Movie News Monday for May 7, 2012

May 7, 2012

Welcome to this week’s edition of “Movie News Monday!” (“MNM!”)!! What is ‘MNM’all about?

In case this is your first time here, “Movie News Monday!” (MNM) is the place to visit every Monday for a quick recap of trending entertainment news! I’ve collected info, rumors, etc from all over just for you to keep you updated on movies being released, actors/actresses in roles, dvd releases to keep a lookout for, which movie won in the box office over the weekend, etc! Are you ready for your weekly update? Here it is!

This Just In!!…

#1- “The Weekend Winner.”  This past weekend, the previous winners of #1 spot in the box office were demolished by “Earth’s Mightiest Heroes: The Avengers!” Not only did The Avengers take the #1 spot as the only wide new release, but it also smashed the all-time opening weekend box office record. Previously, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, pt 2 held the record from 2011 with $169M over an opening weekend. Well, HP 7.2 has been defeated and the record now belongs to The Avengers with $200.3. The Avengers is the FIRST EVER movie to break $200M on opening weekend!!

Here are the weekend’s estimated results for Fri, May 4 -Sun, May 6:

1. The Avengers ~$200.3M
  2. Think Like a Man ~$8M
  3. The Hunger Games ~$5.7M
  4. The Lucky One ~$5.5M
  5. The Pirates! Band of Misfits ~$5.4M
  6. The Five-Year Engagement ~$5.1M
  7. The Raven ~$2.5M
  8. Safe ~$2.47M
  9. Chimpanzee ~$2.39M
  10. The Three Stooges ~$1.8M

Congrats to The Avengers for winning the box office! If you haven’t seen it yet, you had better do so!

#2- “Avatar, Avatar, Avatar!” James Cameron is done making movies! Whaaa? Yep, he’s done making any movies that don’t begin with the letter “A” and are followed with the letters “v,a,t,a,r.”

In recent conversations, James Cameron has stated that the only thing he is interested in making is Avatar films, continuing the epic story.

“Last year I basically completely disbanded my production company’s development arm. So I’m not interested in developing anything. I’m in the Avatar business. Period. That’s it. I’m making AvatarAvatar 2Avatar 3, maybe Avatar 4.”

His interview with the New York Times at the Beijing Film Festival sheds a little more light on his comment:

“I’ve divided my time over the last 16 years over deep ocean exploration and filmmaking. I’ve made two movies in 16 years, and I’ve done eight expeditions. Last year I basically completely disbanded my production company’s development arm. So I’m not interested in developing anything. I’m in theAvatar business. Period. That’s it. I’m making AvatarAvatar 2Avatar 3, maybe Avatar 4, and I’m not going to produce other people’s movies for them. I’m not interested in taking scripts. And that all sounds I suppose a little bit restricted, but the point is I think within the Avatar landscape I can say everything I need to say that I think needs to be said, in terms of the state of the world and what I think we need to be doing about it. And doing it in an entertaining way. And anything I can’t say in that area, I want to say through documentaries, which I’m continuing.”

After his great success with Titanic and with Avatar, I expect that Cameron will be dedicating his time and efforts on the story continuations with hopes of having it turn into a series of sequels that only gets better…and not worse…as most sequels go. While release dates are still up in the air, with their working on technology developments for filming, the planned December 2014 release of Avatar 2 seems unlikely.

What are your thoughts? Are you ready for Avatar 2, 3, and 4? Do you want to see Cameron do something different?

Source: Collider

#3- “Maleficent Has Her King.” The upcoming film, Maleficent, starring Angelina Jolie as the evil queen from Sleeping Beauty legend is starting to take form.

The “prequel” of sorts to the fabled story of Sleeping Beauty is set to star Angelina Jolie and…

Sharlto Copley!

Copley (District 9, The A-Team) will be King Stefan (Aurora’s father) in the upcoming tale that tells why Maleficent cursed Aurora to begin with! This is welcome news to see Copley get more parts as he also was recently confirmed as the villain in Spike Lee’s Old Boy. Look for more news on Maleficent as the film is currently set for a March 14, 2014 release date.

Are you interested in this movie project?

#4- “From Toys to Games?” Now that The Hunger Games sequel, Catching Fire, has a director (Francis Lawrence from I Am Legend), the rest of the cast and crew is starting to come together. Screenwriter Michael Arndt is currently in negotiations to pen the screenplay for the anticipated sequel.

Photo courtesy Screenrant

Arndt previously wrote the screenplays for both Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3. He was nominated for an Academy Award for both and won one for his work on Little Miss Sunshine. He will be a fine addition to the franchise once negotiations are finalized.

Catching Fire is coming together and is set to release in theaters on November 22, 2013.

What do you think of Arndt’s expected involvement? Are you a fan of his work?

#5- “This Week’s Blu-ray release.” This week, look for the following films on Blu-ray to possibly add to your collection:

Underworld: Awakening– Kate Beckinsale returns as Selene the Deathdealer after several years in cryo-sleep. Awakening to an unknown world with more enemies and unrealized events, she battles her fears and enemies from multiple fronts in an effort to survive. Lycans and vampires battle it out in this next installment of the Underworld series. (Read my REVIEW)

Several other films also release this week. Check it out!

Also releasing: The Vow (Read my REVIEW), Tim and Eric’s Billion Dollar Movie and Mother’s Day

Well, that’s it for this round of “Movie News Monday!”

up next: “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

1. May 7, 2012 10:51 am

Cameron, I’m sure, has all the money he needs at this point so he can make such a decision. I’d like to see him do other things, though (and this from one who is an Avatar fan). I’ll be making another trek to see ‘The Avengers’ this week, this time with my daughter (and my son, if he gets his homework all done, that is ;-)). Thanks, T.

• May 7, 2012 10:56 am

i would like to see him do other things too. But that’s okay. He does what he wants. I liked Avatar, but at this point I really don’t care too much about sequels for it. But I could be convinced otherwise!

Man, Great job on heading to The Avengers again! I hope your son gets his homework done! 🙂

2. May 7, 2012 10:56 am

How does it feel to be in the BIGGEST movie of the year? 😉 Fun movie, not surprised that it was such a smashing hit.

• May 7, 2012 10:58 am

very humbling, very exciting, and it makes me very proud to have been a part. But I would never have even known about it had you not told me about the casting call Ruth. Thank you so very much!

• May 7, 2012 11:02 am

😀

3. Jaina permalink
    May 7, 2012 12:11 pm

James Cameron… what are you on? I respect the work he’s done, but what’s he ON!?!

• May 8, 2012 6:29 pm

haha. he’s on Pandora apparently! 🙂

4. May 7, 2012 12:59 pm

The worst part of what Cameron said was that he wasn’t producing any other films. I think it would be a bit selfish of Cameron not to lend a hand to other film makers, even if it’s just his seal of appproval, on any scripts he thinks are good. His name carries some weight, even if it’s just as a producer rather than director.

• May 8, 2012 6:31 pm

I agree with you, Ben. I hope that he means the sentiment of focusing on his films, but will still lend his support to others.

5. May 7, 2012 10:58 pm

Cameron is actually making me feel like he’s started to lose his mind a little. Not producing any other films because “he can say what he wants to say about the planet with Avatar“? Hmph. Besides the fact that this means a lot of potentially great films will have more trouble getting funded with one less mega-producer available, there’s a huge flaw in his reasoning here.

Nobody went to Avatar for its message.

Sure, it’s got one, and if that’s what he wants to say, he can say it, and maybe even turn out a decent movie while saying it. But if it’s his focus, if he thinks that is the reason to create sequels, then those sequels will be terrible.

• May 8, 2012 6:33 pm

I’m not too thrilled for an Avatar series. I wasn’t all that bought into the first one. I watched it…sure. But for me, there is little to no re-watch interest. So, I’m not sold on sequels at this point in time.

6. May 8, 2012 2:47 am

I am so surprised at Cameron. How indulgent.

The new banner looks well on the site T

• May 8, 2012 6:34 pm

Scott, Thank YOU for the hard work and innovation you put into creating it. You’re quite the guy!

7. May 8, 2012 6:30 am

[he’s done making any movies that don’t begin with the letter “A” and are followed with the letters “v,a,t,a,r.”]

HA!

Come to think of it, most of his movies start with either “A” or “T”…

• May 8, 2012 6:44 pm

LOL. yeah. I just hope that he doesn’t stay exclusive to Avatar. I’d like to see him do at least a couple of other projects.

• May 9, 2012 5:01 am

Avatar is his baby… I doubt he’s leaving it for less than 5 sequels…

• May 9, 2012 10:12 am

That may just be 5 movies that I won’t be watching…

8. May 8, 2012 12:52 pm

I actually love Cameron even more now. I’m excited to see where he goes with the sequels. Let’s hope he does a T2 or Aliens and improves on the orginal!

I also thought Simon Beaufoy was writing Catching Fire so I’m disappointed to here he’s not. Shame about the choice of director too but It was a great book so I’ll wait and see!

• May 8, 2012 6:47 pm

I wasn’t a big fan of Avatar, so I’m pretty indifferent to the news, but I would like to see Cameron still work on a few different things.

9. filmplicity permalink
    May 8, 2012 2:23 pm

I’m not the least bit interested in seeing any more Avatar movies to be honest. I can’t see anything original that is left to be done with the concept. Maybe I’m missing a trick, I’ll gladly eat my words if Cameron proves me wrong but the prospect of potentially another 3 Avatar movies is a bit nauseating.

• May 8, 2012 6:48 pm

I’m with you on the Avatar movies. truly.

10. May 10, 2012 8:50 am

I have not seen Sharlto Copley in District 9 or in any other work but I like seeing a man with distinct features like that play the hot one in the Oldboy remake.

I’m not not of the people who are super excited for Francis Lawrence because I haven’t seen the Reese Witherspoon movie but I do respect that bravado ending of I am Legend.

• May 11, 2012 9:42 am

I recommend you see District 9, he was fantastic in that role. I am glad to see him get more work lately.

Thanks for commenting.