The Hobbit vs The Dark Knight Rises

December 20, 2011

Okay! so, in case you have been under a rock for the past year, here is a big shocker of a surprise: 2012 will bring a ton of great movies which will include none other than the conclusion of the Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy, along with Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit (pre-cursor to The Lord of the Rings)!

…and boy, it’s going to be great to see them both on the big screen!

This week: New trailers launched for each of these highly anticipated films! Check them out below!

The Dark Knight Rises (July 20, 2012)

The Hobbit (December 14, 2012)

IF (and I do say “IF”), you were forced with the highly impossible and unlikely ultimatum to choose 1 of these 2 films to watch in 2012 (ONLY ONE!), I ask you…

I want to know which one you are genuinely most interested in! Leave a comment, tell me why! I may recommend you consider and take a gander at the directors, actors, storylines, etc, of each one! It’s a toughy!!

[btw, what do you think of the new poster for The Hobbit?]

Thanks for reading! Happy choosing!

TheScarletSp1der

1. December 20, 2011 9:49 pm

Very tough choice T! I would say Batman at this point because no one really knows what Nolan is going to do to close out his trilogy, although in terms of the trailers, the one for The Hobbit is a lot better I thought.

• December 20, 2011 9:51 pm

Thanks for stopping in and voting on this late post of the evening!

Yes, I must agree that the trailer for The Hobbit is a LOT better. Man, it just transports ya right back into the world that we love from LOTR. But, we already know how The Hobbit ends whereas we don’t quite know what Nolan is going to do with Batman! Good choice! Very tough!

2. Akka permalink
    December 20, 2011 10:02 pm

Batman. Easy. The Hobbit trailer was kinda “meh” for me.

• December 20, 2011 10:10 pm

the Hobbit trailer was “meh” for ya, huh? interesting! I am right there with Rodney…I was super-stoked seeing Gandalf again!! woohoo!

but if I were to vote (I abstain from voting on the polls I produce here), I’d probably be choosing Batman for the reasons I stated in my response to Castor!

Thanks for voting. Miss ya here on the page!

3. December 20, 2011 10:06 pm

I agree with Akka – the Batman trailer is the better produced advertisement overall, but man, I think I had a geek-gasm when I saw frickin’ Gandalf doing his thing again. The film slate for 2012 is going to rule for a very long time, I think. Batman, Avengers, Hobbit…. good God, it’s bliss….!!

• December 20, 2011 10:13 pm

Man o man!! ha! I cannot wait for 2012 in cinemas! It will truly be epic! So many goodies!

Thanks for poppin in and voting Rodney! Really appreciate the participation!

4. December 20, 2011 10:09 pm

Great idea for a poll. I voted for The Hobbit, loved every second of the trailer. I really think it will be a wonderful return to the magic of LOTR and it has Richard Armitage as Thorin. I can’t ask for anything more.

• December 20, 2011 10:14 pm

thanks! it really just hit me wondering what I would choose! Both look EPIC!! ha!

another vote for The Hobbit! Thanks for voting. It really is nice seeing a lot of what we miss from LOTR!!

5. December 20, 2011 10:35 pm

Haha! The Hobbit all the way! But T, which one do you like most? πŸ˜€

• December 20, 2011 10:57 pm

lol. I still would have to choose The Dark Knight Rises. As much as I love LOTR!

but when it comes to which trailer (not which movie) I really love The Hobbit’s trailer so much more!!

• December 21, 2011 12:13 am

Haha I really love both of the series, even though I am one of the few who think Batman Begins is better than the Dark Knight!

and you’re right, the Hobbit trailer is definitely the better one.

6. December 21, 2011 1:47 am

I honestly can’t choose at this moment in time. Why isn’t there a “both” option on the poll! I think I’m a bit indecisive about it right now because on Sunday I marathoned all three extended LOTRs. So, it’s really fresh in my mind and really got me wanting more.

Everything in The Hobbit looks just like how it should be, in my mind. Even the beautiful music. Just takes me back.

TDKR looks AMAZING and has made me want to go back and visit Begins and TDK.

All I can say is this is my favourite week for film trailers πŸ˜€

• December 21, 2011 3:18 am

HA! No “both” option! this is a hypothetical situation! LOL.

You must choose! The blue pill, or the red pill! πŸ˜€

this has been a fantastic week for movie news/trailers you are right! Thanks for commenting!

now…choose you must! πŸ™‚

• December 21, 2011 3:18 am

btw, LOVE the fact you had a LOTR marathon. Did you do the extended versions?

7. December 21, 2011 2:31 am

I automatically said Batman just because I am not a big LOTR fan, never was. But then again, I liked the Hobbit trailer, it looks better then the LOTR movies, so I will give that a chance, too! As for Batman, I am sick of all this madness and publicity it’s getting and I really hope it will live up to its hype next July!

• December 21, 2011 3:16 am

Batman is a great choice. No argument from me.

I, too, hope (but also believe) that the film will meet up to its hype. It’s Christopher Nolan! It’s Christian Bale, It’s Michael Caine, It’s Tom Hardy, It’s Morgan Freeman, It’s Marion Cotillard, It’s Gary Oldman!

It will be GREAT!

8. December 21, 2011 2:59 am

Is it ok if I leave this vote?

I am not trying to be a grumpy pants, I just love both of these films and do not want to choose… Yes I want my cake and I want to eat it!! HAHA

• December 21, 2011 3:14 am

Tweeted by myself after reading Scott’s statement above:

@FrontRoomCinema should place his vote here instead of takin the easy way out! πŸ˜‰ #NoHavingCakeAndEatingItToo haha

He replied, and then graced us with a vote! All in good fun! Hence the following statements beneath! πŸ™‚

9. December 21, 2011 3:05 am

There I voted…. bully πŸ™‚

(I joke)

• December 21, 2011 3:12 am

hahaha. Thanks for placing your vote! πŸ˜€ That was real funny man! I was rollin!

10. December 21, 2011 6:08 am

An interesting battle and one I find difficult to choose a winner. I am looking forward to both and I think they’ll be brilliant.

…but perhaps Dark Knight is a preference as it looks to conclude a story while The Hobbit will be the first part of two.

• December 21, 2011 8:27 am

Dan, you bring up an interesting idea. suggesting that since The Hobbit releases in December and is part 1 of 2, then in 2012 just watch The Dark Knight Rises and once January comes, then watch The Hobbit!

ha! That’s a good way around the system! The Dark Knight Rises should be winning this poll then! haha

11. December 21, 2011 7:22 am

Without a doubt, ‘The Hobbit.’ I am in love with Tolkien’s books. The Dark Knight has been done up, and over countless times and will serve as a “empty” movie experience. Well, at least for me. So ‘The Hobbit’ it is!

• December 21, 2011 8:36 am

Thanks Aidy for taking the time to vote and comment! The Hobbit is a great choice!

I am surprised at your comment that TDKR will be an “empty movie experience.” You really think so? Nolan has only ever failed in one thing (IMHO) and that was casting katie holmes in Batman Begins. But he made up for it when he recast the part to Maggie G.

12. Jack Deth permalink
    December 21, 2011 8:01 am

Hi, ScarlerSp1der and company:

Peter Jackson’s latest franchise doesn’t do much for me.

My brush with Tolkein was long ago and far away. When Ralph Bakshi was animating and Roto-Scoping ‘The Lord of The Rings’ in the late 1970s. I still prefer his earlier, ‘Fritz the Cat’ and ‘Wizards’.

Looking forward to Nolan’s ‘The Dark Knight Rises’. Though I don’t believe Anne Hathaway can pull off a believable or worthwhile Catwoman.

• December 21, 2011 8:39 am

Another vote for TDKR!! Yes!

Not looking forward to The Hobbit at all?

We’ll see how Anne Hathaway does. I don’t think she will be all that bad, but it depends on what Nolan has in plan for the character too.

• Jack Deth permalink
        December 21, 2011 10:53 am

Hi, ScarletSp1der:

I would prefer to see and think it would be smarter to use an athletic blonde actress as Harley Quinn
        (Beth Reisgraf’s ‘Parker’ from TNT’s ‘Leverage’ leaps to mind and would be a solid fit!) seeking revenge on Batman and Gotham City for the death of The Joker. Than having a One Trick Pony Anne Hathaway trying to take on such an
        iconic character as Catwoman.

• December 21, 2011 1:53 pm

ooh, she WOULD be a good Harley!

I remain dubious as to Nolan’s pick in Hathaway and Catwoman for that matter, but I think he will still make it work so very well! I will be interested in your thoughts once the film releases!

13. December 21, 2011 11:40 am

Oh don’t make me choose!!! I am highly anticipating both and fortunately, they come out like half a year apart so I really don’t have to choose which one to watch πŸ˜€

• December 21, 2011 12:05 pm

haha! you must choose! (Maniacal Laugh!) [if you would just watch The Muppets, already, you would get that subtle funny nod to it!] πŸ˜‰

I want to know which one you are more genuinely looking forward to. Doesn’t mean you don’t want to watch either one, just…which one do you want to watch just a little bit more! I want to know! πŸ™‚

Choose! mwah-hahahaha!

• December 21, 2011 1:17 pm

I really can’t man, even if you put a gun to my head I’ll probably end up getting my head blown off (well hopefully not as that means I get to see neither) Both have elements and cast members I really like… so please T, don’t make me choose πŸ™‚

• December 21, 2011 1:53 pm

Lol.

14. December 22, 2011 6:40 pm

That’s a tough call, but right now I would choose The Hobbit, simply because it has always been one of my favorite books. Can’t wait to see both though.

• December 24, 2011 6:30 am

both will be fantastic! ha, thanks for taking the plunge and placing a vote!

15. December 23, 2011 9:47 am

THE HOBBITS!!!! I don’t have to think for this.
    As much as I love Nolan (and the cameo appearance by lovely Cillian) but I took J.R.R Tolkien fantasy anytime over any Superhero movies.

I am not a superhero fan. Tobe honest, Batman is the only superhero movie I want to watch right now. Despite all the great reviews on Thor, I still have no desire to see it yet…probably later when it is showed in TV.

• December 23, 2011 10:44 am

After seeing both trailers….Gyaaaa!! I can”t wait to see The Hobbits!!!
      Martin Freeman looks great as Bilbo

• December 24, 2011 6:34 am

πŸ™‚ too bad it’s a whole year’s wait!

• December 24, 2011 6:32 am

i forgot you aren’t into the superhero movies! I knew, however, you would choose The Hobbit! πŸ™‚

16. December 23, 2011 4:13 pm

I’m a little late to the party but my vote is for The Hobbit! Both trailers were fantastic and these two are definitely my most anticipated films of 2012.

Have a lovely weekend, T! Not long till Christmas day now πŸ™‚

• December 24, 2011 6:34 am

Thank you Claire! I hope your weekend is truly wonderful as well. I cannot wait to clock out of work tonite and be done! Christmas time will be here once the clock strikes 4:30pm! πŸ™‚

17. Roman permalink
    December 30, 2012 4:23 pm

Trailer for The Hobbit is better than The Dark Knight Rises. But the trailer for Batman done on purpose so that you will not disclose everything in the movie. That is my opinion.

• December 31, 2012 1:13 pm

Thanks for chiming in. It’s interesting that TDKR trailer got the most amount of views in 2012, but I still loved the trailer for The Hobbit more myself. πŸ™‚

1. β€œTrailer Time Thursday!” 12.22.11 « Scarletsp1der's Blog