Movie News Monday for April 9, 2012

April 9, 2012

Welcome to this week’s edition of “Movie News Monday!” (“MNM!”)!! What is ‘MNM’all about?

In case this is your first time here, “Movie News Monday!” (MNM) is the place to visit every Monday for a quick recap of trending entertainment news! I’ve collected info, rumors, etc from all over just for you to keep you updated on movies being released, actors/actresses in roles, dvd releases to keep a lookout for, which movie won in the box office over the weekend, etc! Are you ready for your weekly update? Here it is!

This Just In!!… #1- “The Weekend Winner.”  Third time’s the charm! This past weekend, the #1 spot in the box office went to The Hunger Games for the 3rd weekend in a row! Beating out 2 more “new” releases, Titanic 3D being one of them, The Hunger Games won the weekend and passed the $300M cumulative earnings milestone along with it.

Here are the weekend’s estimated results for Fri, April 6-Sun, April 8:

1. The Hunger Games ~$35.5M
  2. American Reunion ~$21.5M
  3. Titanic 3D ~$17.35M
  4. Wrath of the Titans ~$15M
  5. Mirror Mirror ~$11M
  6. 21 Jump Street ~$10.2M
  7. Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax ~$5M
  8. Salmon Fishing in the Yemen ~$975,000
  9. John Carter ~$820,000
  10. Safe House ~$581,000

Congrats to The Hunger Games!

#2- “Bond gets THREE girls!” 007: Skyfall starring Daniel Craig is set to release this upcoming November and promises to be a blast! With an already impressive cast (Daniel Craig, Javier Bardem, Ralph Fiennes, Judi Dench, and more), It seems that they are not done adding to the cast. Just last week, a THIRD Bond girl was added to the mix!

Not only will Bérénice Marlohe and Naomie Harris be joining the ranks as two gorgeous Bond girls, but apparently so will, Greek actress Tonia Sotiropoulou!

With Skyfall releasing on November 9, I can’t wait to see what they do with this next chapter in the story of James Bond! Check out this recent featurette from Entertainment Tonight from the set of the film!

What are your thoughts on this recent casting news?

#3- “Mutants and Tributes play nice! ” If you didn’t like the X-Men before, and you’re a fan of The Hunger Games, you will like the X-Men now! What do I mean by that? Well, fans across the globe are anxiously awaiting the sequel to The Hunger Games, however, Jennifer Lawrence is contractually obligated to film as Mystique in the sequel to last year’s X-Men film which means that a Catching Fire movie would possibly be delayed until AFTER film the X-Men movie…whenever that would be.

This past week, FOX announced that they would begin filming this upcoming January which will enable Jennifer Lawrence to then be freed up to film Catching Fire in time for its completion by the already proclaimed release date. So, there’s two bits of good news here: Two sequels are coming that we all are looking forward to.

Now…if only Catching Fire could land a director as Gary Ross (director of The Hunger Games) will not be returning for the next part of the saga.

Are you ready for these sequels already?

#4- “Poster & trailer for Savages!” After “Triple-T” launched last Thursday, a new trailer for Oliver Stone’s Savages hit the web. Below you will find the synopsis w/cast, poster, and trailer for this upcoming action thriller.

Collider: Three-time Oscar®-winning filmmaker Oliver Stone returns to the screen with the ferocious thriller Savages, featuring the all-star ensemble cast of Taylor Kitsch, Blake Lively, Aaron Johnson, John Travolta, Uma Thurman, Benicio Del Toro, Salma Hayek, Emile Hirsch and Demian Bichir.  The film is based on Don Winslow’s best-selling crime novel that was named one of The New York Times’ Top 10 Books of 2010.

Laguna Beach entrepreneurs Ben (Johnson), a peaceful and charitable Buddhist, and his closest friend Chon (Kitsch), a former Navy SEAL and ex-mercenary, run a lucrative, homegrown industry—raising some of the best marijuana ever developed.  They also share a one-of-a-kind love with the extraordinary beauty Ophelia (Lively).  Life is idyllic in their Southern California town…until the Mexican Baja Cartel decides to move in and demands that the trio partners with them.

When the merciless head of the BC, Elena (Hayek), and her brutal enforcer, Lado (Del Toro), underestimate the unbreakable bond among these three friends, Ben and Chon—with the reluctant, slippery assistance of a dirty DEA agent (Travolta)—wage a seemingly unwinnable war against the cartel.  And so begins a series of increasingly vicious ploys and maneuvers in a high stakes, savage battle of wills.

Savages hits theaters July 6, 2012.

What are your thoughts? Interested in the film?

#5- “This Week’s Blu-ray release.” This week, look for the following films on Blu-ray to possibly add to your collection:

The Iron Lady– See Meryl Streep’s award-winning performance as Margaret Thatcher in this biopic that delighted thousands.

Several other films also release this week. Check it out!

Also releasing: The Darkest Hour (REVIEW), A Streetcar Named Desire

Well, that’s it for this round of “Movie News Monday!”

up next: “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

1. April 9, 2012 8:50 am

That James Bond…. he gets all the girls!

• April 10, 2012 12:01 pm

yeah…I taught him all he knows! ha

2. April 9, 2012 9:35 am

… yeah, don’t get it. Of course am seriously looking forward to the XMen Prequel-Sequel 🙂

Thanks for the heads up about Streetcar Named Desire 🙂

• April 10, 2012 12:02 pm

Thank you for stopping in on Movie News Monday! I can’t wait to see what they have in store for us with the X-Men prequel/sequel myself!

3. April 9, 2012 10:22 am

Great round up! That new Bond girl’s a stunner surprise surprise! Skyfall’s looking really promising… great to see Naomie in weapons training!

Glad to see Lawrence will be able to appear in both sequels and really looking forward to seeing who they get to replace Ross as director.

I think Stone’s Savages looks really good so far too. Totally wasn’t on my radar till about a week ago!

• April 10, 2012 12:04 pm

Man, Skyfall is going to be a great film. Especially after Quantum of Solace’s disappointment.

You and I both are glad to see Lawrence’s uninhibited involvement in both sequels.

as far as Ross is concerned, he now is still apparently in talks to direct.

Ditto on Savages. I knew nothing of it til last week either.

4. April 9, 2012 10:50 am

I heard Gary Ross leaving Hunger Games may only be a rumor. Still, not a big deal. Perhaps another director could improve on the visual aspects of the film.

Iron Lady, hey?… yeah, weak week for blu-ray releases.

• April 10, 2012 12:05 pm

yes…a weak week indeed.

Ross may still be the director as he may still be in talks. hmm, I like your thoughts on another director though.

5. April 9, 2012 10:54 am

Glad to know Lawrence will be returning in first class. And me and my dad may be taking 2 of my younger nieces to the Hunger Games this tuesday.

And Savages looks like it might be good

• April 10, 2012 12:06 pm

I hope you enjoy The Hunger Games today, Julian! Can’t wait to see your thoughts.

• April 10, 2012 8:36 pm

Well my dad wasn’t able to go with me but my mom gave me money to take my nieces to see it(My local theater has a discount on tuesdays). As for the film, i was overall satsified with it. I did have a problem with some of the editing/shaky cam during the later scenes, and i do feel like there was territory it didn’t go in because of it being for teens, but i certainly found it worth watching. Also the actor who played malacka(the other blond besides peeta) managed to bring a sense of both vulnerability and psychosis in the end that unexpedtecly hit me

• April 11, 2012 10:40 pm

I am glad you got to enjoy it man. and good call out on the other character.

6. April 9, 2012 10:55 am

Lucky Daniel Craig! Hot woman everywhere he looks! I hope Savages is a return to form for Oliver Stone, Wall Street 2 was so dull it was painful.

• April 10, 2012 12:07 pm

I was thinking the same thing about Oliver Stone.

7. April 9, 2012 2:42 pm

Oooohhhh can’t wait for the new James Bond flick! Love Daniel Craig as bond, I just hope this one will be as great as his first and not as dull as the second…lol.

Saw the trailer for Savages this weekend for the 1st time. The poster didn’t really capture my interest, but the trailer has me excited for it’s release…ok maybe “excited” is a bit much…Im looking forward to seeing it.

Did u see American Reunion?

• April 10, 2012 12:10 pm

it won’t be as dull as the second. Quantum was an unfortunate victim of the writer’s strike. Skyfall will be great!

Man, I saw Savages trailer for the first time last week and I am unsure as to how it remained off of my radar for so long.

8. April 10, 2012 1:59 am

Nice ot see THG still kicking it and living up to the hype!!

I hope you had a nice Easter matey…

• April 10, 2012 12:10 pm

man. The Hunger Games is doing so well isn’t it?! ha. That’s great!

I did have a rather wonderful and relaxing Easter and stayed offline for almost all of the weekend! How was yours?