Mission: Impossible- Ghost Protocol
- Starring: Tom Cruise (Top Gun), Jeremy Renner (The Hurt Locker), Simon Pegg (Hot Fuzz)
- Directed by: Brad Bird (The Incredibles, Ratatouille, and Up)
- Synopsis: Blamed for the terrorist bombing of the Kremlin, IMF operative Ethan Hunt is disavowed along with the rest of the agency when the President initiates “Ghost Protocol.” Left without any resources or backup, Ethan must find a way to clear his agency’s name and prevent another attack. To complicate matters further, Ethan is forced to embark on this mission with a team of fellow IMF fugitives whose personal motives he does not fully know.
I must tell you, when I first learned about MI-4 coming I was appalled, frightened, disappointed, and any other adjective you can think of that describes my frustration with sequels that are done on top of already bad sequels! I mean, there hasn’t been a decent Mission Impossible movie since the very first one!
Before everyone gets mad at that last statement, hear me out! ha! The first one did well introducing us to the vibe of the series with impossibilities being accomplished along with crazy feats and incredible gadgets/spy work! And Jon Voight? YES! The second one was boring. What do you remember from it aside from Tom Cruise hanging off the side of the mountain while rock-climbing, or him endo-ing on the motorcycle? And, the third one? Well, it was a decent action flick, but was only “Mission Impossible” in name alone, not in style!
So, when the 4th installment was announced, I had some very high reservations and concerns. I remember saying: “Well, at the least, Jeremy Renner could rescue the franchise, Right?!” HA!
Well, let me tell you, after leaving the screening for this film I found myself once again one of the biggest fans of the MI franchise since the original! Finally, Mission Accomplished!
Director Brad Bird, who is more well-known for his animated films (The Iron Giant, Up, The Incredibles), did not stray from his usual performance and landed another solid flick. Along with the assistance of producers Tom Cruise and J.J. Abrams and a heart-pounding fantastic musical score from Michael Giacchino (2009’s Star Trek), Mission: Impossible- Ghost Protocol is another solidly crafted piece of explosive entertainment!
Why do I say it is so good?
- Tom Cruise actually holds well as the action star of the film! While he is aging (he’ll be 50 next July), he still is amazing as Agent Ethan Hunt and still insists on performing his own stunts because he believes it helps increase the believability of his character with the audience. He just may have something there, because he had me believing in Agent Hunt and the mission! Say what you will about Tom Cruise: love him, hate him, etc! He is the backbone of this series and film and did fantastic reprising his role!
- There are tons of white-knuckle, nail-biting, hair-raising scenes that will keep your eyes glued to the scene. No snoozers in this film! I GUARANTEE!
- The supporting cast added the correct amount of everything that was missing in the previous 2 installments. (Again, I’m not saying the previous 2 were completely void of anything good, just that this one had the “correct amount”!) The comic relief of Simon Pegg; the mystery of Jeremy Renner; the sultry power of Paula Patton; and all of the rest! While there are a few moments of questionable acting or storylines, the balanced was superb! (Most impressive addition to the franchise award goes to Jeremy Renner!)
- Proper use of a villain! Believe it or not, a movie villain can be dull and it still can make a great movie when the motivation/plan of that villain is scarier! (And this is where MI:2 failed. It focused too much on the villain, who we cared nothing for, instead of focusing on the threat along with the action, the impossibilities, the harrowing escapes, and the takedown of said villain!) While MI:4‘s villain is indeed sinister, we see enough of him each time to understand that and then the film gets right back to all that we want to see: high-flying near death gambles, fast cars, cool gadgets, fist and gun fights, mystery, suspense, plus a hot chick or two!
This 4th installment of the Mission Impossible franchise has definitely succeeded. There are a few surprises in the film and tributes to the previous installments that nicely tie the whole franchise together!
Action-junkies, Gadget-junkies, and Spy movie-junkies alike: Unite!! And go see this film! That is your mission! Now, CHOOSE to accept it! (There is no option of “should you choose to accept it” here!)
Well, what are you waiting for?! Get going! Or else your computer will self-destruct in 5…4…3… 😀
Thanks for reading!
Enjoy if you wish…or don’t enjoy! Happy Watching!
–TheSp1der’s Score: 4.5 out of 5 stars for “Mission: Impossible- Ghost Protocol”
up next: “Trailer Time Thursday!”