Two actors continually, over the past decade or so, have been on my “not-so-favorite” list. Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey. Both of them land roles so often that mirror roles they have acted in before! Honestly, they bore me. Hudson’s familiar performances in Bride Wars, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Fool’s Gold, and the upcoming rom-com Something Borrowed. McConaughey’s track record is just as impressive: Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, Failure to Launch, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, and Fool’s Gold, but he at least also has Sahara and A Time To Kill in his resume. Needless to say, McConaughey caused a level of doubt entangled with curiosity for TheScarletSp1der when it came to his latest courtroom-esque thriller The Lincoln Lawyer. So, putting The Lincoln Lawyer on trial also means putting McConaughey himself on trial!
And the verdict is in!…………….Guilty!
The Lincoln Lawyer is guilty on several counts! Read ’em and weep!
- Great assembled cast: GUILTY! Matthew McConaughey, Ryan Phillippe, Marisa Tomei, William H. Macy, Jon Leguizamo, Jonathan Peña, Bryan Cranston, Josh Lucas, Bob Gunton, and more! You may not recognize all of the names,but you will when you see them! And they (mainly) give an outstanding and contributory performance! Phillippe in one of his best performances since Crash.
- Unnecessary cast members: GUILTY! Somewhat contradictory to point #1, I know. But, unfortunately, Marisa Tomei and Mackenzie Aladjem as McConaughey’s ex-wife and daughter serve barely any purpose at all in the grand scheme of the film itself. They did a great job at doing so, but still, served entirely no real purpose at all.
- Quick witty banter, Intricate character interactions, Several twists and manipulative turns as the plot develops. GUILTY! GUILTY!! and GUILTY!!!
- Believable turn of events: GUILTY!
- Another fantastic look at the perplexity of the justice system and the moral/ethical dilemmas involved: GUILTY!
Okay, “You CAN handle the truth!!” While The Lincoln Lawyer is a far cry from Law&Order and films such as Runaway Jury, A Few Good Men, and, even Marisa Tomei’s other great film, My Cousin Vinny, The Lincoln Lawyer is a great film to watch with so many unknowns and fun plot twists to follow! The sleuth of a moviegoer may decipher the ending, but it is more unpredictable than it appears.
The true glory of The Lincoln Lawyer belongs with Matthew McConaughey himself. His portrayal of Defense Attorney Mick Haller undeniably ranks as his best performance EVER!! The quick, street smart, investigative, resourceful, and un-quitting persona carries the movie, interest, and drama throughout greater than any other facet of this vehicular vendetta!
The Lincoln Lawyer will keep you guessing! It may cause a lack of attention for certain viewers, including the younger ones, but overall, McConaughey does not disappoint! I hope he continues to do so well. BTW, great job to director Brad Furman and screenplay writer John Romano for bringing this highly acclaimed novel to cinema!
Thanks for reading!
Enjoy if you wish…or don’t enjoy! Happy Watching!
–TheSp1der’s Score: The Final Verdict: 4 out of 5 stars for “The Lincoln Lawyer” (and that’s the Whole Truth, and nothing but!!)
up next: Review for Sucker Punch