It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 104

June 19, 2012

What is “Time to Vote Tuesday”?:

Last week’s poll, Notable Norton has now closed with 31 votes. Ed Norton truly is a talented actor and has been in tons of films. Check out the results of last week’s poll to see which one of his films was voted as #1. Check out the results HERE.

I wish to thank everyone that voted in last week’s polls, shared it with others, and made it fun with your comments!

—————-

In this edition of ‘TVT’ this week’s poll, entitled “Origins and Originality”, we take a look at one of the subjects that can be touchy in movie fandom: Prequels, Remakes/Reboots, and Sequels.

As has been the trend over the past several years, originality seems to be a thing of the past more and more as Hollywood seems to continually pump out nothing except for remakes, reboots, money-making sequels, and prequels. From The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and The Italian Job to Transformers 4 and Dredd. From Let Me In and Spider-Man 2 to Rush Hour 3 and Taken 2.

New Poster for Taken 2

It seems that originality has pretty much been tossed to the wind. That’s why I am so glad whenever a film like Inception, Midnight in Paris, and How to Train You Dragon comes along. It’s fun to entertain new ideas. Granted, some remakes, sequels, and prequels are good, but more times than not they end up disappointing. I mean, yes, Tron: Legacy, True Grit, Star Trek, and Prometheus are decently good to AWESOME…but Spider-Man 3, Terminator 3, Superman Returns, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory…I mean, what happened there?

I’ll tell you what happened. DISAPPOINTMENT!

For purposes of the poll, I wish to define the differences of these terms: Prequel, Remake, Reboot, and Sequel.

• Prequel: A film that tells a story of events that precedes the events in a movie already released
  • Remake: A recreation of a story/plot/film that has already been released before
  • Reboot: A variation of a brand new fresh start of a franchise or character
  • Sequel: See The Land Before Time cartoons

Today I ask you:

The poll closes on 6-26-12 and the results will post on next week’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

Speaking of Reboots and Sequels, Who’s ready for The Dark Knight Rises and The Amazing Spider-Man?

***Don’t forget: For additional polls, updates, trailers, news, and more, become a fan/follower on Facebook and Twitter.

1. June 19, 2012 11:12 am

Prequels usually disappoint me most, followed closely by sequels. Remakes usually disgust me the most; I’m not disappointed, but only because my expectations are too low to begin with.

• June 19, 2012 11:19 am

hmm, good point. I imagine that disappointment is dependent upon the level of hope and expectation. I should’ve asked which “disappoints or disgusts you most?” ha.

2. June 19, 2012 11:25 am

Yeah prequels are very often a big mistake. Liked Rise of the Planet of the Apes though!

• June 19, 2012 5:35 pm

ROTPOTA was a good prequel, as was X-Men First Class, but so many others fail, IMO.

3. June 19, 2012 12:04 pm

Hmmm, tough question T. I voted for remakes but every category has some bad apples, too. And you’ll know my answer to the second question from what I just posted today 😀 Can’t friggin wait!!!

• June 19, 2012 5:20 pm

ha. the remakes, huh? do you have any that you would say were done well?

• June 19, 2012 8:17 pm

Well I actually enjoyed Sabrina remake though granted I haven’t seen the original. Oh and Rise of the Planet of the Apes is a good one.

• June 22, 2012 9:08 am

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is such a good one. But so many remakes are bad.

4. June 19, 2012 12:13 pm

I usually find that the sequels disappoint far more than the others, especially if the first movie was great. I loved the 1st Matrix, all the others that followed got worse as the franchise continued. The X-Men prequel was by far my favorite movie from this series. I loved the Star Trek and Superman remakes. So my vote is definitely sequels. I can name more sequels that I disliked than in all the other categories. 🙂

• June 19, 2012 4:50 pm

When you mention the sequels like The Matrix, you def are right about them. You really liked Superman Returns though?…why?

Thanks for voting 🙂

• June 20, 2012 8:41 am

Idk…I didn’t think it was bad considering it had so much to live up to. I was reminded of the old Superman, and I liked that. I think they did a pretty decent remake in my opinion, and it didn’t hurt that Brandon Routh looked alot like Christopher Reeves. 🙂

• June 22, 2012 9:03 am

ha. One of my best friends would truly love you for that comment. I just didn’t dig Superman Returns.

5. June 19, 2012 2:17 pm

Good question, T. Had to go with Prequels because even though they’re rarer, they disappoint more frequently. Sequels and remakes and even reboots have all had great entries into their respective classifications, but I’m at a loss to come up with a truly great prequel…

That’s where I shake out on it.

• June 19, 2012 4:48 pm

prequels can be pretty sorry. That’s for sure. Curious though, were you not a fan of X-Men: first Class?

6. June 19, 2012 6:29 pm

Nine times out of ten, a remake is going to disappoint. That gets my vote.

Also not really interested in the new Spider-Man so The Dark Knight Rises wins by default. 🙂

• June 19, 2012 6:37 pm

Eric! aahh…ya hurt me, man! LOL. Not interested in Spider-Man? You should explain yourself immediately. ha!

• June 20, 2012 10:11 pm

Haha, well I just think it’s far too early for another franchise reboot. I dig Andrew Garfield, but I’m not sure a new movie is entirely necessary.

• June 22, 2012 9:00 am

LOL. It’s been ten years since the first one. But I know what you mean. However, I’m STOKED! haha spider-man

7. June 19, 2012 9:51 pm

Remakes don’t disappoint because I never expect anything great from them.

• June 22, 2012 9:08 am

I think that’s a good rule of thumb though Ian. Low expectations. Nice.

8. June 20, 2012 12:51 am

I went for the remakes, although the inclusion of The Departed in the examples made me hesitate for a moment as I thought it was better than the original. But mostly I don’t like them…

• June 22, 2012 9:07 am

Thanks for voting though. The Departed IS a good remake for sure.

9. June 20, 2012 5:35 am

Really tough TTVT this week!

They all have bad apples and good apples. But I think the heavy weight bad apples that are the Star Wars prequel outweigh anything bad in the other categories. Sometimes, there just doesn’t feel a real need for a prequel and yet, they’ll still push one out. Retelling the same story. I’m looking at you The Thing!

• June 22, 2012 9:04 am

Ooh…good call out on The Thing. But, yes, Star Wars takes the cake.

Do you think Lucas will ever attempt to remake the classics?

10. jackdeth72 permalink
    June 21, 2012 12:37 am

Hi, Terrence and company:

What?…. No ‘All of the Above’?

Prequels are annoying. ‘Star Wars IV, V, VI’ were all the franchise needed to make.

Lucas is a mediocre director who can’t leave well enough alone. And has a nasty habit of making the CGI tech in his prequels look cooler and more high tech in the past than that found in his films set in the future.

Remakes are iffy at best. Though the fields are ripe with ideas and films that made money the first time around. And Hollywood seems to release trailers too far in advance and attach too much marketing to them. When the opposite would work much better. Don’t waste money on an ad campaign that is not initially well received.

The lines are getting a bit too blurry between Re-boots and Remakes. If you are going to ignite a new franchise from a proven product. Get the best writers, location scouts and computer geeks possible to make the project fresh.

Sequels: Three’s the limit. Four total, overall. Unless one of the films is exceptional. The point of diminishing returns hovers around three.

Securing my Soap Box.
    Carry on.

• June 22, 2012 8:58 am

haha. This time I really wanted a definite answer.

you’re right…the line is blurry often between reboots and remakes.

I do grow weary of sequels going past 3. I agree with you.

Thanks for commenting and voting today.

11. June 22, 2012 11:13 pm

With the rate Hollywood is going at i am pretty sure we will eventually get a Citizen Kane remake. Heard it here first folks

• June 25, 2012 9:46 am

eewwww. I hope not. (But you’re prob right)

12. June 24, 2012 10:41 pm

Most definitely REMAKE!! I hate remakes and never see one unless I didn’t know it’s a remake.

Prequel, sequel and reboot… are still forgivable…at least they try to think of something or some story to go along. Remake is by far the laziest way to make movie, what’s wrong with subtitles anyway? IMO, remake is the most not original and lazy movie.

• June 25, 2012 9:40 am

Nov, I am honored that you make it a point to visit each Time to Vote Tuesday as much as possible. I often look forward to your thoughts. Thank you.

Remakes huh? I am curious…is there a remake you can think of that you enjoyed though? Horror films often fall in that category and I know you love the genre.

• June 28, 2012 3:19 am

None! My dislike over the Ring makes me avoid remakes even more.

I do like The Woman in Black…but that was a remake from TV movies, which is okay because small chance I will be able to see the original.

13. Kal-El permalink
    June 26, 2012 10:00 pm

A few quick points.
    1. tajgreenemoviesinreview is awesome! I wasn’t even a big fan of Superman Returns… it was too slow going, didn’t have enough of Superman, and ignored Lex too much to name a few.

2. Superman Returns was not a reboot (Reboot: A variation of a brand new fresh start of a franchise or character) but rather a sequel. Brandon Routh was chosen because he so well resembled Reeve and was able to mimick his mannorisms as Clark and Superman. The story is written as a direct sequel to Donner’s Superman and even references it when talking about Lois’s night with Superman (that’s where the kid comes from). They use the same layout for the fortress and even brought back Marlon Brando as Jor-El. The only thing fresh and new about the character and franchise was the Panasonic system used to make him fly.

3. Star Wars 1-3 can be counted as prequels since they did release in theaters decades after 4-6. However, in all fairnes Star Wars was originally written as 1-9 (truthfully, it was originally written as one movie but was so long that they broke it up into 9 parts). 4-6 was released first because Lucas and company thought that 4 would make the most money and be the biggest draw of the nine. He needed it to work since he financed it himself and was broke from it. Star Wars franchise is kinda like if they decided to release Harry Potter 4-6 first and then later released the first 3.

Now that that’s out of the way (just had to get that out), I tend to hate prequels. Not because they’re bad within themselves but because they often never tie in correctly, if at all, to the films that were already made (Underworld being a major exception). For instance, Scorpian King Franchise never tied to the Mummy series. Also, if the prequels are done long after the originals they often look so much sharper that the filming regresses when watching them in order which messes up the feel of the series (star wars, the exorcist, alien, silince of the lambs, and planet of the apes franchises come to mind). Thats why this group got my vote.

• June 26, 2012 10:24 pm

haha. I’m sure Tajuana appreciates your love and enthusiasm (albeit misguided) for Superman Returns.

And. You’re right, thank you, It really can’t be labeled as much a reboot as a sequel, but in a way, it still can in that it was supposed to restart a franchise that had slowed/stopped, much like rebooting a computer.

But it would seem that prequels won this vote overall.

1. It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 105 « The Focused Filmographer