TheScarletSp1der’s Best & Worst Movie Picks of 2011
Today is the last day of 2011! Wow! Seems like just yesterday I was posting my “Best&Worst Movie Picks of 2010!”
*(As a reminder, any words in gold serve as clickable links to the referenced article.)
2011 in movies came with a lot of surprises and disappointments! Some films were great, while some were great letdowns (I’m pointing at you, Sucker Punch). Some actors had an amazing breakthrough year (Nice work, Ryan Gosling!), while others didn’t even make their presence known (Where did you run off to Denzel Washington with 3 in 2010, but 0 in 2011?).
Take a look back at some of 2011’s movies:
2011 also gave us some tales we can only WISH would end, like Pirates of the Caribbean, The Hangover, Twilight, etc!
Interestingly enough, the 2011 box office passed the $10 Billion mark with 590 movies theatrically released! (It did not, however, surpass 2010’s $10.56 Billion with only 534 theatrical releases)!
Top 10 Box Office Results of 2011:
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 2) -$381M
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon -$352.3M
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn (Part 1) -$273.4M
- The Hangover Part II -$254.4M
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides -$241M
- Fast Five -$209.8M
- Cars 2 -$191.4M
- Thor -$181M
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes -$176.7M
- Captain America: The First Avenger -$176.6M
You can always visit my list of films/reviews (called “The Web“) HERE!
Just for you, I have compiled a list of 100 movies that released in 2011 split into 4 categories (25 each). My own personal lists of:
- (1) Movies I’m Glad I Saw
- (2) Movies I Missed…but wanted to see
- (3) Movies I wish I could “Un-see”
- (4) Movies I’m glad I missed
The movies are not listed in any order of preference, the fact that they are on the lists speaks to my desire or distaste for the film…if I’m GLAD I saw it, or not, etc. These are my choices, hence the title: TheScarletSp1der Choice Awards!
Here we go:
(1) Top 25 Movies I’m Glad I Saw in 2011: Unknown, The Conspirator, Just Go With It, The Adjustment Bureau, The Lincoln Lawyer, Fast Five, Thor, Midnight in Paris, X-Men: First Class, Super 8, Friends with Benefits, Captain America: The First Avenger, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, The Help, The Debt, Warrior, Drive, Moneyball, 50/50, Immortals, The Muppets, Hugo, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, Mission: Impossible- Ghost Protocol, and War Horse.
(2) Top 25 Movies I Missed…but wanted to see…in 2011: Jane Eyre, Restless, We Bought a Zoo, The Beaver, Win Win, The Machine Gun Preacher, Mr. Popper’s Penguins, Larry Crowne, Winnie the Pooh, Attack the Block, One Day, Courageous, Take Shelter, Margaret, The Ides of March, The Way, Anonymous, Like Crazy, The Descendants, The Artist, My Week with Marilyn, Shame, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Young Adult, and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.
(3) Top 25 Movies I wish I could “Un-see” in 2011: The Roommate, The Eagle, I Am Number Four, Beastly, Red Riding Hood, Real Steel, Hanna, Insidious, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, The Source Code, Madea’s Big Happy Family, The Tree of Life, Green Lantern, Cars 2, Cowboys & Aliens, The Mechanic, The Darkest Hour, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn part 1, Fright Night, Colombiana, The Three Musketeers, In Time, The Adventures of Tintin, Puss in Boots, and Melancholia.
(4) Top 25 Movies I’m glad I missed in 2011: Season of the Witch, The Dilemma, Green Hornet, The Rite, Sanctum, Justin Bieber: Never Say Never, A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas, Big Momma’s: Like Father Like Son, Drive Angry 3D, Spy Kids 4, Mars Needs Moms, Paul, Hop, Your Highness, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night, The Rum Diary, Bad Teacher, Zookeeper, The Smurfs, Shark Night 3D, Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star, Apollo 18, Abduction, Dreamhouse, and Jack and Jill.
TheScarletSp1der Choice Awards
TheScarletSp1der Choice Award for WORST movie of 2011:
-This is decided by a mix of a few variables: Limited to what I have watched, Considering Expectation vs. Disappointment, Box Office Results, and MY review score!
- Tree of Life– YES! Against the grain of so many of my fellow peers and movie lovers, I give this title to unique director Terrence Malick’s film. I had hoped for more from this film! Starring Brad Pitt, Jessica Chastain, and Sean Penn, Tree of Life is a very polarizing film that, at most, misuses a lot of a great cast and, though visually stunning, actually is quite boring! Fantastic in its own regard, but not for me…nope, nope, nope!
- Read my review entitled “A Tree That Sucked The Life From Me.”
TheScarletSp1der Choice Award for BEST movie of 2011:
-This is decided by a mix of a few variables: Limited to what I have watched, Considering Expectation vs. Deliverance, Box Office Results, and MY review score!
- Midnight in Paris– Woody Allen directs Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams, and a wonderfully assembled cast in this delightful and highly surprising film. Recently nominated for a Golden Globe, his tribute to the capital of France truly enchants and captures the hearts, imaginations, and wonderment of any viewer.
- Please be sure to read my review entitled “A Midnight Worth Staying Up For.”
Well, tell me, which movies made your lists?
- Did you actually enjoy Beastly?
- What about Colombiana?
- Did you think Captain America was bad?
- Did you get to see The Descendants?
- Were you a fan of Tree of Life?
- Did Transformers: Dark of the Moon make it on one of these lists for you?
- Which ones in 2012 are you looking forward to?
Share your thoughts in the comment section!
For a look at a few more ScarletSp1der Choice Awards be sure to check out the following posts:
- My Top 16 movie trailers of 2011 (Part 1)
- My Top 16 movie trailers of 2011 (Part 2)
- My Top 30 movie posters of 2011
Thanks for a great year! And for your continued reading! Happy Watching!
…and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
up next: An Anticipating Look At The Movies of 2012!!