Movie News Monday for January 16, 2012!

January 16, 2012

Welcome to this week’s edition of “Movie News Monday!” (“MNM!”)!!

What is ‘MNM’all about?

In case this is your first time here, “Movie News Monday!” (MNM) is the place to visit every Monday for a quick recap of trending entertainment news! I’ve collected info, rumors, etc from all over just for you to keep you updated on movies being released, actors/actresses in roles, dvd releases to keep a lookout for, which movie won in the box office over the weekend, etc! Are you ready for your weekly update? Here it is!

This Just In!!…

#1- “The Weekend Winner.”  This past weekend, #1 spot in the box office went to 1 of 3 new releases that hit the theaters! While some films had some great successes, others did not. You will notice that The Devil Inside slipped from the #1 spot last week with over $33M to under $8M, giving it a 76.6% drop (the biggest decline in 3 years according to boxofficemojo’s list of the biggest 2nd weekend drops of all time)!

Here are the weekend’s estimated results for Fri, Jan 13-Sun, Jan 15:

1. Contraband ~$24.1M
  2. Beauty & the Beast 3D ~$18.5M
  3. Mission: Impossible -Ghost Protocol ~$11.5M
  4. Joyful Noise ~$11.3M
  5. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows ~$8.4M
  6. The Devil Inside ~$7.9M
  7. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo ~$6.8M
  8. Alvin & the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked ~$5.8M
  9. War Horse ~$5.6M
  10. We Bought A Zoo ~$5.2M

Congrats to Contraband!

#2- “New Hobbit Photos!” The Hobbit from Peter Jackson, continues to receive plenty of attention with production video blogs, photos, news, and more. I venture to say that millions of fans are eagerly anticipating the release of the 1st part of the 2-part movie epic this upcoming December!

To tide you over a little while longer, here are 3 recent images from the set of Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit (Click images for larger version):

Get ready for the adventure to begin at the end of the year! I can’t wait for The Hobbit!!

#3- “Spielberg says ‘NO’ to Jurassic Park 4??” Well, not completely. Don’t get upset just yet! While Spielberg will not be directing Jurassic Park 4, he will still be producing it. That’s not too big of a shock. You may remember that Spielberg produced -but did not direct- Jurassic Park 3 as well.

While director Joe Johnston (Captain America, The Rocketeer) held the directorial reins for JP3, he has not yet been confirmed for the 4th installment. Johnston did state that he has been “in discussions” to direct the film. He also added in a recent interview that Spielberg and screenwriter Mark Protosevich have the following plans in mind:

“…The most important thing I can tell you is that [‘Jurassic Park 4’] starts a new trilogy that will go off in a different direction — a completely different direction that is very exciting, and different from anything we’ve seen. It starts with the history of the first trilogy, but it spins it off in a completely different direction. That’s all I can tell you.”

What do you think? Are you interested in seeing Jurassic Park 4 with this information? I am…and let me say, I’m game to see a Jurassic Park film in 3D if they were to do so. Can you imagine?!

Source: Courtesy Screenrant

#4- “The Golden Globe Winners” Did you see the Golden Globes? There were some surprising and amazing moments! So many nominees for the award. Here is the list of winners below (those in blue are the ones I guessed correctly):

Best Motion Picture, Drama

Actress, Mini-Series or TV Movie
Kate Winslet, Mildred Pierce

Supporting Actor, Series, Mini-Series or TV Movie
Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones

Supporting Actress, Series, Mini-Series or TV Movie
Jessica Lange, American Horror Story

Congratulations to all of the winners and nominees! Did your favorites win? I guessed 12 out of 25 correctly on my predictive post HERE! 😀

I wish to give a special congratulations to Morgan Freeman upon accepting the Cecil B. DeMille Lifetime Achievement award for his distinguished accomplishments in film over so many years. He accepted it with grace, humility, and appreciation from the legendary Sidney Poitier and Dame Helen Mirren.

#5- “This Week’s Blu-ray release.” This week, look for the following films on Blu-ray to possibly add to your collection:

The Ides of March– George Clooney, Ryan Gosling, and more, star in this Golden Globe nominated political thriller. Raved about by critics and viewers alike, this one may just be worth a look!

Also releasing: Abduction, Bucky Larson: Born to be a Star, and Courageous

Well, that’s it for this round of “Movie News Monday!”

up next: “Time to Vote Tuesday!” featuring The Red Web Awards!!!!!

1. January 16, 2012 8:38 am

Woof I’m a bit distracted there by mr Thorin Oaksfield… aka Richard Armitage, still so hunky even w/ all that beard 😀

I’m so pleased that Morgan Freeman got the Cecil B DeMille award, the one truly deserving Golden Globe if y’ask me. Joe Johnston for Jurassic Park 4? Interesting, yeah I think he can do the job well. I love Rocketeer and Capt. America was good so he definitely has the chops.

• January 17, 2012 11:07 am

haha! your comment made me chuckle about Thorin! 🙂

It was a very nice speech that Freeman gave. I hope you get to watch that part online soon.

• January 17, 2012 3:53 pm

Yeah I watched it. I’m thrilled that he mentioned my beloved Gregory in his speech 😀

• January 18, 2012 5:15 am

🙂 I thought of you immediately once he mentioned GP!

2. January 16, 2012 9:18 am

I may be getting terribly jaded, or just generally bored, but the whole awards season is just getting a bit eh to me. More or less the people predicted win, there aren’t any major surprises and I’d rather just look and see who wore the best/worst outfit than anything else! That gives me more pleasure than the awards, sadly!

I think as long as Spielberg’s there… I have some faith in JP4. Nothing will ever get my spine tingling as much as the first one, but I have a soft spot for the franchise.

• January 17, 2012 11:08 am

It’s kinda like all of the political stuff that hits the tvs between jan and oct. I understand getting tired of it. ha.

But I still love award season! and the outfits are a big part of that!

Thanks for commenting! JP is a great franchise…and although it drastically veered away from the novels in the sequels, it’ll be interesting to see how this new trilogy(?) goes.

3. January 16, 2012 1:12 pm

I have mixed feelings about JP4, and would even if Spielberg were directed. On the one hand, I’m sure the spectacle will be great, especially if it’s in 3D; dinosaurs in 3D? Ought to look fantastic. On the other hand… this is starting a new trilogy? Really? They’ve already outpaced the novels, and really, how many different takes on “Dinosaurs run amok in the modern world” can you really write?

• January 17, 2012 11:09 am

probably what the tv show Terra Nova wanted to be but couldnt!

4. January 16, 2012 3:34 pm

That’s quite the drop-off for The Devil Inside. I can’t say I am exactly jumping to see that one either.

I caught the last half hour or so of the Golden Globes. It was pretty blah, but at least there were a few amusing awkward moments.

• January 17, 2012 11:09 am

yeah, The Devil Inside is a miss for me.

You didn’t miss too much in the Golden Globes, but I would say try to watch a highlight clip on YouTube or something. There were some fun moments!

5. January 16, 2012 5:08 pm

Thanks for this T, i decided to chill instead of watching the Globes, so I am a bit behind. One thing I like about the Globes is that they have Drama and Comedy or Musical, that to me is a bit better than throwing everything in together. & I am stoked that Idris Elba won for Luther.

Finally saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, i loved it of course, but I’ve rarely met an espionage picture I didn’t like 🙂

• January 17, 2012 11:11 am

Chillin was a good decision. I watched it later that night from my dvr and ffwded the commercials! 🙂

I, too, was glad for Elba winning!

I am jealous because TTSS still hasn’t come my way. Glad you liked it. You didn’t find it too long? I will look for your review.

• January 17, 2012 2:03 pm

The smart way to watch award shows!

No, I didn’t find it to be overly long and neither did my hubby…but a couple people in the theatre did. There was probably 20 people there Sunday morning. One guy said that if it had been on TV at home, he would’ve changed the channel!

I’m not really sure why he’d stay for the whole thing then?

• January 17, 2012 2:16 pm

haha. some people can be so picky! haha oh well. Glad you liked it!

6. January 17, 2012 4:48 am

I am very up for a bit of Jurassic 4… Sounds great!! Who doesn’t love a dinosaur!!

• January 17, 2012 11:11 am

Velociraptors and T-rexs!!!! woohoo

7. January 17, 2012 9:11 am

Not surprised at all that tickets sales for The Devil Inside dropped 76%. The earnings for its opening wknd were a total fluke…smh

• January 17, 2012 11:11 am

it’s true. did you see it?

• January 17, 2012 11:44 am

No Way was I going to waste my money seeing this…even if it was the only wide released movie that weekend. I took that as opportunity to take the wknd off from the the theatre. That was the only thing that movie was good for…lol. Did u see it?

• January 17, 2012 2:11 pm

haha. smart.

that was a big SKIP for me too! I usually avoid possession type films!

8. January 17, 2012 4:13 pm

Yiiippeee, new The Hobbit pics 😀 Martin Freeman was on a UK chat show recently and I was thinking about what a great Bilbo he should (or will) make. When the casting was announced I was a bit unsure but I’ve definitely come around now.

As you may already know, Jurassic Park is one of my absolute favourite films. However, there is still part of me that is unsure about JP4… I look forward to more news about it!

You guessed quite a few of the Golden Globes correctly, didn’t you T! I’m looking forward to the BAFTAs as it is the only awards ceremony that I can watch at home.

• January 18, 2012 5:31 am

You know, I was especially curious about your thoughts on JP4, knowing you love the franchise so.

I didn’t pay that much attention to the BAFTA last year and I am looking forward to changing that this time around! Esp since Viola Davis and Gary Oldman are up for award!

9. January 18, 2012 6:10 am

I’m loving the images coming off the set of The Hobbit. Oh, how I can’t wait…it’ll be immense, I’m sure.

• January 18, 2012 9:23 am

The Hobbit is going to be absolutely amazing!