Movie News Monday for October 17, 2011!

October 17, 2011

It’s here…Monday! No, I don’t mean “Monday, as in the boring back-to-work/routine day.” I mean, the exciting Monday that is…“Movie News Monday!” (“MNM!”) has arrived!! 🙂

What is ‘MNM’ all about?

In case this is your first time here, “Movie News Monday!” (MNM) is the place to visit every Monday for a quick recap of trending entertainment news! I’ve collected info, rumors, etc from all over just for you to keep you updated on movies being released, actors/actresses in roles, dvd releases to keep a lookout for, which movie won in the box office over the weekend, etc! Are you ready for your weekly update? Here it is!

This Just In!!…

#1- “The Weekend Winner.”  This past weekend the #1 spot in the box office went to a repeat contender from last week…but barely! The remake of Footloose and the prequel to The Thing made their presence known as well in theaters, but overall, Real Steel won Round 2!

Here are the weekend’s estimated results for Fri, Oct 14-Sun, Oct 16 (as per Box Office Mojo):

1. Real Steel ~$16.3 million
  2. Footloose ~$16.1 million (NEW RELEASE)
  3. The Thing ~$8.7 million (NEW RELEASE)
  4. The Ides of March ~$7.5 million
  5. Dolphin Tale ~$6.3 million
  6. Moneyball ~$5.5 million
  7. 50/50 ~$4.3 million
  8. Courageous ~$3.4 million
  9. The Big Year ~$3.3 million (NEW RELEASE)
  10. The Lion King (3D) ~$2.7 million

Congratulations, once again, to Real Steel

#2- “Villain Role Already TAKEN. Taken 2 is underway to begin production. The upcoming sequel to the Luc Besson hit starring Liam Neeson will once again feature Neeson as retired CIA agent Bryan Mills. The sequel’s synopsis will focus on Bryan and his wife being kidnapped by the revengeful father of one of the men who kidnapped Mills’ daughter, Kim, in Taken. This time around the daughter will help to save the father (and mother), by using the tactics learned from Mills and following his direction.

The role for the villain in Taken 2 has now been reported to be filled by none other than Rade Sherbedgia.

According to THR:

Sherbedgia will play Murad, the father of a kidnapper slain by Bryan Mills (Neeson) in the first film. Murad is described as a vengeful man who gives orders and doesn’t take them. When Murad takes Mills and his wife hostage, their daughter is enlisted to help save them.

Taken 2 is set to release on October 5, 2012 and stars Liam Neeson, Rade Sherbedgia, Famke Janssen, and Maggie Grace. Luc Besson returned to co-write the script, and Olivier Megaton (Colombiana, Transporter 3) is directing this film

#3- “2 New posters!” The Three Stooges and Red Tails both have new posters released. Check them out below!

#4- “No Losing that Loving Feeling!” It is being reported that the writers for the amazing Marvel film X-Men: First Class are in negotiations to pen the script for the upcoming sequel to the Tony Scott classic, Top Gun. No word still if Tom Cruise or Tony Scott will be a part of the project, but rumor has it that Jerry Bruckheimer may produce it.

X-Men: First Class grossed over $350 million worldwide! The writing team partnered up with Bruckheimer and possibly Scott and Cruise may be a dynamite combination! What are your thoughts about this news?

#5- “This Week’s Blu-ray release.” This week, look for the following films on Blu-ray to possibly add to your collection:

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides– Johnny Depp returns to the open seas and is joined by the likes of Ian McShane, Penelope Cruz, and more! This adventure brings even more to the screen with zombies, mermaids, pirates, and more! Click HERE  for my review of the film!

Batman: Year One– I am a big fan of all of the animated Batman features and am looking forward to adding this one to my collection. While it does not feature  Kevin Conroy as the voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman, it does feature Bryan Cranston as Commissioner Gordon! Look for this one at your local video store this Tuesday!

Well, that’s it for this round of “Movie News Monday!”

TheScarletSp1der

up next: “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

1. October 17, 2011 12:24 pm

Wow that Red Tails movie poster is ridiculously awesome!

• October 17, 2011 5:02 pm

I really like the poster myself! It’s siiickk!

2. Jack Deth permalink
    October 17, 2011 12:25 pm

Hi, ScarlerSp1der and company:

I’m not that surprised by the Comic Book looking poster for Red Tails. The poster looks great and oozes Joe Kubert’s style made popular with his Johnny Cloud: The Navajo Ace comics for DC in the early to mid 1960s.

Also looking forward to Batman: Year One for its Frank Miller style and Bryan Cranston as Lt., then Captain and finally Commissioner Gordon. Have no problem with Ben McKenzie from TNT’s impressive Southland as the voice of a young Bruce Wayne.

• October 17, 2011 5:03 pm

I always love Kevin Conroy as Batman, but I will be getting this one and checking out McKenzie~

3. October 17, 2011 2:15 pm

Oh dear T, I’m afraid I’m not a happy bunny after reading about a Top Gun sequel and a Taken sequel! 😛

The plot of Taken 2 sounds awful… Have they not seen Taken? There is no way that Liam Neeson’s character would get kidnapped!

That Red Tails poster is great, though 😀 I’ll give it a Google and find out what it’s about.

• October 17, 2011 5:04 pm

Yeah, Neeson wouldn’t be caught. I have very mixed feelings about the Taken 2 plot.

4. October 17, 2011 4:17 pm

The plot for Taken 2 actually sounds interesting, to me anyways.

• October 17, 2011 5:05 pm

I like the fact that Rade will be in it, myself, but I must agree with Claire…it’s highly unlikely that Mills would be caught. Look at all he did in Taken. We’ll see what happens. How have you been??

• October 17, 2011 5:25 pm

I guess. I just think it could make for a interesting role reversal..although perhaps it would have been better to use that idea in a separate original movie(perhaps with Deborah in the lead role :P)

And i’ve been fine. I’m trying to do a few horror posts for October.

• October 18, 2011 10:01 am

we shall see, yeah? I liked Taken, so hopefully the sequel will be great!

5. October 17, 2011 4:19 pm

Happy Monday, T. Oh man, Taken 2?? With the baddie from The Saint? I think I’ll skip that one.

I like Top Gun and it’s no surprise they’re remaking that one. But hey, given my love for First Class, I take this as good news!

• October 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Not even a BIT interested in Taken 2? Surprises me. I thought you liked the first one.

Yeah, First Class writers for Top Gun 2 looks like a winning combo!

6. October 18, 2011 4:54 am

Some interesting news there T.

HAHA Yeay for Top Gun 2!! LOVE IT…L-O-V-E IT!!!

• October 18, 2011 10:00 am

HAHA! glad you are a fan Scott!! 🙂 How are things for you lately?!

7. October 18, 2011 2:14 pm

I can’t see anyone else as Batman other than Conroy, so I’ll be picking up Arkham City today and listen to hours of his dialog. I guess I would be interested in Batman:Year One when it inevitably hits Netflix.

• October 19, 2011 10:42 am

ah man, I need to pick up the game here soon myself!! Glad you are a Conroy fan too!