This Just In: A David & Goliath Movie?

August 31, 2011

Greetings!

Several movies are in the works lately that expound upon events shared in the Bible.

• Darren Aronofsky (director of Black Swan) is working to get his Noah’s Ark project afloat; possibly to star Christian Bale (Click HERE for more info)!
  • Will Smith’s upcoming project entitled Legend of Cain is also underway featuring a tale of Cain and Abel along with the tossed in theme of this decade in movies: vampires. (Click HERE for more info).

Well, add to the list another Biblical tale that I expected to see on the big screen sooner or later: David and Goliath!

Currently, Relativity Media and Temple Hill Entertainment are set to produce the film entitled Goliath with director Scott Derrickson (The Exorcism of Emily Rose, The Day the Earth Stood Still) at the helm. The account of David & Goliath has always been one of my favorites to read in the Bible!

But, my question would be: Who is to play the giant Philistine champion of Gath and his fatal blow delivering opponent, David (who later becomes one of the most famous kings of Israel)?

As of this point in time, according to TWITCH, it would seem that Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is in talks to play the titular role, and, that Taylor Lautner has been offered the role of David.

There, of course, will need to be plenty of CGI, especially when it comes to the differences in body. Goliath towered over David, but Dwayne Johnson currently stands at 6’5″ while Lautner is close at 5’10”.

No release date information is available at this time.

Thoughts? Do you like the casting rumors? Wish they were different? Think Lautner is up for it? Johnson definitely seems so.

Looks like The Rock will be “smacketh down” by a rock thrown from a sling! (sorry, couldn’t help myself there!) 😀

TheScarletSp1der

up next: Review for The Debt

1. August 31, 2011 12:29 pm

Noooooooooooooooooooo [face palm, head shaking furiously] Please NOT Taylor Lautner!!! Bummer, I would have loved to see this Biblical adaptation, I mean why they haven’t given this story an epic treatment yet is beyond me, but I will NOT watch it with him in it. Sheesh.

Btw, you’ve seen The Debt already? Cool, I’m hoping to catch that this weekend.

• August 31, 2011 12:43 pm

I JUST published the review my friend!

and, as far as TL is concerned. you voiced my sentiments exactly.

• August 31, 2011 9:56 pm

I personally would be willing to give Lautner a chance, but i guess that is just me

• September 1, 2011 2:27 am

…yeah…haha, that is just you!

2. September 1, 2011 2:01 pm

I don’t think they understand what a deep emotional/spiritual character David actually is – and while I think the idea of lautner will get numbers to the theater I can’t imagine he will pull what is needed – think Caveziel in The Passion. And the Rock? Well he will be just like he is in every other movie.

3. September 1, 2011 5:45 pm

I agree. One of my favorite Biblical characters. Not too convinced that Lautner can truly translate that to the screen.Thanks for reading and commenting!

4. September 1, 2011 7:01 pm

Im no Bible expert, by any stretch of the imagination.

But I alwasy thought the moral of David and Goliath was that people thought David had no chance? Are they going to CGI the Rock or something? Because at this point in time, in a straight up fight, my money’s on Lautner.

I’m no fan, but I do know he’s a former martial arts champion….

• September 1, 2011 7:03 pm

they’d have to CGI some of the Rock, or do some LOTR Hobbit magic to shrink Lautner! haha

• September 3, 2011 9:28 pm