Green Means “Go”…the other way!!

June 17, 2011

Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively star in DC’s grandiose attempt at bringing the superhero The Green Lantern to the big screen. With a $300 million budget (for both movie making and marketing) Warner Bros looks for another huge success similar to DC’s other great staples of might and justice (Superman and Batman). This time around, though, do not expect Warner Bros to see a lot of green$$ come in! Green Lantern, while it contains a few fun scenes here and there, overpromises, yet grossly underperforms. The only thing that may remain green about this film is the envy that the producers feel towards the successes of the likes of  Batman, Superman, Iron Man, and other such blockbusters!

In case you are unaware of the story of Green Lantern and his background (most people are not too familiar with him), the film successfully starts with a backstory to ensure adequate comprehension of the events about to take place. As a matter of fact, here is a great trailer that also lays the foundation for the film.

The film not only starts off pretty fantastic and amazing, it also ends in a fun way that, expectedly, leaves it open for the sequel (stay through the credits). The action, amazing spacescapes, and the size of the sets all in all impress! Smash the beginning and the ending together for a 30-60 minute movie and Green Lantern is a success. The problem is the middle of the film. The dull story development (or lack thereof)  drags Ryan Reynolds and crew down to almost a complete stop on the “comic book hero movie coolness” chart!

While the CGI looks amazing for the aliens, spacescapes, and such-like, it completely misses the mark when it comes to seeing Ryan Reynolds’ costume superimposed on his body. The effect for the costume was a concern when first footage released, however after an extra $9 million came through for further development of the film, it seemed that the costume would look much better. WRONG. During most of the entire movie it distracts and looks cheesy. (Sorry, but somebody had to say it).

The plot also drags in almost a soap-opera sort of way and ultimately a lot of the characters end up being non-consequential to the entire plot. For example, Peter Sarsgaard’s character, the socially ostracized Hector Hammond, looks to be important to the plot, but in the end, the film really fails in utilizing him in a major way. Sarsgaard’s performance being mediocre at best. Speaking of acting, Mark Strong (as Sinestro) gives the strongest performance of all the actors in the movie. Blake Lively gives a so-so performance but mainly exists in the film as eye candy and love interest of Reynolds’ character Hal Jordan. And Ryan Reynolds, well, he IS better as Hal Jordan than he was as Wade in X-Men Origins: Wolverine !

If one thing good could be said that may encourage you to see Green Lantern, it would be the special effects of the film that enhances the simple story telling! A job well done in that department. But otherwise, do not expect “Batman.” Do not expect any emotional connection. Do not expect the performances of the year.

Sorry, D.C., but Green Lantern= a rather sad and boring disappointment. I recommend that you be green, yourself, and don’t drive your car to the theater to see it. In this instance, Green means “GO…the other way!!”

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night, Watch Green Lantern again? I’d rather fly a Kite!

Thanks for reading!

Enjoy if you wish…or don’t enjoy! Happy Watching!

TheSp1der’s Score: 1.5 out of 5 stars for “Green Lantern

1. June 17, 2011 11:46 am

…i think i’m the only one who didn’t find Reynolds bad in Origins

• June 17, 2011 8:12 pm

He wasn’t bad in Origins. It’s just that his character was in the end of the film.

2. June 17, 2011 9:07 pm

I not only think the middle portion is bad… I think the entire film is bad. There’s not one scene that is worth watching again 😦

• June 18, 2011 9:31 am

haha, the film had a couple of redeeming portions…Blake Lively, and Blake Lively! ha, but other than that….

I may rent it when it releases on dvd to check it out again, but don’t hold your breath. I am surprised that there are still some differing opinions among movie critics/reviewers on this one. Ebert liked it more than Thor, Maltin liked it. etc.

3. June 18, 2011 10:52 am

so its bad? that sucks i was really looking forward to this movie..oh well hahah …I still might see it if i get super bored…but at least now i know, not to have to high expectations.

• June 18, 2011 4:12 pm

Several people greatly enjoyed it. Ebert even gave it 3 stars. The First Fans liked it. I, however, saw it quite differently.

• June 20, 2011 7:59 am

I don’t always trust Ebert’s judgment, I mean he hated First Class AND Thor but like this one?? Whatever!

• June 20, 2011 9:34 am

Amen! 🙂

• June 20, 2011 8:20 am

Ebert gave it 2.5 stars… that’s a thumbs down.

• June 20, 2011 9:34 am

pretty much! Thanks!

4. June 20, 2011 1:31 am

The mythology is nonsensical and the plot takes forever to get going. But once it does, the movie takes advantage of a strong cast and a director who knows what he’s doing. Good Review! Check out mine when you can!

• June 20, 2011 9:32 am

thanks Dan for the comment! I read and commented on yours yesterday and rather enjoyed it! I just wasn’t a fan of Campbell’s work with GL

5. June 20, 2011 7:57 am

Ahahahaha… I like your title, T, go the other way I shall 😀 I have no interest in this at all from the time I saw the first trailer, even if the reviews had been stellar I probably would still wait for the dvd. Now I don’t know if I even want to rent it as I’m not a big fan of Reynolds either (eight pack abs notwithstanding!)

• June 20, 2011 9:33 am

haha. thanks Ruth! How was your weekend?

yeah, Reynolds just didn’t do it for me. but Mark Strong on the other hand…great job!

6. June 5, 2012 5:26 pm

Agree completely. I HATED this. It’s my #1 for the worst films of 2011. Completely unwatchable.

• June 8, 2012 10:07 am

Glad to see we are in agreement. Man, this was so horrific

• June 8, 2012 5:00 pm

There was one part I liked because I thought it was clever: when some random bad guy (can’t even remember their names!!) said “Watch your back” and Green Lantern said “That’s impossible!” Still, it’s as dumb a line as all the others.

1. Movie News Monday for October 10, 2011! « Scarletsp1der's Blog