Movie News Monday for December 5, 2011!

December 5, 2011

Welcome to this week’s edition of “Movie News Monday!” (“MNM!”)!! 🙂 What is ‘MNM’all about?

In case this is your first time here, “Movie News Monday!” (MNM) is the place to visit every Monday for a quick recap of trending entertainment news! I’ve collected info, rumors, etc from all over just for you to keep you updated on movies being released, actors/actresses in roles, dvd releases to keep a lookout for, which movie won in the box office over the weekend, etc! Are you ready for your weekly update? Here it is!

This Just In!!…

#1- “The Weekend Winner.”  This past weekend the #1 spot in the box office was ONCE AGAIN taken by the vampires and werewolves! :/

The slow theatrical weekend saw no new wide releases, so the masses gave Twilight their money. (I really hope that changes this upcoming weekend!…Go see The Muppets, people!)

Here are the weekend’s estimated results for Fri, Dec 2-Sun, Dec 4:

1. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn (part 1) ~$16.9M
  2. The Muppets ~$11.2M
  3. Hugo ~$7.6M
  4. Arthur Christmas ~$7.4M
  5. Happy Feet Two ~$6M
  6. Jack & Jill ~$5.5M
  7. The Descendants ~$5.2M
  8. Immortals ~$4.4M
  9. Tower Heist ~$4.1M
  10. Puss in Boots ~$3.1M
It is with such heartfelt enthusiasm that I congratulate Breaking Dawn once again.

#2- “M. Night Shyamalan and The Smiths!” Director M. Night Shyamalan lately hasn’t seen as much success as he had in his earlier career it seems. You may recall how it was reported earlier this year that he plans to bring a new movie to theaters starring both Will Smith and his son Jaden. Entitled One Thousand A.E., the film is to tell the story of a man and his son whose spaceship crash lands on earth 1,000 years after humanity abandoned the planet.

Recently, Director Shyamalan tweeted that the title for his upcoming film has been changed to After Earth, and that shooting should begin in 9 weeks (February). One can’t help but wonder if Shyamalan is hoping that the “Smith” blockbuster power will bring in more $ and fans. We all know that Mark Wahlberg’s star power didn’t really work for The Happening.

#3- “Why Waldo?!” Well, Jennifer Lopez is looking to produce (and possibly star in) a movie about Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego! And, I’m okay with that. However, this news makes me once again wonder what Hollywood is thinking: A screenwriter has been hired for a Where’s Waldo movie! ???

MGM has acquired the movie rights after Paramount/Nickelodeon and Illumination Entertainment turned it down. According to THR, “the Paramount/Nickelodeon project would have featured Waldo, a grown man, traveling through various eras after accidentally activating a time machine, but MGM is keeping the story of its project under wraps.”

Todd Berger (The Happytime Murders) has accepted the daunting test of making Waldo a character worth following and finding for 90 mins or more. I guess if they can make an alien invasion/love story movie based on a boardgame (Battleship) then, they figure they can make a movie that requires the audience to possibly work together to spot the elusive character. Not really sure what their aiming for here. Thoughts? What would this movie look like?

#4- “New International trailer for John Cusack’s The Raven!” Edgar Allen Poe (John Cusack) and a Baltimore detective (Luke Evans) team up to solve a series of murders that emulate those of the author’s penmanship in the upcoming thriller The Raven. The trailer seems rather telling and dark. Also starring Alice Eve and directed by James McTeigue (V for Vendetta) Look for The Raven to release on March 9, 2012!

#5- “This Week’s Blu-ray release.” This week, look for the following films on Blu-ray to possibly add to your collection:

The Help– The amazing (and hopefully Oscar-winning) performances of Viola Davis, Emma Stone, Bryce Dallas Howard, Jessica Chastain, and more tell the story of an aspiring writer working to bring a taboo controversial topic to print via less than orthodox methods, and it shakes the very foundation of her town in many ways! Based on the best-selling book! This is a must watch! Click the picture for my review:

Also releasing: (click any title in gold to read my review) Cowboys & Aliens, The Hangover part II, The Debt, and Mr. Popper’s Penguins.

Well, that’s it for this round of “Movie News Monday!”

TheScarletSp1der

up next: “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

1. Trevor permalink
    December 5, 2011 8:40 am

A “Where’s Waldo” movie and Breaking Dawn is #1 again.

This is why we can’t have nice things, America.

Though I am ridiculously excited for a “Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?” movie. Those games were pure genius when I was a kid. And the PBS show was pretty awesome.

• December 5, 2011 7:25 pm

yeah, some ridiculousness going on in Hollywood these days! ha.

Glad to know I wasn’t the only fan of the PBS game show! I still know the whole theme song by heart! haha. Do it Rockapella!

2. December 5, 2011 8:56 am

I’m looking for to ‘The Raven’. Thanks for the heads up.

• December 5, 2011 7:27 pm

you and I both! absolutely! It looks to be pretty sweet!

3. December 5, 2011 9:10 am

The Raven looks like a great little thriller.

On the M. Night Shyamalan news, I don’t think any amount of star power is going to save him unless he can write the sort of screenplays he was producing back when The Sixth Sense/Unbreakable were released. He has become too predictable and far too pretentious to be taken seriously anymore.

• December 5, 2011 7:28 pm

Dan! how you been man?

I used to be a big fan of M. Night…let’s just say that I am hopeful for him to come back to his glory days!

4. December 5, 2011 9:37 am

Interesting to see what is going on with Shyamalan, Twilight is still in the lead and Where’s Waldo: The Movie, really?

• December 5, 2011 7:29 pm

Rich! Thank you for stopping in and visiting my small page here! I will be sure to be visiting your page here shortly!

I’m not too sure what a Where’s Waldo movie would be like…but it does concern me a little bit. ha.

5. December 5, 2011 10:20 am

The Raven looks awesome.

And seriously, a Waldo movie?WTF Hollywood

• December 5, 2011 7:34 pm

haha. Wonder who they will try to get to play as Waldo. Weird…right?

6. December 5, 2011 2:10 pm

Surprising that there was no major release this past weekend, especially given how busy most other weekends have been all year.

• December 5, 2011 7:34 pm

I did find that rather odd. oh well.

7. yaykisspurr permalink
    December 5, 2011 6:07 pm

Everyone is hating on the Where’s Waldo movie and I get it, not something I want to watch BUT my nephew finds the news enthralling as he loved the books.

Any new M. Night Shyamalan movie I’d wait to see based on popularity because these last ones have been stinkers…I’ve not really liked one since Sixth Sense…

The Raven looks good. The idea for this post is great! Cheers…

• December 5, 2011 7:35 pm

I really liked the books and even the cartoon of Where’s Waldo, but I’m not sure who even the target audience would be for a WW movie.

Thank you for your kind compliment!

8. December 5, 2011 7:54 pm

After Earth sounds neat. I could be persuaded to take an interest.

• December 6, 2011 6:31 pm

I want M. Night to be good again…we’ll see.

9. December 6, 2011 1:21 am

Honestly, I know it will suck, but a Where’s Waldo movie is way too fun for me to pass up! 😀

• December 6, 2011 6:31 pm

haha. I’m not sold on it yet. I used to watch the cartoon though years ago…that was fun! They would post a page of one of the books on the tv at the end and give you abt 1 min to find waldo while they play music!

10. December 6, 2011 5:36 am

Where’s Waldo?? Waldo?? Is it not Wheres Wally?

🙂

• December 6, 2011 6:30 pm

didn’t know it was “Where’s Wally” over in the UK…I like Waldo more!

11. December 6, 2011 8:41 am

One Thousand A. D. may only do well because of Wil Smith. Shyamalan isn’t doing too well these days. Lopez and ‘Where’s Waldo?’ Don’t see it. What is she going to do with it? Her trying to find another man in a sea of red and white striped shirts? Pass! Now ‘The Raven,’ I can’t wait to see!

12. December 6, 2011 3:06 pm

I’ve never understood why it’s Where’s Wally in the UK but Where’s Waldo in the USA!

I’m looking forward to seeing The Raven though I’ve read a few Edgar Allan Poe books so I know it’ll be very, very odd!

• December 6, 2011 6:33 pm

Like i was telling Scott…I like Waldo more! LOL.

i wish that The Raven wasn’t coming out in the spring…that’s usually indicative of it being not so great. I hope I’m wrong!

13. December 6, 2011 8:39 pm

Blech, Twilight wins again. I’m curious about The Raven but yeah, why out in Spring time?? It’d be much great if it’s out around Winter, fits the dark mood of the story better I think.

I’ve got some time off before the end of the year so I’ll be able to catch up on movies I missed, especially The Help!

• December 6, 2011 10:18 pm

YES! you must watch The Help my friend. I hope you are able to truly enjoy your upcoming time off! I would also implore you to just go see The Muppets already!