Movie News Monday for August 29, 2011!

August 29, 2011

Welcome! Today is Monday, and that means it is officially “Movie News Monday!” (“MNM!”)! Thanks for stopping in. I’m glad you’re here!

What is ‘MNM’ all about?

In case this is your first time here, “Movie News Monday!” (MNM) is the place to visit every Monday for a quick recap of trending entertainment news! I’ve collected info, rumors, etc from all over just for you to keep you updated on movies being released, actors/actresses in roles, dvd releases to keep a lookout for, which movie won in the box office over the weekend, etc! Are you ready for your weekly update? Here it is!

This Just In!!…

#1- “The Weekend Winner.” Yes, Hurricane Irene hit the eastern shores this past weekend, and my prayers go out to those impacted (including my cousin whose birthday is today and, in celebration, Irene left a humungous tree on top of her new car! Happy Birthday Cousin D??).

Irene not only impacted my cousin’s car, it also impacted the box office! The lowest ticket sales since February!

This past weekend, more new releases entered the box office arena and for the 3rd week in a row, not a single one of them won the #1 spot. Wow. Definitely a nice surprise once again to see The Help on top for it’s second week in a row. The Help was beat in it’s debut weekend by The Rise of the Planet of the Apes , but has now beaten the likes of it AND Conan, and Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark, and Colombiana, and Smurfs, and…shall I keep going?? 😀

Here are the weekend’s estimated results for Fri, Aug 26-Sun, Aug 28:

1. The Help ~$14.3 million
  2. Colombiana ~$10.3 million (NEW RELEASE)
  3. Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark ~$8.69 million (NEW RELEASE)
  4. Rise of the Planet of the Apes ~$8.65 million
  5. Our Idiot Brother ~$6.58 million (NEW RELEASE)
  6. Spy Kids: All the Time in the World ~$5.7 million
  7. The Smurfs ~$4.8 million
  8. Conan the Barbarian ~$3.1 million
  9. Fright Night ~$3 million
  10. Crazy Stupid Love ~$2.9 million

Congratulations to The Help Once Again!! Woohoo! See, I told you to go see it! 🙂

Click the poster to read the review!

#2-Flatliners to Rise Again. That’s correct. The 1990 Joel Schumacher film which starred Kiefer Sutherland, Julia Roberts, and Kevin Bacon is on its way to a remake. According to Deadline, Sony has hired Source Code writer Ben Ripley to “write a contemporary reimagining of Flatliners…about medical students who dabble too far into near-death experiments.” Perhaps this remake will bring success to up and coming actors like it seemed to do for the careers of Sutherland, Roberts, and Bacon. Who do you think should star in the remake?

Out of all the movies to remake, I definitely didn’t see this one coming.

#3- “The Hunger Games!” Did you watch the VMAs? I tried. But was extremely bored. So, instead of searching for The Hunger Games exclusive trailer, I deleted the recording and decided to find it online! Hooray for technology! haha. In case you missed it, here is the promo trailer for The Hunger Games. If you’re upset about it only being a minute long, blame Castor at Anomalous Material who jinxed it in his comment on yesterday’s post about it:

“Umm it will probably some 30 sec teaser with very little to discuss :/”

haha! -thanks for jinxing it, Castor.

Looking forward to this one…and for better trailers that show more than just Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss running through the forest. But, nonetheless, I can’t wait!

#4- “Sin City 2 updates” Earlier last week, Michael Clarke Duncan announced that he is game to be in director Robert Rodriguez’s Sin City 2, but we haven’t seen much progress on the movie coming to fruition. It now has been revealed that Rodriguez has acquired Academy Award winner William Monahan (The Departed) to do the brushing up of the script for Sin City 2, originally penned by Frank Miller!

Monahan’s impressive resume also includes writing for previously mentioned The Departed, along with Edge of Darkness, Body of Lies, Kingdom of Heaven, and the upcoming film entitled Oblivion– starring Olivia Wilde, Jessica Chastain, and Tom Cruise.

If things go as planned, Sin City 2 could begin shooting before the year is over!

#5- “This Week’s Blu-ray release.” This week, look for the following film on Blu-ray to possibly add to your collection:

Top Gun 25th Anniversary edition, starring Tom Cruise, Val Kilmer and more. Directed by Tony Scott. This high-flying classic is a must-have. Look for the digitally remastered edition in stores this week.

Well, that’s it for this round of “Movie News Monday!”

TheScarletSp1der

up next: “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

1. Trevor permalink
    August 29, 2011 11:50 am

Really? Flatliners remake? This is why we can’t have nice things America. You keep going to watch these half-assed remakes or reboots.

Also heard a rumor (I think) that someone is threatening to redo Top Gun. When that happens, that’s the day I drive to Hollywood and firebomb the studios.

• August 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Top Gun redo, hmm? Now I had heard that TS was game to direct a possible sequel, but a redo? that borders heresy! haha.

thanks for stopping by!

2. August 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Finally back in my place after the hurricane. I have to catch up on the Hunger Games footage.

I think The Help was going to win by default since the east coast couldn’t really go to the movies this weekend.

• August 29, 2011 12:49 pm

Oh wow. I hope all is well for you!

3. August 29, 2011 6:09 pm

That Hunger Games teaser is totally underwhelming. It doesn’t show anything and really kind of expects us to know what the movie is about as if we have read the books.

4. August 29, 2011 6:17 pm

Haha. You’re right Castor! But you jinxed it. Lol. I can’t wait for better trailers, as I mentioned- but in the meantime I wrote a pretty decent spotlight for readers to catch up on! Thanks for commenting as I had some fun mentioning ya!

5. Jack Deth permalink
    August 29, 2011 9:51 pm

Hi, ScarlerSp1der and company:

Around DC, Irene was more of a prolonged Summer Storm with occasional bursts of wind up to between 16-25mph. Hardly a hurricane. Though many falling branches caused unwanted power outages.

That said, the Monday Offering that interest me the most is ‘Sin City 2’. Which definitely has to have Marv and Dwight and Michael Clarke Duncan as big bad bodyguard, Manute. In an earlier tale that explains how he lost an eye.

Second place goes to ‘The Hunger Games’. From which I get a kind of a gritty, murder for mass entertainment, ‘The 10th Victim’ vibe from 1965.

I’m with Trevor regarding a re-make/update of ‘Flatliners’. Which was a perfectly serviceable, very creepy better than B-Movie that doesn’t need or deserve to be messed with.

• August 29, 2011 10:00 pm

Glad that you weren’t affected too entirely bad Jack. We get storms down here in NM, but being landlocked, we get the after affects from weather in the gulf of Mexico!…or California! haha.

I am waiting for The Hunger Games. I wasn’t expecting so many people to be either for or against it as I am finding lately. That’s okay. just surprising to me!

Hope you had a great weekend. Plans for Labor Day?

6. August 30, 2011 2:26 am

Ouchies for your cousins car matey!!

Happy Monday or even Tuesday!! I am back from my little 3 day weekend with loads to catch up on!! eeeeek

• August 30, 2011 9:58 am

Ah, yes, it is Tuesday for me now! ha.

A 3-day weekend, huh? Sounds fantastic. I am about to take one myself! Have fun with your catching up. I feel like I have to do that every day, let alone 3 days. whew!

7. August 30, 2011 8:14 pm

Oh my goodness! I feel so bad for your poor cousin, what a bummer to have it happen any other day, let alone her birthday!!

Well, I echo everyone that the Hunger Games teaser is underwhelming indeed. And all that remakes, ah well, can’t say I’m surprised. Boy it’s been ages since I saw Top Gun, I might rent it from Netflix one of these days 🙂

8. August 31, 2011 7:13 am

Hunger Games will be great. Hey Ruth, are you doing anything fun for the weekend?