It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 101

May 29, 2012

What is “Time to Vote Tuesday”?:

Last week’s poll, Tough Choices has now closed with 28 votes. There was a close race between 2 of the 4 actors. Who did you vote for as the best out of Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington, Will Smith, and Samuel L. Jackson? Be sure to visit and see which of the 4 barely won. Click HERE.

I wish to thank you everyone that voted in last week’s polls, shared it with others, and made it fun with your comments!

In this edition of ‘TVT’ this week’s poll, entitled “This is Elfman Day”, we celebrate the birthday of one of my favorite movie soundtrack composers, Danny Elfman.

Today, May 29, 2012, is composer Danny Elfman’s 59th birthday! It’s time to PARTY!!

Let’s take a look at some of the movies that Danny Elfman has done the music for! I guarantee you’ve seen at least one! 🙂

Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Darkman, Spider-Man 1-2, Big Fish, Batman, Batman Returns, Mars Attacks!, Mission Impossible, Alice in Wonderland, Good Will Hunting, Flubber, Spy Kids, Instinct, Planet of the Apes, Red Dragon, Men in Black 1-3, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Nacho Libre, Hulk, The Wolfman, Real Steel, Dark Shadows, Terminator Salvation, The Corpse Bride, Sleepy Hollow, The Next Three Days, and many, many more! Wow! He sure does know how to tickle the ivories!

For a sample of some of his musical masterpieces, here is a compilation video with snippets from several movies.

This Academy-Award Nominee, known for often working in collaboration with director Tim Burton was unaware of his talent for musical composition until the early 1970’s when he and his brother started a musical troupe in Paris called “Mystic Knights of Oingo-Boingo.” The name later was shortened to simply “Oingo-Boingo” and when Burton, a fan of the group, befriended him, he requested that he do the soundtrack for PeeWee’s Big Adventure (Elfman’s first orchestral score). His track record has been growing ever since!

I, of course, enjoy his work on Spider-Man, but he has done so much, including televisions programs. Heard the theme song for Batman: The Animated Series, or a little show called The Simpsons? Yep, Elfman!

Today I ask you (You can choose up to 3):

So, Happy Birthday Danny Elfman! Thank you for so many great soundtracks. Without music, it is nigh impossible to enjoy a movie. You make it possible and highly enjoyable! We dance and celebrate with you today!

The poll closes on 6-5-12 and the results will post on next week’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

***Don’t forget: For additional polls, updates, trailers, news, and more, become a fan/follower on Facebook and Twitter.

1. May 29, 2012 9:53 am

Scissors and the Bat for me. Getting a bit tired of a lot of Elfman’s stuff though now.

• May 29, 2012 9:55 am

I kinda understand what you mean, but for me, it has more to do with Tim Burton. If Elfman ventured to work with other directors more often, perhaps he would try a few more different styles and really step out of the haunting soundtracks he is known for. I appreciate all the work he does though. That’s talent.

2. Trevor permalink
    May 29, 2012 10:00 am

Elfman does no wrong in my eyes. “Dead Man’s Party” from Oingo Boingo was the first tape I ever owned when I was like 6 years old and I still have that very same tape. I’ve gotten both of my kids hooked on Oingo Boingo.

The dude is a musical genius. End of story.

• May 29, 2012 10:11 am

TRUE STORY! Wow, that’s impressive. the first tape you ever owned. Pretty awesome. Didn’t know you were a big Elfman fan. I love his work as well. Thanks for chiming in today.

3. May 29, 2012 10:23 am

Edward Scissor Hands and Nightmare Before Christmas for me. I’ve got a little bored of his more recent scores though. Alice in Wonderland was very beautiful.

Didn’t Tim and Danny have a falling out at one point?

• May 29, 2012 10:26 am

I’m not sure. I really don’t know if they did or didn’t. and I can’t find anything yet that says so. That’s very interesting to hear. I will try to see if I can find anything on it. If you do, let me know!

Thanks for voting today. Edward Scissorhands seems to be the favorite so far!

4. jackdeth72 permalink
    May 29, 2012 10:24 am

Hi, Terrence and company:

I, as usual, went with ‘Other’.

Elfman’s work on ‘The Simpsons’ theme is superb, but his theme for ‘Batman: The Animated Series’ is AWESOME!

So moody, strong and powerful along with a live orchestra, flawless, old school, cel animation (Barring the quickly glimpsed cel dust mar on Batman’s chin in very early episodes) that name ‘Batman’ was never present in its introduction. Because it’s not needed.

• May 29, 2012 10:29 am

I will take your “OTHER” and accept it gladly since it goes to Batman: TAS. I own every volume of TAS on dvd. Love it. Although, I will say that the theme from TAS is borrowed from the theme used in the score for BATMAN…so, your vote could’ve gone there. 😀

haha and bravo on mentioning the dust mar. I was watching the commentaries on it and they said they couldn’t get rid of it on that slide and therefore just had to stay there. I think it’s awesome, your attention to detail there.

What’s your favorite episode of the series?

• jackdeth72 permalink
        May 29, 2012 11:12 am

Hi, Terrence:

Wow!

Great question!

Volume 1: ‘Heart of Ice’. A taut action story wrapped around the melancholy that is Dr. Fries.

Volume 2: ‘Heart of Steel’. For its story, cool morphing robots, William Sanderson and the creation of HARDAC.

Volume 3: ‘A Bullet for Bullock’. A Non Bat-Centic story that focuses on a strong secondary character, who neither love nor respect.

Of these three, I’d go with ‘Heart of Ice’. Michael Ansara’s voice is perfect for Fries!

• May 30, 2012 7:29 pm

Some EXCELLENT choices here. Heart of Ice is such a sad tale. I do like that one quite a bit.

Glad to find a fellow Batman:TAS fan! I may have to ask you to do a guest post on the series soon. What do you think?

• Trevor permalink
        May 29, 2012 2:50 pm

I don’t care how cheesy or overplayed it is but I think “Almost Got ‘Im” is the greatest, most creative use of the Rogue’s Gallery ever.

I still covet the original cell animation piece I saw at the WB Store back home in San Diego that I was always too young and too poor to purchase.

But you’re right. The score and animation alone is all you needed to know what you were watching for that opening sequence. In fact, the only time you ever actually see Batman is at the end and he’s illuminated by a lighting strike. Other than that, nothing but shadows and glowing eyes.

• May 29, 2012 2:55 pm

Almost Got ‘im is one of my absolute favorites actually too. I really love when Croc is telling his story! haha

• May 29, 2012 10:29 am

btw, you know I put “Other” in there a lot now for you! You often bring more to the table that 1)I didn’t think about, or 2)I didn’t know about, thus allowing me to learn!

• jackdeth72 permalink
        May 30, 2012 9:13 pm

Hi, Terrence:

Thanks so much for adding the ‘Other’ option. It’s cool that you offer every chance possible to expand the horizons of the conversation.

Kudos to Trevor for ‘Almost Got ‘im’. A great villains’ point of view story loaded with mood and shadows.

I’d be up for guest review of ‘Batman: TAS’.

• June 1, 2012 10:02 am

Sweet! I will hit you up soon. That is exciting!

5. May 29, 2012 10:48 am

Very timely poll! I just watched Edward Scissorhands for the first time last night, and I fell in love with the soundtrack. That gets my vote for sure.

• May 30, 2012 7:31 pm

I must admit I’ve never finished Edward Scissorhands. Glad that one got your vote!

6. May 29, 2012 11:24 am

I’m not too familiar w/ his work but I do like the MI score so I voted for that. He did the Burton’s Batman score right, I do like that one a lot!

• May 30, 2012 7:28 pm

Hooray for Batman! As noted here earlier, you don’t even need to watch it when it is playing to know it is indeed Batman!

7. May 29, 2012 3:38 pm

Batman wins hands down. Its such a cool theme and the Animated Series theme may actually have been better (if it wasn’t the same, think they were very similar.) I also love the BeetleJuice theme, the piano on that is incredible.

8. May 31, 2012 6:31 am

This really is one I can’t answer as I never seem to notice film music! That probably means it’s doing it’s job in enhancing the movie going experience.

• June 1, 2012 10:02 am

Well said! Never thought of it that way.

1. It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 102 « The Focused Filmographer