the balloon and expanding the story.”
10. Since Nolan is also heading up production of the new Superman movie project….will he bring the Batman into the mix for an interesting crossover movie? Setting up a possible Justice League film for DC Comics along with movies like Green Lantern, The Flash, and Wonder Woman in the talks? N-O! Nolan currently has no plans of bringing Batman and Superman together in any of his films. Sorry.
and 11. Will they give Christian Bale cough drops for his throat after all of his growling dialogue in The Dark Knight?! 🙂 Probably not.
So, let’s recap, shall we? Confirmed so far: Christopher Nolan directing. Christian Bale, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, and Gary Oldman reprising their roles. Bale is now officially the only actor ever to be confirmed for three Batman movies as the Caped Crusader. Release date: Summer 2012! No Robin. No cough drops. And it will be Nolan’s final Batman film…for now.
I love all of the rumors and buzz surrounding this film. What are your thoughts on the movie? Who would you like to see in it? Who is your favorite Batman villain? Joker, Riddler, Penguin, Two-Face, Poison Ivy, Harlequin, Mr. Freeze, Bane, Catwoman, Clayface, Killer Croc, Scarecrow, The Clock King (one of my favs), Ra’s Al Ghul, Mad Hatter…did I miss any?
**Food for thought: Perhaps Nolan should either 1-create a totally new villain for Batman to face, or 2-choose some other villain than The Riddler. Why? What will The Riddler bring to the table that The Joker already didn’t? In reality, they are almost identical. While I do not doubt the directing abilities of Christopher Nolan (Gasp! That’d be Blasphemy!) The Riddler may just make Batman3 a “Dark Knight Remake.” At least adding someone like Bane may make for a different plot. So, Riddle me this. Riddle me that. Who should be the villain to go up against The Bat? I can’t wait to hear your thoughts!
Just for fun, here’s one more piece of fan art for a Batman3 movie poster: I thought it was well done (except for the fact that they misspelled Morgan Freeman’s name), and you’d like to take a look!
Thanks for reading! Happy Watching!