Movie News Monday for April 23, 2012

April 23, 2012

Welcome to this week’s edition of “Movie News Monday!” (“MNM!”)!! What is ‘MNM’all about?

In case this is your first time here, “Movie News Monday!” (MNM) is the place to visit every Monday for a quick recap of trending entertainment news! I’ve collected info, rumors, etc from all over just for you to keep you updated on movies being released, actors/actresses in roles, dvd releases to keep a lookout for, which movie won in the box office over the weekend, etc! Are you ready for your weekly update? Here it is!

This Just In!!…

#1- “The Weekend Winner.”  This past weekend, the #1 spot in the box office did not go to The Hunger Games for the 5th weekend in a row, as I previously predicted last week! However, currently at #19 of all-time earning gross with $357M, The Hunger Games still didn’t fare too badly against 3 new wide releases.

Here are the weekend’s estimated results for Fri, April 20 -Sun, April 22:

1. Think Like a Man ~$33M
  2. The Lucky One ~$22.8M
  3. The Hunger Games ~$21.5M
  4. Chimpanzee ~$10.2M
  5. The Three Stooges ~$9.2M
  6. The Cabin in the Woods ~$7.75M
  7. American Reunion ~$5.7M
  8. Titanic 3D ~$5M
  9. 21 Jump Street ~$4.6M
  10. Mirror Mirror ~$4.1M

Congrats to Think Like a Man for winning the box office! I didn’t think it would, and now, prompts me to go see it and review it for you. What did YOU watch this weekend?

#2- “New Promo Posters!” Collider.com showed some pretty neat posters and banners from upcoming films that were highlighted at CinemaCon 2012 in Las Vegas and published them on their site just over the weekend. (You can see the entire collection HERE). You know me and my love of posters!

Check out some of the promo posters that they took some shots of to share! I can’t wait for some of the titles! (You can click any of the pictures to enlarge for a better view)

Les Miserables -starring Russell Crowe, Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, Helena Bonham Carter, Amanda Seyfried. December 14, 2012.

47 Ronin -starring Keanu Reeves, Hiroyuki Sanada, Kou Shibasaki. November 21, 2012.

The Words -starring Bradley Cooper, Zoe Saldana, Olivia Wilde. September 21, 2012.

This is 40 -starring Paul Rudd, Leslie Mann, Jason Segel, Megan Fox. December 21, 2012.

To Rome With Love -starring Woody Allen, Penelope Cruz, Jesse Eisenberg, Ellen Page. June 22, 2012.

Seven Psychopaths -starring Woody Harrelson, Sam Rockwell, Christopher Walken, Abbie Cornish, Colin Farrell. 2012.

Thanks to Collider for sharing these posters! There are even more available on their site if you wish to see more.

What are your thoughts on these poster or the movies themselves?

#3- “Is a Lobo movie loco? ” When director Guy Ritchie left ambitions to create a movie based on the bounty hunter of the DC Comics universe to venture on a gamble of a hopeful Sherlock Holmes franchise starring Robert Downey, Jr. (Why would he do that?! haha), no one picked up the helm to bring the film to fruition. Now, it seems like another filmmaker has decided to bring the live-action project to the big screen.

Brad Peyton, director of Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, is set to rewrite and direct the adaptation of the film featuring the Czarnian character whose name means  “he who devours your entrails and thoroughly enjoys it” and doesn’t stand for the Spanish word which is translated “wolf.” Lobo is a character who can possibly best be described as a parody mix of sorts of other hunters such as Wolverine, The Punisher, Kraven the Hunter, and such like. There is much more to his story than at first apparent. Lobo is a loose cannon for sure.

Check out his resume:

• wiped out every Czarnian on his planet in order to be “unique” and one of a kind…”The Last Czarnian”
  • murdered his own daughter and tons more “illegitimate” children when they launched an attempt on his life
  • tried to kill Santa Claus for the Easter Bunny!
When Lobo first hit comic book stores, creator Keith Griffen had no idea his character would take off as well as it did. Perhaps a film adaptation will have just as much success. One thing’s for sure, it won’t be as kid-friendly as Peyton’s Journey 2 or his other film, Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore.
Source: Reelzchannel, Screenrant, and Wikipedia.

Are you ready for another DC movie attempt? Anyone remember Jonah Hex??

#4- “Who’s that Boy? Boy Nobody?” By now, I am sure you know who Jaden Smith is! Blockbuster duo Will and Jada Smith’s son has built up quite a fine film following himself after his roles in movies such as Pursuit of Happyness, The Karate Kid, and director M. Night Shyamalan’s upcoming extraterrestrial thriller: After Earth (June 7, 2013).

Jaden Smith in M. Night Shyamalan's "After Earth"

Sony is currently in the workings of acquiring the rights to a trilogy starring the young Mr. Smith that is to be based on a novel series from author Allen Zadoff. Zadoff’s upcoming book, Boy Nobody, will be followed up by 2 more novels. The series is set to follow a teen assassin who is developed without emotion to accomplish the missions he is assigned. After being brainwashed and having emotions purged, he inevitably begins to regain his emotions. His struggle after will be the main focus of the protagonist’s story.

This first book of the series is scheduled for release this Spring.

What do you think of the story? Do you think Jaden Smith is strong enough of an actor to carry a Bourne-esque trilogy?

#5- “This Week’s Blu-ray release.” This week, look for the following films on Blu-ray to possibly add to your collection:

Contraband– Mark Wahlberg stars as a husband and family man who reluctantly re-enters the world of high-risk smuggling in order to protect his family from the threat of those in the business after his novice brother-in-law botches up a smuggling heist and faces certain death. Co-starring Kate Beckinsale, Ben Foster, and Giovanni Ribisi, Contraband may be worth a rental, but I’d exercise judgment prior to purchase. (Read my REVIEW)

Several other films also release this week. Check it out!

Also releasing: The Innkeepers and Dark Tide

Well, that’s it for this round of “Movie News Monday!”

up next: Review for CHIMPANZEE and “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT! Starting this Friday, a full week’s focus on each of Marvel’s films/characters leading up to The Avengers! Everyday a new feature leading up to May 4th’s release and review of Marvel’s The Avengers! You don’t want to miss April 27th-May4th! I guarantee!

1. jackdeth72 permalink
    April 23, 2012 9:21 am

Hi, Terrence and company:

I could definitely get behind a film about ‘Lobo’. Intergalactic biker and bounty hunter extraordinaire. Animated would probably be the best way to go. Especially if voiced by Brad Garret. As when he first caught my attention in the old Warner Brothers’ ‘Superman: The Animated Series’.

Live action would require LOTS of CGI and a very versatile muscle suit.

PS: ‘Seven Psychopaths’ looks like it has a great cat of psychopaths!

• April 23, 2012 10:07 am

I remember LOBO in that series. Yeah, Brad Garret was a great voice.

Hope you had a great weekend. Thanks for checking out the news today.

2. April 23, 2012 9:42 am

I watched Tomboy which I can strongly recommend. Not overly keen on the posters. Quite like the 47 Ronin one. Keen to see Seven Psychopaths. Lobo sounds nuts. Jaden’s grown up loads since I last saw him on screen! I like the sound of Boy Nobody! Phew, great round up!

• April 23, 2012 10:08 am

Thanks for checking out the round up today. I have some high hopes for Jaden and am glad to see him finding roles that fit him well.

3. April 23, 2012 10:00 am

Yaaiii…can’t wait to see the 47 ronins to be realesed. Hmm…I didn’t know it will be in 3D 😦

• April 23, 2012 10:09 am

Neither did I. That kind of surprised me. I thought you’d be looking forward to it though since it has Keanu. 😀

• April 23, 2012 10:10 am

I am looking forward to it, it has 2 fav actors of mine, keanu and Hiroyuki Sanada…but 3D lets me down a bit

4. April 23, 2012 10:59 am

Not a good week in news. Two probably forgettable films taking the top of the box office, plans to take “Lobo” to the big screen doesn’t sound too appealing. Another Shyamalan film starring Jaden Smith…mmm…I have my doubts to say the least.

Some very interesting films coming along later this year though. Thanks for sharing!

• April 24, 2012 10:19 pm

Thanks for stopping in!

5. April 23, 2012 2:58 pm

I’m thrilled to see ‘Think Like a Man’ with mostly black actors winning box office, yay! I don’t really care for Jaden Smith however, he still needs to prove that he’s got talent other than being Wil Smith’s son.

Woo hoo! Excited for the Avengers Initiative. Thanks for inviting me to take part! 🙂

• April 24, 2012 10:20 pm

I was surprised that Think Like a Man took the box office!

Can’t wait for The Avengers Initiative to begin!

6. April 23, 2012 8:05 pm

I already expressed doubts about a Lobo movie on my own blog, so I won’t rehash much of it here. Just suffice to say that I’m eager to see more DC Comics movies… but I’d rather they went with any one of several dozen other characters.

Seven Psychopaths has an interesting title and an interesting cast. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

• April 24, 2012 10:20 pm

And it was a fine article you wrote, man! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

7. April 23, 2012 8:19 pm

I am thrilled that ‘Think Like a Man’, an non typical Hollow-wood movie, is number #1. I am so elated, that I might just attend an open weekender.

• April 24, 2012 10:21 pm

I will await to hear your thoughts on the film once you have seen it.

8. April 23, 2012 10:24 pm

When i first saw the trailer for Think like a Man i wasn’t too impressed…but after it seeing get a not horrible RT score and after reading Sams review on anomalous material i am starting to think it may have something. Plus it would be nice to know Gabrielle’s done something decent since Cadillac Records. And speaking of RT scores, it is killing my points for the Lucky One. Its at like 21% 😦

And as for the jaden smith news…no. If race isn’t a factor than i would have much preferred Hunter Mckraken (The kid who played Young Jack in the Tree of Life) in the role. His performance is one of the main reasons why i ended up liking that movie more than i thought i would. if it is, then i am sure there are plenty of young talented black actors out there.

• April 24, 2012 10:22 pm

Thanks for checking out the news, Julian.

Yeah…tough break on The Lucky One, but, in all honesty…did you expect it to get great scores?

• April 24, 2012 11:15 pm

I was hoping it would be in the 30-50 range with Dear John and the Notebook. His next film the Paperboy should do much better with critics, although i am not sure it will get good box office numbers

• April 26, 2012 8:53 pm

I bet you are right on both counts. RT score and box office numbers!

9. April 24, 2012 2:09 am

Sorry the bottom banner distracted me from what I read above it…

AVENGERS!

• April 24, 2012 9:41 am

best. comment. ever. 🙂

10. April 24, 2012 2:12 am

Blimey I still can’t believe how much Jaden looks like his Dad!!

• April 24, 2012 10:22 pm