It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 108

July 17, 2012

What is “Time to Vote Tuesday”?:

Last week’s poll, Directing Questions to the Director has now closed with 66 votes. The results are in and the top 3 questions for 3 particular Hollywood directors has been chosen. Questions directed towards M. Night Shyamalan, George Lucas, and Peter Jackson seemed to be the most popular. There were a couple of ties, the poll was a lot of fun. Be sure to check out the results from last week’s poll’s HERE.

I wish to thank everyone that voted in last week’s polls, shared it with others, and made it fun with your comments!

—————-

In this edition of ‘TVT’ this week’s poll, entitled “Money-Making Movies”, focuses on another aspect of the movie-making process…Investing!

The movie business can be a risky one. (Just ask people like Nicolas Cage, M. Night Shyamalan, Freddie Prinze, Jr., etc) And, consequently, investing in one to be made can also be a high risk (Look at the aftermath of John Carter…a film I happened to very much enjoy, but didn’t meet up to it’s financial expectations).

For every couple of movies that make it big, there seem to be hundreds others that do not. They either never receive enough promotion to begin with (Batman: Mask of the Phantasm) or have box office competition (Blade Runner vs. E.T., The Extra-Terrestrial), bomb at the box office and gain popularity in the rental venue (Shawshank Redemption, John Carter), or just flat out BOMB (Red Planet).

Well, let’s say that you had the power to change that! Congratulations. You are an up and coming movie company tycoon and you’ve just acquired the world’s first operating Time Machine! BUT, it only works if you go on a mission in time to invest in movies. A choice lies before you:

Forget Uncle Sam wanting you! I WANT you and your money, for MY movie!

Do you go back and invest in movies that you KNOW did great (will do great) in the box office and earn more $$$$ for your future self (Jurassic Park, Titanic)? Or, do you go back and invest in promoting movies that are popular now, but weren’t in the box office (It’s A Wonderful Life, Shawshank Redemption)? Or do you even care about that and just go after the ones that got all the awards (Ben Hur, Lord of the Rings)?

INVEST!!!

Today I ask you:

Some tough choices here today! I am curious what you will pick. Investing: Great risk…but can give great reward!

Tell me which movie(s) you picked and why in the comment section! Thanks for voting!

The poll closes on 7-24-12 and the results will post on next week’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

***Don’t forget: For regular updates on movie news, rumors, pictures, posters, and more, FOLLOW ME on Twitter and Facebook.

1. Ted S. permalink
    July 17, 2012 11:44 am

Well since I worked in the financial industry for years, I always go with the sure bets so of course I voted for Titanic and The Avengers. I always want fast returns. 🙂

• July 19, 2012 8:24 am

Fast returns would come to you, for sure…unless I went back in time and created a movie ON the Titanic only to escape in the nick of time and then create a movie about THAT instead. “TRUMP CARD!” Ooohhh! hahaha

2. July 17, 2012 12:10 pm

LOVE that photo from Moulin Rouge, Jim Broadbent is a hoot in that ‘Invest’ sequence! 😀

Well, I voted for Ben-Hur as I LOVED that epic, not just in terms of technical achievements but also story. I’d like to see a Biblical epic done like that but WITH the God/spiritual components intact instead of making him into an environmentalist!!! 😦

For other, hmmm I guess if I had the hindsight, I’d be rich if I had invested in Titanic, ahah!

• July 19, 2012 8:22 am

Jim Broadbent truly livened up ever scene he was in. hahaha. I laugh everytime.

I’m with you on your thoughts for an excellent Biblical epic. We’ve just gotta get big in the movie industry, you and I, and make it. 🙂

3. July 17, 2012 12:33 pm

The Avengers, Jurassic Park 😀

• July 19, 2012 8:21 am

Goin after that money, huh?! Nice! Gotta get paid. LOL

• July 19, 2012 9:46 am

There is a time and a place for some movies and the films on that list that failed for a reason, but on the other hand…Gotta get paid haha 😀

4. July 17, 2012 1:16 pm

Titanic seems like a good bet. And for the second, I’d go with the Avengers… but I’d invest slightly before Iron Man came out. Get in cheap, maximize profit. 😀

It’s a Wonderful Life would probably be a bad investment… for decades, it was considered public domain, so no profit — and the means through which it was removed from public domain are kind of iffy (essentially, the movie studio claimed ownership of the short story it was based on, which was still under copyright, and the courts ruled it’s protected as a derivative work.) It’s a good move for the studio, but it’s not something I’d want to rely on staying that way.

• July 19, 2012 8:21 am

oooh, strategy with the Avengers plan. I like it.

on It’s a Wonderful Life, I imagine that timing would be everything. Perhaps if you invested from the beginning and demand a holiday release instead of the mid-summer release that it had, that might work!

• July 19, 2012 11:24 am

Maybe. It’s one that’s really hard to play armchair quarterback with. It’s entirely possible that the only reason it became a “classic” in the first place was because of its time in the public domain (it wasn’t popular before then) when every city had a local station or three that aired it multiple times during December because they didn’t have to pay for it.

5. jackdeth72 permalink
    July 17, 2012 5:16 pm

Hi, Terrence and company:

I went with ‘Other’, of course.

I would have contributed to Bob Clark’s production coffers for ‘A Christmas Story’.

Also the Raimi Brothers and Bruce Campbell’s production piggy bank for ‘The Evil Dead’.

There’s money in those residuals!!!

• July 19, 2012 8:20 am

ooh. A Christmas Story! What an excellent idea! Imagine the royalties now! 🙂

6. ilovethatfilm permalink
    July 18, 2012 8:29 am

I vote for two of my favourite movies of all time; Titanic and Fight Club. Both of those I would have been incredibly interested in seeing brought to life from the first moment I read the scripts! Great question!

• July 19, 2012 8:19 am

Hooray. Finally Fight Club received a vote! Great choices there Pete.

7. July 18, 2012 5:56 pm

What a cool poll idea. I chose IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE and Whedon’s THE AVENGERS. I might be able to make a little money if I bought the rights to WONDERFUL LIFE when they came up 😉

• July 19, 2012 8:17 am

Thanks Paula. It was fun to put together and I am glad that it is so much fun.

Impressed (and glad) to see you pick the 2 movies you did. You would make Capra’s film be the #1 ranked movie of all time, I’m sure of it!

• July 19, 2012 8:56 am

aw…thanks T! I’d definitely do some things differently than how it went down…but hindsight is always 20/20 😉

8. July 19, 2012 9:08 am

This was a tough one, especially since I haven’t seen most of the movies on your list. Some were never on my radar…lol, although Im sure they were great. I went with Fight Club, because this movie totally took me by surprise. I think I happened into the theatre by chance to see this, and walked out raving about this movie. This is a collector that can be watched over and over…in my opinion. I also chose Titanic…this movie is classic…enough said.

9. July 23, 2012 12:23 pm

I think I’d go for a certain profit spinner and invest in Avengers but then go for something I’d enjoy promotimg trying to make some money from, like Fight Club. Successful but still has potential for more money-making.

• July 23, 2012 8:26 pm

a nice mix. I like your choices and the reasons behind them! Thanks for voting! New poll tomorrow.

1. It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 109 « The Focused Filmographer