Movie News Monday for May 21, 2012

May 21, 2012

Welcome to this week’s edition of “Movie News Monday!” (“MNM!”)!! What is ‘MNM’all about?

In case this is your first time here, “Movie News Monday!” (MNM) is the place to visit every Monday for a quick recap of trending entertainment news! I’ve collected info, rumors, etc from all over just for you to keep you updated on movies being released, actors/actresses in roles, dvd releases to keep a lookout for, which movie won in the box office over the weekend, etc! Are you ready for your weekly update? Here it is!

This Just In!!…

#1- “The Weekend Winner.”  This past weekend, The Avengers DICTATED the outcome of the box office by sinking a BATTLESHIP, but, I mean, what else were you EXPECTING? (See what I did there?) The Avengers, once again, took the #1 spot in the box office. Smashing even more records, The Avengers is now #4 on the list of the highest grossing movies of all time!! Wow. Well, in case you kind of forgot,  three wide new releases did hit theaters to try to fight against The Avengers.

And here’s how they fared…

Here are the weekend’s estimated results for Fri, May 18 -Sun, May 20:

1. The Avengers ~$55M
  2. Battleship ~$25.3M
  3. The Dictator ~$17.4M
  4. Dark Shadows ~$12.7M
  5. What to Expect When You’re Expecting ~$10.5M
  6. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel ~$3.5M
  7. The Hunger Games ~$3M
  8. Think Like a Man ~$2.7M
  9. The Lucky One ~$1.7M
  10. The Pirates! Band of Misfits ~$1.4M

Congrats AGAIN to The Avengers for winning the box office! If you haven’t seen it yet, you had better do so!

#2- “Bond is Back!” Last week, the new poster for 007’s Skyfall released with promise of the new trailer posting soon. Well, that day has arrived! I am SO glad that 2012 is here. This year just absolutely ROCKS with awesome movies! Here is the newly released teaser trailer for Skyfall:

Tell me that you’re not excited to see it. Go ahead. haha.

Starring Daniel Craig, Judi Dench, Ralph Fiennes, Albert Finney, Javier Bardem, Ben Whishaw, and many more, the 23rd Bond flick, Skyfall releases on November 9, 2012.

Are you ready for November’s BOND?

#3- “Robin Williams is ANGRY.” The Angriest Man in Brooklyn, actually. Williams is set to star alongside Mila Kunis, Melissa Leo, and James Earl Jones in an upcoming movie that Landscape Entertainment and Force Majeure are producing.

According to Screen Daily:

[It is] the story of a stand-in doctor who mistakenly tells an obnoxious patient he has 90 minutes to live. The medic tries desperately to locate the man after her comments sends him on a contrite tour of the city to right all the wrongs in his life.

Production is set to begin this upcoming September in Brooklyn and several of those involved in the project are very excited for it, including Cargo Entertainment CEO and, of course, Robin Williams himself…who had this to say:

“I read the script and said wow!” Williams said. “I love the fact that it’s so fun and honest. The idea of being that nasty and funny is a gift.”

Look for more news on this as developments come about.

What do you think of this film so far?

#4- “The Darkest Tour.” The Dark Knight Rises arrives in theaters on July 20th, but prior to that The Tumbler and the Bat-Pod will be travelling cross country for fans to be able to check out the infamous rides of the caped crusader!

I am stoked because something famous will actually be rolling through MY neighborhood for once! ha. (I already have the day off requested!)

The tour has already started (May 12) and continues through ~July 7! Don’t miss your chance to see and take pictures of/with Batman’s rides in real life before the movie releases. Here is the official site with dates and locations of each stop of the tour http://www.tumblertour.com/

Is the Bat tour coming to a city near you?

#5- “This Week’s Blu-ray release.” This week, look for the following films on Blu-ray to possibly add to your collection:

Red Tails– The latest tale of the famous Tuskegee Airmen of WWII with an all-star cast hits stores this week! I very much enjoyed this high-flying film and look forward to watching it again. Check it out. (Read my REVIEW)

Several other films also release this week. Check it out!

Also releasing: The Woman in Black (Read my REVIEW), This Means War (Read my REVIEW), and The Secret World of Arrietty (Read my REVIEW)

Well, that’s it for this round of “Movie News Monday!”

up next: “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

1. Paula permalink
    May 21, 2012 9:41 am

Wow…I know trailers are meant to whip up excitement for a movie…but i think I won’t be exaggerating when I say…SKYFALL is gonna be awesome!
    Re: Tumbler Tour…the nearest it’s going to get to me is a couple of hours away…it might be worth it though.
    Thanks for the updates T!

• May 22, 2012 1:21 pm

Get ready for NOVEMBER 9!! woohoo.

Ooh, I’ll be interested in knowing if you decide to just go see the Tumbler!

2. Trevor permalink
    May 21, 2012 9:44 am

Well…looks like I’m taking the day off in June also. What better excuse to take a day off than to take the family down to see the Tumbler?

• May 22, 2012 1:19 pm

ROAD TRIP!!! haha

3. May 21, 2012 10:43 am

I finally got around to seeing the Avengers with my dad on saturday:)

And Skyfall better be good. I am relying on it for FD points after all 🙂

• May 22, 2012 1:19 pm

glad you got to see it. Did you enjoy it? I will visit your page to see if you got a review for it yet.

• May 22, 2012 2:11 pm

Yeah. And i don’t have a review up for it yet, but i may include it in my next batch of mini-reviews

4. May 21, 2012 1:09 pm

Skyfall looks so epic. Look forward to seeing pics of you with the Bat vehicles!

• May 22, 2012 1:19 pm

Thanks Pete! I am really looking forward to being there and sharing the experience with you all. 5 weeks!

5. May 21, 2012 3:07 pm

Skyfall looks brilliant and I can’t wait for it but was slightly disappointed by the trailer because it didn’t feel Bond enough. Kind of wanted the theme over the top or something like that?

• May 22, 2012 1:06 pm

I know what you mean with the trailer Ben. Thanks for pointing that out. I was hoping for just a little bit more, but, it is just a teaser afterall I suppose. Wait for the real trailer.
      I’m actually waiting for the Man of Steel trailer. No idea when that trailer comes out yet, but I’m hoping for it to come out with TDKR

• May 22, 2012 2:12 pm

I’d completely forgotten about Man of Steel to be honest. A new trailer for that in the coming weeks/months would be brilliant!

• May 23, 2012 10:01 am

“I’d completely forgotten about Man of Steel to be honest.” –one of the saddest comments of all time! 😉 haha

• May 24, 2012 7:38 am

I know, I’m ashamed of myself!

• May 24, 2012 8:31 am

haha.

6. May 21, 2012 4:19 pm

I really should try Shawarma soon, ahah, that pic always brings a smile to my face 🙂 Loving that Skyfall trailer, my hubby showed it to me in bed this morning, definitely made me wake up, ha..ha.. looks awesome!

Darn it, that Tumbler Tour doesn’t come to MN!! Bummer!!!

• May 22, 2012 1:05 pm

Do you have a Shawarma place near you up there, Ruth? I really want to try it! haha.

I’m sorry you don’t get to check out the Tumbler. But, I will take you there in spirit!

7. May 21, 2012 4:54 pm

Yikes! James Bond is going up against Keyser Soze!

• May 22, 2012 1:04 pm

It’s going to be super epic!

8. May 22, 2012 1:55 am

How cool to get to see the Tumbler!! Well Jell!

• May 22, 2012 12:47 pm

I will be sure to take plenty of pics and post them.

9. May 22, 2012 6:13 pm

That James Bond trailer didn’t do much other than say “Hey, its a James Bond movie.”

• May 23, 2012 9:54 am

I really do agree with you hear, Ian, but I look forward to the full trailer having that “bond” factor

10. May 23, 2012 11:13 am

I enjoyed the Skyfall trailer, looks exciting! I’m mostly interested in the south Asia location seen in the trailer, it was so beautiful. Also “The Angriest Man in Brooklyn” has an interesting plot; a lot of hilarious things could result from such a situation.

• May 23, 2012 1:14 pm

Thank you for commenting on Robin Williams’ story. I am curious to see how that plays out. It looks like it will be fun

1. Movie News Monday for May 21, 2012 « The Focused Filmographer | Upcoming Movie Releases