Movie News Monday for March 26, 2012

March 26, 2012

Welcome to this week’s edition of “Movie News Monday!” (“MNM!”)!! What is ‘MNM’all about?

In case this is your first time here, “Movie News Monday!” (MNM) is the place to visit every Monday for a quick recap of trending entertainment news! I’ve collected info, rumors, etc from all over just for you to keep you updated on movies being released, actors/actresses in roles, dvd releases to keep a lookout for, which movie won in the box office over the weekend, etc! Are you ready for your weekly update? Here it is!

This Just In!!… #1- “The Weekend Winner.”  This past weekend, in case there was ever any doubt about who would win the #1 spot in the box office allow me to clear things up for you. As expected, Journey 2: The Mysterious Island dominated over the weekend! Wait…something doesn’t sound right about that. Oh, that’s right, Journey 2 did dominate…the BOTTOM of the Top Ten that is! 😀

Of course, The Hunger Games won the box office as the major film out of 2 wide new releases to enter the box office arena. Winning the spot as the 3rd highest opening weekend of all-time (without the use of 3D inflation might I add), The Hunger Games earned a tremendous estimated $155 million! Whoa! Trailing behind Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows pt 2 ($169M) and The Dark Knight ($158M).

For not being a sequel like the other two…that’s highly impressive!

Here are the weekend’s estimated results for Fri, March 23-Sun, March 25:

1. The Hunger Games ~$155M
  2. 21 Jump Street ~$21.3M
  3. Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax ~$13.1M
  4. John Carter ~$5M
  5. Act of Valor ~$2.06M
  6. Project X ~$1.95M
  7. A Thousand Words ~$1.92M
  8. October Baby ~$1.7M
  9. Safe House ~$1.4M
  10. Journey 2: The Mysterious Island ~$1.37M

Congrats to The Hunger Games on the massive win over the weekend!

Did you watch The Hunger Games this past weekend? What were your thoughts? See mine in my review HERE.

#2-Iron Man 3 to have some more red, gold,…and Scarlett.” After Iron Man 2 (a disappointment to most), fans were curious as to any plot plans and additional character changes to an expected 3rd installment. The Avengers has pretty much taken that spotlight of attention away, but some recent news regarding the upcoming Iron Man 3 has surfaced.

1. If you didn’t know, Jon Favreau (who directed and starred in the first 2) will not be directing Iron Man 3. While he has expressed interest in reprising his role as Happy (Stark’s assistant and driver), he will not be at the helm of directing. He has, however, extended an offer to assist director Shane Black.

-Read Black’s comments about the direction he and Marvel will be taking Iron Man 3“The studio wasn’t happy with the result of Iron Man 2,” he said. “That pretty much came about due to a rushed production schedule in an attempt to hit a release date rather than simply make a good film, but I digress. Iron Man 3 will not be another, ‘two men in iron suits fighting each other.’” (-TotalFilm)

2. Don Cheadle will be returning as Colonel Rhodes (at least there will not be a THIRD replacement of the character here).

3. Gwyneth Paltrow will be returning as the ever-gorgeous brains of the entire outfit: Pepper Potts!

4. Scarlett Johansson will be reprising her role as Black Widow/Agent Natasha Romanoff

5. Writer/director Shane Black likens the storyline to that of being “a Tom Clancy-thriller, with Iron Man fighting real world villains.”

All expected casting news but great to hear it confirmed. Iron Man 3 is set to release in theaters on May 3, 2013 and is expected to start filming in a couple of months.

Are you ready for Iron Man 3, or do you want to see how The Avengers does first?! Any guesses on the plot or villain(s)?

#3- “Set Photos: Say Cheese!” Here’s a quick look at a few set photos from some upcoming theatrical releases. To learn about any of the movies, click on their respective title to visit the info page for it on imdb.com.

Below you will see photos from G.I. Joe 2: Retaliation featuring Bruce Willis, Joseph Gordon-Levitt (with what appears to be some chin/forehead prosthetics) in Looper, Chris Evans looking “cool” as Captain America in The Avengers, some rather retro aliens from Men in Black 3, a new high-res pic from Prometheus, and a look at Woody Allen’s new film entitled To Rome With Love. (You can click any photo to enlarge it)

Some great photos this past week giving us a sneak peek at what greatness is yet to come. 2012 is a great year for movies. Yes?!

Which photos are most interesting to you? You excited for any of these movies to release?

#4- “Freeing up some info on Django Unchained!” Director Quentin Tarantino’s latest project, Django Unchained, is currently filming. This anticipated film stars numerous well-known actors and covers several subjects of controversy.

Here is the synopsis for Tarantino’s upcoming feature:

“Django is a freed slave, who, under the tutelage of a German bounty hunter (played by Christoph Waltz) becomes a bad-a$# bounty hunter himself, and after assisting Waltz in taking down some bad guys for profit, is helped by Waltz in tracking down his slave wife and liberating her from an evil plantation owner [played by DiCaprio].”

Starring Jamie Foxx (Django), Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Kurt Russell, Sacha Baron Cohen, Samuel L. Jackson, Christoph Waltz, Don Johnson, Rza, and several more, Django Unchained is sure to satisfy the movie “wants” of western, action, Tarantino-style film lovers! Take a glance at the latest update from executive producer Michael Shamberg:

I’ve seen some stuff and it’s amazing. We’re still shooting and my partner Stacey [Sher] is producing with Pilar Savone who worked for Quentin and Reggie Hudlin. I’m exec-producing and we’re like, maybe, half-way through. You have no idea. It’s the most amazing film cause, as you know, it’s a spaghetti western about slavery and Quentin’s vocabulary is such that it’s just pure entertainment, Leonardo’s the bad guy, it’s gonna be awesome. (Slashfilm)

Django Unchained is set for a 2012 Christmas Day release date.

What are your thoughts on the recent developments of this upcoming Tarantino film?

#5- “This Week’s Blu-ray release.” This week, look for the following films on Blu-ray to possibly add to your collection:

Casablanca (70th Anniversary)– While several new releases come to blu-ray this week, I am most excited about a classic coming to blu-ray, Casablanca. A staple in Humphrey Bogart’s career, this film has probably more recognizable quotes than a porcupine has quills! ha. Be sure to pick up this one. I guarantee you, your watching it will be the beginning of a beautiful friendship between yourself and your BD player! 🙂

Several other films also release this week. Check it out!

Also releasing: Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, A Dangerous Method, Alvin & the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked, and In the Land of Blood and Honey.

Well, that’s it for this round of “Movie News Monday!”

up next: “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

1. March 26, 2012 9:09 am

Looper has me all sorts of excited but I do believe it’s a crime against JGL’s face to put prosthetics on it to make him look like a younger Bruce Willis.

• March 27, 2012 9:16 am

Jaina! haha I know several other people who agree with you on that “crime!” 😀

2. March 26, 2012 10:44 am

Shane Black doing Iron Man 3 is about the most exciting thing to ever happen to comic book movies. One of the best superheroes with one of the best screenwriters. Forget Avengers, bring on Iron Man 3!

• March 27, 2012 9:17 am

I can agree with everything you said, Pete, except for 2 words: “Forget Avengers”

-blasphemous! You must repent now! haha

3. March 26, 2012 2:46 pm

Good to hear The Hunger Games is doing so well, and getting such good reviews… I haven’t been able to catch it yet (might be a week or two at the current rate), but it’s one I’ve been intrigued by for a while.

Iron Man 3 being something other than “Iron Man vs. another guy in an Iron Man suit” is probably a good thing. I thought that rehashing that theme was one of the weaknesses of the second film (which I liked on the whole). I’m definitely more in Avengers mode right now, though.

• March 27, 2012 9:22 am

Now, here is a comment that I can agree with 100%! haha (see Pete’s comment and my response!) 😉

4. March 26, 2012 6:53 pm

I already have a single disc version of Casablanca on blu which will work quite well. As neat as those WB box sets are, its the movie that I buy the package for.

• March 27, 2012 9:23 am

I know what you’re saying, but man that collection set is pretty sweet! I am impressed that you do already own the film on Blu-ray though. But I’d expect nothing less from you, knowing all the classics that you have watched! We’d get along pretty well watching movies together.

5. March 26, 2012 9:16 pm

Great selection of news here T. I see you couldn’t resist putting a picture of your beloved movie wife 🙂

Yay, The Hunger Games FTW! I’m not surprised by the killer box office take, I mean it was quite a frenzy even before the film opened. Thankfully the film was a good quality, unlike y’know that silly vampire franchise!

Having just seen Casablanca, now I see why that movie is a classic. “…this film has probably more recognizable quotes than a porcupine has quills!” Absolutely true!

• March 27, 2012 9:25 am

ha! I knew that you would catch the inclusion of my beloved on here! 🙂 I knew it!! I was actually waiting for your comment all day. Made me smile!

Oh yes! I saw that you watched Casablanca. Are you going to review it too? I was looking to see if you had actually reviewed it, to link to this post. I shoulda just asked you. I am so glad you got to see it!

6. March 26, 2012 11:21 pm

I’m picking up the new 70th anniversary Casablanca gift set (having given my old BD of the film to a friend to make room ;-)). And I can’t wait for QT’s Django Unchained film. Fine post, T.

• March 27, 2012 9:28 am

Yes! I’m glad your scooping it up! ah, and you’re the first to comment about Django Unchained. I’m not completely ready for it yet, but we’ll see.

Thanks for checking out the news today!

• March 27, 2012 10:44 am

It’ll very interesting to see the effect of Sally Menke’s loss (as his longtime film editor) on QT’s work. It’s another reason I’m very curious ‘Django Unchained’. Thanks.

7. March 27, 2012 4:06 am

Brilliant move news post Mr F

I am not interested in an Iron Man 3 at this point. I am waiting to see if I am going to be disappointed with The Avengers first….

• March 27, 2012 9:28 am

Thank you Scott!

on The Avengers…prepare to be amazed!

8. March 27, 2012 12:52 pm

I can’t wait for Django Unchained, especially considering that Tarantino has assembled quite the cast.

I’m a little surprised that the studio decided to part with Jon Favreau and give the third installment of Iron Man to Shane Black, a largely untested director whose only job was at the helm of “Kiss Kiss Bang Bang”. I also find his words about Iron Man 2 a bit harsh, especially considering that directors tend to avoid criticizing other directors. I doubt that Favreau will be a part of it in any way.

Of the big blockbusters, the one I’m looking forward to the least is probably “The Avengers”. This is probably because I am tired of superhero movies, I’ve really had it.

– Niels

9. March 28, 2012 4:22 am

I like what I read there about Iron Man 3… that sounds good, to me.

I do wonder if audiences will have some burnout eventually with all of these Marvel Superhero flicks.

• March 30, 2012 9:37 am

you know, that’s a good question about superhero burnout. It’s possible I guess, but I think it really matters just how well they do the movies.

I am looking forward to what they do in Iron Man3