Happy Hook Day!!
(a fantastic fanmade trailer by YouTube user ARHCxXx007)
20 years ago today my favorite movie of all time released. Filmed entirely on sound stages over 117 days followed by several more months of editing and cutting over 140 hours of film and then adding sound and music, Hook began to come together beautifully for Steven Spielberg and crew. The emotion and excitement can be felt in this behind the scenes look at the final take of the movie:
Hook stars Robin Williams, Dustin Hoffman, Julia Roberts, Bob Hoskins, and more and was directed by Steven Spielberg! It received negative reviews from critics and cynics, but disproved them all by being loved by audiences with over $300M grossed worldwide and multiple nominations in the 64th Academy Awards!
Why do I love it so much that it receives the title of “My favorite movie of all time!” ?
- I have always loved the story of Peter Pan from a child. The idea of never having to grow up and being able to enjoy adventure always is exciting!
- Who doesn’t want to be able to fly?
- Hook has an amazing angle on the story by allowing a grown up to be able to experience it once again. (There can always be second chances!).
- Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman gave some of the best performances of their entire careers respectively.
- The boyhood gang style of the film that was so prevalent in the 80s and 90s always makes a great connection with audiences (The Sandlot, Little Rascals, The Goonies, Stand By Me, Little Giants, etc).
- Plus! The FANTASTIC musical score composed by the one and only John Williams. It is so masterful and appropriate that instantly transports you into the world of Neverland and Peter Pan!
Two of my favorite scenes of the film:😀
Enjoy some great “Did you know?” facts from imdb about HOOK:
- Dustin Hoffman’s three children make appearances in the movie. His youngest son, Max Hoffman plays 5 year-old Peter Pan. His daughter, Rebecca Hoffman plays Jane in the play at the beginning of the movie, and his oldest son, Jake Hoffman plays a little league player in Jack’s baseball game.
- The kissing couple who begin to float when some fairy dust lands on them are actually George Lucas and Carrie Fisher in a cameo.
- One of the pirates who attempts to steal Peter’s shoes when he first arrives in Neverland is played by singer Jimmy Buffett.
- Steven Spielberg admitted to being disappointed with final result of the movie.
- Kevin Kline was originally set to play Peter Pan, but had to drop out of the film because of Soapdish which was having major re-shoots, re-writes and taking much longer than expected to complete shooting. Tom Hanks was also considered for the role.
- Julia Roberts was nicknamed “Tinkerhell” because she was difficult to deal with.
- David Bowie turned down the role of Captain James Hook.
- After Peter Pan finds his kids kidnapped he is talking with the inspectors, the main inspector is Phil Collins.
- Gwyneth Paltrow’s second film. She appears briefly, as the teen-aged Wendy during the quick sequence as Wendy is growing up.
- The pirate shut in the chest with the scorpion was played by Glenn Close.
Due to the YouTube user’s request to not allow embedding, I couldn’t post it, but this behind-the-scenes featurette is absolutely worth watching if you love HOOK!: HERE
Thanks for reading! Happy Watching!
up next: Movie News Monday!