It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 92

March 27, 2012

What is “Time to Vote Tuesday”?:

Last week’s poll, Revisting Oz has now closed with an average of 39 votes per category. The votes are in and the Wizard of Oz remake’s results are as follows:

• Director: Guillermo del Toro
  • Dorothy: Zooey Deschanel (with Uggie as Toto)
  • Scarecrow, Cowardly Lion, & Tin Man: Johnny Depp, John Goodman, & Will Ferrell
  • The Wizard & Wicked Witch of the West: Christopher Walken and Helen Mirren

Ha! Very fun poll! I wish to thank you everyone that voted in last week’s polls, shared it with others, and made it fun with your comments!

In this edition of ‘TVT’ this week’s poll, entitled “Watcher Beware”, requires more than just a vote from you. This week I ask you to place a vote, or 2, or 3, and leave a comment explaining your vote.

Do you have that one director, or one actor, or one genre that you always have to watch regardless of how bad the film looks? For some people that would be Nicolas Cage, John Travolta, director Christopher Nolan, or Superhero genre films.

Well, I want to know, Do you have a director, actor, or genre (or all 3) that you refuse to watch? Period.

Do you avoid director Michael Bay’s films? or Lars von Trier’s films? How about actors Kristen Stewart or Hayden Christensen? How about the genres of horror or musical or spoof, etc?

For your consideration, Today I ask you to vote for 1, 2, or 3 of the options below that you avoid. And then, leave a comment about your choice(s) and join in the conversation.

Here we go. Tell me:

Don’t forget to leave a comment telling me your choice(s) and your reasons for what/who you avoid.

Do you avoid Keira Knightley for her staple wide-eyed and open-mouthed stare? Do you avoid Adam Sandler movies because of their increasing degradation? Do you not care and watch it all, regardless?

Let us know! I will start if off with the first votes and comment. (A rarity, because I usually never vote and let the results of the polls be strictly what you choose!)

The poll closes on 4-3-12 and the results will post on next week’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

***Don’t forget: For additional polls, updates, trailers, news, and more, become a fan/follower on Facebook and Twitter.

1. March 27, 2012 9:03 am

I avoid Tyler Perry’s movies: They all end up being very similar now and spark up the same emotions. I liked him better in Star Trek than I do in his movies…and that’s not saying much.

I avoid movies of the genre of demon possession. I don’t mind a good scare every now and then, but demon possession stuff…I leave it alone.

I avoid Brendan Fraser actually. I liked the first 2 Mummy movies and Crash, but other than that…I’ll pass.

…and you all already know my “love” for Kristen Stewart. (SARCASM!!)

2. March 27, 2012 9:06 am

I don’t think there’s anything I’d refuse to watch entirely but not a fan of gangster movies or extreme slasher movies so usually avoid. Don’t think there’s any actor or director I would shun completely.

• March 27, 2012 9:08 am

Ooh. extreme slasher movies, I usually avoid those too. good call.

Gangster movies are not your thing, huh? So, no Scarface or Goodfellas or Untouchables? Classic gangster movies? or more along the lines of more recent ones such as American Gangster?

Thanks for commenting today!

3. March 27, 2012 9:06 am

I’m also not a big fan of director Lars von Trier, actor Danny McBride, and the “spoof” genre (like Scary Movie, etc).

4. March 27, 2012 9:24 am

Not a fan at all of slasher movies, except for maybe the Scream Franchise. Also not a fan of movies like Paranormal Activity, or comedy spoof movies…you won’t catch me spending a dime on these types of movies.

I usually won’t go see anything with the following actors/actresses: Katie Holmes, Tracey Morgan, Nicolas Cage (although I toture myself sometimes), Taylor Lautner (except for Twilight films), Anna Faris

• March 27, 2012 9:31 am

ooh, yes! I have a dislike of Katie Holmes too. She was the one mis-casting of the usually flawless Christopher Nolan in Batman Begins. I was SO glad when he replaced her with Maggie G in The Dark Knight. Although it woulda been okay to see Holmes as the version of Rachel Dawes that gets blown up. (umm, was that too harsh?) ha.

• March 27, 2012 9:51 am

LMAO @ Katie Holmes getting blown up. I didn’t find it harsh at all. You should have read my review of her in Dont Be Afraid of the Dark http://tajgreenemoviesinreview.blogspot.com/2011/08/movies-in-review-dont-be-afraid-of-dark.html . Read it whenever u get a chance, we have the same comments about her being tortured…lol

5. March 27, 2012 10:11 am

A thought-provoking poll today, T, very nice! Hmmm, generally I’d give any director a chance unless I saw something that REALLY put me off, but that rarely happens. I did vote for actor as I saw a photo of Tyler Perry on there and having seen a movie of his (I think it’s the Madea one) at the gym, I knew I just don’t think I’ll like anything he’s got to offer. It’s mind-boggling that he’s so successful!! As for Channing, well I’m no Chan-fan but I’m willing to see Haywire as he has a small part, but I have yet to muster up any interest in seeing anything with him in the lead.

Ahah, funny what you said about Keira… ‘her staple wide-eyed and open-mouthed stare’ So true!! Though when put to good use, such as in the Pride & Prejudice rain scene, she was quite bewitching.

• March 27, 2012 11:25 am

yeah. Tyler Perry is not a favorite of mine too.

I liked 2 of his Madea films, but as more came out I became disinterested. They were all a lot of the same and I tended not to appreciate them as much. Regardless of how “touching and true” their messages were.

ha. you’re right on with Keira in that her “look” can be put to good use. P&P is an excellent call out. But the majority of the time it just serves as a great comic relief for me. Esp in POTC! 😀

6. March 27, 2012 10:59 am

The only actor i would avoid(so far) is Nick Cannon. he was terrible in Bobby, and unlike Stewart in say twilight i can’t blame it on the role being bad. He just frankly wasn’t believable to me. Thankfully he hasn’t starred in anything that interested me since so i haven’t had any conflicts in that regard 🙂

And as for genres, i generally avoid hollywood rom-coms but if i hear enough praise for one i’ll watch it(Definitely Maybe is an example of this). Also religious films i generally avoid.

But overall i’ll give almost anything a chance.

• March 27, 2012 11:27 am

Thanks for voting today! You know, I seem to recall you stating such about Cannon. ha. Not a fan of his at all, are ya?!

7. March 27, 2012 1:24 pm

I’ve just gone with genres. There’s pretty much no rom-coms or musicals I want to see except very rare exceptions e.g. South Park, 500 Days of Summer. I have no idea why I keep seeing the odd Nicholas Cage film as I pretty much hate the guy’s acting. I should really stop watching his films. Interesting poll. Great results for the last one! Del Toro needs to step up!

• March 27, 2012 3:13 pm

Pete, you’re right. there are very few rom-coms that I want to see too. And musicals…well it has to be a special one. I love music and movies, but some musicals have a tendency to go overboard.

on the flip side, some movies have a tendency to go overboard with the music. i.e. The Lorax, which wasn’t marketed or described as a musical, but I found the songs to be much more distracting than the implementation of the songs in Moulin Rouge!

Oh, and I sent the idea to del Toro. he likes it, he said that you are to be his production assistant because he needs someone with like passion to help him! 😀

8. ineedanewkilnfrank permalink
    March 27, 2012 2:17 pm

I don’t watch Tim Burton movies. Well, I like one or two of his older films but I pretty much to watch anything other than that.

really interesting poll!

• March 27, 2012 3:14 pm

Thanks for voting today. I agree on the Tim Burton. I don’t really watch any of his stuff anymore either!

9. March 27, 2012 3:30 pm

I’ve always stuck by the philosphy that I will watch anything, regardless of director, actor or genre. You just never know. I’ve watched a few films with a preconcieved (usually negative) idea of what I think it will actually be like and then found that I have loved it afterall!

• March 27, 2012 7:43 pm

Ben, it’s always a good thing to watch without preconceived ideas, but when an actor/director/genre consistently shows you their normal pattern, you can’t help but have a usual expectation.

For example: Nicolas Cage…you already know what type of movie/role comes to mind, BAD. Stephen Spielberg…again, you know it’s going to be good (or at least quite sentimental). ha. It’s the actors and directors that teach us to have preconceived ideas. Let’s blame them, shall we? haha

It does make for great surprises when they occur though. That’s for sure. I was so pleasantly surprised with Midnight in Paris for example. Didn’t expect to love a Woody Allen film so much!

Thanks for commenting and voting today.

10. March 27, 2012 7:21 pm

You know, there are certainly actors, directors and genres that I dislike. For example, I am really sick of Jeremy Renner, I have yet to see Michael Bay make a good movie, and romantic comedies drive me up the wall. However, I will not limit myself to the chance that these actors or directors could be involved with a great film, or that great films could come from any genre, even romantic comedies (see Once,for example). That’s like not watching a movie because its in black and white. All you’re doing is running the risk of missing out on a possible great film.

• March 27, 2012 7:39 pm

an excellent argument Ian. There are several films I have friends of mine watch because I want them to take a chance and learn to love something new.

So, if the question was phrased differently…perhaps not “refusing to watch” but possibly “Preferring to not watch” that might be better then.

Case in point: As much as I despise Channing Tatum, I actually liked him in 21 Jump Street. (but I’m still pretty much done with Tyler Perry’s movies)

• March 27, 2012 7:46 pm

Well, in that case, I do think Adam Sandler is on a one-man mission to single-handedly decrease the quality of the entire film industry. For actors, I already mentioned Renner. For directors, I usually dislike Burton’s films.

11. March 28, 2012 12:09 am

As a general rule I don’t watch horror movies. It has to be a really great concept and I have to have some faith in writer/director/actor/whoever that there will be a legit story involved. There are directors whose films I won’t watch, like Uwe Bol but then there are HORRIBLE directors who I still buy into occasionally, such as Bay. The big one for me, though, and therefore the slot that got my vote, goes to John Travolta. I hate John Travolta with the fire of a thousand suns and there are very, VERY few films included in his illustrious collection of crap that didn’t make me cringe. It would have to be a seriously appealing film on every other level for me to see a Travolta movie again.

• March 30, 2012 9:34 am

John Travolta, huh? yeah, he seems to have lost appeal to a lot of people. ha. Thanks for voting and commenting!

12. March 28, 2012 1:56 am

KNIGHTLEY!!! Do I need to say anymore?

I do watch film with her in but I generally try and avoid her like the CLAP

• March 30, 2012 9:35 am

hahahahahahaha. Poor Keira!

13. jackdeth72 permalink
    March 28, 2012 7:45 am

Hi, Terrence and company:

Saw ‘Bowling for Columbine’ years ago. Won’t see another Michael Moore lame, sloppily executed attempt at cinematic propaganda. Stay far away from Eli Roth and his gross out, splatter flicks.

I avoid Ben Stiller, Adam Sandler, Tyler Perry, Eddie Murphy and George Clooney like the plague.

Today’s Romantic Comedies are neither. The last one I truly enjoyed was ‘Kate & Leopold’.

• March 28, 2012 11:26 pm

Michael Moore, Eli Roth, Ben Stiller, Adam Sandler, Tyler Perry, Eddie Murphy, and George Clooney. One of these things is not like the other, haha. I was with you up to Clooney. Might be the first person I’ve ever heard say that. To each his own, I guess!

• March 30, 2012 9:44 am

🙂

• March 30, 2012 9:38 am

i don’t bother to watch any Michael Moore or Eli Roth either.

14. March 28, 2012 8:02 am

I’m not a fan of Tim Burton’s films, they never appeal to me in the slightest.

• March 30, 2012 9:38 am

Tim Burton is getting a lot of comments here. Interestingly enough.

15. Castor permalink
    March 28, 2012 10:45 am

Jack Black… I despise him and his brand of comedy. So obnoxious!!!!!!!!

• March 30, 2012 9:39 am

So, I’m guessing that you are really looking forward to BERNIE!

16. March 28, 2012 1:41 pm

I think I’ll watch anything. Currently. I am having a growing dislike to Ben Stiller and Adam Sandler and Jack Black. I’ll never go completely out of my way to not watch anything with them in it, but I won’t make a point to try and see their work.

• March 30, 2012 9:44 am

you and Castor both avoid Jack Black, huh?

Adam Sandler is an on again-off again guy for me. I like a couple of his movies, but lately…not so much.

17. March 29, 2012 6:31 am

I won’t actively seek out horror movies as I really don’t like them and I also try to stay clear from anything starring Megan Fox or Sam Worthington, who I both think are not talented.

• March 30, 2012 9:47 am

haha Megan Fox and Sam Worthington. good staple choices there Nostra!