Movie News Monday for December 19, 2011!

December 19, 2011

Welcome to this week’s edition of “Movie News Monday!” (“MNM!”)!! 🙂 What is ‘MNM’all about?

In case this is your first time here, “Movie News Monday!” (MNM) is the place to visit every Monday for a quick recap of trending entertainment news! I’ve collected info, rumors, etc from all over just for you to keep you updated on movies being released, actors/actresses in roles, dvd releases to keep a lookout for, which movie won in the box office over the weekend, etc! Are you ready for your weekly update? Here it is!

This Just In!!…

#1- “The Weekend Winner.”  This past weekend finally had some better numbers than the first couple of weeks of December had. The #1 spot in the box office was up for grabs by several titles (including an IMAX early release of MI-4)! Although starting off better than other December new releases, this past weekend’s top 2 new wide releases had some pretty low starts when compared to their respective predecessors.  The previous films of both the Sherlock Holmes franchise and the Alvin & the Chipmunks franchise opened with ~$20M more than their sequel counterparts did this past weekend! Wow!

Here are the weekend’s estimated results for Fri, Dec 16-Sun, Dec 18:

1. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows ~$40M
  2. Alvin & the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked ~$23.5M
  3. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol ~$13M
  4. New Year’s Eve ~$7.4M
  5. The Sitter ~$4.4M
  6. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn (part 1) ~$4.3M
  7. Young Adult ~$3.65M
  8. Hugo ~$3.62M
  9. Arthur Christmas ~$3.6M
  10. The Muppets ~$3.45M

Congratulations to Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows!

#2- “A Very PARAMOUNT Change!” In honor of the 100th anniversary of its humble beginnings, Paramount Pictures has changed its logo that appears in front of every one of its movies. The change highlights the 100 year celebration and will precede every Paramount Picture in the year 2012. (Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol was actually the first film to receive this upgrade!) Take a look:

Old vs. New

The 100 year insignia will disappear after 2012 and just showcase the peak along with the 22 stars encircling it! What do you think of this slight change?

#3- “300 Prequel Has Found A Leading Lady!” Although no male lead has been chosen for the prequel to the 2006 box office smash hit 300, it would appear that a leading lady has been found. (Joel Edgerton was in talks to star as the male but has since declined). Eva Green (Casino Royale) may play Artemisia in 300: Battle of Artemisia which is supposed to begin filming next year. Negotiations are still underway but the outcome is highly likely.

According to THR:

The epic follow-up to 2006’s Gerard Butler action pic 300 sees the Persian king-turned-god Xerxes lead an army against Greek forces, who have little training but are under the guidance of a general named Themistokles. (The giant battle at the center of this movie is supposed to occur at the same time as the fighting in 300.)

Green would play a ruthless, gold-covered goddess who persuades Xerxes to amass his army and helps lead them into battle.

#4- “Teaser Trailer for Casa de Mi Padre!” Will Ferrell’s upcoming film has a new teaser trailer. Releasing March 16, 2012, Casa de Mi Padre‘s plot, according to IMDB, is as follows:

Scheming on a way to save their father’s ranch, the Alvarez brothers find themselves in a war with Mexico’s most feared drug lord.

It looks silly, but may be fun in a Three Amigos sort of way, mix with your usual “Ferrell-ism!” What do you think?

#5- “This Week’s Blu-ray release.” This week, look for the following films on Blu-ray to possibly add to your collection:

Warrior– The MMA setting for more than one battle fought. Follow the story of one man fighting to keep his family afloat, one man fighting to gain the respect and love back from two estranged sons, one man fighting for personal reasons still unknown, and a woman fighting to support her husband. All warriors in their own regard. This one packs a punch in action, drama, emotion, and spirit! Very much one of my favorite films of this year! This is a must watch! Click the picture for my review:

Also releasing: (click any title in gold to read my review) the fantastically, beautiful must-watch film Midnight in Paris, starring Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams, Marion Cotillard, Tom Hiddleston, Adrien Brody, Kathy Bates, and directed by Woody Allen! Do. Not. Miss. This. Film!

and then: Colombiana, Straw Dogs, Dolphin Tale, and Glee 3D)

Well, that’s it for this round of “Movie News Monday!”

TheScarletSp1der

up next: “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

1. December 19, 2011 10:21 am

Geez. I know its a teaser, but all that Casa de mi Padre trailer has to offer is “Look! It’s funny seeing Will Ferrell speaking spanish.”

I hope there’s more to the movie than that, but… there might not be. LOL

• December 20, 2011 3:48 am

I hope so too! It looks to be fun! We need movies like this from time to time. They can’t all be Black Swans or Winter’s Bones!

2. December 19, 2011 10:36 am

Hi T, well I was hoping one day Gerry Butler & Eva Green would star together as lovers, how steamy would that be 😉 But I don’t think they’d share screen time together in the 300 prequel even if GB were to have a small part.

• December 20, 2011 3:47 am

now…wouldn’t THAT be a movie!?!! ha!

3. December 19, 2011 4:54 pm

Casa de mi Padre looks like it could be a return to form for Will Ferrell. I certainly hope it’s going to be hilarious fun. Looking forward to finally see Warrior. And I just posted a feature for the Midnight in Paris DVD/Blu-ray release 😀

• December 20, 2011 3:39 am

I am really pumped to get both Warrior and Midnight in Paris on BD!

ooh, I hope you review Warrior BD on your page! I will keep a lookout!

4. December 20, 2011 3:06 am

Excuse me while I stare into the eyes of Eva Green, just for a little longer….. yum yum

• December 20, 2011 3:35 am

haha! Yeah, I like that picture too! You better grab a towel there, Scott, I think a little bit of drool is seeping out of the corner of your mouth! haha

5. December 20, 2011 8:49 am

Chiming in a bit late here but I guess i’ll be seeing Sherlock 2…so many ppl have recommended it that i can no longer fight it LOL

Although I’m probably not as high on Eva Green as some of you fellas 😉 I do like her a lot and wish she made more movies that actually get released here…which the 300 prequel presumably will be…so that’s decent.

Missed Warrior in the cinemas, will probably at least rent, but i will be buying Midnight in Paris…though i always cry when i see it cos i miss Paris so much.

• December 20, 2011 8:55 am

NEVER too late to chime in! Always welcome here, Paula!

I will b interested in your thoughts on SH2, since you just have to go see it now! now that everyone has twisted your arm! LOL 😀

Midnight in Paris is such a beautiful film. Did you used to live in Paris? or just visit?

6. December 20, 2011 9:38 am

I think it’s cool Paramount is using a centennial logo.

• December 20, 2011 10:52 am

thanks for commenting! I rather like it myself!

7. December 20, 2011 3:44 pm

I love the new Paramount logo! Congratulations to Paramount for 100 years of movie magic.

I agree with Ruth, Eva and Gerard together would be very steamy 😉 I can definitely see Eva in the 300 world, though.

Casa de Mi Padre looks like great fun plus it has the beautiful Gael García Bernal – I’ve loved him since The Motorcycle Diaries!

• December 20, 2011 9:53 pm

haha! Ruth may just have something there with Gerard and Eva, huh?

I like the sun in the new Paramount logo. Kinda like shining light on new possibilities and beginnings!