The 84th Academy Awards Nominees (and my thoughts)

January 24, 2012

The 84th Academy Awards nominees are in!

Watch the announcement here:

Chico & Rita Fernando Trueba and Javier Mariscal
Kung Fu Panda 2 Jennifer Yuh Nelson
Puss in Boots Chris Miller
Rango Gore Verbinski

Art Direction
The Artist Production Design: Laurence Bennett; Set Decoration: Robert Gould
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 2) Production Design: Stuart Craig; Set Decoration: Stephenie McMillan
Hugo Production Design: Dante Ferretti; Set Decoration: Francesca Lo Schiavo
Midnight in Paris Production Design: Anne Seibel; Set Decoration: Hélène Dubreuil
War Horse Production Design: Rick Carter; Set Decoration: Lee Sandales

The Descendants Alexander Payne
Hugo Martin Scorsese
Midnight in Paris Woody Allen
The Tree of Life Terrence Malick

Documentary (Feature)
Hell and Back Again Danfung Dennis and Mike Lerner
If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front Marshall Curry and Sam Cullman
Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory Charles Ferguson and Audrey Marrs
Pina Wim Wenders and Gian-Piero Ringel
Undefeated TJ Martin, Dan Lindsay and Richard Middlemas

Documentary (Short Subject)
The Barber of Birmingham: Foot Soldier of the Civil Rights Movement Robin Fryday and Gail Dolgin
God Is the Bigger Elvis Rebecca Cammisa and Julie Anderson

Footnote Israel
In Darkness Poland
Monsieur Lazhar Canada
A Separation Iran

Makeup
Albert Nobbs Martial Corneville, Lynn Johnston and Matthew W. Mungle
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 2) Edouard F. Henriques, Gregory Funk and Yolanda Toussieng
The Iron Lady Mark Coulier and J. Roy Helland

Music (Original Score)
The Adventures of Tintin John Williams
The Artist Ludovic Bource
Hugo Howard Shore
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy Alberto Iglesias
War Horse John Williams

Music (Original Song)
“Man or Muppet” from The Muppets Music and Lyric by Bret McKenzie
“Real in Rio” from Rio Music by Sergio Mendes and Carlinhos Brown Lyric by Siedah Garrett

Best Picture
The Artist Thomas Langmann, Producer
The Descendants Jim Burke, Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor, Producers
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close Scott Rudin, Producer
The Help Brunson Green, Chris Columbus and Michael Barnathan, Producers
Hugo Graham King and Martin Scorsese, Producers
Midnight in Paris Letty Aronson and Stephen Tenenbaum, Producers
Moneyball Michael De Luca, Rachael Horovitz and Brad Pitt, Producers
The Tree of Life Nominees to be determined
War Horse Steven Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy, Producers

Short Film (Animated)
Dimanche/Sunday Patrick Doyon
The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore William Joyce and Brandon Oldenburg
La Luna Enrico Casarosa

Drive Lon Bender and Victor Ray Ennis
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Ren Klyce
Hugo Philip Stockton and Eugene Gearty
Transformers: Dark of the Moon Ethan Van der Ryn and Erik Aadahl
War Horse Richard Hymns and Gary Rydstrom

Sound Mixing
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo David Parker, Michael Semanick, Ren Klyce and Bo Persson
Hugo Tom Fleischman and John Midgley
Moneyball Deb Adair, Ron Bochar, Dave Giammarco and Ed Novick
Transformers: Dark of the Moon Greg P. Russell, Gary Summers, Jeffrey J. Haboush and Peter J. Devlin
War Horse Gary Rydstrom, Andy Nelson, Tom Johnson and Stuart Wilson

Visual Effects
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 2) Tim Burke, David Vickery, Greg Butler and John Richardson
Hugo Rob Legato, Joss Williams, Ben Grossman and Alex Henning
Real Steel Erik Nash, John Rosengrant, Dan Taylor and Swen Gillberg
Rise of the Planet of the Apes Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, R. Christopher White and Daniel Barrett
Transformers: Dark of the Moon Scott Farrar, Scott Benza, Matthew Butler and John Frazier

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
The Descendants Screenplay by Alexander Payne and Nat Faxon & Jim Rash
Hugo Screenplay by John Logan
The Ides of March Screenplay by George Clooney & Grant Heslov and Beau Willimon
Moneyball Screenplay by Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin. Story by Stan Chervin
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy Screenplay by Bridget O’Connor & Peter Straughan

Writing (Original Screenplay)
The Artist Written by Michel Hazanavicius
Bridesmaids Written by Annie Mumolo & Kristen Wiig
Margin Call Written by J.C. Chandor
Midnight in Paris Written by Woody Allen
A Separation Written by Asghar Farhadi

—————————————————————————————————–

Several of the nominations were expected.

I was glad to see:

1. Gary Oldman receive his first (and long overdue) Academy Award nomination for his role in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
  2. Midnight in Paris nominated for 4 Oscars
  3. Nick Nolte nominated for his supporting role in Warrior
  4. Viola Davis nominated for her leading role in The Help
  5. Kenneth Branagh nominated for his supporting role in My Week With Marilyn
  6. Moneyball receive 6 nominations, including Best Picture
  7. The Artist receive 10 nominations, including Best Picture
  8. The Help receive 4 nominations, including Best Picture
  9. Extremely Loud & Incredibly Closereceive 2 nominations, including Best Picture (a surprise for me)
  10. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo receive 5 nominations
  11. John Williams nominated twice for Original Score category (War Horse and The Adventures of Tintin)
  12. The Muppets receive a nomination for Original Song
  13. Jane Eyre receive a nomination for Costume Design
  14. Pina receive a nomination for Documentary
  15. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 receive 3 nominations

I was surprised to see:

1. No Original Score nomination for Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.
  2. 3 separate nominations for Transformers: Dark of the Moon!
  3. No Disney or Pixar nomination
  4. Only 1 nomination for Rise of the Planet of the Apes
  5. Albert Nobbs receive 3 nominations

Tell me, what were you surprised by? Excited for? or Disappointed about? Any bold predictions at this point in time? Leave a comment!

Be ready to watch the Academy Awards, hosted by Billy Crystal on February 26th!

Thanks for reading!

up next: The results of THE RED WEB AWARDS!!!

1. January 24, 2012 7:54 am

It could be argued that since Disney owns the Muppets now they did at least get a best song nomination. It was crazy that Albert Brooks didn’t get a nod. For Shame.

• SilkSpectre permalink
      January 24, 2012 8:37 am

Interesting nominations. Not gonna lie, seeing Melissa McCarthy get nominated is kinda amazing! Otherwise, kinda disappointing.

• January 24, 2012 9:06 am

very interesting indeed. just realized that Hugo walked away with 11 noms! It was good, but I didn’t think it was THAT great!

Congrats to McCarthy. My excitement for Viola Davis and Gary Oldman may equal yours for her!

• January 24, 2012 9:11 am

Ooh! Good point there Max! I wasn’t thinking about that! thank you!

And, yes, Albert Brooks did well. I know that Fogs’ wanted him to be nominated, but I will tell you that I am so glad that Nolte was nominated!

2. January 24, 2012 8:13 am

Oh man, oh man. I do not know who all are part of the selection process…but when you nominate ‘Jonah Hill’ for his narrowly decent role in “Moneyball,” (sorry, not a fan of baseball) over Michael Fassbender in “Hunger,” I haven’t seen “Shame” yet–there is a problem. I can also go on about Andy Serkis not receiving a nomination for anything. It takes just as much energy to “act” behind a CG imposed animal–as an actor, regardless in any particular presentation! Rooney Mara? Come on! The Academy nominates films that make them lots of moolah. Forget this. I am not happy with almost all the noms! . *throw hands up*

• January 24, 2012 9:10 am

Every year the Academy ends up snubbing certain favorites. They usually end up going for the ones that appeal to them (which is okay), but when the average age of the members of the Academy is 105, then several other great films that appeal to younger crowds get overlooked. Remember last year when Christopher Nolan didn’t receive even a nomination for Best Director with Inception?

• January 24, 2012 9:11 pm

I never thought Jonah Hill would get nominated!! I’m not a fan of baseball either, nor Pitt, so I’ll be skipping Moneyball.

• January 25, 2012 12:57 pm

This was still a great film. Baseball fan or not! True story. Several non-baseball movie fans rather enjoyed it. I still recommend a viewing.

• January 25, 2012 3:34 am

Me too Ruth!! It never crossed my mine to watch Moneyball…despite all the praises

• January 25, 2012 1:08 pm

I hope you check it out Novia. It really is worth a viewing still.

3. Stepheny permalink
    January 24, 2012 8:36 am

I can’t believe extremely loud and incredibly close.was nominated for best picture. I hated that movie. It tried way too hard to make you cry, and I wanted to kick the main character in the face.

• January 24, 2012 9:06 am

ha! I still haven’t watched EL&IC, I knew it would receive some sort of nomination, but truly wasn’t expecting it to be nominated for best picture!

your comment made me laugh!

• January 24, 2012 9:12 pm

I haven’t read a single good review of ‘extremely loud and incredibly close’ so yeah, that’s in my WTF category of my Oscar reaction post 🙂

• January 25, 2012 12:57 pm

It really was the dark horse this time around.

• January 24, 2012 11:45 am

That’s the funniest thing I’ve read all day.

And apparently Jonah Hill was more deserving of praise than Albert Brooks in the Academy’s eyes. What were they thinking?

There are a lot of great nominations, but stuff like that just makes my head spin.

• January 24, 2012 5:25 pm

It’s too bad that Albert Brooks didn’t get a nom, but I am glad to see Jonah Hill get a nom. I hope for him to be able to be taken more seriously because he has talent…if he’d only use it all the time.

I think WE should be on the Academy!

4. January 24, 2012 1:14 pm

Based on blog posts around the time of release, I expect there’s going to be some flak over The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo not getting a Best Picture nomination. But at least Rooney Mara got a Best Actress nom, so hopefully people won’t be too upset.

I’m not surprised there wasn’t a Disney/Pixar film in Best Animated Feature this year. Their contributions were Winnie the Pooh and Cars 2 this year, and neither seemed to really be setting the world on fire. Winnie the Pooh I would say had a chance, since it was critically well received, but I can’t say I’m all that surprised to see it get overlooked.

Transformers 3 getting 3 nominations doesn’t surprise me either, considering which three it got. Visual and sound… the one thing I think everyone can agree on about Michael Bay’s TF series is that they really do well on the “spectacle” aspect.

• January 24, 2012 5:27 pm

You make some pretty solid points there Morgan!

and I read a comment somewhere today (sorry, can’t tell you who said it, I was on so many great pages today), that someone pretty much considered a “Best Actress” nom to be pretty high up there, if not a fantastic substitute for a BP nom. I thought that was a nice sentiment for TGWTDT

5. January 24, 2012 1:44 pm

So i guess the academy voters were the only people that liked EL&IC, cause from what i could tell no one else did

• January 24, 2012 5:28 pm

You’re right about that Julian. I will have to see it and gather my own conclusion. However, I think it will be a lot the same as everyone else’s.

6. January 24, 2012 4:44 pm

Dragon Tattoo should have been in the BP nominees. For one thing, there was another spot still open. For another, it could have taken War Horses or Extremely Loud’s stop. Or many they need some films in there they WANT people to root against, like The Blind Side a couple years ago.

Bridesmaids being nominated for screenplay is pretty ridiculous.

Its pretty sweet that the Muppets are going to win an Oscar.

• January 24, 2012 5:29 pm

Kind of like a “well, someone’s gotta lose” ballot spot, huh?

ha. Yes, it’s pretty sure that the Muppets will win an Oscar!

7. January 24, 2012 10:31 pm

Congrats to Gary Oldman for his first Oscar nomination. About time!!!! Glad that Midnight in Paris and the Tree of Life got Best Pic nods. Not happy that Extremely Loud made the cut, it cheapens the whole thing.

• January 25, 2012 12:59 pm

You know, I do feel a little cheated with the fact that Extremely Loud made it and neither Drive, Shame, or 50/50 did.

But I am glad for Midnight in Paris and for Gary Oldman.

8. January 25, 2012 12:45 am

I literally threw my hands up and cheered when I saw Oldman’s name on the list. Can’t believe it took this long to make that happen.

EL&IC is a freaking mess. Outstanding story but what a waste of time otherwise. I have no idea how that movie crept in.

The hate on Jonah Hill is odd to me. I’ve never been a fan of Hill and I think Moneyball is overrated but Hill was really, really good; maybe even better than Pitt. Totally deserved. Brooks definitely deserved a spot, too, but I’m not sure I’d take away Hill’s nod to put Brooks in.

Only other real complaint was the (expected but nontheless disappointing) Academy ignoring 50/50 and Drive (including Brooks). Two absolutely exquisite films gets nothing from Oscar. Booo.

• January 25, 2012 1:07 pm

Me too! When Oldman received his nom I was so excited.

EL&IC getting nom’d over 50/50, Shame, Drive, etc…does bother me, but if it wins (which I doubt) there will be a massive uprising I am sure. haha

I’m with you in being impressed with Jonah Hill. Brooks is also deserving but no in place of Hill.

Thanks for commenting. Also, thanks for promoting the Red Web Awards on your page. I really appreciate it.

9. January 25, 2012 3:38 am

Everyone been praising Ryan Gosling, I haven’t watched Drive yet, I thought he would get nomination too

• January 25, 2012 1:09 pm

You’re right. No love for Ryan Gosling. hmm, another snub of the nominations. He and Michael Fassbender are, perhaps, in a class all their own.

10. January 25, 2012 5:57 am

You’re spot on about Gary Oldman’s “long over due” Oscar nomination. I hope he wins but I don’t think he will.

Likewise, I’d like to see Alexander Payne get the major awards for film and director but I’m not sure he’ll win out over The Artist.

• January 25, 2012 1:11 pm

I was ecstatic for Oldman. But I think you’re right, a nomination is probably as far as it will go. It seems the Academy is only interested in “making up” with only 1 repeatedly snubbed person this year: Martin Scorsese.