It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 91

March 20, 2012

What is “Time to Vote Tuesday”?:

Last week’s poll, Double the Fun! has now closed with 39 votes. Click HERE to see which set of movie twins won your votes as being the best.

Did the twins of Harry Potter win over Luke Skywalker and Leia? Be sure to check out the results. Thank you to everyone that voted in last week’s polls and made it fun with your comments!

In this edition of ‘TVT’ this week’s poll, entitled “Revisting Oz”, takes a hypothetical look at a remake of one of the greatest cinematic classics of all time.

Remakes, remakes, remakes. Yes, there are tons of them and there seems to be an endless supply. One that has been rumored back and forth for several years has been a remake for The Wizard of Oz. And, while director Sam Raimi is working on its prequel (Oz: The Great and Powerful), it seems almost blasphemous for a remake of the classic to ever come to fruition.

BUT! What if…just what IF a remake were to be made. heeheehee.

For your fun and indulgent consideration, below you will find a few polls asking you to choose one of the choices in each for casting such an ambitious film! 🙂

Each option/group was chosen for a particular reason and I cannot wait for the results next week to see what type of Remake for the Wizard of Oz you all create! You now join the ranks of those in Hollywood whom you despise for creating such remakes of your beloveds! (Insert: “maniacal laugh”)

Today I ask you…

Place your votes. Leave a comment. What did you choose?

• A Ridley Scott film of epic proportions starring Ellen Page as Dorothy, with Gary Oldman as the Scarecrow and Sigourney Weaver as the Wicked Witch of the West?
  • or did you choose a creepy Guillermo del Toro film that is dark and looming, starring Zooey Deschanel as Dorothy, with Michael Fassbender as the Tin Man and Christopher Walken as the Wizard?
  • or do you fancy a visually colorful Tarsem Singh film starring Emma Stone as Dorothy with Jeff Bridges as the Cowardly Lion and Meryl Streep as the Wicked Witch of the West?

For sake of argument, we are just going to already give the role of Toto to Uggie from The Artist. 🙂

Ha! Some tough choices! Be bold, create a fun remake and tell me what you chose in the comment section!

Here are my choices:

The poll closes on 3-27-12 and the results will post on next week’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” (haha! this was soo fun to come up with for you all! Hope you enjoyed this week’s edition!)

***Don’t forget: For additional polls, updates, trailers, news, and more, become a fan/follower on Facebook and Twitter.

Today’s post dedicated to my friend “MoShawty” who celebrates her birthday this week and is the biggest Wizard of Oz fan I know (along with being the biggest proponent AGAINST any type of Wizard of Oz remake)! 😀

1. March 20, 2012 8:59 am

Definitely one of my Fav TVT Posts! This was fun. 🙂

• March 20, 2012 4:03 pm

😀 Thanks for coming by to enjoy it. I was excited to post it today!

2. Aidy permalink
    March 20, 2012 9:12 am

This was fun. I voted for Guillmero Del Toro to direct and I see that you are a Malkovich fan as well. Awesome. Now this is one remake I would like to see.

• March 20, 2012 4:03 pm

Glad you enjoyed! Thanks for voting. I think Malkovich would be a great Wizard. And, yes, I would like to see that remake as well. 🙂

3. March 20, 2012 10:19 am

I haven’t seen The Wizard of Oz… sigh… But shouldn’t the actress playing Dorothy be able to sing? I doubt any of the choices can.

• March 20, 2012 10:39 am

What??!! You haven’t seen The Wizard of Oz? Castor!!

btw, have you not watched Elf? and seen Zooey Deschanel sing? or her other videos on YouTube? Emma Stone in Easy A? and perhaps the others have hidden talent in singing. I mean, who knew Gwyneth Paltrow could sing before Duets and Country Strong?

Can’t believe you haven’t seen Wizard of Oz.

4. March 20, 2012 10:49 am

For me, Zooey Deschanel would have the quirkiness to make Dorothy a lot more interesting that someone like Kristen Stewart. I like the idea of Jack Nicholson as the Wizard…or maybe he should be the Wicked Witch!

• March 20, 2012 4:02 pm

Hooray! Zooey all the way for me too.

ha, can you imagine good ol’ Jack as the Wicked Witch. Hilarious!!

5. March 20, 2012 11:10 am

Interesting casting choices, T. I like the idea of Oldman/Giamatti/JGL, and it would be fun to see what del Toro would do with this opportunity.

• March 20, 2012 4:01 pm

del Toro would make it an epic film indeed. Thanks for voting today man!

6. jackdeth72 permalink
    March 20, 2012 11:35 am

Wow, grasshopper!

You’ve obviously put a lot of thought into the concept, casting and execution possibilities.

Had to do some serious thinking on this one. Definitely like the Oldman, Giamatti and Gordon-Levitt Trifecta!

Toss up between Page and Deschanel. Going with Ellen.

Think that Walken and Mirren would be a nice mix of Prim & Properly Evil vs. Flat Out Nuts! All under the deft touch of Guilliermo del Toro.

An excellent Tuesday repast!

• March 20, 2012 4:01 pm

😀

JackDeth! Thanks for the comment and compliment! Yes, this one did take some thinking and contemplating and I am glad you took the time to do so yourself!

Most importantly, I am very glad to know this Tuesday’s post entertained and pleased!

You picked a great cast! Thanks for playing

• March 20, 2012 8:34 pm

Ahah Jack, you’re so predictable, I knew you’d go w/ Mirren somehow. But high five, I chose Walken & Mirren too, what a combo!

7. March 20, 2012 11:39 am

Del Toro directs Page, Carrey etc, Malkovich and Streep. That was fun! Who’s gonna produce this?

• March 20, 2012 3:30 pm

ha! Love your choices. A great question…who do you think SHOULD produce it? who you feelin is up for it?

8. shortymagordy permalink
    March 20, 2012 7:52 pm

First, I have to say that this is my favorite TTYT! With that said, here’s my votes and reasons:

Dorothy: Ellen Page. This was a toss-up between her and Zooey. While Zooey can sing, I think Ellen has the innocence required to play Dorothy. Zooey may be able to look innocent, but it comes with a sort of sensuality that Dorothy is not meant to have. Ellen has the face of an innocent child, which is exactly who Dorothy really is.

Scarecrow/Tinman/Lion: Gary Oldman, Paul Giamatti, Joseph Gordon-Levitt. I think this team has what it takes to be funny/serious/sympathetic etc. when the time calls for it. They are a very dynamic group, able to be totally different yet still on the same page. Plus I have a genuine soft spot for JGL 😉

Wizard/Witch: John Malkovich/Meryl Streep. These are amazing people. They both know how to be dangerous without looking like lunatics. I believe John CAN look like a lunatic, or at least slightly unhinged, when Dorothy finally confronts him face to face. Meryl would do an incredible job looking dangerous, but still keep it classy.

Director: Tim Burton. I know this might seem odd, knowing Wizard of Oz is my favorite movie, but I’d rather have a dark, eerie feel to the movie than trying to recreate it completely. There is no “remaking” this movie. There is only “reinventing” it. I think Tim would create such a strange and wonderful new world, but still hold true to the story.

There you have it! Sorry for the long comment, but you DID tap into my all time favorite 😉

• March 21, 2012 10:09 am

😀

So glad that you loved this one so much! Happy early Birthday!

You make some solid choices and back them up. Though, I am all for Team Zooey. 🙂

Glad to see Malkovich/Streep get another vote.

I will say though, you did surprise me with your choice of Burton.

9. March 20, 2012 8:33 pm

Ahah, Toto as Uggie gets my vote 🙂

Fun poll T, I chose Emma Stone, Scorsese, the trio w/ Bruce Campbell and Christopher Walken & Helen Mirren pairing. Would you believe it I’ve never seen the Wizard of Oz? 🙂 No joke, for some reason it just eluded me, ahah

• jackdeth72 permalink
      March 20, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi, Ruth!

‘The Wizard of Oz’ is kind of cool because the first part of the film (Kansas and introducing normal characters) is in washed out B&W. Once things move to Oz, everything is in lush Color.

Do not not be surprised if the Witch’s Flying Monkeys give you nightmares later on. You’ve been warned. Happens to everyone.

Good catch on Bruce Campbell.

• March 21, 2012 10:07 am

Flying Monkey Nightmares! lol. sounds like a sequel to Snakes on a Plane! hahah

• March 21, 2012 10:07 am

You should watch Wizard of Oz. It’s a classic masterpiece! Can’t believe both you AND Castor haven’t seen it before. hahaha

10. March 21, 2012 3:33 am

HAHA Great vote this week T.

I went with Zooey, the section with Bruce Campbell… as he is AWESOME.

And Helen Mirren one at the end… as she is super hot for an old bird!! HAHAHA

• March 21, 2012 10:06 am

ha! Helen Mirren is super hot for her age! lol

Thanks for voting today. Glad it was fun. I thoroughly am enjoying everyone’s comments and seeing who they choose.

11. March 21, 2012 10:16 am

Most definitely NOT stewart!!

• March 21, 2012 9:24 pm

amen! 😀

12. March 22, 2012 8:13 pm

Can’t. Do it.

Can’t. Even. Pretend.

Must. Leave. Post….

• March 23, 2012 6:31 pm

Lol. That’s too funny man!

13. March 23, 2012 9:55 am

Ahhh! Wonderful post 😀 Just loved it!

I voted Zooey for Dorothy. Well, she’s kinda been Dorothy before in that god awful SyFy short. But she’s got the looks and quirky and sorts. But if considered “too old” (BAH!) then, i’d have to go for Emma Stone. She’s got the chops.

Love the idea of the likes of Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman in an Oz film.

Guillermo del Toro just seems a perfect fit for a project like this. Making Oz a different but unique place again.

• March 23, 2012 6:35 pm

All great choices. Glad you were bold enough to attempt a casting! Thanks for voting today!

14. Sherry permalink
    March 26, 2012 10:41 pm

I’d leave a comment.. if I only had a brain….. brain… brains… zombie wizard of oz…. brains… ummmm yeah… Ok.. maybe not.

• March 27, 2012 9:27 am

🙂 haha Sherry! Thanks for voting and commenting!

1. It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 127 « The Focused Filmographer