It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 99

May 15, 2012

What is “Time to Vote Tuesday”?:

Last week’s poll, The Best of the Bad has now closed with 69 votes. Be sure to visit and see which villains were voted as the best movie villains of all time! Click HERE.

I wish to thank you everyone that voted in last week’s polls, shared it with others, and made it fun with your comments!

In this edition of ‘TVT’ this week’s poll, entitled “Wondrous Women”, takes a look at proposing starlets for the ever-evasive Wonder Woman movie.

Comic book superhero films are ever popular. Batman, Spider-Man, The Avengers, Superman, etc., etc. Of course, D.C. Comics has had their successes with Superman and Batman, but not with too many others of their superhero icons (Green Lantern. Jonah Hex. Steel, anyone??).

One superhero that has always been brought up to make a movie for is Wonder Woman. Yet no one as been able to produce a Wonder Woman movie unfortunately.

Remember when the hoaxed film starring Megan Fox was the “weekly rave”?

Please…NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Well, whether or not a Wonder Woman movie ever gets made (there’s been so much back and forth over the years for numerous reasons), CinemaBlend presented an interesting article last week entitled “5 Reasons Joss Whedon and Scarlett Johansson should do Wonder Woman next.” and I really liked the article (not that I’m biased or anything with my love for Ms. Scarlett!) 🙂

After contemplating it, I compiled a list of actresses whom I think would be great considerations for the role of the Amazonian princess. Below you will find some quick info about each of the considerations followed by today’s poll asking you to choose from the list. You can make your decision for any reason you wish and include it in a comment to add to the debate. But be warned…petty reasons such as “she’s too short” or “she’s too old” will be quickly shot down in flames. Why? Because anything is possible in this day and age. Observe:

• Chris Evans played both muscular Cpt. America and skinny Steve Rogers.
  • Elijah Wood is only 5 inches shorter than Sir Ian McKellan in real life. He is not really Hobbit-sized
  • Robert Pattinson (age 26) plays a teenage vampire in highschool.

So…come up with some REAL reasons! 😉

Here are your choices for the poll!

1. Gina Carano

-Age: 30; MMA fighting champion; made her first full-length feature debut in the movie Haywire; Able to deliver amazing fighting action on the screen and looks great doing so.

2. Lynn Collins

-Age: 35; Warrior princess in John Carter; Kayla Silverfox in X-Men Origins: Wolverine; Already familiar with being a princess from another planet; Can wield a weapon; Tough and gorgeous.

3. Scarlett Johansson

-Age: 27; Black Widow in Iron Man 2 and The Avengers; Able to blend comedy, drama, and action together; Can put a serious hurting on her enemies; Already wears some great bracelets in The Avengers; Familiar with playing a character from the comic book universe.

4. Gemma Arterton

-Age: 26; Starred in Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Clash of the Titans, and Quantum of Solace; Able to put up a fight and still look amazing simultaneously; Exercises witty banter; Can be seen in the upcoming adventure Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters alongside Jeremy Renner.

5. Adrianne Palicki

-Age: 29; Starred in Friday Night Lights; Already cast as Wonder Woman in the tv series that didn’t take off; Looks great in the outfit and portrays Diana astoundingly. Can be seen as Lady Jaye in the upcoming G.I. Joe: Retaliation.

6. Rachel Nichols

-Age: 32; Scarlett in G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra; Tough Detroit cop in upcoming Alex Cross; Also played the redhead green alien Starfleet Academy cadet in Star Trek; Fought alongside Jason Momoa in Conan the Barbarian; Kicked butt in the tv show Alias.

Today I ask you to join in the debate and discuss:

So, who did you choose to be Wonder Woman? I can’t wait to see the results next week!

The poll closes on 5-22-12 and the results will post on next week’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” Please be sure to share it with your friends!

This post is dedicated to my friend, Hibster…the greatest Wonder Woman fan I know!

***Don’t forget: For additional polls, updates, trailers, news, and more, become a fan/follower on Facebook and Twitter.

1. jackdeth72 permalink
    May 15, 2012 10:10 am

Hi, Terrence and company:

I went with ‘Other’. Since none of those mentioned have ‘Presence’. Or the ability to pull off what Lynda Carter could decades ago without breaking a sweat.

My choices would be Morena Baccarin. With her signature long hair and bare legs that are exactly where they are supposed to be! Or perhaps, Carla Gugino. Who wears nothing, Spandex or wet-look PVC magnificently.

• May 15, 2012 10:35 am

I considered Carla Gugino for this poll earlier but left her out as I tend to not find her to be a believable Diana (IMO).

I’m not familiar with Morena Baccarin. I will look her up! Thanks for voting today. Although, I would def have to disagree with you on the ‘presence’ argument. I do think that some of these ladies could really pull it off. While I may have concerns about a couple of them, they all made the poll. 🙂

• jackdeth72 permalink
        May 15, 2012 11:10 am

Hi, Terrence:

Morena Baccarin: Inara Sera from ‘Firefly’ and ‘Serenity’. Also had her locks trimmed short for her role as the emissary/Lizard Queen in ABC’s reboot of ‘V’ from 2010.

Also played Damien Lewis’ wife, Jessica in Showtime’s ‘Homeland’.

Note regarding Wonder Woman’s new costume/outfit:

Lose the tights! Keep the bustier. Boots should be knee length at most. Black and lace up.

• May 15, 2012 11:14 am

I looked her up. Thanks for all the info. It’s been a while since I watched Serenity and just didn’t remember her. A nice choice!

ah yes, and that’s true. I do remember her from Homeland now. Thanks for reeling that in for me.

I gotta say, I was diggin the new outfit. I mean, Hollywood’s gonna change a few things, but I felt that they still stayed respectful to the character with the new design for the tv show. It really worked. I’m okay with the tights as opposed to the bathing suit look.

• jackdeth72 permalink
        May 16, 2012 7:28 am

Just checking and logging into WordPress.

• May 16, 2012 7:28 pm

ten4

2. May 15, 2012 10:38 am

I like the idea of Carla Gugino. Seems like the sort of role she would be perfect for.

• May 15, 2012 10:42 am

Interesting. I like seeing another differing opinion. I will concede that she is a strong personality, but she def didn’t do anything in the “believability factor” for me in Sucker Punch and we only saw her as a superhero in Watchmen for a tiny bit. Yes, she was fantastic in Sin City, but I still think their might be better options than her.

Thoughts?
      Thanks for voting.

3. May 15, 2012 11:06 am

My vote is Lynn Collins becasue when I look at her, I can actually see Wonder Woman. She needs a little help in being a little more Kick-a$$ which I think Rachel Nichols would then fair better.

All the other choices were a no-go for me, especially Scarlette & Carano. I know how much u love Johansson, but Im sorry…she is no Wonder Woman…lol

• May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Hey Tajuana! Thanks for voting and leaving a comment today. I’ll tell ya that I actually would prefer to see Lynn Collins over Scarlett as Wonder Woman. Believe it or not. ha. But if I were to vote, it’d be a toss up for me between Collins and Carano actually. I really liked Carano potential from Haywire…didn’t like the movie, but she showed she has what it takes.

• May 15, 2012 11:19 am

Carano is dry and sounds like a man. She has a long way to go before I am interested in seeing her featured in another film. Carano has great fighting skill but would definitely ruin this movie if she were cast as Wonder Woman.

Im not worried though. I know no one would dare make that mistake…lol

• May 15, 2012 12:02 pm

haha. I love it when you share your thoughts on actors and actresses! I’d still be willing to give Carano a shot at this!

• May 15, 2012 1:03 pm

🙂

4. May 15, 2012 11:43 am

Haven’t even seen Haywire yet but from what I have seen, I’d love to see Gina Carano get a shot!

• May 15, 2012 12:02 pm

Nice vote Pete!

• May 16, 2012 12:03 pm

Well, since I just saw Haywire, Carano gets my vote. It’s not like Wonder Woman is gonna need to have dramatic range, ahah. But she needs to be a believable in the kick-ass action stuff, and Carano can deliver that. I like J Franks’ explanation below about Carano, she’s not bad in Haywire considering it’s her first film w/ zero acting experience. I mean, she’s still better than say, Jason Statham!

• May 16, 2012 7:29 pm

Yay! another vote for Carano. I wasn’t expecting her to be winning by such a landslide. She really has some good support now for the role.

5. May 15, 2012 2:52 pm

I picked Gina Carano because i think she is the only one who could look right and could very easily play a amazonian what with her history and all 🙂

• May 16, 2012 7:24 pm

a good choice. I like her for the part myself.

6. May 15, 2012 6:03 pm

I have to go with Scarlett Johanssen by default. Three of those girls I don’t know, and the other shave not impressed me.

• May 16, 2012 7:24 pm

by default, huh? I do like her a lot, but I really don’t want to see her in the DC universe AND Marvel. Kinda like her ex, Ryan Reynolds.

7. J.Franks permalink
    May 16, 2012 12:48 am

If one deems the action-ability of these fems as good or great, then either one must conclude that either a description of Gina Carano, by comparison, must then be deemed (something along the lines of) “celestial” -or- such person is unaware of what constitutes good action.

Joss Whedon recently noted that he’d like to keep his actor’s faces (identity) in frame as much as possible to address audiences’ suspension of disbelief, and yet Scarlett Johannson in ‘The Avengers’ was still heavily quick-cut-stunt-doubled. As The Filmographer noted, there are technological advances to address the issue of size and age (but apparently somehow not voice according to ‘TajGreeneMoviesInReview’) techniques to address actors physical inability is still the same. Jump cut editing, long/close range camera angling and frenetic camera work are all commonplace methods used obscure stunt-double dependency. They are the norm with slightly varying degrees of predominant usage in all prospective actresses listed in this article with the exception of Carano. Her constituency is not comprised of the likes of: Angelina Jolie, Kate Beckinsale, and Scarlett Johannson, but with: Jason Statham, Donnie Yen, Tony Jaa, Yanin Jeeja, Zoe Bell and the like.

As far as the acting is concerned, note the following:
    -‘Haywire’ received critical praise (80% RottenTomatoes score) and its lead, similar review.
    -It was Carano’s 1st time acting.
    -She was under mandate by Steven Soderbergh to not have an acting coach prep.

I submit that In a future project such as Wonder Woman, the disparity between Carano and all the rest is of much greater significance when it comes to action, then of acting.

• May 16, 2012 7:25 pm

APPLAUSE!!

I love your comment and reasoning shared here. Thank you for taking the time to do so. While I wasn’t a fan of Haywire, I felt Carano really proved she has what it takes.

Carano for the crown!

• J.Franks permalink
        May 21, 2012 1:14 pm

thank you, its sites like these that help teach lay ppl like myself alot.

more on character fit

Not only does Gina have the physicality of a real-life Wonder Woman, but also the sociology. This role is no stretch (a spy for hire). Her experience of:
        – tales of dating/dealing with civilians and fighters putting her in a precarious situations of their (im)masculinity vs her identity & sympathy (ex. those who confoundedly try to impress/test her with physicality)
        – detractors who feel threatened by her & respond with attacks on her femininity, despite her appealing appearance
        – both males and females dismissing her ability because of her beauty
        – living the pressure that Clare Luce Booth spoke of (“Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, “She doesn’t have what it takes.” They will say, “Women don’t have what it takes.”)

Her newbie-acting estimation of what would be Princess Diana’s excursion out of the pure matriarchy of Themyscira, is simple but essentially on – ‘Encino Man meets Superman from a female perspective’ You’ve got:
        – being a fish out of water in terms of era and atmosphere (as seen in the comedic elements of Capt. America in ‘The Avengers’ and ‘Thor’)
        – the humorous excursion of an uber-fem who has never seen men, much less being cognisant of gender norms.
        – the above lending to a naturally rich, non-forced, love interest relationship, unlike ‘Thor’, and of at least equal, if not more depth than in ‘Capt. America’.

• May 22, 2012 1:17 pm

I agree with you ten-fold and would love to see her as Wonder Woman.

She def proves that she and other women have what it takes to do so much. Carano all the way!

8. May 16, 2012 1:42 am

Hmmm, I voted for other and I would pick Rosario Dawson. She’s an amazing actress and I think she would be great in an action movie as a superhero.

• May 16, 2012 7:27 pm

Rosario! I wasn’t even thinking of her. I suppose she would be a pretty neat choice. Although I think she’d be a little bit better as a different superhero perhaps IMO. Thanks for voting. i appreciate you chiming in.

9. May 16, 2012 2:29 am

I am with Gina! When we were watching Haywire last week, my wife who is a life long wonder woman fan, siad she would be perfect for the role. I trust her judgement

• May 16, 2012 7:27 pm

Your wife and I have similar ideas! How awesome!

and way to go with your wife’s judgment! 😉 You are a wise man

10. May 16, 2012 6:40 am

Hmmm.. Scarlett Jo is here…I bet I know who you are hoping to win the vote 😉

• May 16, 2012 12:04 pm

Yep, seems like she’s always present in T’s polls 😀

• May 16, 2012 7:29 pm

😀

• May 16, 2012 7:28 pm

haha. Believe it or not, I’d much rather see her just stay with Black Widow. But she could def pull off being Wonder Woman! 🙂

11. May 16, 2012 6:49 pm

I went with Gemma Arterton because she’s the only one on your list that I have on my list! http://wp.me/pVsDX-rU

I haven’t seen Haywire, but the fight scene is good – based on the other comments, I don’t know how well she could play Wonder Woman, though.

So let me ask this – do you think Wonder Woman can fit into the current DC film universe with Nolan’s Batman and the new Superman? I’m internally debating if Wonder Woman should be a period flick, like Captain America in WWII, or maybe Cold War era, or if they should modernize her like the new character designs in the comics.

• May 16, 2012 7:31 pm

A good question. I just got off of work and am headed to dinner. Let me think on that and come back and answer! Thanks for visiting and voting today!

• May 21, 2012 8:48 pm

Okay, I am ready to answer this. I do not really think that WW can fit into the current DC film universe IF they try to keep it like the Linda Carter WW series…(don’t get me wrong, Carter was great).

But, if they pay better tribute to Diana’s origin (similar to Thor’s), then I think that would work. I’d much rather prefer to see a Thor-ish Wonder Woman film as opposed to a Captain America-ish Wonder Woman myself. DC has done a great job at modernizing Batman and Superman…I’d want to see them continue that trend.

It will take a good writer and director and leading lady to accomplish this. But, it can be done.

12. May 20, 2012 2:07 pm

Thanks. I had never seen that Palicki WW intro clip. Now I’m even more pissed we never got to see that show. 😦

• May 22, 2012 1:26 pm

Yeah, I had to post it. I really wanted to see the show. I think the pilot episode is available online. But watching it may just make you even more ticked off that the show didnt’ get picked up.

13. May 20, 2012 4:11 pm

Gina all the way. I just did a WW dream cast on my blog. Great post!

• May 22, 2012 1:25 pm

Nice! I just saw it! Super impressed that you picked Carano! and Linda Carter…nice touch there!

• May 22, 2012 5:12 pm

What amazed me is just how much Carter looked like Hippolyta.

• May 23, 2012 9:55 am

Very much so!

14. Sherry permalink
    May 21, 2012 10:32 pm

Vanessa Hudgens would be a good candidate. I loved her in Sucker Punch and think she could pull of Diana as well as Wonder woman.. I mean, wow.. have you seen her in fishnets? Cute but tough.

• May 22, 2012 12:48 pm

Thanks for voting Sherry! I just don’t think I could bring myself to watch a Vanessa Hudgens Wonder Woman.

15. May 22, 2012 10:58 am

I didn’t vote during this because I didn’t like any of the choices & couldn’t think of wh my “other” would be until this morning. I think Olivia Wilde would make a great WW, she has this quiet, confident strength in her appearance I think she could pull it off..

• May 22, 2012 12:52 pm

Thanks for stopping in and joining in on the fun here. The Wonder Woman poll was a lot of fun to host. I like the fact that you took the time to think about your answer, I’m just sorry to tell you that I can’t agree on Olivia Wilde. I can’t see her as the loud, confident, and brash princess. And I’m not even taking her build into consideration, because…that can be changed of course through the magic of movies.

I do think that Olivia Wilde would make a great Black Cat though! 🙂

• May 22, 2012 3:49 pm

I can agree to disagree LOL… although I must say I was basing it on her acting on House where she is “loud, confident, and brash,” and a bit arrogant; not unlike a princess. 😉

• May 23, 2012 9:58 am

haha! yep, you’re right. agree to disagree, but I love the fact that you can defend your argument. I look forward to more! 😀

16. May 22, 2012 11:27 am

If she were to be chosen for the part, that would be one movie I would have to take a pass on…lol

• May 22, 2012 11:37 am

aww! hahaha. Carano would be perfect though!

1. It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 100 « The Focused Filmographer