Movie News Monday for November 14, 2011!

November 14, 2011

Welcome to this week’s edition of “Movie News Monday!” (“MNM!”)!! 🙂 What is ‘MNM’all about?

In case this is your first time here, “Movie News Monday!” (MNM) is the place to visit every Monday for a quick recap of trending entertainment news! I’ve collected info, rumors, etc from all over just for you to keep you updated on movies being released, actors/actresses in roles, dvd releases to keep a lookout for, which movie won in the box office over the weekend, etc! Are you ready for your weekly update? Here it is!

This Just In!!…

#1- “The Weekend Winner.”  This past weekend, Puss in Boots‘ run for the #1 spot in the box office 3 weeks in a row was threatened. With new releases such as Immortals and Jack and Jill entering the arena, victory remained all but certain for the furry feline fighter. The winner of the weekend box office truly seemed to have favor on their side as Puss in Boots bowed down to the likes of, not 1, but apparently 2 new releases!

Here are the weekend’s estimated results for Fri, Nov 11-Sun, Nov 13:

1. Immortals ~$32 million (NEW RELEASE)
  2. Jack and Jill ~$26 million (NEW RELEASE)
  3. Puss in Boots ~$25.5 million
  4. Tower Heist ~$13.2 million
  5. J. Edgar ~$11.4 million (NEW RELEASE)
  6. A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas ~$5.9 million
  7. In Time ~$4.2 million
  8. Paranormal Activity 3 ~$3.6 million
  9. Footloose ~$2.7 million
  10. Real Steel ~$2 million

Congratulations to Immortals

#2- “Singh and the Samurai!!” Tarsem Singh (director of Immortals and the upcoming Snow White tale Mirror, Mirror) mentioned this past week that a desire of his is to direct a full-length feature live action Samurai Jack movie!

The 3-season animated series from the Cartoon Network “centered on a warrior from feudal Japan banished into the future by a shape-changing demon, with the warrior battling aliens and robots as he tries to find a way back. The show was known for its varied art styles, the use of split screens and multi-angles, and for long sequences that were dialogue free, all of which contributed to it winning four Emmys.”

In regards to making a movie, Singh admires the “epic style, pace, and art” and said “I love Samurai Jack. I would love to direct that.” “It’s brilliant. The speed, it embraces where it comes from. I find that comic strip films are halfway grounded. They don’t play my chord. But I love Samurai Jack. I love the animation,”

Since the rights belong to Cartoon Network, there will obviously be necessary negotiations. A live-action film was planned once before with Brett Ratner supposedly attached to the project via New Line Cinema, but that fell through when the rights went to Cartoon Network.

Well, we shall see soon enough if Samurai Jack slices his way into the theater! Who do you think should play the legendary Jack?

Source- THR

#3- “The Hunger Games official theatrical trailer!” Yes! Finally, it’s here!

The theatrical trailer for The Hunger Games has arrived!!! It debuted this morning on Good Morning America and you can see it here!

Oh man!! What do you think? Looks pretty good!

For more on The Hunger Games, be sure to check out my coverage of it and the full story/background HERE.

#4- “Going HAYWIRE with Action!” Just as Steven Soderbergh’s upcoming spy-thriller action film, Haywire, is full of stars, this new trailer is full of action. See Michael Fassbender and Gina Carano go at it in their punch-packing scene, along with others!

Here is the official synopsis for this upcoming film, along with listed cast:

This dynamic action-thriller directed by Oscar® winner Steven Soderbergh (Traffic) boasts a talented cast that includes Channing Tatum (GI Joe: Rise of the Cobra), Ewan McGregor (The Ghost Writer), Michael Fassbender (X-Men: First Class), Antonio Banderas (The Legend of Zorro), Bill Paxton (“Big Love”), Michael Douglas (Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps), Michael Angarano (Almost Famous); and introduces mixed martial arts (MMA) superstar Gina Carano as Mallory Kane, in a demanding lead role that has her performing her own high-adrenaline stunts.

Mallory Kane is a highly trained operative who works for a government security contractor in the dirtiest, most dangerous corners of the world. After successfully freeing a Chinese journalist held hostage, she is double crossed and left for dead by someone close to her in her own agency. Suddenly the target of skilled assassins who know her every move, Mallory must find the truth in order to stay alive.

Using her black-ops military training, she devises an ingenious—and dangerous—trap. But when things go haywire, Mallory realizes she’ll be killed in the blink of an eye unless she finds a way to turn the tables on her ruthless adversary.

Check out the second trailer! What do you think?!

#5- “This Week’s Blu-ray release.” This week, look for the following films on Blu-ray to possibly add to your collection:

Larry Crowne– Directed by, Written by, and starring Tom Hanks, follow the story of a middle-aged man who must rediscover/re-invent himself after being laid off from his job! Along his journey he finds more meaning in friendship, love, and life.

Also releasing: Click HERE

Well, that’s it for this round of “Movie News Monday!”

TheScarletSp1der up next: Time to Vote Tuesday!

Quick important note: TODAY is the LAST DAY to vote for the Superhero President! Hope your favorite candidate will win? Share the poll, join the debate, Vote, Vote, Vote!! Click the picture below for the link!!!

1. November 14, 2011 8:51 am

The Hunger Games looks spectacular! I cannot wait!

• November 14, 2011 6:25 pm

indeed it does

2. November 14, 2011 10:12 am

Glad you saw Immortals, too. I enjoyed it for Tarsem’s visuals and Henry’s on-screen charisma.

I haven’t seen HG trailer yet, will do in a bit during my lunch break. I actually just bought the book and so far I like the story. Hopefully it’ll be a far cry from Twilight.

• November 14, 2011 6:26 pm

Ooh, you bought the book!! YES!! I am excited for you!! Glad you like it so far! I have a strong feeling it will be soo much better than Twilight. I, for one, at least like the story. That’s a major plus in the right direction already!

3. November 14, 2011 10:28 am

Well I am looking forward to Hunger Games, but I have a feeling since the book was so loved could just be another Eragon and Twilight Saga?

Anyway, great post!

• November 14, 2011 6:27 pm

Thanks Matt! I truly hope and expect this to be MUCH better/different from Eragon and Twilight!!

4. November 14, 2011 10:30 am

Oh! I almost forgot! am doing a tournament where people vote on the greatest actor and actress in history! I thought you might want to participate 😀 If so, just go to my, it has already started, and you’ll see where to comment and vote! 🙂

• November 14, 2011 6:28 pm

Ah! That sounds fun! I will be over there directly!!! Thanks for letting me know.

5. Cat Woman17 permalink
    November 14, 2011 11:13 am

Wow, a Samurai Jack movie! I loved watching that series everyday. As far as who should play Samurai Jack, I don’t really know who would be the best actor for him. And finally, a trailor for the Hunger Games! And I am happy to see that Puss in Boots stayed on top for so long!

• November 14, 2011 6:29 pm

Yeah, Pretty interested in a Samurai Jack film!!

I am excited for The Hunger Games myself too. Have you read the books?

You already know my sentiments on Puss in Boots! haha

6. November 14, 2011 12:15 pm

The Hunger Games definitely looks intriguing. I wished they would show more of the actual Hunger Games, the kids killing each other but I guess it could turn off a lot of people ahah. Hopefully, this will way better than Twilight…

I’m off to see Immortals later this afternoon 😉

• November 14, 2011 6:31 pm

I know what you mean, but I am glad they are reserving some of that until later too!

Ooh, I can’t wait to see your thoughts on Immortals! I know that Ruth is putting hers together as well. I hope to have my review up this upcoming Wednesday probably. We’ll see.

7. Jack Deth permalink
    November 14, 2011 4:09 pm

Hi, ScarlerSp1der and company:

I’d go to a ‘Samurai Jack’ film. Been a fan of Genndy Tartakovsky’s Alex Toth inspired minimalist work going back to ‘Dexter’s Lab’ and ‘The Powerpuff Girls’. Always thought his animated ‘Star War: Clone Wars’ was infinitely better than the latest computerized Lucasfilm offering.

• November 14, 2011 6:32 pm

I must say, you always have a surprise for me Jack! I didn’t think you’d be a fan of a Samurai Jack film! Glad to see you had an ace up your sleeve.

I gotta agree with you on your star wars comment! haha. Thanks for poppin in.

8. November 14, 2011 4:43 pm

I hope no Samurai Jack live action. I loved S J, I’d hate to have another “Last Airbender” sullying a good cartoons name.

Meanwhile, yeah, Hunger games. Looks good!

• November 14, 2011 6:33 pm

I know what you mean, but I tend to think that Singh’s style would be right for it. The Last Airbender’s problem was M. Night Shyamalan thinking he could re-invent it.

9. November 14, 2011 6:49 pm

Hunger Games trailer looks pretty good… this is a rare instance where I actually read the book before I watch the movie

I can already see myself turning into one of those “the book was better” people o.O

• November 14, 2011 7:04 pm

Haha. I feel ya. All the same..I really can’t wait either!

10. November 14, 2011 11:50 pm

Yeay for Hunger Games!! Weird cos I hated the thought of YET another teen franchise coming to the big screen but I am pretty excited now I have seen a trailer

• November 15, 2011 8:15 am

So glad that you are stoked for The Hunger Games now Scott. I hope it doesn’t disappoint!!

1. “Trailer Time Thursday!” 11.17.11 « Scarletsp1der's Blog