Movie News Monday for February 27, 2012!

February 27, 2012

Welcome to this week’s edition of “Movie News Monday!” (“MNM!”)!!

What is ‘MNM’all about?

In case this is your first time here, “Movie News Monday!” (MNM) is the place to visit every Monday for a quick recap of trending entertainment news! I’ve collected info, rumors, etc from all over just for you to keep you updated on movies being released, actors/actresses in roles, dvd releases to keep a lookout for, which movie won in the box office over the weekend, etc! Are you ready for your weekly update? Here it is!

This Just In!!…

#1- “The Weekend Winner.”  This past weekend, the #1 spot in the box office was up for grabs and the previous weekend’s champion faced 4 new releases. Did the Navy Seal film, Act of Valor, shoot up the competition? Did film-lovers lust enough for Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd? Did Gone actually show up and beat them all? Or did the Good Deeds of Tyler Perry prevail?

Here are the weekend’s estimated results for Fri, Feb 24-Sun, Feb 26:

1. Act of Valor ~$24.7M
  2. Tyler Perry’s Good Deeds ~$16M
  3. Journey 2: The Mysterious Island ~$13.5M
  4. Safe House ~$11.4M
  5. The Vow ~$10M
  6. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance ~$8.8M
  7. This Means War ~$8.5M
  8. Wanderlust ~$6.6M
  9. Gone ~$5M
  10. The Secret World of Arrietty ~$4.5M

Congrats to Act of Valor on its weekend win!

#2- “Adam Sandler Loves Raspberries.” Or maybe it’s the other way around. Yes, the 84th Academy Awards were last night, but the 32nd Annual Razzie nominations were also announced yesterday. In case you are not aware of what the “Razzies” are: While the Academy Awards focus on the “Best in Film,” the Razzies focus on the “Worst in Film.”

Adam Sandler was nominated for a record-breaking ELEVEN Razzies including Worst Picture (Jack & Jill, Bucky Larson); Worst Actor (as Jack); and Worst Actress (as Jill).

Several other nominees will be up for a win in several categories at the award ceremony. “Worst Picture, Actor, and Actress” are only just a few of the categories.

Jack & Jill and Bucky Larson will be competing against Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn pt 1, Transformers: Dark of the Moon, and New Years Eve for the Worst Film of 2011.

The Razzies award ceremony will be held on April Fools’ Day (April 1, 2012).

Which film should win the Razzie for Worst film?

#3- “New Image for TURBO.” Turbo, DreamWorks’ upcoming animation stars the vocal talent of Ryan Reynolds as an everyday little garden snail that dreams of being the fastest racing snail on the planet. Due to a freak accident, he develops the power of incredible speed and ventures off to compete in Indy racing and achieve his impossible dream! Sounds fun.

Check out the rest of the cast that has been amassed for this upcoming adventure:

Michael Pena, Paul Giamatti, Michelle Rodriguez, Luis Guzman, Maya Rudolph, Bill Hader, Snoop Dogg, Richard Jenkins, Ken Jeong, Ben Schwartz, Kurtwood Smith, and Samuel L. Jackson.

This looks to be a great money-making summer blockbuster that will have audiences of all ages enjoying it. Glad to see DreamWorks venturing out and working on other projects that are not “Shrek-related.” Look for it in 2013!

What do you think? Are you excited to check out Turbo?

#4- “And the Oscar goes to…” I just have to take a moment here to congratulate all of the winners of last night’s Academy Award ceremony!

While so many films were represented at the Oscars, only one could leave with the award from each respective category!

To see the list of winners for each category, click HERE.

Congratulations to The Artist and Hugo which ended the evening with 5 Oscars each! The Artist took the night with Best Picture, Best Actor in a Leading Role, Best Costume Design, Best Directing, and Best Original Score

Several other things of note happened last night such as Christopher Plummer (Beginners)at the age of 82 becoming the oldest actor to be awarded the Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role, Octavia Spencer receiving her first ever Academy Award for her role in The Help, and Meryl Streep winning her first Academy Award since 1982! Congratulations to all of the winners!

(See my review for the winner of Best Picture, THE ARTIST, here.)

Were you happy with the results?

#5- “This Week’s Blu-ray release.” This week, look for the following films on Blu-ray to possibly add to your collection:

HUGO– Winner of FIVE Academy Awards, this film of adventure and discovery definitely impresses. The 3D is almost unparalleled in this film. Ben Kingsley, Sacha Baron Cohen, Emily Mortimer, Asa Butterfield, Chloë Grace Moretz, Ray Winstone, and more star in this delightful film. (Read my REVIEW)

Also releasing: Johnny English Reborn, Beneath the Darkness.

Well, that’s it for this round of “Movie News Monday!”

up next: “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

1. February 27, 2012 11:15 am

I ordered Hugo last night on Blu-ray. I had forgotten it was coming out so soon. While I don’t have a 3D TV my GF’s parents do so I splurged for the 3D version!

• February 28, 2012 8:03 am

i hope you enjoy it in 3D, Max. did you see it in 3D in the theaters?

2. February 27, 2012 1:37 pm

I’m not really interested in re-watching Hugo. I was mildly bored the first time in theater, it probably wouldn’t get better on the TV lol. Glad The Artist won as expected last night, it wasn’t a terrible Oscar telecast, much better than last year at least 😉

• February 28, 2012 8:04 am

I am also very glad that The Artist won. It was also nice to see Jean Dujardin accept his Best Actor award.

3. February 27, 2012 5:38 pm

Wow. Act of Valor’s take this weekend was incredible, considering the movie that it is.

• February 28, 2012 8:06 am

I wasn’t really expecting the other new releases to be so far towards the bottom, honestly.

4. February 28, 2012 1:38 am

HAHAHA Good on Adam Sandler, Jack and Jill is a TERRIBLE film!

🙂

• February 28, 2012 8:07 am

Sandler seems to be pretty good at being bad.

5. February 28, 2012 1:58 am

Hmm, Turbo isn’t really sold to me. Though I can imagine Ryan Reynolds doing a fantastic voice talent for it. Just doesn’t really sound like something that could, say, top How To Train Your Dragon.

• February 28, 2012 8:07 am

yes, I don’t expect Turbo to outperform How To Train Your Dragon. Man, what a great movie that is, huh?!

6. February 28, 2012 8:11 am

Oh I didn’t realize Hugo was out this week. Is it also out on 3D bluray? Because apparently the 3D is actually worth watching this time.

• February 28, 2012 9:47 am

it is released in 3D blu ray as well. and it was great to watch in that format in theaters. I hope it translates just as well at home!

• February 28, 2012 11:38 am

Hmm, I wonder if there’s somewhere I can rent the 3D version…
        I usually hate 3D, but eve Ebert liked the 3D for this one.

• February 29, 2012 8:41 am

I hope you can. and even more importantly…i hope you like it! the 3D that is, the movie is just “ok” in my opinion

7. February 28, 2012 9:58 am

Oh I didn’t know the Razzie nominations were on last night, ahah no doubt Sandler swept all the awards. I doubt this will keep him from making bad movies though, sadly.

I’m quite happy w/ the Oscars results generally, apart from Meryl’s win of course but ah well, I’m ready to put the award season behind me and move on. Bring on the blockbusters!!! I’m excited for The Avengers trailer that’ll be up within 48 hours I think, I’m sure you are too, T 😀

• February 29, 2012 8:39 am

Like you said. I can’t wait for The Avengers trailer. 90mins from now! woohoo.

Meryl’s win was okay, but, yes, I really wanted to see Viola take it!

8. February 28, 2012 2:11 pm

I enjoyed Hugo but I’m not in a particular rush to see it again.

I’ve seen the results but I haven’t watched any of the Oscars yet. Like Ruth said, I’m happy to move on from awards season and start seeing this year’s big blockbusters!

• February 29, 2012 8:41 am

ooh, any bold predictions right now for best picture noms for next year? 😀

9. February 29, 2012 8:47 am

The way Adam Sandler’s career is going I hope he wins all eleven Razzies…he thoroughly deserves them!

I still haven’t seen Hugo…this must be rectified!

• February 29, 2012 9:05 am

Ooh. See Hugo. To me it’s not the BEST film, but technically it is great, you will see why it won 5 Oscars and swept the technical field! I hope you can see it in 3D