Movie News Monday for November 28, 2011!

November 28, 2011

Welcome to this week’s edition of “Movie News Monday!” (“MNM!”)!! 🙂 What is ‘MNM’all about?

In case this is your first time here, “Movie News Monday!” (MNM) is the place to visit every Monday for a quick recap of trending entertainment news! I’ve collected info, rumors, etc from all over just for you to keep you updated on movies being released, actors/actresses in roles, dvd releases to keep a lookout for, which movie won in the box office over the weekend, etc! Are you ready for your weekly update? Here it is!

This Just In!!…

#1- “The Weekend Winner.”  This past weekend the #1 spot in the box office was successfully grabbed once again by the vampires and werewolves! Over the Thanksgiving weekend 3 new wide releases gave Twilight a run for the money, and they did well, but Twilight took the top spot again! Glad to see how well The Muppets did over the weekend.

~While the new releases opened on Wednesday (Nov 23) to be available for Thanksgiving day showings, the numbers below include only the 3-day weekend as usual.

Here are the weekend’s estimated results for Fri, Nov 25-Sun, Nov 27:

1. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn (part 1) ~$42M
  2. The Muppets ~$29.5M
  3. Happy Feet Two ~$13.4M
  4. Arthur Christmas ~$12.7M
  5. Hugo ~$11.4M
  6. Jack & Jill ~$10.3M
  7. Immortals ~$8.8M
  8. Puss in Boots ~$7.5M
  9. Tower Heist ~$7.3M
  10. The Descendants ~$7.2M
Other limited new releases: My Week With Marilyn ~$1.8M, The Artist $210K, A Dangerous Method ~$182K

Congratulations once again to Breaking Dawn.

#2- “Riddick Rouses Up Some Cash!!” Vin Diesel takes his time before reprising a role he has done before and makes sure that things stay true to the character. He is passionate about that. [8 years passed between his appearances as Dominic Toretto in The Fast and The Furious and Fast and Furious (no one counts his little appearance in Tokyo Drift!)].

Well, it is now time once again for him to reprise the role of Riddick which he made famous in 2000’s Pitch Black followed by the less than stellar sequel, 2004’s The Chronicles of Riddick.

Chronicles only earned back about half of what its budget was. $57.7M vs $105M, and, once again, financing had apparently stalled the production of the third film. It is now being reported that finance disputes and balances have been settled and that production may begin as soon as next month (Dec 28)! Let’s hope that they stretch every dollar and make the movie super amazing!

#3- Red Dawn Rises with Release Date!” The remake of the 1984’s Red Dawn -which starred Patrick Swayze, Charlie Sheen, and more- was supposed to launch in theaters on November 24, 2010! After being on hold due to bankruptcy issues with MGM, director Dan Bradley may have seemed doubtful that his project would ever find a distributor and be released.

1984 version

The remake, which also focuses on a group of friends in an American town that bands together to fight against invading forces, changed the invading enemy originally from the Soviets to the Chinese. But, after concerns of not securing a distributor for the film, it was changed once again to North Korea. Red Dawn stars Chris Hemsworth,  Josh Hutcherson, Adrianne Palicki, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Isabel Lucas, Josh Peck, and Brett Cullen and will launch in theaters on November 2, 2012.

#4- “John Carter’s photo set!” Disney’s upcoming film John Carter (initially entitled John Carter of Mars after the novel it is based on) has some new photos out. If you don’t know about this film yet, here is the synopsis:

From Academy Award(R)-winning filmmaker Andrew Stanton comes “John Carter”–a sweeping action-adventure set on the mysterious and exotic planet of Barsoom (Mars). “John Carter” is based on a classic novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs, whose highly imaginative adventures served as inspiration for many filmmakers, both past and present. The film tells the story of war-weary, former military captain John Carter (Taylor Kitsch), who is inexplicably transported to Mars where he becomes reluctantly embroiled in a conflict of epic proportions amongst the inhabitants of the planet, including Tars Tarkas (Willem Dafoe) and the captivating Princess Dejah Thoris (Lynn Collins). In a world on the brink of collapse, Carter rediscovers his humanity when he realizes that the survival of Barsoom and its people rests in his hands.

(See the trailer HERE)

What are your thoughts? Look for the film in theaters on March 9, 2012!

#5- “This Week’s Blu-ray release.” This week, look for the following films on Blu-ray to possibly add to your collection:

The Smurfs– In case you missed the box office blockbuster (by accident…or on purpose, like myself), if you are so inclined, the blue ones come from the big screen to your home this week. The Smurfs did a total of ~$142M in the box office! A very impressive run which has sparked the beginnings for the sequel!

Also releasing: Friends with Benefits, One Day, and Tucker and Dale vs. Evil.

Well, that’s it for this round of “Movie News Monday!”

TheScarletSp1der

up next: Time to Vote Tuesday

1. November 28, 2011 8:45 am

Good news on the Riddick sequel. Although the second movie wasn’t mind blowing it was an enjoyable popcorn movie. Vin Diesel is one of those actors I watch in almost anything so I’m sure I’ll go and see it.

Shame that the Muppets weren’t on number one. Looking forward to seeing it once it comes out over here.

• November 28, 2011 11:26 pm

Any idea as to when the Muppets will launch your way?

• November 29, 2011 3:12 am

8th of February, so it’s still some months to go before I’ll be able to enjoy it!

• November 29, 2011 9:23 am

it’ll be here before you know it!

2. November 28, 2011 10:48 am

John Carter looks awesome. I look forward to it.

Btw, i wanted to ask you something. Would you find Tobey Maguire too old to play Lawrences love interest in my pitch? I think Tobey looks rather young, but i just read he is 35, so i’m not sure whether it will seem creepy on screen.

• November 28, 2011 11:26 pm

I really hope John Carter will be good, but I still have some reservations.

3. November 28, 2011 11:26 am

Mornin’ T, greetings from Seattle. I miss going to the movies, would have to catch up when I get back from vacay. Not sold on John Carter yet because of the cast, though the trailer looked ok. Might be a rental depending on the reviews.

• November 28, 2011 11:26 pm

Never been to Seattle! Have a good cup o’ Joe for me!

don’t worry, I’ll be in the theaters for you plenty over the next cpl days! 🙂 Enjoy your trip my friend!

4. Jack Deth permalink
    November 28, 2011 11:28 am

Hi, ScarletSp1der and company:

Nice articles and photos!

Couldn’t care less about ‘Twilight’ and its nauseous spawn.

Vin Diesel delivers in whatever role he’s given. From ‘Find Me Guilty’ to
    Riddick and ‘Fast and Furious’. I’m sure his latest adventure will pay off very well.

Having read the E.R. Burroughs’, Frank Frazetta covered, ‘John Carter’ paperback series ages ago. The director will have to reach deep into his Special Effects bag of tricks to pull off this film.

It looks like he’s off to a decent start!

• November 28, 2011 11:25 pm

Vin Diesel does pretty well in all of his roles, I will agree. Although I wasn’t a fan of ‘A Man Apart’

5. November 28, 2011 1:19 pm

Yay now I can comment on your blog so much more 😀

• November 28, 2011 11:24 pm

Hooray! I checked out your page. Like I said, I look forward to what else you do on wordpress!

6. yaykisspurr permalink
    November 28, 2011 1:42 pm

That John Carter looks interesting. Fascinating the way you list your news! Thanks 🙂

• November 28, 2011 11:24 pm

Thank YOU very much! Stop in anytime!

7. November 28, 2011 1:53 pm

I can’t wait to see The Muppets, Hugo and Arthur Christmas! They’re fun, feel good films perfect for this time of year.

Before I went to Empire Presents… BIG SCREEN in August I really didn’t know anything about John Carter. I thought the posters looked a bit daft so I kinda dismissed. However, when we saw the clips it looked really good fun. It’s got a strong cast, too.

• November 28, 2011 11:23 pm

I am hoping to see all three over the next few days. (hoping)! haha

I will be interested in seeing how John Carter does in the box office. They better start advertising it very well once the new year begins!

8. Cat Woman17 permalink
    November 28, 2011 4:45 pm

Can’t wait for the Muppets! I’m disappointed it didn’t do as well as Twilight! And I doubt The Smurfs is on your Wanted List of movies.. I really like Vin Diesel and will wait to see what this movie is like.

• November 28, 2011 11:23 pm

The Muppets looks to be a lot of fun.

9. November 28, 2011 9:49 pm

John Carter looks intriguing although the March release is a bit suspect. I hope it’s a good one!

• November 28, 2011 11:22 pm

you bring up a good point. I hadn’t considered the first quarter release date, but then again The Hunger Games is releasing in the same month, I believe that one will be good.

10. November 29, 2011 3:18 am

I am quite up for another Riddick film. Such an intriguing anti-hero.

John Carter looks pants… In my opinion, I await news that I have been proven wrong!!

Hope you are well T!! Haven’t spoken to you in ages

• November 29, 2011 9:23 am

I am looking forward to another Riddick film myself. I really like Diesel quite a bit!