Movie News Monday for January 9, 2012!

January 9, 2012

Welcome to this week’s edition of “Movie News Monday!” (“MNM!”)!!

What is ‘MNM’all about?

In case this is your first time here, “Movie News Monday!” (MNM) is the place to visit every Monday for a quick recap of trending entertainment news! I’ve collected info, rumors, etc from all over just for you to keep you updated on movies being released, actors/actresses in roles, dvd releases to keep a lookout for, which movie won in the box office over the weekend, etc! Are you ready for your weekly update? Here it is!

This Just In!!…

#1- “The Weekend Winner.”  This past weekend, only 1 new major release hit the theaters, and, as expected, it won the #1 spot in the box office by scaring hundreds of moviegoers to cough up their wallets! With only that 1 new release, the rest of the spots remained up for grabs (although the results remained rather expected as well).

Here are the weekend’s estimated results for Fri, Jan 6-Sun, Jan 8:

1. The Devil Inside ~$34.5M
  2. Mission: Impossible -Ghost Protocol ~$20.5M
  3. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows ~$14.1M
  4. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo ~$11.3M
  5. Alvin & the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked ~$9.5M
  6. War Horse ~$8.6M
  7. We Bought A Zoo ~$8.5M
  8. The Adventures of Tintin ~$6.6M
  9. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy ~$5.8M
  10. New Year’s Eve ~$3.3M

Although The Devil Inside won the box office, my congrats goes to MI-4 once again for earning over $170M in just 4 weeks! Impressive.

#2- “A new poster is BOURNE!” The Bourne Legacy is a new Bourne film adaptation that is set to release this upcoming August. If you haven’t happened to hear about it, it does NOT star Matt Damon…because Jason Bourne is not in the film. The things that take place in the film will be happening during the events of the previous films. This one stars Jeremy Renner (Hurt Locker, The Town, MI-4)! It also co-stars Rachel Weisz, Oscar Isaac, Joan Allen, Albert Finney, and Edward Norton.

Here is the first teaser poster:

The unexpected begins on August 3, 2012! Get ready!

#3- “24 Movie on the Move!” Kiefer Sutherland gave some more hopeful insight as to the upcoming 24 film based on the highly popular television series from FOX. It looks to be shaping up here very soon. Although, we’ve heard this before, here is what Sutherland had to say at a talk at the Television Critics Association Winter Press Tour (courtesy Collider)

Question: Now that you’re doing this series, what is the status of the 24 movie?

KIEFER SUTHERLAND: The status on the movie is that, hopefully, we will be shooting the end of April, beginning of May.

Do you see the movie as a conclusion to the story in the series?

SUTHERLAND: I see it as a continuation. The script that we’ve got right now, which I’m very, very excited about, is relatively a direct continuation. It’s within six months from the end of the last episode. We’ll see where it goes from there.

The plan for the movie is still two hours, and not in real time?

SUTHERLAND: It’s two hours, representing 24 hours. The movie is not in real time. It’s a two-hour representation of a 24-hour day.

Is everybody from the cast back?

SUTHERLAND: I can’t say that.

April/May?? Wow! Thoughts? I personally can’t wait to see this movie come to fruition. I just hope that it is done right!

#4- “The Fighter: Round 2″ In other upcoming movie news, Mark Wahlberg offered a little bit of insight as to the expected sequel to 2010’s award winning boxing biopic The Fighter. Some of the news surprising, some of it very welcome! Here’s what he had to say (Courtesy ReelzChannel):

It’s definitely a priority but I don’t think it’s necessarily gonna be a sequel, it’s really kind of it’s own thing about the Ward/Gatti wars and this crazy relationship that came out of these fights. After the first fight they became very close friends, yet two more times they went in there and tried to kill each other and caused a lot of physical and mental damage that really took a toll on them, and certainly still takes a toll on Micky to this day. [Fighter co-screenwriter] Scott Silver is gonna be writing it and hopefully he’s writing as we speak.

As to when it is set to begin filming, Wahlberg said his goal is to be filming within the next 18 months (citing he is not getting any younger and that he doesn’t want to pull a “Sylvester Stallone” who filmed Rocky at age 60)! The original cast, and hopefully director (David O. Russell), look to be returning…but nothing is set in stone.

Stay tuned for more on this project! Would you like to see the next part of the story on screen?

#5- “This Week’s Blu-ray release.” This week, look for the following films on Blu-ray to possibly add to your collection:

Moneyball– Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill team up in this very surprising film based on the events surrounding the Oakland Athletics baseball team’s struggle from the bottom. A highly impressive performance that is expected to get some attention in the upcoming award season. Baseball lover or no, you should watch this film.(Review)

Also releasing: Killer Elite, Higher Ground, and What’s Your Number?

Well, that’s it for this round of “Movie News Monday!”

up next: “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

1. January 9, 2012 9:35 am

Hi, ScarletSp1der and company:

I followed the Yellow Brick Road from your E-mail and wound up here.

Haven’t seen ‘The Exorcist’ and never intend to. Not a fan of ‘The Devil Inside’ and/or its inherent sub-genre. Cannot for the life of me explain why the film had such a huge first weekend.

I’ve been a fan of Jeremy Renner since he was a bought and paid for bad guy in ‘SWAT’. Think he’ll make a decent Bourne, though I’m more a fan of Ludlum’s novels than the way over the top films.

• January 9, 2012 6:46 pm

Jack! so glad that you were able to find your way here. I was concerned that you may not have gotten the update.

thank you for your comment and continued reading!

2. January 9, 2012 12:53 pm

I was about to be really pissed when u dropped the bomb to inform me that Matt Damon will not be in the Bourne Legacy, until you mention Jeremy Renner. Now all is right with the world…lol. Im uber excited for this one now! Thanks for the info!

The Devil Inside was very lucky they were the only movie released this wknd. I have no intentions of reviewing this one at all. I’ll start anew this wknd…lol

• January 9, 2012 6:49 pm

hahaha! no problem my friend! How have you been?

My sentiments exactly on The Devil Inside!

• January 10, 2012 8:03 am

I am well sir. How are u? I like the new digs (referring to the changes to ur site). Ur not as easy to get to right now, but I know ur still working out the kinks 😉

Did u catch any movies this wknd? As The Devil Inside was the only major release, I took a much need break. Im back on this wknd for the start on 2012 movie reviews! lol

• January 10, 2012 8:45 am

yes, I am working on that still. it was a complicated transition with the unfortunate redirect mishap. Thanks for staying tuned.

I just watched Blue Valentine for the first time (*shudders/tears*) wow. what a performance. but as far as major releases go…no. I’m not a fan of many horror flicks, especially run of the mill seeming possession flicks. I will be starting up reviews here shortly though! 🙂

3. Matt Stewart permalink
    January 9, 2012 3:08 pm

Another Fighter movie? That concerns me big time…

24 always worries, not expecting much from it 😀

However, The Bourn Legacy, yeeeeeeeees!!!

• January 9, 2012 6:50 pm

sequels are always a matter of concern with me.

but I am definitely looking forward to Bourne. and I am hopeful for 24, but the concept of a 24hr season put into a 2hr film does concern me.

4. January 9, 2012 3:54 pm

Hey T, thanks for the heads up about the new Bourne, delighted to see Jeremy Renner in the lead role, can’t of a better Bourne-esque character to take over the mantle. That’s quite the supporting cast also, love Ed Norton in just about anything he does. Renner was great in MI:4 so no doubt he’ll bring plenty to the table as popular series is… re-Bourne!?! 😉 Cheers T.

• January 9, 2012 6:52 pm

Renner is looking to be more and more formidable for a series such as Bourne. I am glad to see him getting such great roles.

Nice word play on the “re-Bourne”. Wish I had thought of it! 🙂

5. January 9, 2012 4:37 pm

I’m still on the fence about Jeremy Renner but the idea of him taking over Bourne just leaves me cold. Not sure yet if I’ll watch the movie, depends on the trailer I suppose.

‘The Devil Inside’ is number 1 earning THAT much?? Heh, no wonder Hollywood just keeps making more and more horror movies [sigh]

• January 9, 2012 6:53 pm

I’m with Ronan on this one and remain rather optimistic with Renner. apparently Paramount is too since they are counting on his popularity enough to push his Hansel and Gretel back almost an entire year! ha.

I keep getting frustrated with Hollywood doing everything for the almighty dollar as opposed to just making quality film. Looks like that trend won’t be disappearing anytime soon.

6. January 9, 2012 9:59 pm

That Bourne Legacy poster is so bland. Not sure what the point is of releasing something like that doesn’t reveal intriguing about the movie.

• January 10, 2012 6:54 am

You’re right Castor! Like Claire said…can’t wait for the trailer instead!

7. January 10, 2012 6:51 am

So now we have the first poster I wonder when we’ll get the first trailer for Bourne Legacy… I agree with Castor that it is very bland and ‘prepare for the unexpected’ is very vague. I’m still excited for it, though!

• January 10, 2012 6:53 am

Castor is right. I can’t wait for the trailer. Hope it’s not as bland as the poster! ha. Don’t think it will be though! 🙂

8. January 10, 2012 7:04 pm

If I stopped watching 24… why would I want to see a “24” movie? Huh Kiefer?

• January 10, 2012 7:13 pm

why did u stop watching 24? During which season?