TheScarletSp1der’s Best & Worst Movie Picks of 2011

December 31, 2011

Today is the last day of 2011! Wow! Seems like just yesterday I was posting my “Best&Worst Movie Picks of 2010!”

*(As a reminder, any words in gold serve as clickable links to the referenced article.)

2011 in movies came with a lot of surprises and disappointments! Some films were great, while some were great letdowns (I’m pointing at you, Sucker Punch). Some actors had an amazing breakthrough year (Nice work, Ryan Gosling!), while others didn’t even make their presence known (Where did you run off to Denzel Washington with 3 in 2010, but 0 in 2011?).

Take a look back at some of 2011’s movies:

2011 gave us the conclusion of some tales (Harry Potter), while others were only beginning (Rise of the Planet of the Apes)!

2011 also gave us some tales we can only WISH would end, like Pirates of the Caribbean, The Hangover, Twilight, etc!

Interestingly enough, the 2011 box office passed the $10 Billion mark with 590 movies theatrically released! (It did not, however, surpass 2010’s $10.56 Billion with only 534 theatrical releases)!

Top 10 Box Office Results of 2011:

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 2) -$381M
  2. Transformers: Dark of the Moon -$352.3M
  3. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn (Part 1) -$273.4M
  4. The Hangover Part II -$254.4M
  5. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides -$241M
  6. Fast Five -$209.8M
  7. Cars 2 -$191.4M
  8. Thor -$181M
  9. Rise of the Planet of the Apes -$176.7M
  10. Captain America: The First Avenger -$176.6M

How many new releases did you watch this past year? I watched over 65 new releases (which is good for only about 11% of all the new releases), and over 100 movies overall. Wow!

You can always visit my list of films/reviews (called “The Web“) HERE!

Just for you, I have compiled a list of 100 movies that released in 2011 split into 4 categories (25 each). My own personal lists of:

• (1) Movies I’m Glad I Saw
  • (2) Movies I Missed…but wanted to see
  • (3) Movies I wish I could “Un-see”
  • (4) Movies I’m glad I missed

The movies are not listed in any order of preference, the fact that they are on the lists speaks to my desire or distaste for the film…if I’m GLAD I saw it, or not, etc. These are my choices, hence the title: TheScarletSp1der Choice Awards!

Here we go:

(1) Top 25 Movies I’m Glad I Saw in 2011Unknown, The Conspirator, Just Go With It, The Adjustment Bureau, The Lincoln Lawyer, Fast Five, Thor, Midnight in Paris, X-Men: First Class, Super 8, Friends with Benefits, Captain America: The First Avenger, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, The Help, The Debt, Warrior, Drive, Moneyball, 50/50, Immortals, The Muppets, Hugo, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, Mission: Impossible- Ghost Protocol, and War Horse.

(2) Top 25 Movies I Missed…but wanted to see…in 2011Jane Eyre, Restless, We Bought a Zoo, The Beaver, Win Win, The Machine Gun Preacher, Mr. Popper’s Penguins, Larry Crowne, Winnie the Pooh, Attack the Block, One Day, Courageous, Take Shelter, Margaret, The Ides of March, The Way, Anonymous, Like Crazy, The Descendants, The Artist, My Week with Marilyn, Shame, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Young Adult, and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

(3) Top 25 Movies I wish I could “Un-see” in 2011: The Roommate, The Eagle, I Am Number Four, Beastly, Red Riding Hood, Real Steel, Hanna, Insidious, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, The Source Code, Madea’s Big Happy Family, The Tree of Life, Green Lantern, Cars 2, Cowboys & Aliens, The Mechanic, The Darkest Hour, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn part 1, Fright Night, Colombiana, The Three Musketeers, In Time, The Adventures of Tintin, Puss in Boots, and Melancholia.

(4) Top 25 Movies I’m glad I missed in 2011: Season of the Witch, The Dilemma, Green Hornet, The Rite, Sanctum, Justin Bieber: Never Say Never, A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas, Big Momma’s: Like Father Like Son, Drive Angry 3D, Spy Kids 4, Mars Needs Moms, Paul, Hop, Your Highness, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night, The Rum Diary, Bad Teacher, Zookeeper, The Smurfs, Shark Night 3D, Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star, Apollo 18, Abduction, Dreamhouse, and Jack and Jill.

TheScarletSp1der Choice Awards

TheScarletSp1der Choice Award for WORST movie of 2011:

-This is decided by a mix of a few variables: Limited to what I have watched, Considering Expectation vs. Disappointment, Box Office Results, and MY review score!

• Tree of Life– YES! Against the grain of so many of my fellow peers and movie lovers, I give this title to unique director Terrence Malick’s film. I had hoped for more from this film! Starring Brad Pitt, Jessica Chastain, and Sean Penn, Tree of Life is a very polarizing film that, at most, misuses a lot of a great cast and, though visually stunning, actually is quite boring! Fantastic in its own regard, but not for me…nope, nope, nope!
  • Read my review entitled “A Tree That Sucked The Life From Me.”

TheScarletSp1der Choice Award for BEST movie of 2011:

-This is decided by a mix of a few variables: Limited to what I have watched, Considering Expectation vs. Deliverance, Box Office Results, and MY review score!

• Midnight in Paris– Woody Allen directs Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams, and a wonderfully assembled cast in this delightful and highly surprising film. Recently nominated for a Golden Globe, his tribute to the capital of France truly enchants and captures the hearts, imaginations, and wonderment of any viewer.
  • Please be sure to read my review entitled “A Midnight Worth Staying Up For.”

Well, tell me, which movies made your lists?

• Did you actually enjoy Beastly?
  • What about Colombiana?
  • Did you think Captain America was bad?
  • Did you get to see The Descendants?
  • Were you a fan of Tree of Life?
  • Did Transformers: Dark of the Moon make it on one of these lists for you?
  • Which ones in 2012 are you looking forward to?

Share your thoughts in the comment section!

For a look at a few more ScarletSp1der Choice Awards be sure to check out the following posts:

Thanks for a great year! And for your continued reading! Happy Watching!

…and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

TheScarletSp1der

up next: An Anticipating Look At The Movies of 2012!!

1. December 31, 2011 9:37 am

Unique way of presenting your “tops” not bad…

I’d say check the “Rum Diary” out. I liked it a LOT… it may not score with everyone, but there’s a chance you’ll like it quite a bit. It’s got a lot of “Upside” potential if youre thinking that way about it.

Can I just get this on the record? Are you saying you LIKED “Just Go With It”? LOL

“Midnight in Paris” was an awesome flick. Glad I got it in under the wire…

• December 31, 2011 9:44 am

haha. I KNEW you would hit on the Just Go With It bit. I just KNEW it! haha.

I may give the Rum Diary a glance when it is available to rent. Glad you saw Midnight in Paris in time!

Happy New Year! I’m off to work for the last day of the year!

• January 1, 2012 7:41 am

Oh man. You gotta work? Thats a bummer man, I know all about working holidays though, so…

Happy new years anyways man!

• January 1, 2012 6:28 pm

Thanks Dan! Hope you ushered it in with style and fun! Happy New Years to you too!

2. Jack Deth permalink
    December 31, 2011 10:10 am

Hi, ScarletSp1der and company:

Can’t disagree with you on ‘Tree Of Life’. I try to avoid films with Sean Penn in them. He was at least tolerable before his Oscar win for Milk and has become smugly insufferable after it. Even Jessica Chastain couldn’t help this all over the map mess.

I mentioned In Time and Green Lantern over at FRC earlier today. Though the rather cool special effects of The Darkest Hour were entertaining. The plot, story line ( Who goes to Moscow of their own free will?!!!) and over all acting were not!

I liked the Tin Tin comics and trade paperbacks as a kid. The latest, full blow CGI adaptation looks like it would make my brain and hair hurt. The release of The Mechanic only adds grist to my theory that Jason Stratham is quickly becoming this generation’s Steven Seagal.

Be glad you missed The Green Hornet . I caught it on Encore and
    it was BAD! The coolest thing in the film was the car, The Black Beauty.

• December 31, 2011 7:44 pm

Hi Jack! Happy New Year to you!

Glad to know I’m not the only one who tends to avoid Sean Penn lately.

ha, seems like we are in agreement about a lot today! ha. In Time, Green Lantern, etc…some pretty bad flicks this year!

I wanted to like Tintin, I just couldn’t get into it. And, as much as I don’t want to admit it, it looks like you have a pretty good comparison there with Statham/Seagal.

Thanks for the heads up on Green Hornet, it will stay on my list of the unwatched!

3. Stepheny permalink
    December 31, 2011 11:37 am

Reading this made me think, “Holy crap, I’ve spent a lot of money on movies this year”. I DID get to see the Descendants, and I enjoyed it. It was a bit slow at times because not a lot happens. I really really really enjoyed The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I was already a fan of the swedish version and I liked this one even more. David Fincher is awesome. I didn’t get to see Midnight in Paris, but since you’re saying it’s the best movie of the year I should probably check it out! I remember last year disagreeing with you about Inception. I agree with almost everything on your list though :D.

• December 31, 2011 7:59 pm

Stepheny! Happy New Year! Thanks for your continued following and support!

ha, It’s so funny to realize how much we go to films, how many films we watch repeat times, and how much that ends up costing! haha. But when it’s all said and done…it’s worth it!

I was thinking reading your comment how it is interesting that we seem to be much more in agreement this year. Fun how that happens!

I had a hard time grasping everything in TGWTDT original and thought about watching the new one (I am a Fincher fan), however, I’m not keen on the idea of sitting through the brutal scenes that are present in the story. Mad respect to Rooney though, I hope she wins quite a few awards.

Oh, I hope you see Midnight in Paris soon! What a fantastic film. Perhaps we will end up completely agreeing this year on the #1 movie of the year! 😀

4. December 31, 2011 10:30 pm

Hey T, did you know there are 28 sequels this past year? Crazy isn’t it?

Glad to see MGP as one of the movies you wish you had seen in 2011, I hope more people had seen that one but Relativity really butchered the distribution of that film.

I just finished my list to be posted before the clock strikes midnight (in MN) and yes, your choice of best definitely is high on my list. Too bad you didn’t care for Source Code and Tintin, I guess on the latter, if you didn’t read the comics, I’d think it’s hard for you to love the movie.

5. January 1, 2012 5:52 am

Did you actually enjoy Beastly?
    I thought it was okay…

What about Colombiana?
    Didn’t watch it, don’t intend to…

Did you think Captain America was bad?
    Nope! I like it alot!

Did you get to see The Descendants?
    What’s that?

Were you a fan of Tree of Life?
    Haven’t seen it, will get on it real soon…

Did Transformers: Dark of the Moon make it on one of these lists for you?
    My favourite movie of the year.

Which ones in 2012 are you looking forward to?
    The superhero stuff of course! Avengers, Dark Knight Rises, Man of Steel, Amazing Spider-man

6. January 1, 2012 3:06 pm

That’s funny: your worst movie of the year is at the top of the running for my best of the year.

• January 1, 2012 6:24 pm

haha. It was a highly polarizing film. I find people either liked it or hated it! ha.

Thanks for reading! Happy New Year!

7. January 1, 2012 4:02 pm

Happy New Year!
    Really like your 2011-look-back or whatever people call it…
    As a matter of fact, I am somewhat of a fan of The Tree of Life, but I can see why others didn’t like it and accept that.
    There are a lot of 2011-ers I still have to see, but as far as I can see, I like your choices for the lists…

• January 1, 2012 6:23 pm

thanks! Looking back at films is always entertaining! and putting this post together was a bit of work…but a lot of fun!

appreciate you taking the time to read and comment! Do you have a favorite of 2011?

8. January 1, 2012 5:15 pm

Did you actually enjoy Beastly?
    Didn’t see / No Interest

What about Colombiana?
    Didn’t see / No Interest

Did you think Captain America was bad?
    Not Bad, just not good either. It was so very mediocre.

Did you get to see The Descendants?
    I did actually. It was my number 3 film of the year.

Were you a fan of Tree of Life?
    I am a fan of Tree of Life. As many problems as I have with the film itself I can’t deny it’s achievement in film.

Did Transformers: Dark of the Moon make it on one of these lists for you?
    The (not upset that I missed it) list. Never saw the second movie either. It’s a shame since I really love the Transformers as a cartoon franchise.

Which ones in 2012 are you looking forward to?
    For that you’ll have to see my post coming up in the next few days.

• January 1, 2012 6:19 pm

hah! Happy New Year Max! Looking forward to reading more over at ImpassionedCinema!

Will look to see what your thoughts are for this new year in theaters!

9. January 1, 2012 6:50 pm

Ahaha your dislike for The Tree of Life knows no bound! 😀 It’s not for everyone and I can totally understand why you didn’t find it a good movie. It certainly is… out there. Glad you loved Midnight in Paris that much though!

• January 1, 2012 6:59 pm

“Out there” is a fair prognosis! My review will always have the link for your completely opposite outlook of the film! i see how you like it!

Midnight in Paris was such a delightful surprise!!! Thanks for the comment!

10. January 1, 2012 6:53 pm

Did you think Captain America was bad?
    That was a disgrace lol. No but it was very generic, very forgettable. I wouldn’t see it again.
    Did you get to see The Descendants?
    Nope but I hope to soon.
    Were you a fan of Tree of Life?
    You know my answer to that lol
    Did Transformers: Dark of the Moon make it on one of these lists for you?
    Yes, the list of most painful to watch I almost turned it off 7 times.
    Which ones in 2012 are you looking forward to?
    TDKR, The Hobbit and wait for it… “Tree of Life on steroids”,

• January 1, 2012 6:58 pm

HAHA! “Tree of LIfe on steroids!” oh, no please!

7 times on Transformers 3 huh? wow!

Hopefully the sequel to your biopic will tell more of your story in a much more memorable way.

11. Akka permalink
    January 2, 2012 5:32 am

All I know is, “Melancholia” was the worst movie I’ve seen in years. I hate that director’s films with a passion. After this one I will never give him a chance again. At least movies like “Cowboys and Aliens” don’t think they are brilliant films and are just in it to entertain. At leadt those kinds of action films are honest and clear with what they are. God… I can’t wait to see how many Oscar’s “Melancholia” manages to win. Ugh…

• January 2, 2012 7:18 am

yeah. Melancholia was a von trier movie I took a chance on…never again.

And, you’re right, some movies we already know what to expect going into them. No one expects Bucky Larson: Born to Be A Star to receive any type of awards except for a Razzie! (It still has a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes)…but when we expect a film to be good and it’s not, that’s where the worst of the year fit in.

Cue: Green Lantern, Sucker Punch, Tree of Life, In Time, I Am Number Four, Cars 2, etc…

• Akka permalink
        January 2, 2012 8:45 pm

Oh lord Sucker Punch… What a terrible feature length music video. I can’t believe that came out of Snyder lol.

• January 3, 2012 12:13 am

haha. what fun Sucker Punch was, huh?

12. January 2, 2012 8:56 pm

whuahahaha I am literally LAUGHING so loud!! I also wish I could unsee IN TIME!! well not entirely because of that one man!! I am going to DL the movie when the dvd is already out…then I will cut the scenes with no Cillian Murphy in it, and that is the only part I want to rewatch for the rest of my life!!

ah you also don’t like Tree of Life…the more reason not to watch it 😉

you know…in that box office list, I have only seen The Rise of the apes. The rest were passing by and will b watched in TV, except for twillight….that will never be watched.
    Because I don’t watch a lot of 2011 movies, my top5 (will be published tomorrow, my time) is of all movies I watched in 2011 regardless their released years.

• January 2, 2012 8:58 pm

ups…I meant cut off the part with no Cillian, and I will watch only the part where Cillian shows up 😉

• January 3, 2012 12:15 am

I gotcha!

• January 3, 2012 12:14 am

hahaha. You can make In Time be just a CM special! LOL.

Yes, I did not enjoy Tree of Life, but so many did. I go against the grain on this one! hahaha

13. January 3, 2012 3:56 pm

Interesting list and Midnight in Paris also made my top 10 list.

As for some of your questions:
    I didn’t enjoy Captain America as much, have very mixed feelings about Tree of LIfe and am not a fan. I quite liked Transformers 🙂

• January 3, 2012 5:13 pm

Glad to see Midnight in Paris on your list too! A truly enchanting film!

14. January 4, 2012 9:33 am

For the most part we agreed on a number of points. Except I cant believe you were happy to see Unknown. It was such a fail from Neeson as he tries to come off the success of Taken. It was a very lousy and weak attempt at trying to capture that. I also can’t believe you enjoyed Immortals…plain and simple…I simply hated it. ~Gasp~

I noticed you want to see One Day…my suggestion is that you catch it when it comes on TV. Not the best love story, and the most thrilling part happens at the end. Alot of back and fourth…blah blah blah…yawn yawn yawn…bore bore bore…Ok Im sure u get my point…lol

Thanks for the heads up on Melancholia. Was actually thinking about seeing it this weekend. After reading everyone’s comments, Im happy to know I should save my money.

I noticed you’re glad you missed Sanctum. It hasn’t received any high marks from critics and I wasn’t expecting much when I went to see it. I was quite surprised that I actually enjoyed it. It wasn’t a bad watch at all.

I agree with your pick on the worst movie of the year. Especially with all the high marks it has received. It was like watching a national geographic episode that ran too long. There was 10min of speaking, 25min of whispering, and the rest was all imagery…WTH!

Disliked Midnight in Paris…enough said…lol

• January 4, 2012 10:40 am

What?? disliked Midnight in Paris!?? haha. no way! 😉

Wow, a fun comment, let me answer each part:
      1. Unknown, I liked it. Yes. I had to try to remove “Taken” from memory and then was able to enjoy it for what it was! It had its weak spots but I liked it. And Immortals was visually fun! That stands for something with me! ha 🙂 but it was just style as opposed to substance.
      2. I will take your advice on One Day! Thanks for the heads up on that. I liked the premise.
      3. Yeah, wait and rent Melancholia. Best advice I can give on that one.
      4. Sanctum looked very run of the mill…aside from great visuals, causing some very uncomfortable claustrophobia and a highly predictable storyline makes me not want to watchit. haha.
      5. So glad we see eye to eye on Tree of Life! ha

thanks for your fun thoughts on 2011!

• January 4, 2012 10:54 am

I tried to seperate Neeson’s role in Unknown from Taken, but thats hard to do when he was playing and almost similar character in both. I love Neeson to death and will ride with him on any film he’s in. I disliked Unknown, but Im totally looking forward to him shining in The Grey! lol

I knew you were going to say u loved the visual effects in Immortals. Yes and I agree, it was visually appetizing, but that wasn’t nearly enough to make a meal. To be quite honest, I found Thor to be a better visual movie than Immortals. Eh…to each his own 😉

Lol @ Sanctum being claustrophobic. I left out that description in my comment, but I was thinking it. Yeah you do get that feeling. This movie is decent. Slightly run of the mill maybe, but by no means a flop. I mean come on! U liked Immortals! Sanctum was visually appealing and better than that catastrophe movie Immortals ~Gasp~…lol

15. January 4, 2012 11:04 am

Oh wait…let me recant a bit. I forgot about the Gods in Immortals, which were the most visually appealing characteers in that film. They were the best thing going for that movie. Every scene they were in was a masterpiece, and I actually wish there was more of them in the film. Ok so Immortals wasn’t THAT bad…but it still wasnt THAT good…lol 😉

OMG! Just saw ur previous post. THERE’S A TAKEN 2!!! I ~mouth wide open~

16. gustavo permalink
    January 9, 2012 10:38 am

am thinking about seeing the new MI:GP

what do you like about it ss?

am worried it is gonna be one mission too many!

somebody told me cruise is in a fistfight for 15 minutes with a senior citizen

• January 9, 2012 6:48 pm

Gustavo! Welcome to the page!!

I really loved MI-4. You can read my thoughts here: https://thefocusedfilmographer.com/2011/12/21/finally-mission-accomplished/

the senior citizen comment is pretty funny! You’ll see when you watch it!

1. TheFocusedFilmographer’s Best & Worst Movie Picks of 2012 « The Focused Filmographer
  2. TheFocusedFilmographer’s Choice Awards: Best & Worst Movie Picks of 2013 | The Focused Filmographer