A Frightening Bite!

August 20, 2011

Dreamworks and Disney studios (yes, Disney studios) bring another remake to the big screen that frightens…for all the right and wrong reasons.

Being heralded as a pretty decent remake that appropriately pays tribute to its original and adds just enough extra, I still didn’t find it to be one of the “best vampire movies” that is “surprisingly fresh and original” as some reviews on the web state.

Colin Farrell, Anton Yelchin, Imogen Poots, David Tennant, and others, team up to bring the tale of the “undercover” vampire neighbor next door (Farrell) that haunts and hunts the neighborhood kid (Yelchin) that stumbles upon his dark secret, only to turn around and be hunted by that same neighborhood kid.

One of the best aspects of this film is the usage of vampire lore of old. No, I’m not saying that Dracula shows up, or that people are running around with necklaces made of garlic cloves, BUT a lot of different rules of traditional vampire lore play a big part in this film. Quite the opposite, thankfully, from what is seen in “pretend vampire flicks” that are abundant nowadays. You know what I’m talking about! <COUGH!–“twilight”–COUGH!>

Farrell’s acting in this film is the best part of it. Creepy, frightening, haunting, hungry, dark, and evil, he also plays the part of dashing, smooth, flirty, cool, and innocent very well. He impressed. The rest of the cast: mediocre at best, but as far as B-movies are concerned, I’ll give them an “A” for effort! Perhaps the funniest of them all being David Tennant and his role as Peter Vincent, the occult master/vampire specialist/illusionist who is riding his fame for as much as it’s worth, until he must practice what he preaches!

Having not completed the original one from 1985 (it’s on Netflix for those of you interested) I cannot go into great depths of comparison between the two. But I can say this: for some halfway decent entertainment, no sparkling vampires, usage of an accurate cast, and a tedious and scary trip with several forced laughs and a few gasps, go check out Fright Night. Sure it’s got some unbelievable parts in it…but, come on…it’s a vampire flick!

Oh, and the 3D? I wouldn’t say that it’s worth the extra $ for 3D, but if that’s your thing…do it!

Here’s what some other fans had to say about the film. Courtesy my friend Casey Messer and First Fans!

Thanks for reading!

Enjoy if you wish…or don’t enjoy! Happy Watching!

TheSp1der’s Score: 2.5 out of 5 stars for “Fright Night” A great B-movie, just not an A-movie!

Did you see it? What did you think? Share your thoughts.

1. August 21, 2011 10:37 am

I agree with your rant on traditional vampire lore. It drives me crazy when newer vampire tales think that they’re being ‘fresh and hip” by shrugging them off. No, don’t do that. Its part of the whole vampire mystique. I recommend checking out the newer movie Daybreakers. It follows these rules well but includes them in an interesting modern take.

• August 22, 2011 6:20 am

I will check out Daybreakers. Thanks! One other movie that I thought did a great job was Let Me In (the remake to Let the Right One In). A good film!

2. August 21, 2011 4:53 pm

I remember seeing the Fright Night video cover in my local video store and thinking it looked pretty scary. I was also fascinated by the horror section when I was younger, mostly because it was out of bounds to me. Don’t think I’ll bother seeing the remake but Daybreakers sounds interesting.

• August 22, 2011 6:19 am

I will have to check out Daybreakers now!

Ooh, a horror section lover, huh? What would be one of your faves?

3. August 21, 2011 6:16 pm

When I saw the clip at Comic-con, Farrell didn’t seem all that scary to me. Yes he’s seductive (I mean it’s Colin Farrell!) but not nearly as scary as Chris Sarandon was in the original. But I might rent this one as it looks like fun and I like the cast (including Yelchin and Toni Colette), plus David Tennant seems funny in his cameo. No wonder he was the highlight of the movie.

• August 22, 2011 6:17 am

I will await your thoughts whenever you rent it!
      Do you know if Yelchin has plans to try to be in Star Trek 2??

• August 22, 2011 2:30 pm

Oh I don’t know about Yelchin in Star Trek 2. I hope he’d do it, I really like his character… his Russian accent is spot on but yet so funny!

• August 22, 2011 5:38 pm

I hope so too. I’m curious as to what will happen in his ‘Like Crazy’, although I’m not entirely sold on seeing it yet.

4. August 22, 2011 3:30 am

I blooming loved this Movie T. I am gutted that you didn’t get the same feelings as me, but that is the beauty of film, we all get different things from the films hey!!?

I loved the camp humour/horror that was true to the original and others that were made in the 80s. A really good laugh.

Vampires a supposed to have fun, I mean you party all night, never die!! Come on!!

S

• August 22, 2011 6:16 am

LOL. sorry that I didn’t enjoy it as much as you. While Colin Farrell was a brilliant choice for the part (loved how he hissed at so many things), It just wasn’t all that to me! haha

• August 22, 2011 2:31 pm

Ahah, that last line just had me in stitches, Scottie (I still feel weird not calling you Custard). I guess some guys aspire to live like a vampire, huh? 😀

• August 22, 2011 5:37 pm

Party all night, sleep all day, is a great creed for vampires in a movie! that sounds great! LOL.