Movie News Monday for June 18, 2012

June 18, 2012

Welcome to this week’s edition of “Movie News Monday!” (“MNM!”)!! What is ‘MNM’all about?

In case this is your first time here, “Movie News Monday!” (MNM) is the place to visit every Monday for a quick recap of trending entertainment news! I’ve collected info, rumors, etc from all over just for you to keep you updated on movies being released, actors/actresses in roles, dvd releases to keep a lookout for, which movie won in the box office over the weekend, etc! Are you ready for your weekly update? Here it is!

This Just In!!…

#1- “The Weekend Winner.”  This past weekend, the #1 spot in the box office went to neither one of the 2 wide new releases. Tom Cruise rocked it out at 3rd place while Adam Sandler’s movie spawned in at #5. So, which movie won the top spot over the weekend? Well, the answer to that would be Madagascar 3 which hit the $100M mark with $120M overall gross in two weeks.

Here are the weekend’s estimated results for Fri, June 15 -Sun, June 17:

1. Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted ~$35.5M
  2. Prometheus ~$20M
  3. Rock of Ages ~$15M
  4. Snow White and the Huntsman ~$13.8M
  5. That’s My Boy ~$13M
  6. Men in Black 3 ~$10M
  7. The Avengers ~$8.8M
  8. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel ~$2.2M
  9. Moonrise Kingdom ~$2.18M
  10. What to Expect When You’re Expecting ~$1.3M

Congrats (again) to Madagascar 3!

What did YOU watch this weekend?

#2- “Another Trip Back to 1984” The novel 1984 by George Orwell is reportedly getting a new adaptation made for the big screen once again. Ron Howard and Brian Grazer have been working on getting the project up and running. Still in need of a director, they have landed the project’s writer.

Noah Oppenheim, who has produced television shows such as Hardball with Chris Matthews and The Buried Life, has claimed the title of writer for this upcoming remake of a totalitarian future and a man, whose job is rewriting history, that tries to rebel against the over-controlling government regime.

While there is not much more info (i.e. production start dates, release dates, cast), it is interesting to see this project start to take shape. 1984 is an intriguing movie and even greater novel from the great George Orwell. Look for more info as it becomes available.

What are your thoughts on the 1984 news?

#3- “Vampires Just Won’t Die.” It’s no secret that I am no fan of Twilight…along with many of you might I add. Apparently, some rumored reports back and forth have been discussing the future of the blockbuster franchise as the final film will be releasing this year. (Look for the new trailer on this week’s Trailer Time Thursday)

Rumor Report #1- Twilight will be remade/rebooted in the near future. Bloody-Disgusting reported:

“they’re already discussing it internally. It will happen.” The site adds that “It is still undecided exactly what the future of the franchise will be, though. It could be a direct remake… but then again it could also be a spinoff or maybe even a one-off sequel.”

Rumor Report #2- In response to that, Lionsgate said

“We are not remaking Twilight. We will happily support Stephenie Meyer if she decides to proceed in any way. But this will be the last one unless that should change.”

Whom do YOU believe? In this era of remakes, reboots, sequels, and prequels…it could happen. And I will only be happy if Seline (Underworld) is in the movie and deals death upon all the bloodsuckers!

Do you want a reboot of this franchise?

#4- “Total Recall Posters.” Check out the latest posters promoting the upcoming remake for Total Recall.

(click the images to enlarge)

Directed by Len Wiseman and starring Colin Farrell, Kate Beckinsale, Jessica Biel, Bryan Cranston, and more, this remake is set to release on August 3, 2012.

Are you ready for Rekall?

#5- “This Week’s Blu-ray release.” This week, look for the following films on Blu-ray to possibly add to your collection:

Project X– This party beyond all parties, hosted by highschool “losers”, gets way out of control and turns out to be nothing short of epic epicness. ha. Plenty of laughs and surprises from this rather plausible look at the craziest highschool party you ever saw. Get ready and let’s get the party started! Read my REVIEW.

Several other films also release this week. Check it out!

Also releasing: Jeff Who Lives At Home, Wanderlust

Well, that’s it for this round of “Movie News Monday!”

up next: “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

1. June 18, 2012 8:37 am

I dont know how welcome I am over here right now… I’m sure we can get Mr Happy Hap back to you safely… eventually, though, so….

Sad that Rock of Ages didnt bust out. Another lackluster pick in the AM fantasy draft league. Big bummer. LOL

I’m all for a “1984” movie, the themes are more valid today than ever. I just wonder what they’d call it. LOL 2084?

• June 19, 2012 6:58 pm

ha! well, we sure are glad that Mr. Happy Hap had a good time at yo party! LOL

That was so hilarious and I’m honored that he could help celebrate your 1 year anniversary!

The title for 1984 is something I am curious about too. It’d be pretty crazy if they put a twist on it and kept the title 1984, but based it in the present day and age claiming that we’ve been under that regime unawares since 84.

2. June 18, 2012 9:17 am

Love those Rekall posters. If they reboot Twilight, I’ll end up hurting somebody.

• June 19, 2012 6:56 pm

Yes! I think a reboot will cause a murderous rampage of many…either that or the zombie apocalypse!

3. June 18, 2012 4:08 pm

1984 might work, might not… there are certainly always going to be people who say the state of the world is “just like 1984“, so it’ll have an audience…

On the Twilight reboot rumors… I’m going to believe the studio over the people who are pulling words out of thin air. Not that I don’t think Lionsgate would happily do it if they thought they could get away with it, but one of the “nice” things about a rabid demented fan base is that they fixate on certain portrayals. The success of Pattinson, Stewart, et al, means any other actors would be unlikely to be accepted in the roles. A reboot wouldn’t be feasible until this generation of twits grows up, at which point the books should hopefully be passe. Though if Meyer does write another, you can bet dollars to doughnuts Lionsgate would happily film another sequel. Here’s hoping she turns her typewriter to other endeavors…. that go nowhere.

• June 19, 2012 6:53 pm

Hear Hear! endeavors that go nowhere! >comment of the week!!

1984 does seem pretty viable in almost any day and age. It will be interesting, just as long as they stay “true to the source material” and don’t make it an Eagle Eye or I, Robot

• June 19, 2012 8:09 pm

Or have Winston Smith win in the end.

4. June 19, 2012 1:28 am

HAHAHA What Pete said!!!

Hi T, how the devil are you?

• June 19, 2012 6:28 pm

ha! Scott!! Thanks for stopping in.

I have been so terribly busy that it’s been a bit overwhelming. How are you? How’s the fam? So great to hear from you.

5. June 19, 2012 9:42 am

How about a Twilight reboot in which all of the characters are killed in the opening 5 minutes?

Total Recall posters look great. Though, still not so sure about the film. Hmm.

• June 19, 2012 6:09 pm

I like your reboot idea Jaina! haha.

And we stand together on Total Recall. Ruth is hyped for it, but I’m not.

6. June 19, 2012 12:05 pm

Can’t wait for Total Recall!! As for news #3, bleeeechh!!

• June 19, 2012 5:19 pm

I’m still not sold on Total Recall. It just doesn’t strike me as being impressive yet. I hope that I will be proven wrong. but so far…eh

7. June 20, 2012 4:50 am

The Twilight news wouldn’t surprise me because I’m sure the studio are sad to see a moneymaker like that end. I’m sure they could get Stephenie Meyer to sign off on some other films that are loosely linked with the series rather than restart it though.

The Total Recall marketing campaign is brilliant. I much prefer something a bit “left-field” like that than endless character posters!

• June 22, 2012 9:05 am

Twilight would annoy me. it does even now.

I’m not excited for Total Recall, but you are right, they are doing a good job in marketing.

1. Movie News Monday for June 18, 2012 « The Focused Filmographer | Upcoming Movie Releases