New Posters of the Week (5/26)

May 26, 2012

Today, we once again get to take a look at all of the…

Gotta love movie posters! The time and effort it takes to put some of these masterpieces together pays off! With teases of what to expect from the featured film, posters are one of my favorite things to collect. If you love movie posters like I do, then you are likely to enjoy the latest ones of the week!

There are some neat ones this week, including the first poster for Ender’s Game, two new posters for The Dark Knight Rises that are pretty sweet, and a poster for The Great Gatsby.

Take a look: (To view the fullscreen slideshow, click on any one of the posters below and scroll through with the arrow keys.)

Well, what do you think? Which ones are your favorites in this week’s spotlight? I personally like Ender’s Game, The Dark Knight Rises (featuring Catwoman’s heel)and 360.

Leave a comment! 🙂

To see past editions of this post (Spotlight on New Posters of the Week), click HERE. (posters courtesy ImpAwards)

Have a great day!

1. Trevor permalink
    May 26, 2012 9:51 am

I’m supposed to believe that’s really Nicholas Cage on that poster?

I’ve also played too many video games when everything in the Great Gatsby trailer/poster makes me think “It’s like Bioshock but before they go crazy!”

• May 26, 2012 10:11 am

Applause all around for this comment!

Nic Cage? with a lot of photoshop no doubt! See his hair? We know, according to the Nic Cage “hair” rule, that this movie is not going to be good.

Nic Cage Hair Rule: In recent years, one can determine how bad Cage’s movies will be based on the length of his hair. The longer the hair, the worse the movie! haha

2. May 26, 2012 11:40 am

Agree with Catwoman, that’s a strong contender for the poster I’ll use for my eventual review of the movie. The Snow White poster seems really odd, almost everything I’ve seen up to this point has a lot of muted colors, and yet this poster is really vibrant and colorful. Seems rather misleading.

• May 29, 2012 10:14 am

That Catwoman one is a pretty sweet poster undoubtedly. So many posters for TDKR have launched.

interesting point on the “misleading” of SWATH. I think they are still trying to tell a story of beauty (outward..the Queen, and inward..Snow White). it will be interesting to see it play out.

Thanks for discussing the posters this week!

3. yaykisspurr permalink
    May 26, 2012 2:15 pm

The Ender’s Game poster looks like an amateur did it…though I’m looking forward to the movie. I really liked the Snow White and the Huntsman poster if they’d take out Snow White and put in the Huntsman…hehe Cheers!

• May 29, 2012 10:12 am

🙂 Thanks for discussing the posters this week. I am excited to see what the next posters for The Ender’s Game will be like. SWATH this weekend! woohoo

4. May 27, 2012 1:39 am

Ted made me laugh. But then I’m easily amused…

• May 29, 2012 10:10 am

haha. nothing wrong with that. Are you a Seth MacFarlane fan?

5. May 27, 2012 3:34 am

Wow, some early teasers in there, including ones where I hadn’t heard of the movies yet (Marble City, 360, 1 out of 7). Marble City looks to be a new contender for the crown of “most gloriously stupid film in Nic Cage’s career”; the poster design and the amazingly corny slogan and the character design all point that way to me. 1 out of 7 looks like it’s probably a depressing drama about illness. It’s a very effective poster, but I don’t want to see it. 360‘s poster tells me nothing.

The Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter foreign poster made me think of The Shadow before I zoomed in close enough to see it properly. Snow White and the Huntsman has a very pretty poster, but it doesn’t fit the mood of the rest of their marketing. The Ender’s Game poster looks amateurish, as yaykisspurr stated; also, that slogan will mean very little to anybody who hasn’t read the book.

Best poster of the week? Honestly, I’m going with The Great Gatsby. Without showing a single character or scene, it still does a lot to say what kind of program it’ll be.

• May 29, 2012 10:09 am

Thank YOU!!! I immediately thought about The Shadow too when I saw AL:VH poster! Great call.

See now, I like The Great Gatsby…good choice btw…I just didn’t like it to be my favorite poster. I can’t explain it. But I will say I am glad that it’s not a boring collage of faces.

Thanks for discussing the posters of the week.

6. jackdeth72 permalink
    May 27, 2012 8:56 am

Hi, Terrence and company:

Intriguing batch of posters today.

Who stuck Nicholas Cage’s head on top of Master Master Chief’s body?… And why?

‘Madagascar 3”s poster is WAY too loud.

I like the poster for ‘Ted’. Very simplistic and to the point.

Geeez…. I thought five inch stiletto heeled boots were strictly reserved for glossy Fetish and B&D magazines. How does Ann Hathaway’s Catwoman plan to ride a motorcycle, run and fight in those?

PS: Drop by Paula’s. I have a response to your comment and query I think you’ll enjoy.

• May 29, 2012 10:08 am

Hey Kevin,

fantastic comment about Marble City! hhaha. Had me rollin.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who despises that Madagascar 3 poster. YUCK.

Oh, and I saw your comment and replied again!

7. May 27, 2012 10:08 am

I saw the TDKR one w/ the stiletto heel but didn’t notice the lips and XX thing at the bottom, ahah. Somehow it makes it look like Catwoman’s a call girl or something, very provocative! 😉

That art deco style of Gatsby is pretty cool, the trailer however, worries me a bit.

• jackdeth72 permalink
      May 27, 2012 2:27 pm

Hi, Ruth:

A woman’s point of view is always welcome. 🙂

I get the vibe that TDKR’s marketing department(s) are going for a Dominatrix vibe. Which didn’t work out all that well for Michelle Pfeiffer in ‘Batman Returns’ and probably won’t work well here, either. Keep Selina Kyle a high end Cat Burglar with a thing for her nemesis, The Dark Knight’ and away from other distractions.

• May 29, 2012 10:05 am

I really do like the catwoman one quite a bit.

and you and I share some of the same thoughts on the Gatsby one.

8. May 27, 2012 11:40 am

Whoa, and Ender’s Game poster? Doesn’t show anything, but I didn’t realize they were that far along yet.

The 360 poster is brutal. The four faces thing does most mesh well, especially comared to how well taht same idea was done last year with Ides of March.

I like the Batman poster, and the Gatsby design also looks cool.

• May 29, 2012 10:03 am

Thanks for checking out the posters, Ian. You’re right, Ides of March did the face-blending better, but I still do like the 360 poster…don’t think I’ll be adding it to my collection though. Kinda weird having those eyes looking at ya. haha

9. May 27, 2012 3:45 pm

Loads of great posters this week. The Catwoman poster is brilliant. The Possession poster is the kind of subtle, simple poster that is really effective and I love the RED 2 poster for the same reasons. Marble City has got to be the trippiest poster though? It looks like Photoshop done badly on purpose?! I’ve never even heard of this film?

• May 29, 2012 10:00 am

man, I think so many of us can go ahead and nominate Marble City as one of the WORST movie posters of the year! hahah

10. May 27, 2012 6:38 pm

The Dark Knight Rises posters are fantastic. Not sure which of the two I like most, to be honest! I like the “Gatsby” poster, it’s elegant and fancy. That Nicholas Cage poster? No.

11. May 28, 2012 1:46 am

HAHAHAH What is THAT!! (points at the cage poster)?

Happy Monday

12. May 28, 2012 1:55 pm

I honestly can’t believe how bad that first TDKR poster is. It’s just … ugh. Badly photoshopped from previous posters. What’s even the point!?

• May 29, 2012 9:58 am

haha. my thought exactly Jaina. I saw it as rather lazy. But the use of color in contrast to the dark posters is nice to see though.