It’s here…Monday! I look forward to Mondays. Not only because HOUSE, MD. is on Fox, and not only because of Monday Night Football, but also because every Monday that the sun rises means that “Movie News Monday!” (“MNM!”) has arrived!! 🙂
What is ‘MNM’ all about?
In case this is your first time here, “Movie News Monday!” (MNM) is the place to visit every Monday for a quick recap of trending entertainment news! I’ve collected info, rumors, etc from all over just for you to keep you updated on movies being released, actors/actresses in roles, dvd releases to keep a lookout for, which movie won in the box office over the weekend, etc! Are you ready for your weekly update? Here it is!
This Just In!!…
#1- “The Weekend Winner.” This weekend, a new release FINALLY claimed the #1 spot in the box office. And it did so in a BIG way, completely knocking out the competition and claiming stake to the championship! Actually, new releases claimed the top TWO spots this past weekend. What did YOU watch?
Here are the weekend’s estimated results for Fri, Oct 7-Sun, Oct 9 (as per Box Office Mojo):
- Real Steel ~$27.3 million (NEW RELEASE)
- The Ides of March ~$10.4 million (NEW RELEASE)
- Dolphin Tale ~$9.16 million
- Moneyball ~$7.5 million
- 50/50 ~$5.5 million
- Courageous ~$4.6 million
- The Lion King (3D) ~$4.55 million
- Dream House ~$4.5 million
- What’s Your Number? ~$3.05 million
- Abduction ~$2.9 million
#2- “Separation Anxiety.“ This past week, two different news stories about directors cutting ties with their films hit the web. Interestingly enough, one director was taken off of a project, while the other one wishes to be removed from any affiliation with his project. Check it out:
- Dredd– Director Pete Travis (Vantage Point) has been asked to keep away from any and all post-production work on the upcoming film starring Karl Urban as the titular hero. While filming has completed, reshoots may be necessary as the director and producers/executives apparently weren’t seeing eye to eye even during the filming process. Travis has since been removed from the project and writer Alex Garland (28 Days Later) may be picking up the title of co-director in the credits as he appears to be taking the helm in Travis’ absence.
- Dream House– Director Jim Sheridan, apparently, petitioned the Directors Guild of America over the summer to have his name removed from the project that is bombing in theaters. Unfortunately, the 6-time Oscar nominee did not have his request granted. No pseudonym, no removal of his name. He initially claimed the desire for separation due to his dissatisfaction with the final cut of the movie. Following disagreements about editing escalated the desire even further. But, Sheridan, you’re stuck with it.
I wonder what they would’ve done if the director and the main actor were the same person? Especially in Dredd‘s case.
#3- “J. Edgar posters!” J. Edgar has two new posters out that show off just a ‘tad’ of patriotism! 🙂 I really like the posters.
DiCaprio stars as the historically famous J. Edgar Hoover who founded of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The film covers Hoover’s career and his obsession of tracking down criminals. Directed by Clint Eastwood, J. Edgar co-stars Armie Hammer, Naomi Watts, Jeffrey Donovan, Judi Dench, Ed Westwick, Josh Lucas and Stephen Root. Look for it in theaters on November 9.
#4- “New Happy Feet 2 Trailer!” A new trailer has hit the web for the sequel for Happy Feet, Happy Feet 2!! Robin Williams, Matt Damon, Brad Pitt, (Damon and Pitt together for the first time since Ocean’s Thirteen) Sofia Vergara, John Goodman, and many others team up for this delightful animated adventure. Check out the trailer below.
Happy Feet Two releases on November 18.
#5- “This Week’s Blu-ray release.” This week, look for the following films on Blu-ray to possibly add to your collection:
Tree of Life– Brad Pitt, Jessica Chastain, and Sean Penn star in this Terrence Malick film that covers a wide ranged look at life…beginnings, endings, continuations, and more. A polarizing film that will intrigue some and bore others. Click HERE for my review of the film!
Horrible Bosses– Jennifer Aniston, Kevin Spacey, Colin Farrell, Jamie Foxx!!…and those are just the supporting actors in this hilarious comedy about friends who share a bond over bosses they can’t stand and decide to act upon their common disgust! I did not review this one, but I did enjoy it! Check it out.
Green Lantern– Also releasing this week on Blu-ray (Friday). Ryan Reynolds stars as the DC superhero with power and responsibility brought on by a “chance” encounter. Watch as he battles against enemies unfamiliar and daunting. Click HERE for my review of this hopeful, yet unsatisfying, superhero film!
Well, that’s it for this round of “Movie News Monday!”
Thanks for reading! Happy Watching!
up next: “Time to Vote Tuesday!”