It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 102

June 5, 2012

What is “Time to Vote Tuesday”?:

Last week’s poll, This is Elfman Day has now closed with 42 votes. There was a close race that actually ended with a tie for first place. Which movie featuring Danny Elfman’s music did you vote for? Be sure to check out the results of last week’s poll. Click HERE.

I wish to thank you everyone that voted in last week’s polls, shared it with others, and made it fun with your comments!

In this edition of ‘TVT’ this week’s poll, entitled “Academy Acknowledgement”, we take a quick look at the Best Picture winners from 2000 to now. There have been 12 Best Picture Winners at the Oscars:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

1. 2000 –Gladiator
  2. 2001 –A Beautiful Mind
  3. 2002 –Chicago
  4. 2003 –The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
  5. 2004 –Million Dollar Baby
  6. 2005 –Crash
  7. 2006 –The Departed
  8. 2007 –No Country for Old Men
  9. 2008 –Slumdog Millionaire
  10. 2009 –The Hurt Locker
  11. 2010 –The King’s Speech
  12. 2011 –The Artist

Just how big of a Best Picture Movie Buff ARE you?

Today I ask you:

Are you a Millennial Movie Master?! Are you a Disinterested Decliner? haha! Make your title known. 🙂 Leave a comment! I am a Cinematic Connoisseur! How about you? Which ones are missing from your “resume”?

The poll closes on 6-12-12 and the results will post on next week’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

***Don’t forget: For additional polls, updates, trailers, news, and more, become a fan/follower on Facebook and Twitter.

1. June 5, 2012 9:29 am

I’m with you. Just need to see King’s Speech and Chicago. No real interest in the latter though and very little for the former to be honest!

• June 8, 2012 10:13 am

I will tell ya, Pete, The King’s Speech was one of the best biopics I’ve seen. Far better than I expected it to be. Hope you get a chance to see it. You can still avoid Chicago though

2. June 5, 2012 9:43 am

Not a Lord of the Rings fan, so no way I would see that. I missed the Artist, but hope to catch it on video. All others I have seen 😉

• June 5, 2012 5:15 pm

Too bad you didn’t see Artist in theaters. Best experience I’ve ever had in a cinema.

• June 8, 2012 10:12 am

i didn’t realize you weren’t a fan of LOTR. Wow.

but you MUST see The Artist. Now! ha

• June 11, 2012 8:26 am

I tried to watch LOTR once and found myself bored to death…lol. The Artist is on my radar, and will def see it

• June 11, 2012 10:34 pm

haha. Whaaaa? bored? LOL. Too funny my friend!

I, for some reason, thought you had already seen The Artist. Ah, you are def in for a treat (imo).

3. Trevor permalink
    June 5, 2012 9:46 am

I’m pretty sure I’m going to refuse to ever watch The Artist. Mostly because I complain about remakes all the time and how much more of a remake can you get then “remember when he had absolutely no technology to make movies? Man those were the days, lets redo that.” It also just comes off as pretentious hipster garbage to me.

“Oh, your favorite movie has audio and words in it? That’s cool. I watch movies only before the advent of audio recording.”

Other than that, Hurt Locker, King’s Speech, Slumdog, and Million Dollar Baby are all on the list to see eventually.

• June 5, 2012 5:16 pm

Artist isn’t a remake and I’d highly recommend it. My favorite of last year.

• June 8, 2012 10:09 am

I really did enjoy The Artist quite a bit myself

• June 8, 2012 10:12 am

I also hope you check out The Artist if you have a chance. I really enjoyed it as it was so much more the opposite of “pretentious hipster garbage” 🙂 haha

out of what you still have to see, The King’s Speech gets my vote!

4. June 5, 2012 10:11 am

Great poll! Yay, I’m a cinematic connoisseur with 9, ahah. Still need to see Million Dollar Baby and The Departed, though I’m not interested in seeing No Country for Old Men.

• June 5, 2012 5:11 pm

See The Departed IMMEDIATELY, but skip Million Dollar Baby. Can’t figure out why it won Best Picture.

• June 6, 2012 11:55 am

Ahah ok. We actually rented The Departed but I think my hubby ended up watching it without me, can’t remember why exactly.

• June 8, 2012 10:02 am

I can only watch The Departed every so often. Way too much profanity for my taste, but still a good movie. I still need to watch the original on which it is based/remade.

• June 8, 2012 10:04 am

Yeah, that’s one of the things that have kept me from watching. Another movie I love that I can’t watch that often is Rocknrolla. Such a fun movie but the foul language is just too much.

• June 8, 2012 10:11 am

9! Yes!

Oh, and you’re not missing much in No Country For Old Men…but you already know I don’t like that one.

Thanks for voting

5. jackdeth72 permalink
    June 5, 2012 10:32 am

Hi, Terrence and company:

Never have been a ‘Lord of the Rings’ fan. Passed on ‘Chicago’, ‘Million Dollar Baby’, ‘Slumdog Milllionaire’ and ‘The King’s Speech’.

I admire Kathryn Bigelow’s efforts with ‘The Hurt Locker’, Though the film is nowhere close to Academy Award caliber. A less than stellar attempt by Hollywood’s aged, inept and irrelevant femnists to give a major award to a woman.

It was fun to watch Barbra Streisand’s seething green envy when giving the award for Best Picture to Ms. Bigelow

‘The Artist’ tells a tale well. Even if some of it feels kind of gimmicky. It’s nice to see B&W mesh with silent again.

• June 5, 2012 5:14 pm

See Chicago and The King’s Speech. I pity you for not having seen slumdog , because it’s my all time favorite. Skip MDB it’s stupid.

• jackdeth72 permalink
        June 8, 2012 10:46 am

Hi, Cinemaniac:

Not much of a Richard Gere fan. If I want to watch classic Bob Fosse choreography, I’ll catch Roy Scheider in ‘All That Jazz’. Or Liza Minnelli and Joel Gray in ‘Caberet’.

If I want British melodrama, I’ll opt for Albert Finney’s superb WWII Winston Churchill in HBO’s ‘The Gathering Storm’.

Have no need or desire to see ‘Slumdog Millionaire’. Overall, I’d rather watch the UK/German mini-series, ‘Traffik’.

• June 8, 2012 4:55 pm

I still pity you for having something you’d rather watch over something phenomenal like Slumdog. :/

• June 8, 2012 10:10 am

It seems that a lot of people share your sentiments about The Hurt Locker.

6. June 5, 2012 5:10 pm

I’m a Cinematic Connoisseur too! I’ve seen all of them there except Gladiator, Crash, No Country for Old Men, and The Hurt Locker.

• June 8, 2012 10:10 am

Congrats and thank you for checking out the poll and voting today. Although I will say, you need to hurry up and see Gladiator! Yesterday!

• June 8, 2012 4:57 pm

Well, I’ve been trying to see many BP’s off my list. In fact, I just finished watching The Godfather Part II less than 5 minutes ago, and I’m about to review it, haha. But I’m only 14, so I need to get permission to see Gladiator. I requested my parents’ (or my father’s, because he remembers movies much better than my mother) permission right after we watched Braveheart, and he said Gladiator’s even more bloody and violent than Braveheart. So I guess that’ll have to wait, sorry…

7. June 6, 2012 1:50 am

I did all 12, do I get a prize????

• June 8, 2012 10:05 am

All 12??!! YES! You do get a prize! I baked you an awesome gigantic cookie…but I ate it. sorry! 😀

8. June 6, 2012 3:23 am

Have seen them all and still don’t understand why Chicago got picked…

• June 8, 2012 10:03 am

Ooh! All 12 huh? Awesome. Which one is your favorite?

• June 11, 2012 1:24 am

That’s a hard one. It would probably be The Departed…..

• June 11, 2012 10:38 pm

still, a good solid choice!

9. June 6, 2012 8:59 am

Fun poll. I still need to see A Beautiful Mind and Chicago.

• June 8, 2012 10:02 am

Thanks Eric. Appreciate you voting this week.

10. June 6, 2012 12:37 pm

I surprised myself here… only have Chicago and The Artist to see and I’ll be happy to skip Chicago.

• June 8, 2012 10:01 am

yes! skip Chicago and go straight to The Artist!

11. Ted S. permalink
    June 6, 2012 3:57 pm

I saw all of the films on the list except Chicago, King’s Speech and The Artist, not sure if I’ll ever watch them to be honest. I thought Crash was an overrated piece of garbage, not sure how it won best picture or got such a high praise. I guess the rest of the films deserved their Oscar win, speaking about the ones I saw of course.

• June 8, 2012 10:00 am

Ah yes, I remember how much you loathe Crash. You and I will def have to agree to disagree on that one. LOL.

I’m surprised you hadn’t seen The King’s Speech and The Artist actually. Although, I don’t blame you for skipping Chicago

12. June 8, 2012 12:41 am

I’ve seen everything except The Artist! And that’s on my Netflix queue. 🙂

• June 8, 2012 9:55 am

I look forward to you watching The Artist. hmm, so, question…having seen 11 of the 12, which is the best in your opinion?

13. June 10, 2012 6:21 am

I am not watching movies because they won Oscar. I never really care about Oscar anyway…Probably I am the only movie blogger (tho not 100% movie blogger) who didn’t even post about previous Oscar.
    In that list, II have only seen Gladiator (in TV), Crash (in DVD) and LOTR and King’s Speech both are in cinema.

• June 13, 2012 11:01 am

It’s okay to not watch a movie because it won. I can understand that, but some of them are still deserving a view or two. 🙂 Thanks for voting. What are your thoughts on Crash?

14. June 10, 2012 10:49 pm

I’ve seen them all except The Artist. Not sure if I’ll ever be able to stomach that one. 🙂

• June 11, 2012 10:39 pm

Really? Now, you surprise me here, Brian! in 2 ways: Not having already seen it, and not wanting to see it. wow. 😀