Upcoming Movie Spotlight: Prometheus

February 6, 2012

Max sheds some light on Ridley Scott’s upcoming thriller, Prometheus!

Max, Creator and Editor of ImpassionedCinema

When Ridley Scott first announced Prometheus, fans around the world could only imagine the spectacle. First, it was believed that Prometheus would be an Alien series prequel. How it ties into that historic franchise remains to be seen, but we can have a look into exactly what we know about Prometheus today.

Release Date: June 8, 2012

Director: Oh, Ridley Scott. Three of your films are some of my favorites ever (Gladiator, Blade Runner, Alien), but your most recent output has been suspect. Robin Hood was instantly forgettable. I’d go as far as to say your last really good movies were Black Hawk Down and Gladiator. I know the Directors-cut of Kingdom of Heaven was good, but you don’t need 2+ attempts to get the movie right. Please show that your capable of making excellent Sci-Fi once again.

Cast: When Prometheus was first announced,  the leading cast was Charlize Theron and a few names no one was familiar with. What a difference a year makes. The film features one of the most demand actors of right now in Micheal Fassbender (X-Men: First Class, Shame). Prometheus also features; Guy Pearce (hot off his turn in Mildred Pierce), Charlize Theron (Golden Globe nominee for Young Adult), and Noomi Rapace (Sherlock Holmes 2 and the Swedish “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”).

History: Alien shook the world with its space-horror in 1979. Featuring more twists than you could throw a stick at and the emergence as Signorny Weaver as a super-star, Alien expertly played mind-games with he audience. Ridley Scott doesn’t typically do sequels, so when it was time to continue the Alien story, James Cameron (Terminator, Titanic, Avatar) was asked to continue the story. Whereas Alien is slow and cerebral, Aliens is a thrilling action-horror. The two movies couldn’t be more different besides for the Aliens and Signorny Weaver once again making a female role model for generations of women. I haven’t seen the other movies in the franchise, but I’ve heard David Fincher (The Social Network, Fight Club) got the short end of the stick in Alien 3. It was all down hill from there.

Synopsis: Prometheus takes a team of scientists and explorers on a thrilling journey that will test their physical and mental limits and strand them on a distant world, where they will discover the answers to our most profound questions and to life’s ultimate mystery.

What We Know: Whether or Prometheus is going to be a direct Alien prequel is unknown. Thus far we have a few images and brief trailer that show us that it will be from the same universe as Alien and Ridley Scott may have some more terror up his sleeve. Here is a small collection of the media released for Prometheus thus far. (Click any picture from the gallery for a full-screen slideshow.)

Trailer:

Hype: Given Ridley Scott’s background with Sci-Fi, this could be a new classic in the making. It’s been years since the last worthy chapter in the Alien franchise and it’s exciting to imagine what Scott can accomplish with today’s technology and 3D. Easily one the most anticipated movies of the year.

–Max
Impassionedcinema.com

(Movie News Monday will return NEXT week! Stay tuned!)

1. February 6, 2012 8:37 am

Sir Ridley with an awesome cast in a genre Scott does best, yes count me in!

• February 8, 2012 12:25 pm

looking forward to Prometheus myself!

2. February 6, 2012 8:45 am

I can’t describe how excited I am about this film. As a huge fan of the first three Alien films, the fact director Ridley Scott is the man to go back and create a prequel to the whole saga is thrilling to say the least.

• February 8, 2012 12:26 pm

It is a def added bonus that Scott is doing this. If anyone else was, I’m not sure that I’d be too interested. Thanks for the comment.

3. February 6, 2012 8:54 am

So very excited. A proper sci-fi film. Feels like we haven’t had a good, proper one in ages. If Ridley Scott can get back on form, should be awesome.

• February 8, 2012 12:26 pm

agreed. an awesome addition to the scifi genre for sure! Can’t wait.

4. February 6, 2012 11:17 am

And don’t forget Golden Globe winner Idris Elba, although his stock may take a hit being in the latest Ghost Rider installment.

• February 8, 2012 12:39 pm

I hope not though. I hope he keeps up his level of standing in Hollywood. 🙂

• February 9, 2012 7:03 pm

There’s early rumors that say this Ghost Rider is worse than the original. Why did they remake it…with the same lead actor?!?! Makes no sense at all.

5. February 6, 2012 4:15 pm

Excellent report, Max, I seriously cannot wait to see this film 😀

• February 9, 2012 7:02 pm

Glad you enjoyed it Claire. I can’t wait till we here more about this film.

6. IanTheCool permalink
    February 6, 2012 7:49 pm

I like your comments on the two attempts to get a movie right. Director’s cuts have always bothered me for that reason.

Also, I think Alien 3 gets a bad wrap. It captures a lot more of the mood of Alien rather than Aliens, and maybe I like it for that reason.

• February 9, 2012 7:01 pm

I really ended up liking ‘Kingdom of Heaven’ on his second try, but it shouldn’t of needed it. Nevermind the five different cuts we have of Blade Runner.

I haven’t seen Alien 3 even though I have the Blu-ray set. It just doesn’t seem that enticing considering David Fincher has disowned the film. Thanks for commenting.

7. February 7, 2012 4:39 am

Nicely done matey. One of my most wanted films of the year… hence my new website banner!!

🙂

• February 8, 2012 12:42 pm

just saw the new banner Scott. Love it. Along with your newest gravatar. Looks great!

• February 9, 2012 7:01 pm

I didn’t know that was supposed to be this. OH how blind I am.