It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 94

April 10, 2012

What is “Time to Vote Tuesday”?:

Last week’s poll, Are You Ready For Some BASEBALL? has now closed with 30 votes. Be sure to visit and see which baseball movie is ranked #1 among the voters HERE.

I wish to thank you everyone that voted in last week’s polls, shared it with others, and made it fun with your comments!

In this edition of ‘TVT’ this week’s poll, entitled “SciFi Fanatics!”, takes a look at IMDB’s Top Ten SciFi films!

Below you will find a slideshow of the Top 10 SciFi films of all time as voted by users on IMDB. (To see the entire list of the top 50, click HERE). I was surprised at the ranking of some of the Top Ten and the ranking of films such as Blade Runner (#15), Avatar (#32), and Jurassic Park (#40)!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Today, I ask you, choosing from the Top 10 list on IMDB,:

Sorry if your favorite isn’t on the list. Again, this is according to IMDB’s list. Which SciFi film do you think belongs in the Top 10? It’s too bad Honey, I Shrunk the Kids isn’t on the list! 😉

Let me know in the comment section! Thanks for voting!

The poll closes on 4-17-12 and the results will post on next week’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

up next: Review for American Reunion

***Don’t forget: For additional polls, updates, trailers, news, and more, become a fan/follower on Facebook and Twitter.

1. April 10, 2012 9:26 am

I know you didnt make the list T.

But WALL E? *sigh* LOL

Some crazy inclusions there… Again, I know its IMDbs.

I went Alien and Empire. Whats a poor boy to do with no Blade Runner?

• April 10, 2012 9:46 am

Really? Your gonna come after WallE? Fine, but you have to come through me first!

• April 10, 2012 12:14 pm

ya know, I’m gonna have to be with the anti-WallE group as well.

• April 12, 2012 4:44 am

I’ll help stand in the way too.

• April 10, 2012 12:11 pm

yes. WALL-E was very much out of place for me as I read that list.

Sorry about Blade Runner man. More people should rate movies better on IMDB. I know I do.

2. April 10, 2012 9:49 am

Well since you have Star Wars on there I’ll pick that one. But honestly, the Star Wars movies are more fantasy than sci-fi. Yes they have spaceships and different planets, but the ideas are based in myth and fantasy, not sci-fi. But because it has spaceships, it keeps showing up in these lists, like this imdb one. Now, I’m a massive star wars fan, but lets leave them out of these sci-fi lists and open up three more slots to give some other great movies some exposure!

• April 10, 2012 12:13 pm

You make a great point on Star Wars and sci-fi. What would you replace it with on the list?

• April 11, 2012 1:05 pm

Hmm, I’m not sure. Wait, yes I am. I just realized 2001 is not on the list! Also, Planet of the Apes.
        There’s also a score of newer hard sci-fi films to consider: Dark City, Children of Men, Minotiry Report, Gattaca, Sunshine, etc.

• April 11, 2012 10:44 pm

so many missing from the list. I agree. People should rank movies better on IMDB

3. jackdeth72 permalink
    April 10, 2012 10:38 am

Hi, Terrence and company:

I went with ‘Aliens’ and ‘Inception’.

‘Aliens’ has the good old fashioned feel of a ‘Red Scare’ Sci~Fi flick in outer space! Should have been the first film in the ‘Alien’ franchise.

‘Inception’ shows the possibilities of imagination unleashed in the ‘Real World’ of dreams.

‘Star wars : 4’ is Kurosawa’s ‘The Hidden Foretress’ with scads of Special Effects money thrown at it. Still prefer ‘The Empire Strikes Back’ for its character development and superior battle scenes.

Kubrick’s ‘A Clockwork Orange’ is memorable in that it foretold Britain’s Punk movement a full decaade before it occurred.

WALL-E?!!!…. Seriously?!!

• April 10, 2012 10:45 am

WallE is a dystopian story which explores a lot of meaningful themes. This is what science fiction does: it takes relevent sociological issues and tells them in a futuristic or alien setting so that we can see these issues more clearly when they’re removed from the contemporary. WallE does this wonderfully, all while wrapping itself up int he shroud of being a kids movie. Its brilliant.

• jackdeth72 permalink
        April 10, 2012 11:51 am

Hi, ian:

Nice dissertation.

Or, it could the inane ramblings of wannabe rampant hipster Ecologists, and Global Warmists about the evils of Preplanned Obsolesence and waste spun into a cloying confection tailor made for children.

We can agree to disagree on this one.

• April 10, 2012 12:18 pm

🙂

• April 10, 2012 12:16 pm

I still think Wall-E was close to being a waste of time. If I wanted to learn about sociological issues I can turn to the National Geographic channel. Kids aren’t going to try to dissect a movie for its sociological advantages/messages.

• April 10, 2012 12:16 pm

Wall-E was the only movie that ever let girls and kids think a cockroach was cute! haha

• April 10, 2012 12:14 pm

I’m glad you picked those 2 actually. I enjoyed them both very much.

4. April 10, 2012 10:54 am

BTTF and T2 all the way! Though I think The Matrix and Aliens are close third and fourth for me.

• April 10, 2012 12:17 pm

4 solid choices man! no doubt!

5. April 10, 2012 11:01 am

Tough choices T!!

My number 1 is a easy…Matrix all the way. great action followed by great story. The second one is a bit difficult, I like most of them except Clockwork because I haven’t seen it and Wall E because it’s nit that sci-fi enough.

• April 10, 2012 12:17 pm

hahaha. I’m loving all of the notes about Wall-E on this thread! LOL.

• April 11, 2012 1:04 pm

WallE is very sci-fi.

6. April 10, 2012 11:07 am

I would have to vote Other: Dark City!! 😀

• jackdeth72 permalink
      April 10, 2012 11:57 am

Good choice, Castor!

I would also go back a bit further and opt for ‘Threads’ from the BBC in 1984.

Or the UK’s ‘Nineteen Eighty Four’ from the same year. A stellar cast in a film that finally got it right!

• April 10, 2012 12:18 pm

1984! yes. Did I hear correctly that they were contemplating remaking it?

• April 10, 2012 12:18 pm

going against the grain as usual. haha

7. April 10, 2012 1:25 pm

Fine post, T. And timely (I can say no more ;-)).

• April 11, 2012 10:37 pm

Thank you sir! and thanks for voting!

8. April 10, 2012 2:58 pm

Nice poll, T! It’s tough though, as I wish I could vote for 3 as I love The Matrix, Wall*E and Inception. So hard to have to drop one from the list!

• April 11, 2012 10:37 pm

haha. and yet the choice must be made! 🙂

9. April 10, 2012 4:36 pm

That was a difficult choice but had to go Inception and The Matrix, two of my all time favourite films. Like a lot of people on here though, don’t really understand Wall-E inclusion?

• April 11, 2012 10:38 pm

good choices Ben! I was very skeptical when I saw Wall-E on the list myself.

10. April 10, 2012 6:38 pm

That’s an odd list, but my two favorites from it would be Alien and A Clockwork Orange. Can’t go wrong with any of them, though.

• April 11, 2012 10:39 pm

a very odd list indeed. Alien is an excellent choice sir!

11. April 12, 2012 4:51 am

Tough choices there! I think I’d be quite happy for any of those films to be winning, but went for T2 and Alien. Think Alien really opened my eyes to big screen sci-fi and nothing will ever scare me as much as Robert Patrick.

Oh and feel I need to stick up for Wall-e. A great sci-fi film, which to me, didn’t feel heavy handed in its message at all. The message was there for the grown ups. The robots and great visuals for the kids. A smart, sci-fi flick that’s not just aimed at kids but everyone!

• April 13, 2012 10:03 am

Wall-E just doesn’t seem to be a scifi film to me. sorry. Especially when you consider Aliens, Blade Runner, and so many others like them. Wall-E is just a cute cartoon. To me, part of the awe of sci-fi films is the intense sets built and equipment made/invented to tell the story and sell the believability! Wall-E just doesn’t do any of that for me.

12. April 15, 2012 8:47 pm

Love a lot of those films, including WALL*E which I hold one of the three best romances of the past decade (yup, I said it), but I’m a Star Wars loyalist. Voted for both Hope and Empire.

• April 16, 2012 12:14 pm

Star Wars. It is interesting to see everyone’s different opinions. Some think Star Wars isn’t scifi material, others think Wall-E definitely isn’t.

I love the variance of opinions. Makes it so much fun.

1. It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 95 « The Focused Filmographer