It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 66

September 13, 2011

Today is Tuesday, and for most people it’s just the day after Monday, but for you it means: “Time to Vote Tuesday” is here!! YES!!!

What is “Time to Vote Tuesday”?:

Last week’s poll, “Bald is Beautiful” has now closed with a total of 24 and 25 votes for your favorite bald actresses and actors! 🙂 Click HERE to visit and see the results of your choices! Thank you to all that voted! It was fun!

Enjoy this week’s poll entitled “AFI Aficionado.”

Today, Citizen Kane released on Blu ray celebrating its 70th anniversary!

In case you were unaware, Citizen Kane is the #1 movie of all time on AFI’s list of the Top 100! (AFI= American Film Institute). This release caused me to pause and think of how many of the Top 100 films I personally had seen. My answer to that question= 42!! Wow, I have a lot of catching up to do! But, perhaps I’m not alone, hmm! 😀

You have a little bit of homework for this round of “TVT!”

Please visit this link HERE to see the TOP 100 films according to AFI and count the number of films you have watched! THEN, answer the poll below!

Today I ask you…

Yes, I used Star Wars references! Hey, it’s on the list! 🙂

Well, we’ll see just how many YOU have seen. How much of an AFI Aficionado are you? Leave a comment telling me which poll title belongs to you! I am a “wielder of the force!” haha. I’m curious to see what the majority of you all are after the poll closes on 9-20-11 and the results post on next week’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

TheScarletSp1der

Don’t forget to check out the review for WARRIOR. It published just prior to this post.

1. September 13, 2011 10:47 am

I counted 63 that I’ve seen. The highest rated three films I haven’t seen are:

11. CITY LIGHTS
    12. THE SEARCHERS
    17. THE GRADUATE

That was a lot of fun seeing which I have and haven’t seen since I haven’t checked in awhile.

• September 13, 2011 10:48 am

63!! Wow! that’s impressive! The Searchers? I like that one quite a bit! There’s so many I still need to see on the list!

Thanks for checking it out!

• September 13, 2011 8:50 pm

Check out City Lights. I love it. Its probably Chaplin’s best (from my limited Chaplin knowledge anyway).

• September 13, 2011 9:21 pm

I have added it to my ever increasing list!

• TheSilkSpectre permalink
        September 14, 2011 1:00 pm

I totally agree. It’s Chaplin’s best for the boxing scene alone.

2. Jack Deth permalink
    September 13, 2011 11:00 am

Lord Of Film here.

Comes from having one station out of seven devoted to either an actor, actress or genre of films every night through the week back in the early 1960s and spending countless weekends at matinees during 1965 and 66.

All of AFI’s selections are worthwhile, but too often mainstream.

Still don’t understand America’s love affair with ‘The Best Years Of Our Lives’, ‘The Graduate’, ‘Bonnie And Clyde’ and ‘Forrest Gump’.

• September 13, 2011 11:05 am

haha Lord of film!!! Yes! 🙂

thanks for voting sir! Wish I could now spend time watching movies like I did when I was younger too. a LOT of my list of viewed movies on AFI’s list are older films such as 12 Angry Men, Yankee Doodle Dandee, The Searchers, The Maltese Falcon, and more.

Must say though, I REALLY love Forrest Gump myself. not a fan, Jack?

• Jack Deth permalink
        September 13, 2011 11:56 am

Hi, ScarletSp1der and company:

I enjoyed Gary Sinise’s role as Lt. Dan much more than Hank’s Forrest Gump.The film seems too fixed and formulated. For a better look at pre and post Vietnam America. Try Arthur Penn’s ‘Four Friends’. Or Karel Reisz’s ‘Who’ll Stop The Rain’.

Bigger fan of older films than most of the newer
        offerings today. The titles you mention in your reply are classics and should be required viewing
        just to display the richness of the craft and the magic of shadows, lighting and B&W way back when. 🙂

• September 13, 2011 2:23 pm

I think more people should be required to see the classics too! It’s what I grew up on, but I am in the minority.

Thank you.

• September 13, 2011 1:37 pm

I really enjoy Forrest Gump. I might’ve enjoyed it more four years ago when I didn’t realise how manipulative it is, but I still find Tom Hanks’ Forrest is one of the best lead roles.

I have come to appreciate ‘Pulp Fiction’ and ‘Shawshank Redemption’ more than Forrest Gump, the two movies that lost at the Oscar’s to Gump.

• September 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Tom Hanks is one of my favorite actors and his Forrest Gump one of my fav roles. But I have to agree with Jack too in that Gary Sinise is one of my faves in the film!

so, how many on the list have you seen Max?

• September 14, 2011 8:39 am

I mentioned earlier that I had seen 63. I guess it’s a pretty decent number after looking around here. I guess I was always more interested in what people think is a ‘classic’ as opposed to more modern classics.

This is why I still have Terminator and American History X in my too watch pile. : O

• September 14, 2011 9:31 am

I somehow missed your “63.” sorry.

I think everyone has tons that they are still waiting to see. no worries there mate!

3. September 13, 2011 12:32 pm

I’ve only seen 35. Wow! I’m just a lowly apprentice.

• September 13, 2011 1:10 pm

Well I saw about 10 less movies than you Castor, so yeah I’m just a lowly apprentice myself. Right T, lots of catching up to do for me, too, obviously.

Btw, Ben-Hur is #100?? What?? It should be way higher on this list than Spartacus, heh.

• September 13, 2011 2:19 pm

I noticed Ben Hur was #100! but then I said to myself…at least it made the list! woohoo!!

so many classics to catch up on!

• September 13, 2011 2:22 pm

ha, have tons of catching up to do. Like myself!

4. September 13, 2011 8:54 pm

I’ve seen all 100. In fact, I have done a series of blog posts about the list, documenting my thoughts on each movie and on their position on the list. If you are interested you can check it out here:http://ianthecool.wordpress.com/category/movie-reviews/afi-recap/

I think their top 5 films are really hard to argue with. Kane, Casablanca, Godfather, Gone with the Wind and Lawrence are all brilliant and the highest of classics.

• September 13, 2011 9:22 pm

I remember your post! thanks for sharing it. I will be checking it out again!

all hail the Jedi Movie Master, IantheCool 🙂

5. September 13, 2011 11:16 pm

Just tipped over 40 so I am not as much as a film n0b as I though!! 🙂

• September 14, 2011 7:07 am

at least you are not “Jar Jar Binks” status my friend! 🙂

6. September 14, 2011 1:17 am

I use icheckmovies.com to keep track of all possible lists, makes these type of question quick to answer. Also a great resource if you are looking for lists 🙂

I had seen 64 of them, which I’m pretty happy with…still lots to see though!

• September 14, 2011 7:05 am

thank you for the link my friend! I will be using it. I never heard of it before!

64!! Woohoo! thats awesome work right there! You are a “Wielder of the Force!”

• September 14, 2011 7:14 am

It’s been around for a while and have been using it for a while. It also allows you to import you IMDB vote history (if you use that) saving you lots of time on having to check them manually….

7. September 14, 2011 6:42 am

I’m apparently a wielder of the force, but that’s because my husband and I are watching all 100 (from the 1998) list. It’s been a really fun project so far, although we’re kind of slow about it. 🙂

• September 14, 2011 7:04 am

That’s awesome! I’m sure that project will take some time. My friends and I tried doing that in college and we got to #3. haha. I plan on trying to complete the list. Like I said, I’m only at 42.

8. September 14, 2011 8:22 am

Yeah, we started with 100 in 2005, and we’re now on 44. But we have not been watching these exclusively, of course. 🙂

• September 14, 2011 9:32 am

if only hollywood would stop putting out new releases so we could catch up on the old ones, huh? 😀

9. September 14, 2011 8:47 am

I count 60. Better get watching some more movies! 🙂

• September 14, 2011 9:30 am

haha! don’t worry. You and I and many others!

10. September 14, 2011 9:31 am

Interesting that The Sixth Sense is on this list. That’s a surprise to me. It’s good but it isn’t as good as Unbreakable.

• September 14, 2011 9:39 am

wow. your comment is indeed interesting to me. I don’t know I’ve had anyone tell me that they prefer Unbreakable over The Sixth Sense. But then again, I haven’t gone out asking everyone either.

• September 14, 2011 10:04 am

I for one would put Unbreakable before Sixth Sense, so yay Dan! 😀

• September 14, 2011 9:33 pm

🙂

11. TheSilkSpectre permalink
    September 14, 2011 1:58 pm

41. Thought I’d have more. But not bad 😉

• September 14, 2011 9:32 pm

awesome! 59 more to go!

12. September 15, 2011 5:24 am

I am too lazy to count…but I think it was around 10 to 35

• September 15, 2011 6:26 am

haha. that’s a wide range!

• September 15, 2011 8:41 am

Hahah…you are the one who make the range that wide!! i am in cinematic apprentice

• September 15, 2011 7:29 pm

Nov! You’re the best! thanks so much for always visiting! I think about you before every Time to Vote Tuesday segment, as I know that it is your fave part of my site! Hope you are doing well my friend!

1. It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 66 « Scarletsp1der's Blog