Movie News Monday for January 30, 2012!

January 30, 2012

Welcome to this week’s edition of “Movie News Monday!” (“MNM!”)!!

What is ‘MNM’all about?

In case this is your first time here, “Movie News Monday!” (MNM) is the place to visit every Monday for a quick recap of trending entertainment news! I’ve collected info, rumors, etc from all over just for you to keep you updated on movies being released, actors/actresses in roles, dvd releases to keep a lookout for, which movie won in the box office over the weekend, etc! Are you ready for your weekly update? Here it is!

This Just In!!…

#1- “The Weekend Winner.”  This past weekend, #1 spot in the box office again went to 1 of 3 new releases that hit the theaters! The Grey, One for the Money, and Man on a Ledge entered the entertainment arena. Would Katherine Heigl’s bounty hunting skills find and capture the top spot over Liam Neeson’s wolf fighting skills? Or would most people just end up falling for the Man on a Ledge?

Here are the weekend’s estimated results for Fri, Jan 27-Sun, Jan 29:

1. The Grey ~$20M
  2. Underworld: Awakening ~$12.5M
  3. One for the Money ~$11.8M
  4. Red Tails ~$10.4M
  5. Man on a Ledge ~$8.3M
  6. Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close ~$7.1M
  7. The Descendants ~$6.55M
  8. Contraband ~$6.5M
  9. Beauty & the Beast (3D) ~$5.3M
  10. Haywire ~$4M

Congrats to The Grey

#2- “Happy for the SAG!” Last night, the SAG (Screen Actor’s Guild) award winners were announced. This award not only covers motion picture performances, but also television performances. Out of the 5 motion picture categories, 2011’s The Help earned 3!!

1. Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture – The Help
  2. Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role- Octavia Spencer
  3. Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role- Viola Davis

Congratulations to The Help, but, oh, I wish the biggest congratulations to Viola Davis! Nominated for a Golden Globe (awarded to Meryl Streep), and for an Oscar (which may also go to Meryl Streep), I am very happy to see her edge out a deserved win here. The Academy Awards air live on Feb. 26th.

…also, congratulations to winners Christopher Plummer (Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role), and Jean Dujardin (Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role).

#3- “New Trailer: Lock-Out.” Guy Pearce stars in this upcoming sci-fi thriller, entitled Lock-Out, as a man wrongly accused as a spy that now must go to an outerspace prison and rescue the President’s daughter. Reminds me just a little of Escape from NY, but looks to be rather intriguing.

Check out the trailer for Lock-Out!

Lock-Out lets loose on theaters on April 20, 2012.

#4- “New Set Photo for Riddick” The sequel to Chronicles of Riddick is on the way, starring Vin Diesel who reprises the role of Riddick for the 3rd time. I am quite interested in seeing this film (being a big fan of Pitch Black). Courtesy Collider, here is the synopsis for the upcoming 3rd installment of the series:

Betrayed by his own kind and left for dead on a desolate planet, Riddick (Diesel) fights for survival against alien predators and becomes more powerful and dangerous than ever before. Soon bounty hunters from throughout the galaxy descend on Riddick only to find themselves pawns in his greater scheme for revenge. With his enemies right where he wants them, Riddick unleashes a vicious attack of vengeance before returning to his home planet of Furya to save it from destruction.

A couple of set photos have surfaced in the past month. Here are the latest (courtesy Vin Diesel’s Facebook Page)!

Look for this to release in 2013.

#5- “This Week’s Blu-ray release.” This week, look for the following films on Blu-ray to possibly add to your collection:

Drive– Snubbed by the majority of this year’s award ceremonies, director Nicholas Winding Refn’s Drive packs tons of octane, adrenaline, emotion, and film nostalgia into this surprising action film! Starring Ryan Gosling (“Mr. 2011”), Christina Hendricks, Albert Brooks, Carey Mulligan, Bryan Cranston, and more, check out Drive (Read my REVIEW).

Also releasing: In Time (Read My REVIEW), Transformers 3 in 3D (Read My REVIEW), and The Big Year

Well, that’s it for this round of “Movie News Monday!”

up next: “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

1. Megaman permalink
    January 30, 2012 9:10 am

Hmmm…. lock out looks interesting. Always glad to see a good Sci-Fi trailer. Hopefully it holds up for the movie. Alos, thanks for the news on “Chronicles of Riddick”. My wife and I enjoyed these movies and she will be glad to hear they are making another. =) I’ll give you the credit don’t worry.

Oh…. where in my newspaper clipping!?!?!?!?!? 😉

• January 30, 2012 7:11 pm

ha! No need for the credit. 🙂 just glad to be able to share with you some of the cool movie findings I found this past week.

Oh, and I have your newspaper set aside. don’t worry!

2. January 30, 2012 10:17 am

Lockout doesn’t look like anything special to me

• January 30, 2012 7:13 pm

ha. I understand that. Not even Guy Pearce is getting you interested? I’ll say that I am glad to see someone trying to do a slightly decent looking scifi film. that genre can use more of that IMO.

3. January 30, 2012 2:55 pm

Boy, Lockout really does look like “Escape From Space York”, doesn’t it? (And I only barely remember EFNY, so there’s a pretty strong resemblance to get me to say that.) But it looks like it could be fun nevertheless.

• January 30, 2012 7:15 pm

ha. Right?! Glad I’m not the only one who thought so. Thanks for stopping in Morgan. See any great films this past weekend? Are you interested in seeing Chronicle this upcoming weekend?

• January 30, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi, T. I haven’t made it to the theatre for a while; been busy. Heck, haven’t even watched too many movies at home this past week. Need to amend that, obviously.

Chronicle looks like it could be interesting. Not sure whether it’ll be good, but it’s one I’ll probably try to catch in the theatre. Not this weekend, though; I think this weekend is already all committed between my birthday, the Super Bowl, and other things.

• January 30, 2012 7:38 pm

I, too, will be busy outside of theaters this weekend, but I hope you have a GREAT birthday. and if one of your teams is playing in the Superbowl (mine isn’t), then may they win in your honor.

if not…then, enjoy the game! LOL

• January 30, 2012 7:43 pm

Thanks! I don’t have a strong preference — I’ll openly admit I largely watch for the commercials — but I’m rooting for the Giants.

• January 31, 2012 10:03 am

ha. Yeah, this time around I think I will be watching mainly for the trailers and tv spots

4. January 30, 2012 2:59 pm

Lock Out looks like B-movie fun! Kind of reminds me of these late 80’s, early 90’s campy action movies. And Guy Pearce seems to own the wisecracking lines!

• January 30, 2012 7:15 pm

Guy Pearce really seems to own the part. I’ll be giving this one a look.

5. January 30, 2012 7:41 pm

I’m excited to see drive. Hopefully I can check it out this weekend.

• January 31, 2012 10:02 am

I hope you get to, Ian. Please review it if you can, I’d love to read your thoughts. Send me the link once you do, if you don’t mind.

6. January 31, 2012 12:01 am

Hey T, my weekend was pretty solid, just getting back into my school routineHow was yours my friend?

Are you interested in Chronicle? The idea seems a little weird, but I am extremely intrigued by the director, especially since he’s only 26 if I remember correctly.

• January 31, 2012 10:05 am

I am interested in Chronicle only to see how they got their powers. If it really is original or if, once again, an alien crash landed or a meteor came down, or something unoriginally ludicrous like that. I’m sure it’ll be neat, but I’m not going to be mad if I miss it in theaters. ha.

Didn’t know that about the director. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll have to look him up. Best of wishes to you with school resuming.

7. January 31, 2012 1:31 am

Great coverage and nice site you run here.

God, I hated THE HELP.

• January 31, 2012 10:05 am

Sam, welcome, and Thank You for the kind words.

Really! You hated The Help? Wow, I’m intrigued. I’d love to know why.

• January 31, 2012 5:09 pm

Sam, The Help was fantastic, and so was Hugo 😉

• January 31, 2012 9:31 pm

I can roll with you on The Help here Matt…but I personally didn’t see Hugo as deserving of all the nominations it has received…even though it is a good movie. 🙂

8. January 31, 2012 1:41 am

I am quite looking forward to LOCK OUT… looks fun!!

Am I alone here?

• January 31, 2012 10:06 am

Doesn’t seem like you are Scott. At least Castor wants to check it out. 😀

9. January 31, 2012 3:05 am

Actually Gosling and Refn are reteaming for Only God Forgives (2012). Maybe Drive got snubbed at the oscars and golden globes, because of the controversial violence, but then again Braveheart won a lot of oscars, so that’s no excuse!

• January 31, 2012 10:09 am

Hi Chris, and welcome to TFF! Thanks for commenting today.

Good point on Braveheart, It seems that not only Gosling and Refn got snubbed, but so did Albert Brooks. I think that we need to be on the Academy…That’s why every year I host the Red Web Awards https://thefocusedfilmographer.com/2012/01/17/its-time-to-vote-tuesday-83-the-red-web-awards/

10. February 1, 2012 9:13 am

I love the description on IMDB for Lockout – He has to save the President’s daughter from a prison IN OUTER SPACE! That sold it to me 😉

So glad that the European Drive blu-ray has the original poster cover art – do not like what you guys have got there!

• February 1, 2012 9:29 am

You know, I have to agree with you on the DRIVE comment…actually I have to agree with you on the LOCKOUT comment as well! haha 🙂

11. February 1, 2012 9:23 am

Very happy about The Help winning Best Ensemble at SAG! As for Lockout, it’s more of a rental at best for me. I like Pearce but the premise just isn’t exciting.

• February 1, 2012 9:31 am

Yes, I was thrilled to see The Help receive such accolades.

1. Filmplicity » Blog Archive » LINK LOVE: COMMENT WORTHY CONTENT WELL WORTH YOUR TIME THIS WEEK!