Movie News Monday for August 15, 2011!

August 15, 2011

Today is not just Monday! Today is “Movie News Monday!” (“MNM!”)! I’m glad you’re here!

What is ‘MNM’ all about?

In case this is your first time here, “Movie News Monday!” (MNM) is the place to visit every Monday for a quick recap of trending entertainment news! I’ve collected info, rumors, etc from all over just for you to keep you updated on movies being released, actors/actresses in roles, dvd releases to keep a lookout for, which movie won in the box office over the weekend, etc! Are you ready for your weekly update? Here it is!

This Just In!!…

#1- “The Weekend Winner.” Four new releases entered the box office arena this past week to compete with Rise of the Planet of the Apes, The Smurfs, and Cowboys & Aliens. Interesting results…especially for The Help. It’s too bad for all of you “Glee”ks that Glee didn’t even make it to the top ten this past weekend. Which movie(s) did you check out this past weekend?

Here are the weekend’s estimated results for Fri, Aug 12-Sun, Aug 14:

1. Rise of the Planet of the Apes ~$27.5 million
  2. The Help ~$25.5 million (NEW RELEASE)
  3. Final Destination 5 ~$18.4 million (NEW RELEASE)
  4. The Smurfs ~$13.5 million
  5. 30 Minutes or Less ~$13 million (NEW RELEASE)
  6. Cowboys & Aliens ~$7.6 million
  7. Captain America: The First Avenger ~$7.1 million
  8. Crazy Stupid Love ~$6.93 million
  9. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 ~$6.87 million
  10. The Change Up ~$6.2 million
  11. Glee: The 3D Concert Movie ~$5.7 million (NEW RELEASE)

Congratulations to Rise of the Planet of the Apes again!! See it soon!

#2- “Another Slice of American Pie!” Check out the promo teaser poster for the upcoming latest installment of the American Pie series. Unlike the latest spinoff films, American Reunion (the 4th film derived from the original series) takes place after the events of American Wedding and features the entire original gang, including Jason Biggs, Seann William Scott, Chris Klein, Tara Reid, Alyson Hannigan, and more!

Taken directly from www.americanpiereunion.com, here is the official synopsis of the film:

In the comedy American Reunion, all the American Pie characters we met a little more than a decade ago are returning to East Great Falls for their high-school reunion. In one long-overdue weekend, they will discover what has changed, who hasn’t and that time and distance can’t break the bonds of friendship. It was summer 1999 when four small-town Michigan boys began a quest to lose their virginity. In the years that have passed, Jim and Michelle married while Kevin and Vicky said goodbye. Oz and Heather grew apart, but Finch still longs for Stifler’s mom. Now these lifelong friends have come home as adults to reminisce about—and get inspired by—the hormonal teens who launched a comedy legend.

What do you think?

#3- “Princess Power.” Not only is Snow White receiving a movie makeover (3 times over, might I add), but another Disney princess will be here shortly as well. A re-imagining of Cinderella is in the works. After the great success of Alice in Wonderland ‘s re-imagining, the studios decided to proceed with the plans for Cinderella. Currently, Director Mark Romanek is being sought to sit in the chair and direct the project. With a script already set from Aline Brosh McKenna (The Devil Wears Prada), the studios seem intent on the talent of Romanek to complete the princess project to perfection. Romanek directed films such as One Hour Photo, Never Let Me Go.

Look who’s in this picture as the Girl with only one Glass Slipper? 😀

DUE TO UNEXPECTED COMPUTER FAILURE, THE REST OF THIS POST HAS BEEN COMPLETED USING MY MOBILE PHONE AND THEREFORE MAY NOT APPEAR IN THE SAME USUAL FORMAT…gotta love computers. Apologies, I hope to be back up and running soon…

#4- “Batman/Superman Rumor Rises Again!” A Batman/Superman film is once again the center of discussion from some on the web. Warner Bros. has announced that there will be a Justice League movie and that both The Dark Knight and the Last Son of Krypton would be rebooted prior to. That could easily be accomplished with a crossover film. Check this site (YOU MAY HAVE TO COPY AND PASTE IT) http://screenrant.com/batman-superman-team-up-film-benm-128000/ to read some details and ideas about any upcoming project featuring the two heroes.
image

#5- “This Week’s Blu-ray release.” This week look for the following films on Blu-ray to possibly add to your collection:

The Conspirator, The Ward, and Priest

Well, that’s it for this round of “Movie News Monday!”

TheScarletSp1der

up next: “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

1. August 15, 2011 5:50 pm

Why can’t they leave the American Pie franchise alone?

• August 16, 2011 6:08 am

I’m glad that this one, at least, is not one of the spinoff-straight to dvd films.

2. August 15, 2011 5:50 pm

Damn, they keep rebooting those comic books franchise even when Superman has just been rebooted and TDKR is yet to come out for another year!

DVDs: Looking forward to seeing Limitless and The Ward 🙂

• August 16, 2011 6:07 am

yeah, not to sure what’s happening with DC and the reboot plans all over the place.

Will you be writing a review for Limitless and The Ward?

3. August 15, 2011 9:49 pm

Oh geez, not another American Pie movie??!

As for Cinderella, sorry T but I hope they WON’T cast the girl in that poster as the princess.

• August 16, 2011 6:04 am

Believe it or not, I actually enjoyed American Wedding and thought it was a pretty decent sequel. I don’t mind a 4th one with the same cast, so long as it’s done well.

Why you hatin on my movie wife, hmm? 😉

• August 16, 2011 12:18 pm

I agree with you on American Wedding. I would prefer that they leave it as it is, but i will take a direct sequel over another straight to dvd

And good thing Scarlet has you to defend her 😛

• August 16, 2011 10:45 pm

haha. I love Scarlett! 🙂 Ruth knows (and I know you know too), and I love to go back and forth about it with her too! 😉

• August 16, 2011 9:06 pm

No hatin’ I just don’t think she’s Cinderella material 🙂

• August 16, 2011 9:09 pm

Ha ha! Fair enough. Lol

4. August 16, 2011 2:35 am

I am so happy that RISE is doing so well. It has done its money now huh? It is in profit? Such a great bunch of guys that made that film for sure!!

(This is Custard btw, I am trying to lose the nickname)

• August 16, 2011 6:03 am

As am I. Glad for Rise, it’s such a great movie, Scott!

5. August 16, 2011 10:19 am

American reunion? Interesting. I still love the first film, and they did a pretty good job with the other two. I like that they’re getting everyone back.

• August 16, 2011 10:46 pm

Ian the Cool! Thank you for commenting. I had meant to bookmark your page and forgot and was trying to remember it…so once you commented again I was glad so that I’d have the link again! Hope things been well with you.

• August 17, 2011 4:16 pm

Thanks. Yes, I also meant to put you on my blogroll, but didn’t get around to it. But I saw you up on the “movies” page again.

• August 17, 2011 10:03 pm

Thanks for adding me. i will return the favor.