Movie News Monday for February 20, 2012!

February 20, 2012

Welcome to this week’s edition of “Movie News Monday!” (“MNM!”)!!

What is ‘MNM’all about?

In case this is your first time here, “Movie News Monday!” (MNM) is the place to visit every Monday for a quick recap of trending entertainment news! I’ve collected info, rumors, etc from all over just for you to keep you updated on movies being released, actors/actresses in roles, dvd releases to keep a lookout for, which movie won in the box office over the weekend, etc! Are you ready for your weekly update? Here it is!

This Just In!!…

#1- “The Weekend Winner.”  This past weekend, several movies contended for the #1 spot in the box office, including the Valentine’s Day special The Vow. Three new releases went up against The Vow and Safe House, but none of them made it to the top. It was last week’s new releases that ended up wrestling to make it to the top. Which movie did you opt to support this past holiday weekend?

Here are the weekend’s estimated results for Fri, Feb 17-Sun, Feb 19:

1. Safe House ~$24M
  2. The Vow ~$23.6M
  3. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance ~$22M
  4. Journey 2: The Mysterious Island ~$20.1M
  5. This Means War ~$17.6M
  6. Star Wars: Episode I- The Phantom Menace (3D) ~$7.9M
  7. Chronicle ~$7.5M
  8. The Woman in Black ~$6.6M
  9. The Secret World of Arrietty ~$6.4M
  10. The Grey ~$3.0M

Congrats to Safe House on its surprising box-office takeover!

#2- “The Legend Returns.” A sequel is in the works to follow the 2007 thriller I Am Legend. For those of you who watched the first one starring Will Smith, this may come as interesting news, especially since Will Smith is also looking to be returning in his role as Dr. Robert Neville. A script is currently underway which will be presented to Will Smith at which point in time he will decide whether or not to reprise the role he played in the major blockbuster of 2007 (Over $585 million worldwide!).

For those that watched I Am Legend, you realize the interesting obstacle that the writers have to overcome in allowing certain aspects and characters to appear in the sequel (*tip-toeing around spoilers*). I can see them utilizing the alternate ending (click HERE) to introduce a sequel, but otherwise, I’m not too sure how it would all play out.

Director Francis Lawrence has already made clear that he felt the sequel project was dead and currently has no connections to the project.

What are your thoughts? Are you even a fan of the first one? Interested in a sequel? Wish they’d leave it alone? Share in the comment section.

#3- “Painting the Galaxy RED.” RED 2, sequel to the action-packed 2010 film, is coming soon! RED stars Bruce Willis, Helen Mirren, John Malkovich, Mary-Louise Parker, Morgan Freeman, Karl Urban, Brian Cox (whew, who wasn’t in this film?!), and, boy, what a blast of a film it is! (Trailer)

The sequel currently has no current release date, but the project reportedly has just about landed a director. Enter Dean Parisot, director of 1999’s Galaxy Quest.

Photo courtesy Collider.com

Academy Award winner Parisot’s ability to blend comedy and action together has been mainly focused on TV series over the past decade or so. His involvement in this projects looks to be a highly promising addition to the film. Currently, Willis is reportedly making room for the sequel in his schedule while the additional star cast members have yet to be approached for any negotiations.

What do you think? Are you excited to see RED 2 come to fruition? Were you a fan of Galaxy Quest?

#4- “From Sherlock to Perry Mason.” Robert Downey, Jr. -the comeback story of this millennia. He’s done Sherlock Holmes, Iron Man, and several others along the way! Downey, Jr. also produces projects and has partnered up with producer/writer Marc Guggenheim (Green Lantern) for a new project.

Guggenheim is currently in negotiations with Warner Bros to pen a script for said project that Robert Downey, Jr., along with his producer wife Susan Downey, are set to produce -a Perry Mason film. Based on an original concept of Downey, Jr’s and David Gambino, the upcoming proposed project is to follow the classic detective’s tales which are “set in the 1930s and feature characters such as Mason’s secretary, Della Street, private investigator Paul Drake, and Mason’s longtime courtroom nemesis, Hamilton Burger.”

Downey, Jr. is, of course, to star as the super sleuth. Perhaps they can make a film in which Holmes and Mason work against each other and the clock to solve the crime of the century! haha.

What do you think? Are you interested in seeing Downey, Jr. as ANOTHER detective? Or should he just stick with Sherlock Holmes?

#5- “This Week’s Blu-ray release.” This week, look for the following films on Blu-ray to possibly add to your collection:

Puss in Boots– Puss in Boots receives his first full-length feature after his beloved entrance into the Shrek franchise. Not “The best animated film of last year,” (as the cover claims), but there still remains a shred of the Shrek universe to enjoy. Look for it this week. (Read my REVIEW)

Also releasing: Tower Heist, J. Edgar, Martha Marcy May Marlene, and London Boulevard.

Well, that’s it for this round of “Movie News Monday!”

up next: “Time to Vote Tuesday!” along with reviews for: Take Shelter, The Vow, and The Secret World of Arrietty. Stay Tuned.

1. February 20, 2012 9:07 am

Red 2? Oh my dear lord. I really kinda hated the first. Well, not hate. I was truly bored by it. I was expecting grumpy old men with guns. It didn’t really deliver!

I was one of the few who liked I Am Legend. The ending not so much. The sequel’s been floating around for a while. Well, I’ll be interested to see where it goes. Prequel? Will Smith in flashbacks?

• February 21, 2012 9:36 am

I didn’t mind I Am Legend, but it still isn’t in my personal movie collection. I’d prefer to see Smith in the flashbacks if anything, but I guess we’ll just have to hurry and wait to see how it goes.

2. February 20, 2012 9:24 am

Interesting to see how poorly Phantom Menace is doing. Perhaps fans will finally send a message to Lucas that just because he releases something with Star Wars on it doesn’t necessarily mean it will make money. I mean, I’m one of the biggest Star Wars fans I know, and I really couldn’t be bothered with Ep1 in 3D.

Reds 2 hey? Interesting. The first one was quite fun.

• February 21, 2012 9:39 am

Yes, well, Lucas will still try, I guess. Especially since he has his re-releases scheduled for the next 5 years with 3D.

glad you’re game for RED 2!

3. February 20, 2012 10:34 am

They need to let I am Legend die. They totally missed the point of what the story is supposed to be about. They just turned it into cookie cutter zombie/vampire movie.

• February 21, 2012 9:41 am

ah. I remember now that you werent a fan of I Am Legend.

maybe the sequel could turn into redemption. haha

4. February 20, 2012 10:52 am

Didn’t Freeman’s character die in the first one?

• February 20, 2012 11:14 am

Well, talk about ur spoiler alert. Lol. I’m not saying if he did or didn’t (for sake of those that haven’t seen it) but even if something like that did happen, there’s always flashbacks!

• February 20, 2012 2:59 pm

Sorry, it is just i figured anyone who has any interest in that movie would have seen it by now.

• February 20, 2012 3:25 pm

😀

5. February 20, 2012 11:29 am

I have grown a bit weary of Will Smith in films as lately he seems to be playing some sort of Will Smith archtype. I am Legend was not completely terrible. I was more upset about the canine incident than I was about the %$%%% of you know who.

• February 21, 2012 9:42 am

I see what you mean with his films as of late. Not as much of a risk-taker when now is the time in his career that he could afford a couple.

He seems to be quite taken with helping his son’s career instead currently. Can’t really fault him for that.

6. February 20, 2012 9:13 pm

I don’t mind a I Am Legend sequel but it has to make sense with the end of the first movie. If it’s not going to be a prequel then how could they possibly bring back Will Smith?

And I guess that’s the end of Ghost Rider for a while now. The movie made half the opening weekend of the first one. While this one was made cheaper, it probably won’t even make it to $50 million.

• February 21, 2012 9:48 am

yes. I am very interested in what the take on the sequel will be.

Ohh, and bad news for GR2, yeah?

7. February 21, 2012 1:37 am

I am not really feeling a I AM LEGEND sequel if I am honest. I just do not see how it will fit in.

• February 21, 2012 9:48 am

Neither do I at this time Scott. I am one of the few that I know that preferred the theatrical ending as opposed to the alternate, but we’ll see what happens.

8. February 21, 2012 11:49 am

Hmmm, that’s a very mixed bag of news. I really enjoyed I Am Legend but I agree with Castor, it has to make sense with the ending of the first film.

Now a RED sequel I am onboard with! I really, really enjoyed RED 😀

• February 21, 2012 9:40 pm

RED2 would be a lot of fun if it’s done right.

9. February 22, 2012 11:06 am

I’m surprised Safe House has some legs, Denzel’s certainly a force to be reckoned with!

Well I like RED so I’m looking forward to the sequel! I sure hope the original cast will return, especially Karl Urban, mm mmm! 😀

• February 22, 2012 11:46 pm

I was surprised that Safe House took the top spot as well. was NOT expecting that.

I’d actually expect Karl Urban to be in the film.