My Top 17 Most Iconic Movie Images

September 17, 2011

It’s the weekend!! Today I’d like to leave you with a meme that has been circling the blogosphere for a few days now: Top Movie Iconic Movie Images

Ruth over at Flixchatter posted her 16 images on the 16th, following Claire’s top ten, who followed Nick over at Anomalous Material who started it with his 13 most iconic movie images. I decided to follow suit and create my own list. And, since it’s the 17th, why not do my Top 17?!!

As stated over at Flixchatter, there will be no caption for these pictures. They are iconic enough and should be recognizable anyways! All from moments that captured us into the film when we watched it! Enjoy my picks! (They are in no particular order!)

I hope you enjoyed my list! It was so hard narrowing it down to 17! Here’s a look at a few others that almost made it onto my list:

• Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise on escalator (Rain Man)
  • Sharon Stone seated in that chair (Fatal Attractions)
  • Sylvester Stallone running up the steps (Rocky)
  • Atreyu trying to rescue Artax from drowning (The Neverending Story)
  • Patrick Swayze kissing Jennifer Gray on the floor (Dirty Dancing)
  • Patrick Swayze kissing Demi Moore (Ghost)
  • Jimmy Stewart surrounded by family and friends (It’s A Wonderful Life)
  • Tom Hanks about to shake Michael Clarke Duncan’s hand in the prison (The Green Mile)

Share some of your iconic movie photos moments! Create your own list! Leave a comment!!

Thanks to Ruth, Claire, and Nick for the continuing meme! Be sure to check out their lists too (links are at the top in yellow).

TheScarletSp1der

Don’t forget to check out yesterday’s post: My Top 10 Movie Rain Scenes for another great list of movie memories!

1. September 17, 2011 9:27 am

Really liked this list. I’m surprised that there was no Shawshank on here :P. Read my reviews when you get the chance 🙂

• September 17, 2011 9:42 am

Hello Matt! I was going to put Shawshank on here. good call, but I also included it on the previous post right before this one! Check that one out if you get the chance!

Thanks for commenting! i will be visiting your site!

2. September 17, 2011 9:35 am

Great choices! I especially like Darth and Luke, and the Emerald City. I really like The Wizard of Oz but if I watched it now I still think I’d be freaked out by the flying monkeys!

Thanks for the link 🙂

• September 17, 2011 9:42 am

well, you helped inspire me to do this! I HAD to give tribute to whom tribute is due! 🙂 You have an amazing list yourself!

Have a fantastic weekend! Thanks for stopping by my list!

3. Jack Deth permalink
    September 17, 2011 10:11 am

Hi, ScarletSp1der and company:

Outstanding selection, Scarlet!

Appreciate your image of Heath Ledger’s ‘Joker’. Not many can pull off such a striking ensemble with green hair. Or carry the role as Batman’s greatest, near equal nemesis so well!

Also admire Al Pacino’s choice in Personal Home Defense Weapons Systems. Nothing can touch the M-16/M-203 Rifle-Grenade Launcher combination for weight, versatility and range!

While I was reading Puzo’s ‘The Godfather’ a year before the film came out, I had someone else in mind (Nevillle Brand’s Al Capone from TV’s old ‘The Untouchables’) for the role of Don Corleone.

Didn’t think Brando could pull it off, but I wrong. Brando made the role his own and did it style and elan!

Ahhhhhh! The top from ‘Inception’! Is Cobb living in a dream at the film’s end?

I’m leaning towards not. Since the top was wavering before the screen blacked out.

Charlton Heston as Moses parting the Red Sea? Iconic images don’t get much more iconic than that!

• September 17, 2011 10:21 am

Greetings Jack!
      You’re right about Heath Ledger. Was sad when he passed. Thanks for commenting!

This was a lot of fun. and, when it comes to The Godfather, I don’t know who else could play it now. They better not touch it when it comes to this whole remake trend! that’s for sure!

Love that fact that you really enjoyed the selection today! Thanks for letting me know!

Enjoy a fantastic weekend!

4. September 17, 2011 10:24 am

AW…you like BIG too. I miss that movie

• September 17, 2011 6:28 pm

I LOVE Big, and the simplicity of it! Glad you do too!!

5. September 17, 2011 11:13 am

Some nice choices yeah, like the Batman one. I think i am going to try to do this one, although some of my iconic movie images aren’t exactly PG-13. I’m hoping that won’t be too much of a problem for people

• September 17, 2011 6:28 pm

Do yours too man. This was a lot of fun. I’d only say, put what you want, but remember the word “iconic” referencing highly recognizable

6. September 17, 2011 1:54 pm

I like this idea. I understand that these are probably subjective picks, but for the most part many could easily be included in a more encompassing list of images in the collective pop culture psyche (with the exception of The Rock and the newer films Inception and Dark Knight).

I would also add the T-Rex stepping out between the jeeps in Jurassic Park, the opening Star Destroyer chase in Star Wars, Rick and Ilsa at the plane in Casablanca, and the incoming helicopters from Apocalypse Now.

• September 17, 2011 6:27 pm

JP is always such a great choice, but I actually like the scene of the Velociraptors in the kitchen over the T-Rex!

Ya know, I ALMOST added the Casablanca image too! ooh, good call. Are you considering making your own list?

7. Stepheny permalink
    September 18, 2011 10:46 am

Great list. If I were to make my own, I would definitely add in the opening shot of Malcolm McDowell in A Clockwork Orange!

• September 18, 2011 8:03 pm

A Clockwork Orange…very iconic indeed! Glad you liked the pics!

8. September 18, 2011 5:31 pm

Just got back from my camping trip, thanks for the shout out, T. Great list, I’d agree with a lot of them here, they’re iconic indeed. Props for including the one from 10 Commandments, so we both have one of Charlton Heston’s classics on our list, cool!

That animated gif on the Bond one is uber cool, can’t believe I forgot to include a James Bond pic as I love that franchise.

• September 18, 2011 8:02 pm

Hope you had a great time camping! Welcome back! Glad you like my selection as well. It sure wasn’t easy narrowing it down! 🙂

9. September 19, 2011 2:17 am

Happy Monday T!!

I love these iconic image posts!! I will not do one as I have left it too late now!! LOL Would be like my 30 top iconic or something!! HAHA

Great work my friend!

• September 19, 2011 8:09 am

Hi Scott! How was your weekend?

thanks for liking the post! It was a lot of fun to make. You can make one too! I think you should. You don’t have to do as many pics as I, or match the number with the date…I just did so. But I’d love to see what you pick.

Thank you for the compliment. I’ll be over to FRC after work today!

10. September 19, 2011 7:19 am

Sweet list! So happy you joined in! The images from Big & Platoon are so iconic. Love those two. And the one from Back to the Future.

• September 19, 2011 8:09 am

thanks for starting it and for the inspiration. It was a lot of fun thinking about all of them! thanks again!

11. September 19, 2011 9:53 am

Before I even looked at the pictures, I thought to mysef, “Doc Brown and Marty better be standing in the DeLorean’s flames in one of these!” Good job!

12. September 19, 2011 2:20 pm

Fun list! I’m with you on Platoon and Scarface — they would probably be on my list, too.

13. September 19, 2011 8:19 pm

Thanks Eric! You should make your own too!

14. September 19, 2011 8:20 pm

Haha. Thank you. Great minds do think alike! Glad it met your approval. 🙂

15. September 20, 2011 12:30 pm

Great list, especially the Spider-Man image which is for some odd reason, always in my mind.

16. September 20, 2011 1:52 pm

Thanks Dan! And, yes, that image of Spiderman is also one of my favorites. That scene is a direct copy from that very same scene in the comics! Glad they used it in the film.