From TheScarletSp1der’s shelf to yours…#10

January 6, 2012

It’s time for another edition of one of my favorite segments: “From TheScarletSp1der’s shelf to yours…”

Sometimes, instead of choosing to go out to watch a movie (and trust me, January is NOT the month to be rushing to theaters as the beginning of the year is traditionally the worst time of year for new releases), you may feel like watching one at home. Only…which one do you watch?

Every so often I like to make movie recommendations for you from the movies that I have in my own personal stash through a segment that I love and love to call “From TheScarletSp1der’s shelf to yours…”

Do you like to collect movies? If you do, you know that the value of a worthy movie collection lies not in quantity, but in quality. As I’ve said before, “You may have 500 movies, but if 375 of them are horrible….then your neighbor with 75 classics has a better collection! In my opinion.” Hopefully these segments will help you in your quest for the perfect movie collection. Several great films never get the recognition that they are due. So, I choose to share the ones I know of with you! Here’s another peek into my own personal movie stash. Enjoy!

(You can actually see ALL of the previous ones by clicking HERE).

My movie to share from my shelf to yours today is: The Sting

Directed by George Roy Hill (Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid). Starring Robert Redford, Paul Newman, and Robert Shaw.

Synopsis (via Fandango):

Redford plays Depression-era confidence trickster Johnny Hooker, whose friend and mentor Luther Coleman (Robert Earl Jones) is murdered by racketeer/gambler Doyle Lonnegan (Robert Shaw). Hoping to avenge Luther’s death, Johnny begins planning a “sting” — an elaborate scam — to destroy Lonnegan. He enlists the aid of “the greatest con artist of them all,” Henry Gondorff (Paul Newman), who pulls himself out of a drunken stupor and rises to the occasion.

This 1973 heist classic comes from the same gene pool as films like the original The Italian Job (1969) and the original Ocean’s Eleven (1960). The only difference is that while The Italian Job and Ocean’s Eleven received nominations for Golden Globes and such like, The Sting received the coveted Academy Award for Best Picture at the 46th Academy Awards Ceremony on April 2, 1974!

Here’s the trailer:

Yes, you saw correctly in the trailer: The Sting didn’t just win The Academy Award for Best Picture! It won 6 others:

• Best Director (George Roy Hill)
  • Best Writing- Story and Screenplay
  • Best Art Direction- Set Decoration
  • Best Costume Design
  • Best Film Editing
  • Best Music: Original song score and/or adaptation

(It was also nominated for 3 additional Oscars: Best Actor in Leading Role (Redford), Best Cinematography, and Best Sound.) Impressive!

Partnering Robert Redford and Paul Newman once again, this buddy-buddy adventure -while formulaic at times- proved to be a great success and director George Hill hit the nail on the head with this film! Not only does the veteran talent of the cast shine, but the period piece’s environment and attention to detail seamlessly transports viewers into the mob-ridden underworld of 1930’s Chicago!

While the characters of the film are a bit expected, that is partly due to so many films that have released since then that we have seen. The majority of heist films nowadays do nothing more than copy the formula of this huge success. Imitation truly is the sincerest form of flattery! You will enjoy the work of Redford, Newman, Shaw, Jones, and more in this exciting heist film of heist films!

The story appeals to audiences of all types with a great blend with bits of revenge, a match of wits, action, suspense, film noir, loyalty, and evil vs. evil-er! ha! A classic that still appeals to viewers almost 40 years later!

Rated PG for language and violence, The Sting is a must-see! (be sure you watch The Sting and not the grossly sad sequel, The Sting II which NONE of the main cast returned for ten years later.)

*Interesting tidbit: “When asked about his possible role in The Sting, Jack Nicholson said, ‘I like it. I like the period setting, the whole project, and I know it will be commercial. But I need to put my energies into a movie that really needs them. I need to take a risk.'”

-Piazza, Jim, and Gail Kinn. The Academy Awards: The Complete Unofficial History. New York: Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers, Inc., 2008.

For your in home viewing pleasure, it is my great pleasure to recommend The Sting “From TheScarletSp1der’s shelf to yours!” Don’t miss it!

Thanks for reading! Again, you can click HERE to see the other previous dvd/blu-ray recommendations!

Enjoy if you wish…or don’t enjoy! Happy watching!

The Sp1der’s Score: I’m not going to rate the movies in the “Shared Shelf” segments….I already own them! That’s gotta tell you something! :D

1. January 6, 2012 9:48 am

Oh man, could these two get any more gorgeous?! I just saw Butch Cassidy fairly recently and I loved it. I’ll be sure to see this too, thanks T.

• January 6, 2012 11:17 am

🙂 this is another classic with the two that I know you will love!!!

• January 6, 2012 10:38 pm

You must see it Ruth! It is incredible!

• January 7, 2012 9:27 am

I second that…or, wait…I firsted it, so I guess I THIRD it after Matt! 😀

• January 7, 2012 7:52 pm

Will do T and Matt, I mean hunky guys aside, the story sounds intriguing. I do prefer Paul Newman sans mustache though 🙂

• January 8, 2012 3:22 am

I can’t wait for you to see it.

2. January 6, 2012 9:53 am

One of my all-time favorite films… and I’m old enough to have seen this one first-run. Great spotlight, T! Thanks.

• January 6, 2012 11:18 am

Hey Mike! thanks for the comment! It is one of my faves as well. I just recently got introduced to it by a friend and wish I had know about it sooner!!

• January 6, 2012 11:24 am

What timing, too. My good blogging colleague J.D. today showed a light on another George Roy Hill film today on his site: The World of Henry Orient (1964). In case you’re interested. Thanks.

• January 6, 2012 11:25 am

awesome! I will be heading over to read it! thank you!!

3. Jack Deth permalink
    January 6, 2012 11:24 am

Hi, ScarletSp1der and company:

I like what you’ve done with the place!

Can’t argue with two of cinema’s most handsome leading men in charge of a large con wrapped in a near flawless period piece. Full of great lines and moments. Especially between Newman and Redford. Robert Shaw owns the role of Doyle Lonnegan, Always taken aback by stalwarts Ray Walston and Harold Gould adding their support while quietly keeping the youngsters and novices in line.

A great choice!

• January 6, 2012 11:26 am

thank you Jack! it’s almost complete!

The Sting definitely surprised me the first time I watched it. everyone in it worked so well together!

• Jack Deth permalink
        January 6, 2012 12:23 pm

Hi, ScarletSp1der:

The only downside point about the ‘The Sting’ isn’t really the film’s fault.

A major electronics convention decided to use the film’s theme song. Scott Joplin’s piano rag, ‘The Entertainer’ on a constant 36 hour loop. While I helped provide the security in Washington DC’s Hays Adams hotel’s enormous underground Display Rooms. I nearly jumped for joy when the loop finally ended as many displays were broken down and packed up.

• January 7, 2012 9:26 am

ha! i can imagine your extravaganza of joy once the song ended. LOL.

thanks for sharing your fun story!

4. January 6, 2012 12:22 pm

One of my favorites T! I agree that The Sting can seem clichéd but only because many buddy and/or con artist pictures have ripped it off since it came out.

• January 7, 2012 9:25 am

Glad that you love The Sting! It is a great favorite of mine! Thanks for reading!

yeah, so many films can’t be original and have to copy the best!

5. January 6, 2012 1:59 pm

This movie keeps getting recommended to me, and I have had it near the top of my queue for a while. Nice feature — you have made me even more interested in checking it out!

• January 7, 2012 9:27 am

I absolutely recommend it. I hope you watch it soon. Let me know when you do, or send me the link to your review if you decide to do so please!

6. January 6, 2012 10:40 pm

Ahhhhh great movie to review my man! I love The Sting sooo much! I hum the entertainer all the time at work…

*awesome whistling comes in*

• January 7, 2012 9:28 am

haha! you mustn’t whistle it around Jack Deth! hahaha *see previous comment thread!

thanks for reading the review Matt! Have a great weekend!

7. February 11, 2012 6:49 pm

This definitely feels like a great film that is not overlooked as such but more folks do not talk about it as much as I think they should.

Great write up!

• February 13, 2012 7:02 pm

agreed. Thanks for checking out this post! Loved yours too.