Movie News Monday for July 9, 2012

July 9, 2012

Welcome to this week’s edition of “Movie News Monday!” (“MNM!”)!! What is ‘MNM’all about?

In case this is your first time here, “Movie News Monday!” (MNM) is the place to visit every Monday for a quick recap of trending entertainment news! I’ve collected info, rumors, etc from all over just for you to keep you updated on movies being released, actors/actresses in roles, dvd releases to keep a lookout for, which movie won in the box office over the weekend, etc! Are you ready for your weekly update? Here it is!

This Just In!!…

#1- “The Weekend Winner.”  This past weekend, The Amazing Spider-Man swung its way to the #1 spot in the box office after an impressive Tuesday release. With a $140 million six-day total, The Amazing Spider-Man came very close to 2002’s Spider-Man’s $144M six-day total! There were a total of 3 wide new releases over the weekend, and they each claimed a spot in the top 10. Some things of note from this past weekend: Moonrise Kingdom is still in the top 10. Go see it! (Review) Woody Allen’s To Rome With Love bumped up 405% and entered the top 10 after 3 weeks of showing. And, Magic Mike suffered a 60% drop from the previous week (perhaps not so magic after all).

Here are the weekend’s estimated results for Fri, July 6 -Sun, July 8:

1. The Amazing Spider-Man ~$65M
  2. Ted ~$32.6M
  3. Brave ~$20.1M
  4. Savages ~$16.1M
  5. Magic Mike ~$15.6M
  6. Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Witness Protection ~$10.2M
  7. Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted ~$7.7M
  8. Katy Perry: Part of Me ~$7.2M
  9. Moonrise Kingdom ~$4.6M
  10. To Rome With Love ~$3.5M

Congrats to The Amazing Spider-Man!

What did YOU watch this weekend?

#2- “Anthony Hopkins to be an OLD man!” That statement is not meant to be an insult! haha. As you may be aware, Darren Aronofsky’s NOAH is currently underway with casting and production. With a cast that already includes Russell Crowe (as Noah), Jennifer Connelly, Saoirse Ronan, Douglas Booth, Logan Lerman, Emma Watson and Ray Winstone, Anthony Hopkins has just been announced to join the cast.

And, as the title of this story states: he will be an OLD man! Cast as Methuselah, Sir Anthony Hopkins will be portraying the 969 year old who died just before the Flood came down upon the earth.

This news was announced this morning via Aronofsky’s twitter in which he stated:

i’m honored to be working with the great sir anthony hopkins. we just added him to the stellar cast of #Noah; #methuselahlives.

With the project currently filming, look for more on it as the release date of March 28, 2014 nears.

What are your thoughts?

#3- “Hellboy is an Angel” Recently, Ron Perlman (Hellboy, Drive) re-partnered back up with Spectral Motion (effects team) to fulfill a Make-A-Wish request that reached his ear. 6year old leukemia patient, Zachary, had a wish to “meet and become Hellboy.” Perlman was more than excited to help make this wish come true. So, he did.

Courtesy Spectral Motion’s Facebook page:

In the past three weeks, Spectral Motion has been honored to host two wonderful Make-A-Wish children, Caleb and Zachary. Zachary loved his visit for two very special reasons. It was Zachary’s wish to meet Hellboy and also to become Hellboy. When the Make-A-Wish Foundation contacted Spectral Motion with this request, Mike thought it would be fantastic to have Ron Perlman reprise his role for the day. Ron loved the idea and donned the makeup once more (with the assistance of Lufeng Qu and Eden Elizalde) and also ordered a Hellboy sized meal of burgers, shakes, and fries for Zachary and his family and the entire Spectral crew to enjoy. Later in the day, Zachary was transformed into Hellboy with the assistance of makeup artists Lufeng Qu and Neil Winn. Both of the Make-A-Wish days were a complete thrill for the families of the children, as well as for the crew at Spectral Motion!

How awesome is that?!

You can see more pics of this wonderful wish come true at Spectral Motion’s Facebook page (link above the quote)! Thank you to them and Ron Perlman. I wish all the best of health and recovery to young Zachary. True heroes here, people.

Doesn’t this just touch your heart?

#4- “Fassbender’s Creed.” Jake Gyllenhaal has Prince of Persia, Angelina Jolie has Tomb Raider, Milla Jovavich has Resident Evil. Well, now another actor and video game franchise will join hands to create an awaited fan favorite videogame-based movie.

Michael Fassbender (Prometheus, X-Men: First Class, 300, and more) has signed on for the lead role in a movie based on the popular Assassin’s Creed.

Fassbender will not only star in the film, he will also be co-producer. The project was initially set to be co-produced by SonyPictures, but negotiations placed the project on hold, so instead, the game company Ubisoft will be launching it in conjuction with their recently created company: Ubisoft Motion Pictures (UMP). [for more on that, visit HERE].

Here is a quick summary of the game (courtesy CinemaBlend) for those of you unfamiliar:

Desmond Miles learns that his ancestors were trained assassins only after he is kidnapped by a mysterious organization related to the Knights Templar. They strap him into a machine that allows him to project himself back into any of his previous ancestors, so that he winds up as as an assassin in the Holy Land during the Crusaders, or on a quest to avenge his family’s death in Renaissance-era Italy.

Are you excited/interested in Assassin’s Creed or Fassbender’s casting?

#5- “This Week’s Blu-ray release.” This week, look for the following films on Blu-ray to possibly add to your collection:

Senna– This highly acclaimed documentary of the Brazilian Formula One race driver Ayrton Senna who was the winner of 4 F1 championship races before his untimely death at the age of 34. Having received nothing but high praise, this film makes its way to Blu-Ray this week. (Read my friend, Flixchatter’s, REVIEW)

Several other films also release this week. Check it out!

Also releasing: American Reunion (Read my REVIEW), Margaret, Outland, and The Big Bang Theory (Complete 1st Season)

Well, that’s it for this round of “Movie News Monday!”

up next: “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

1. July 9, 2012 10:05 am

Awesome Ron Perlman! So cool! Why Fassy’s doing a video game adap is anyone’s guess. I suppose they make lots make money but aren’t they usually rubbish? I still can’t think of a good one.

• July 9, 2012 8:49 pm

Perlman=supercool.

Well, as long as it’s better than Doom or Bloodrayne! 🙂

2. July 9, 2012 10:22 am

Ignore all news and buy Senna on blu-ray! That is one seriously brilliant film.

• July 9, 2012 8:49 pm

haha. Best comment of the day, Jaina! 🙂

3. July 9, 2012 11:20 am

Hey thanks for linkage to SENNA, like Jaina said, it is a seriously brilliant film!

T, I’ve been meaning to ask you what you think about Assassin’s Creed game? I’ve been hearing about the anti-Christian sentiment on that one. I think the visuals are cool, I’ve only seen the trailers as I’m not a gamer. Interesting to hear about Fassy’s involvement nonetheless, for me I’d rather see Uncharted film adaptations though, less controversial.

• July 9, 2012 8:53 pm

Absolutely, my friend.

On Assassin’s Creed, I really haven’t played too much of the game, but didn’t really get the feel of anti-Christian sentiment. and, to me (me, that is), it’s a just a game and its focus isn’t on anything of that depth. now, if the movie takes a turn with a serious tone/undertone, then there would be further controversy I am sure.

I wish I played more of the game to give you a better answer, but I shrug my shoulders at anyone’s possible suggestion of boycott or anything like that over the movie/game for those reasons. I think it will LOOK cool, but I just want it to BE cool too. haha. Although, I will agree too, Uncharted should be made.

4. July 9, 2012 11:51 am

Fassbender’s Creed sounds pretty cool to me. I can see them making a pretty good flick out of it…

• July 9, 2012 8:54 pm

ha! Hey! Thanks for using my little title I gave it. That was pretty sweet. 🙂 Fassbender’s Creed!

I like coming up with little fancy titles for the stories, nice to see it appreciated.

5. July 9, 2012 1:50 pm

Hmm… that Assassin’s Creed premise sounds pretty silly to me… I’ve never played the games, so I don’t know if that’s from the game or just inspired by it, but either way it doesn’t sound like it’ll be the exception to the rule that video game movies suck.

• July 9, 2012 8:54 pm

ya never know…while I agree with you, one can have hope!

but, then again, hope can be a dangerous thing! 😉

6. July 9, 2012 2:19 pm

Hi, Terrence and company:

Serious kudos to Ron Perlman and his going full blown Hellboy for Zachary and Make A Wish! The article was linked to Free Republic.com over the weekend and received major positive feedback. Curious to know if Hellboy had at least one kitten in the pocket of his Great coat?

Michael Fassbender has a stiletto under his arm as an assassin. Ooooooh, shudder! Sir Lawrence Olivier had a much larger one in ‘Marathon Man’.

Fassbender has plenty of potential to be this generation’s Tim Roth. Think he should set his sights higher.

• July 9, 2012 8:56 pm

Seeing Perlman do that really spoke volumes and I was glad to see that. thanks for sharing the link.

Fassbender as Tim Roth, huh? I can see that, only I’d hope that he’d do even better than Roth. Perhaps he has. Some people still don’t know Roth by name, and only by face, while Fassbender…well, he and Gosling became household names all over America last year.

7. July 9, 2012 6:41 pm

Go Pearlam 🙂 And as for the Assasins creed movie, i hope it bucks the trend of bad videogame adaptions

• July 9, 2012 7:22 pm

*Perlman

• July 9, 2012 8:56 pm

you and I both, Julian. you and I both.

8. July 9, 2012 7:46 pm

That’s so cool about Perlman/Hellboy. What a great guy.

• July 9, 2012 8:56 pm

no doubt! right? Perlman really is an angel.

9. sanclementejedi permalink
    July 10, 2012 7:10 pm

Saw Spidey this weekend… better than I expected but not great… If anyone can pull of an AC movie it is Fassbender.

Big props to Perlman for making that kids day 🙂

• July 12, 2012 7:46 pm

Yes! Glad you like Spider-Man!!!

Man, Perlman just made me a bigger fan of his. That really is awesome of him. truly.

10. July 13, 2012 10:57 am

Interesting compendium. I’m excited to see Assassin’s Creed come to life, especially with Fassbender as the lead.
    Nice heartwarming story about Perlman. Very interesting make-a-wish too. Lets hope the kid gets better.
    I still haven’t seen Spidey, and probably won’t until it comes out in DVD/Blu-Ray as I’m more than fed up with superhero films.

I will probably get my hands on the Blu-Ray of Senna (in my top 5 of 2011) once I see a sale somewhere. I’m on a budget !! haha. BTW…Ayrton won only 3 titles, and I actually saw the race when he died. In fact, I plan to write a special review of Senna soon detailing my connection to him as a kid and my reaction to the awesome documentary (he was probably my sporting idol growing up).

• July 16, 2012 12:34 pm

Hi Niels! So glad to see you here.

I completely understand your sentiment on superhero films. (although, I do hope u go see Spider-Man…and in 3D). But it seems that they are changing superhero films from a luxury/delicacy to a run of the mill/regularity that takes away from their amazingness.

and look at the choices for characters…announced/rumored are Lobo (DC), Metal Men (DC), Guardians of the Galaxy (Marvel), etc…no one really is EXCITED about them…half don’t even know who they are.

and then you have just more and more of Captain America, Superman, Spiderman, Thor, Iron Man. Don’t get me wrong! I LOVE those heroes and enjoy it. but it’s getting to the point of oversaturation IMO. Where do we draw the line?

Wow. you saw Senna’s race? I look forward to your review. PLEASE send me the link once you do.

11. July 17, 2012 3:36 pm

Love the Perlman story. Such an awesome thing to do.

• July 19, 2012 8:20 am

Truly touching for sure. I enjoyed seeing that.