“Trailer Time Thursday!” 5.10.12

May 10, 2012

Today is THURSDAY!!! And you know what that means!! 🙂 It is officially time for another fun-filled edition of “Trailer Time Thursday!”

Finally, your weekly fix of “Triple-T” (aka: “Trailer Time Thursday!”) has arrived!!

In case this is your first visit to “Triple-T,”here’s what it’s all about:

Seeing as how everyone loves movie previews, “Trailer Time Thursday!” was created to bring all of the trending trailers that you may have missed in theaters, or just need to see, all in one convenient place! It makes Thursdays so great! Get ready! Your Preview Pandemonium awaits!

Got a pretty good group of interesting/exciting trailers for you today. ENJOY!!! :)

End of Watch. A look at police partners in Los Angeles that looks to be almost as intense as the film Crash. Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Peña star as the LAPD partners in this police drama that will be available to watch on September 28, 2012.

Bringing Up Bobby. Bill Pulman joins Milla Jovavich in this story of a mother whose attachment to scamming unsuspecting people is rivaled only by her love of raising her son. When both are threatened, she must figure out what to do in order to continue “Bringing up Bobby.” Directed by Famke Janssen (Jean Grey from X-Men) this one received mediocre reviews after releasing in the UK last year. It is set to release in the US soon.

Argo. Director Ben Affleck’s latest cinematic offering showcases his talent along with Bryan Cranston, John Goodman, and others to share the “based on a true story” story of  a CIA agent’s risky plan to extract six American hostages from Iran in the middle of a revolutionary uprising in the early 1980s. Extract yourself from your couch and hit the theaters for this one on October 12, 2012.

Killer Joe. Emile Hirsch and Juno Temple quickly learn that Matthew McConaughey is not a man you want to mess with in this film. Well, with a name like “Killer Joe,” you’d tend to think so. But, they learn too late as they hire him in order to collect insurance money to pay off another thug that they owe. But when payment doesn’t come soon enough, Killer Joe doesn’t take too kindly to that. Rated NC-17 for violence and more, Killer Joe hits theater on July 27, 2012.

Cowgirls n’ Angels. (I keep wanting to call this “Cowgirls n’ ALIENS” haha). Bailee Madison and James Cromwell star in this emotionally inspiring story of a girl who sets out to accomplish her dreams in the rodeo arena despite all naysayers. Not my cup of tea, but perhaps you have a daughter who might be interested. If so, you can look to saddle up and see this one soon. I’m not sure if it is getting a theatrical release…or if it is coming straight to dvd. If you know, leave the info in the comment section.

Dark Horse. A rather unknown title, Dark Horse stars Jordan Gelber with Christopher Walken and Selma Blair. According to imdb, here is the synopsis: “Romance blooms between two thirty-somethings in arrested development: an avid toy collector and a woman who is the dark horse of her family.” Check out the trailer.

The Gangster Squad. This ganster movie looks GREAT! Starring Sean Penn, Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, Josh Brolin, Nick Nolte, Michael Peña, Giovanni Ribisi, Anthony Mackie, and more! Woohoo. Watch as this film centers around the LAPD’s efforts to push back the incoming threat of the invading East Coast Mafia gangsters. The lengths they go to in the 40’s and 50’s to keep them out. With no official release date yet, expect this one to be in theaters sometime this year!

Oh, and if you haven’t seen the newest trailer for The Amazing Spider-Man (WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN???), 😀 Be sure to click the poster below to watch it! It’s…AMAZING!

This Week’s “Special Trailer Spotlight”:

Featurette: The Making of Moonrise Kingdom

Directed by Wes Anderson (The Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Royal Tenenbaums), Moonrise Kingdom is a film I have been wanting to which stars a delightful ensemble of a cast. Here is the synopsis from Collider:

Set on an island off the coast of New England in the summer of 1965, MOONRISE KINGDOM tells the story of two twelve-year-olds who fall in love, make a secret pact, and run away together into the wilderness. As various authorities try to hunt them down, a violent storm is brewing off-shore — and the peaceful island community is turned upside down in more ways than anyone can handle. Bruce Willis plays the local sheriff. Edward Norton is a Khaki Scout troop leader. Bill Murray and Frances McDormand portray the young girl’s parents. The cast also includes Tilda Swinton, Jason Schwartzman, and Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward as the boy and girl.

Check out this neat featurette!

Well, that’s it for this round of ‘Triple-T’!

My favorite trailers from today: The Gangster Squad, Argo, and End of Watch. Which ones are your favorites??

Are you ready for the weekend in theaters? Here’s what releases this weekend, May 11, 2012:

• Wide Release: Dark Shadows, The Road
  • Limited Release: Girl in Progress, Where Do We Go Now, God Bless America, Hick, and more.

1. jackdeth72 permalink
    May 10, 2012 10:00 am

Hi, Terrence and company:

Interesting group of trailers for a Thursday.

‘End of Watch’ looks like an update to an old 1970s flick called ‘The Super Cops’. Where the uniforms worked Bed~Stuy and Harlem. Not a huge Jake Gyllenhall fan, though this one might change my mind.

I’m stoked about Friedkin directing ‘Killer Joe’ !The film has the look and feel of one of Joe R. Lansdale’s old West Texas, middle of nowhere murder mysteries. Good looking, competent cast, too.

‘Dark Horse’?…. Meh.

So, Hollywood has decided to make a live action film on the FPS (First Person Shooter) ‘L.A. Noire’. With all of the appropriate bells and whistles, Even Nick Nolte. Might be worthwhile to see Emma Stone handling a dramatic role.

• May 11, 2012 9:44 am

I like the looks of The Gangster Squad myself. and Matthew Mc…well, he impressed me so much in Lincoln Lawyer and I am highly intrigued to see him in this dark role

• jackdeth72 permalink
        May 11, 2012 10:02 am

Hi, Terrence:

If you want to see McConaughey playing a dark character, check him, Powers Boothe and Bill Paxton out in the Paxton directed ‘Frailty’.

McConaughey’s ‘Killer Joe’ looks about ten times darker and more wicked, but he appears a lot funnier. A nice change up from a role that seems tailor made for Woody Harrelson.

I also expect ‘Cowgirls and Angels’ to do well in fly over, middle America and will be surprised if it plays in any theaters on either coast. Though Cromwell has a well earned rep of making whatever role he’s given (Babe, L.A. Confidential) bigger than anyone imagined.

• May 11, 2012 10:05 am

Thank you for the recommendation. I am not familiar with that one and will seek it out.

I did like Cromwell in Babe (along with several others), but even he can’t convince me to watch this one. Although I did just finish watching an episode of Star Trek Deep Space Nine (ep 79) where he was in full costume as an alien. Didn’t even recognize it was him! I liked him in the different unassuming role.

2. May 10, 2012 11:46 am

Phwoar what a great week for trailers! Loving the look of Argo, Killer Joe and The Gangster Squad. Bloody hell that last one looks incredibly good!

• May 11, 2012 9:44 am

ha. Thanks for checking ’em out. I agree, some great trailers this week.

3. May 10, 2012 7:26 pm

Interesting that I put up a post on ensemble cast and ARGO’s trailer is out 🙂 That one looks good. I’ve been impressed w/ Affleck’s previous directing work so this might be the best one yet.

I’m just meh on Gangster Squad, meh cast for me too.

• May 11, 2012 9:58 am

I like the looks of ARGO too. Man, Affleck sure is making a name for himself, huh?

Another “meh” for Gangster Squad, huh? Interesting.

4. May 11, 2012 12:58 am

End of Watch looks like it could be interesting but hopefully, it won’t be too shaky cam heavy. The gimmick is getting a bit old, to be truthful. Argo looks like another awesome directorial feature from Ben Affleck!

• May 11, 2012 9:59 am

Yes, I was a little concerned about the live-footage documentary type of filming for End of Watch myself.

5. May 11, 2012 1:48 am

GANGSTER SQUAD!!! HAHAH I love the look of that one!

• May 11, 2012 9:59 am

Me too, Scott. I’m glad to see that you do! Of course, you do because it has Gosling in it! Admit it! 😀

6. May 11, 2012 4:40 am

The Gangstar Squad trailer is so over the top, I really don’t like…it’s too freaking gangsta for me, it’s laughable! Surprisingly, for me, End of Watch looks better! Interesting!

• May 11, 2012 10:00 am

wow. It’s interesting to see the varying opinions on Gangster Squad this week. Thanks for chiming in today!

• May 11, 2012 10:16 am

High five Diana! Kind of pretentious I think, just like the cast, ahah.

7. May 12, 2012 4:20 pm

Argo and Gangster Squad both look like they could be pretty good. End of Watch and Killer Joe, maybe. Quite a running theme on this TTT, though isn’t it? Whole lot of films about cops that aren’t squeaky-clean.

• May 15, 2012 9:56 am

Yeah! haha. I did notice that underlying theme in the trailers of this edition of Triple-T. i laughed when I realized it. I could’ve added in a trailer for Hick, and almost did, but I ended up liking the selection in the end. LOL.

sorry for my delayed response over the weekend. Thanks for watching and commenting.