It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 113

August 21, 2012

What is “Time to Vote Tuesday”?:

Last week’s poll, “Where You Watch has now closed with 48 votes. The results are in. It looks as if the majority of voters still find the greatest enjoyment of paying the extra price to see a film in the theaters with buttered popcorn and date in hand! 🙂 Thanks to all that voted. Be sure to check out the results from last week’s poll’s HERE.

I wish to thank everyone that voted in last week’s poll, shared it with others, and added to the conversation with your comments!

—————-

In this edition of ‘TVT’ this week’s poll, entitled “Comedy Central”, asks you to choose between 3 different pairs of comedians.

There have been so many comedians that have made us laugh (or attempted to at least) on the big screen. It sometimes seems almost unfair to compare them to each other as certain styles of comedy vary so much from one another. Some use physical comedy, some use witty comedy, others use sarcasm, etc. But, today, we are going to pit a few comedian actors against one another and see who will end up the last comedians standing! (Actresses will be on a later “Time to Vote Tuesday”)

Today I ask you to choose:

Robin Williams (ex: Mrs. Doubtfire, Aladdin)

OR

Jim Carrey (ex: Ace Ventura, Liar Liar)

———-

Eddie Murphy (ex: The Nutty Professor, Beverly Hills Cop)

OR

Adam Sandler (ex: Billy Madison, Just Go With It)

———-

Will Ferrell (ex: Anchorman, Elf)

OR

Steve Carell (ex: The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Crazy Stupid Love)

Vote and leave a comment defending/declaring your choices!

The poll closes on 8-28-12 and the results will post on next week’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

***Don’t forget: For regular updates on movie news, rumors, pictures, posters, and more, FOLLOW ME on Twitter and Facebook.

1. August 21, 2012 9:21 am

Ooooh some tough calls there. I went with Williams though I love Carrey, Murphy coz when he’s great, he’s infinitely better than Sandler, and Ferrell who just about tops Carrell at making me LOL!

2. August 21, 2012 9:56 am

Pretty easy choices for me: Williams, Murphy and Carrell, even though I’m not generally too fond of Murphy’s latest movies but Sandler definitely overstayed his welcome in the ludicrous movies he’s been making.

I do love Carrell, though there are some Ferrell movies I do enjoy, esp the more serious ones like Stranger than Fiction. Oh The Good Guys is a hoot, too!

• August 21, 2012 10:04 pm

Thanks for voting today, Ruth. Oh, I forgot you enjoyed Stranger than Fiction…I didn’t. LOL

3. jackdeth72 permalink
    August 21, 2012 10:40 am

Hi, Terrence and company:

I went with Robin Williams. More for nostalgia than anything else recently. Still think Robin and Steve Martin should look more for dramatic roles now than comedic. Martin was superb as a smooth talking con man in Mamet’s ‘The Spanish Prisoner’.

Eddie Murphy/Adam Sandler: Neither. Sandler isn’t funny. And Murphy lost whatever he had ages ago.

Will Ferrell/Steve Carell: Neither. Ferrell has never been funny. Haven’t seen enough of Carell to form an opinion.

Memo to new comedic talent: The Johnny Carson show is gone. SNL stopped being the gateway to the future when Belushi and Aykroyd left. Hone your talent in comedy clubs for a few decades before diving in over your head.

• August 21, 2012 10:05 pm

I agree with you on the memo to new comedic talent there my friend. For sure!

And believe it or not, I have seen The Spanish Prisoner and remember him in it. You’re so right!

4. August 21, 2012 1:22 pm

I’m terrible at this poll mainly due to my frustration with the modern comedy. But I threw my .00001 cent in ! 🙂

• August 21, 2012 10:06 pm

haha. well thanks for chiming in and voting nonetheless. If you had to name 3 of your favorite comedians, who would you list?

• August 21, 2012 11:34 pm

Hmmm, that’s a really good question. I loved Peter Sellers. Also was a great fan of Leslie Nielson. Laurel and Hardy were classic too. I know it’s not three but older Chevy Chase and Steve Martin also cracked me up. Ok, I kinda cheated.

• August 22, 2012 9:19 am

haha. that’s funny. But it seems we like a lot of the same comedians.

5. August 21, 2012 3:41 pm

I voted for Williams over Carrey, though not without some trepidation, considering that a lot of his later stuff isn’t very good. But then, Carrey has some stinkers as well. Really, the two are a lot alike in that both need to be reined in by a director. What tipped him over the edge for me was that even early on, Williams had some more subtle comedic roles, such as in Moscow on the Hudson.

Murphy vs. Sandler was an easier call. Both have producing crap in the last few decades, but early in his career Murphy had Beverly Hills Cop and 48 Hrs., which were great comedies. Sandler, to the best of my knowledge, hasn’t had anything that comes close to being a great comedy, and few which come close to being good.

On Ferrell vs. Carell, I have to give it to Ferrell by default since I have yet to see Carell in a movie.

• August 21, 2012 3:42 pm

Well, other than Bruce Almighty, but that was a bit part.

• August 21, 2012 10:09 pm

a few tough choices in my opinion today. I like a lot of Williams and Carrey’s work (comedy and drama), I see Murphy and Sandler at about the same level, I mean, they’ve both done some pretty bad work…anyone claiming that Jack and Jill makes Sandler lose forgets Murphy’s Norbit. But, you are right on the good films that Murphy has done.

and you have to see Carell in something soon. Anchorman, Dan in Real Life, Get Smart…something. Just don’t start with “Dinner for Schmucks.”

I’m glad you commented and voted on this one as it was partly inspired by your comedian post!

• August 21, 2012 10:12 pm

Ah, thanks!

Yeah, Sandler is losing for me because of his bad films… like you say, Murphy’s got a ton of those as well. It’s just that, for me, Murphy’s got some great ones, and Sandler doesn’t have those greats yet.

I’ll see Carell in something sooner or later. Seeking a Friend For the End of the World looks promising. I’m planning on avoiding Dinner for Schmucks and Evan Almighty, though. Get Smart is going to be a hard sell for me, though. I’ve been a huge fan of the original TV series since I was in grade school.

• August 21, 2012 10:43 pm

I didn’t mind Seeking a Friend actually I quite enjoyed it.

I like Carell because he is funny without necessarily trying to be. He’s not always in-your-face funny and yet he succesfully makes ya laugh

6. August 21, 2012 3:42 pm

When Eddie Murphy makes bad movies, he’s still usually enjoyable in them; whereas Sandler is usually the cause of his movies being terrible. Robin Williams has proven himself to be a great dramatic actor while Jim Carrey has faltered in that realm somewhat, though Carrey’s comedies tend to be better. Steve Carrell is overall a better actor than Will Ferrell, though both totally commit to their characters.

• August 21, 2012 10:10 pm

Hey Jamie! Thanks for chiming in. you’ve at least got some reasoning behind your choices instead of “I just like him”.

I will back you up on Williams vs. Carrey, but I still have to think on my Murphy vs. Sandler choice. Murphy has been pretty bad. ha

• August 21, 2012 11:17 pm

The problem with Murphy is that usually when he’s in a bad movie, he’s just playing himself. It’s when he does an actual character that he’s entertaining. Though critics of “Norbit” might disagree with that.

• August 24, 2012 9:21 am

sorry, Jamie. Not sure why, but your comment ended up in my spam box. I fished it out! Thanks for voting!

Yeah, I really am not as big a fan of Murphy as I used to be.

7. August 21, 2012 8:36 pm

Williams over Carrey because he has a better range, or at least he figured out a long time ago how to blend serious and comedic. It hasn’t worked so well overall for Carrey.

Murphy over Sandler because my god, Adam Sandler just will not stop making horrible movies. Eddie Murphy dropped off toward the end of the ’90s and kind of just shut up for a while after that. He’s doing his fair share of awful things, but Sandler is the king of crap at this point.

Carell over Farrell only because he’s a little more consistent. Farrell has the occasional bomb, but he’s still awesome.

• August 21, 2012 10:15 pm

are we talking about the same Eddie Murphy. He didn’t drop off toward the end of the ’90s, he just continued to make some bad movies that most of us never even heard of. haha (Vampire in Brooklyn, Metro, Holy Man, The Nutty Professor II, Bowfinger). And in the 2000’s he continued the trend with Norbit, Dr. Doolittle 2, and even more recently Tower Heist and A Thousand Words.

I think that he and Sandler are about even when you look at it. My vote might just go to Sandler (if I actually voted, that is. I leave that up to all of the readers.)

haha. Thanks for voting today SirPhobos!

• August 21, 2012 10:40 pm

I went and looked at their filmographies. Shit, they’re about even. Well…I still give it to Murphy since he did not do Jack and Jill. And Bowfinger is awesome, by the way.

• August 21, 2012 10:42 pm

LOL. I’m glad you checked ’em out. Jack and Jill = horrendous doesn’t it?

haha. Well, I will admit that you are the first person I have heard say that Bowfinger is awesome. I just was reminded that Robert Downey Jr was in it. haha. Thanks for hittin me back up

• August 22, 2012 3:15 am

I wouldn’t say Bowfinger was awesome, but it was at least acceptable. I’ll back George up on that.

• August 22, 2012 9:20 am

haha. okay, since Morgan backs it, I may have to retract the title from the list of bads I wrote earlier. 🙂

8. August 21, 2012 10:51 pm

Fun polls you got here 🙂
    Your last two polls were too much thinking involved so I skipped them 😉

The first and last polls here are easy to vote, most definitely Williams over Carrey…his humor is something I called smart humor. I don’t like Farrel so it’s Carrel without second thought. The second one is a bit tough, I was going to see none of the above…but finally chose Sandler as he has some good movies.

• August 22, 2012 9:18 am

🙂 thanks for voting Nov! I’m glad to see Sandler still get some votes. He’s done some horrible films, but I still like several of his movies.

9. August 22, 2012 12:17 am

Jim Carrey, Eddie Murphy and Will Ferrell for me…didn’t have to think too long about those…

• August 22, 2012 9:19 am

Nice! Nostra knows right away! Thanks for voting my friend.

10. August 22, 2012 12:38 am

A tricky one. So evenly matched but I went with Williams, Sandler and Ferrell. However, if Murphy had done some better films in the 1990s and 2000s I would have voted for him.

• August 22, 2012 9:20 am

Dan, thanks for voting today. Yeah, sorry I had to make it a bit difficult there, But I really am curious who the people will choose! I am on the Sandler side too, myself

11. August 22, 2012 6:31 am

Williams, Murphy and Carrell. Though, I could live without Carrell easily. He was the better of two evils there. Murphy – hate his recent films, not that I’ve seen many, but he’s Axel Foley. Also, he was a great stand-up comedian. Williams – Mrs Doubtfire! I rest my case.

• August 22, 2012 9:21 am

Mrs. Doubtfire! Yes. Always loved the cake face! haha.

Glad you voted for Carell, though I’m sad that you could live without him. He’s great in so much.

12. August 22, 2012 10:15 am

Carrey, Murphy and Carell. I’m not a huge fan of the first two, but there was no way I could vote for Adam Sandler given his recent output. I do like Steve Carell quite a bit, though. The Office should have ended when he left the show.

• August 24, 2012 8:57 am

No Sandler? Not even for some of his better previous work? ha. I mean, Don’t Mess with the Zohan and Little Nicky are pretty solid films, ya know?! 😀

Carell is great and I agree, The Office just really hasn’t been the same since. It’s ending though, so…

13. August 22, 2012 12:31 pm

LOL. Surprised at every one of those results! 😀 Happily in most cases. I thought Carrey and Ferrell would be blowing out the competition, but theyre not (Not that those are who I voted for, LOL 😉 ) And I cant believe Murphy vs Sandler isn’t a shutout!!

• August 24, 2012 9:02 am

Yeah, the results have surprised me so far too. ha.

Glad you voted this week man. Thanks

1. It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 114 « The Focused Filmographer