In TheScarletSp1der’s Spotlight: New Posters of the Week

August 17, 2011

Happy Wednesday everyone!

A fun guilty pleasure of mine is collecting movie posters! You too??! Well, for those of you movie lovers who enjoy the culmination of the efforts of graphic designers here’s a look at some new posters of the week. Take a glance at the posters for these upcoming movies! Enjoy!

1. Coriolanus (12-2-11)

2. Puncture (9-23-11)

3. Contagion (10-21-11)
4. Red Tails
(1-20-12)

5. Machine Gun Preacher (9-23-11)

6. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, part 1 (11-18-11)

7. Drive (9-16-11)

So, what do you think? Which ones are your favorites? I personally really like the one for Coriolanus and for Contagion (If you don’t know about Contagion click HERE).

(A BIG thank you to geektyrant for posting some of these for me to find for you! Also impawards.)

Posters today! Trailers tomorrow! Up next: “Trailer Time Thursday!” (also, review for The Help)

TheScarletSp1der

1. August 17, 2011 7:16 pm

It’s been a good week for me… not one but TWO Gerry Butler’s movie posters are released, wahoo! Wow, yet another one for DRIVE? I think I put up like 5 of ’em already last week. Oh and the Red Tails one looks good!

• August 17, 2011 7:17 pm

🙂 i know you sure are spoiled this week, huh?!

can’t wait to see those two for sure!!

2. August 17, 2011 9:07 pm

Puncture seems like it could be interesting. I loved Chris Evans in the Losers, although i honestly didn’t find his performance in Captain America that great(Although that could be because i liked his character more in the Losers). I am waiting for him to really impress me again. I would personally like to see him tackle on a role with a little more depth than his usual ones.

And Contagion certainly has quite a eclectic cast. It seems like one of those movies where the director was like “get me everybody dammit” 😛

• August 17, 2011 10:02 pm

hahaha. you just may be right about Contagion!

3. August 18, 2011 2:59 am

Puncture looks funny, Mr Evans looks weird with facial hair!

Give me Drive baby everyday of the week. I am so going to by a silver jacket and some black driving gloves

• August 18, 2011 7:48 am

Evans does look funny with the beard. Trying to differentiate from his Capt appearance I’m guessing.

You’d look pretty snazzy in the jacket and gloves! silver jacket and black gloves. Reverse it and you got a whole Michael Jackson thing goin…Black Jacket, Silver Gloves. LOL.

4. August 18, 2011 6:36 am

Some very promising films coming up. I’m particularly looking forward to Coriolanus and Contagion. Gerard Butler has been very busy lately.

• August 18, 2011 7:46 am

you’re right Dan. I am surprised at the amount of films GB has been in lately. Very much to the excitement of our friend Flixchatter! 🙂

I ditto the films you are looking forward to!

Penny for your thoughts on Drive?

• August 18, 2011 9:36 pm

He..he.. yes indeed, T. When it rain it pours… I’ve been waiting for those two GB movies for 2 yrs now, so it’s about time! 😀

• August 18, 2011 9:56 pm

haha, yes, I know. and I am so glad for you!

5. Jack Deth permalink
    August 18, 2011 7:40 am

Hi, ScarletSp1der and company:

Great looking posters, Scarlet!

‘Coriolanus’ has a rough, almost Kurosawa, Pen & Ink, ‘Ran’ look and feel to it. Very intriguing!

Am I the only one who thinks that Chris Evans is trying to channel Tom Cruise on a slow downward spiral in ‘Puncture’? It’s a look that bears closer investigation.

‘Contagion’ still strikes me as nothing more than a high end, big budgeted, modernized B-Movie. Nearly 1950s ‘Red Scare/Us vs. Them’ in its concept and execution. I’m pleased that its poster gently, perhaps unintentionally embraces that idea and runs with it. Very retro!

Having been raised on a diet of 1960s DC ‘When War was still Cool’ comics. The ‘Red Tails’ poster has a distinct Joe Kubert/Irv Novick ‘Johnny Cloud, the Navaho Ace’ vibe and feel to it. Especially with its jousting with the German ME-262 (The world’s first operational jet fighter). Whose losses were scored when most vulnerable. While landing. Not when taking on daylight, box formations of bombers. That glitch aside, the poster ROCKS!

I’ve waxed poetic and positively about ‘Machine Gun Preacher’. The poster sells the film beautifully.

Born far too late for the ‘Twilight’ franchise. Its poster could easily be teasing any of television’s ‘Beverly Hills: 90210’ spin-offs, clones or hijacked ideas. In other words, ‘All sizzle. No steak!’

Walter Hill and Ryan O’Neal’s ‘The Driver’ was a perfectly acceptable 1978 addition to the low budgeted Man and Machine, ‘Vanishing Point’ genre of films. I see no reason to re-vamp and re-visit such hallowed ground.

Thanks all and sundry for letting me add my two cents.

• August 18, 2011 7:43 am

I often learn a lot from your comments Jack! Thank you for taking the time to leave them and be so thorough. Your thoughts on “Puncture” caused a double take…and after watching the trailer I tend to agree even more.

So much great info I learned in today’s comment. As always, I welcome and appreciate it!

6. August 18, 2011 8:03 am

I really like this idea! I love movie posters. I’ve bought some that cost me some money and always go for originals not reprints.

That being said out of these Drive and Coriolanus are my favorites. I look forward to being able to see more posters here!

• August 18, 2011 8:04 am

thank you Max!! I’m glad to hear your shared passion!

What’s your favorite poster in your collection! Thanks so much for stopping in and commenting!

Have a great day!!

• August 19, 2011 8:27 pm

Ooooo my favorite poster? It’s a toss up between my B style ‘Lost in Translation’ Poster or my ‘Hard Days Night’ Poster. I really love them all though. I think Poster Art is a really under appreciated medium.

• August 19, 2011 8:56 pm

Nice.

I agree. Poster Art is under appreciated too much. Sounds like you have a great collection!

7. August 21, 2011 6:25 am

‘Coriolanus’ has the best poster compare to others

• August 21, 2011 7:36 am

It shows the tension and a level of anxiety! Def a must watch.