It’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!” 114

August 28, 2012

What is “Time to Vote Tuesday”?:

Last week’s poll, “Clash of the Comedians has now closed with an average of 30 votes per poll. The results are in and the bouts between Sandler and Murphy, Carell and Ferrell, and Williams and Carey have ended. I’ll admit, the results weren’t exactly what I was expecting! A lot of fun reading all of the comments. 🙂 Thanks to all that voted. Be sure to check out the results from last week’s polls HERE.

Someone wasn’t too thrilled with the results…

I wish to thank everyone that voted in last week’s poll, shared it with others, and added to the conversation with your comments!

—————-

In this edition of ‘TVT’ this week’s poll, entitled “Gotta-Go Genre”, all I want to know from you is the answer to a simple question:

If there was a genre of film that could somehow be erased from filmography’s history…which genre would you eliminate? (ha, sounds kinda morbid when you put it that way.) In a completely non-genocidal way, which genre of film is your least favorite; gets under your skin; disappoints you regularly; or just needs to go?

“I sentence all romantic comedies to the land of the forgotten!” 🙂

Let’s put it another way: You are in the film Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and the memories you get to erase are the ones from your least favorite/impressive movie genre! 🙂 (There, that’s more fun, huh?) Which one(s) are you getting rid of?

Today I ask you:

Vote and leave a comment defending/declaring your choices!

The poll closes on 9-4-12 and the results will post on next week’s “Time to Vote Tuesday!”

***Don’t forget: For regular updates on movie news, rumors, pictures, posters, and more, FOLLOW ME on Twitter and Facebook.

1. Trevor permalink
    August 28, 2012 8:42 am

The other I would banish? All of those ridiculous “parody” movies. You know the “Not Another Flavor of the Month Movie” type of crap. Scary Movie was the only one that was decent and when they kept making sequels they just got worse and worse.

Give it up already.

• August 29, 2012 2:35 pm

a good call on that Trevor. yeah, Parody movies are rather annoying to me too. Would you consider Shrek a parody movie? I’m curious. I got really fed up with Shrek 3 and all the parodies it tossed in after the first 2.

• August 29, 2012 2:36 pm

and believe it or not, even though it was a horrible movie, Vampires Suck really did a good job at making fun of all the things I hate about Twilight

2. todayiwatchedamovie permalink
    August 28, 2012 8:43 am

Horror…my least favorite genre. I’d be sad if romantic comedies disappeared

• August 29, 2012 2:37 pm

I think Tim would have to disagree with you on horror. LOL

Rom-Coms, huh? What was the last good one you enjoyed?

• todayiwatchedamovie permalink
        August 29, 2012 6:36 pm

I’ve enjoyed about 90% of the ones I’ve reviewed for my blog.

3. August 28, 2012 10:18 am

I picked romantic comedies and silent 😀

Who picked horror!

• August 29, 2012 2:38 pm

haha. this is pretty funny to see the differences of opinions here!

• August 29, 2012 2:45 pm

What would you pick?

• August 29, 2012 2:51 pm

Believe it or not, I almost want to pick “superhero.” As much as I loved the Batman trilogy and The Avengers (of which I was a part of), I’m kinda superhero-ed out. Although I wouldn’t banish them forever.

so, my choices lie with Rom-coms and Horror this time around…I know you are a horror fan, but my prob with them is the fact that none of them are indiscernable from each other…or very good for that matter. Yet, they keep doing them. example: Apparation came out last week and Possession comes out THIS week. No one knows the differences between the two. and…they keep adding on the sequels…Stop already! (Final Destination, Saw, Paranormal Activity, Halloween, Friday the 13th, etc). It’s worn out. IMO.

BUT, I don’t vote on my polls. I leave it all up to you…the people (picture me saying that like Bane did in TDKR)!! 🙂

• August 29, 2012 2:55 pm

Haha i already pictured bane before you said to, but i know what you mean about horror films, but there are good ones coming but not big film release ones. The best now are straight to DVD and low budget which is nearly the opposite to most other genres 😀

4. August 28, 2012 10:34 am

I would say religious movies, but then again i did like the Last temptation.

I’m gonna go with none. Even in genres i may not be a big fan of, sometimes i can find one like

• August 29, 2012 2:40 pm

you bring up a good point there Julian about “none” but if you were to play the game and HAD to choose an additional option to go along with religious movies…which would you pick?

5. jackdeth72 permalink
    August 28, 2012 10:50 am

Hi, Terrence and company:

I voted to banish Romantic Comedies. Which are neither, and much more like FYI/DIY uber liberal, hyper feminist, ‘How to be Miserable’ handbooks brought to the screen.

Also, the ridiculous sub~genre of ‘Found Footage’. Which got lucky once with ‘The Blair Witch Project’ and hasn’t come close since!

• August 29, 2012 2:41 pm

Hi jackdeth! how are things? Thanks for stopping by. I’m with you on your choices actually. I don’t mind a rom-com…so long as it’s a good one! Needs to be good.

6. August 28, 2012 3:44 pm

I like a good romantic comedy so I would hate to see them banished. BUT, we all know it is the one genre that is hurting for good movies more than any other. That’s the bigger problem – we just don’t hardly get any good smart rom-cms.

So my choices – Found Footage movies and OTHER. Any my other is the raunchy comedy. I love a good comedy but I almost to the point of thinking Hollywood can’t make good comedies without the raunchy crutch. Tons of these come out every year and if you raunch isn’t funny to you, you’re outta luck.

Anyway, good question!

• August 29, 2012 2:43 pm

Yep, Keith, agreed. “we just don’t hardly get any good smart rom-cms.”

and I also agree with you on the raunchy comedy. I like to laugh, but it doesn’t have to be in-your-face raunchy. I mean, Bill Cosby made a living off of “mostly” clean comedy!

Thanks for voting and adding your insight

7. August 29, 2012 1:52 am

I voted Found Footage and Horror, as I am not a fan of the former and I am too chicken to like the latter

Seems I wasn’t alone

• August 29, 2012 2:45 pm

Indeed…in the words of Michael Jackson: “You are not alone!” 🙂 Thanks for voting.

8. August 30, 2012 3:00 am

Parody films. Just why?

• September 1, 2012 11:36 am

ahhaha, yeah, Parodies can be pretty bad.

9. August 30, 2012 11:23 am

I only chose 1…Musicals. If I want to see a musical, I will head to the theatre. I don’t really think musicals belong on film…in my opinion. I would have also chosen Horror, but I didn’t. Horrors use to be great, it is recently that they have turned out to be just plain stupid. Im waiting for this genre to make a comeback before I give up on it totally…lol

• September 1, 2012 11:38 am

Musicals, huh? I take it you didn’t like Moulin Rouge or Phantom of the Opera then.

What are you watching this weekend?

10. August 30, 2012 7:24 pm

Definitely horror, I forgot slasher flicks, I should’ve picked ‘other’ instead of found footage. Chronicle was actually quite good even though I’m not generally fond of that genre.

• September 1, 2012 11:39 am

Horror is a good choice and found footage does tend to be annoying. I’d say you chose right! 🙂

11. Ted S. permalink
    September 2, 2012 4:36 pm

I went with found footage, I just don’t care for it. To me it’s just lack of creativity for filmmakers to do keep making that kind of genre. If you believe you have a good story to tell, just make the damn movie, not make a “found footage”. Guess I’m in the minority since most of these kind of movies are making the studios big money. And of course it’s cheap to make.

• September 4, 2012 11:35 am

Ted, thanks for voting. I don’t mind SOME FF films, but a lot of them do tend to get annoying

12. September 2, 2012 4:39 pm

I clicked other, but really it’s just found footage that should be banished. About 1 out of 20 FF movies have artistic merit, the rest just use the format to save on costs and cover up bad camera work. Yes, there are a few good ones, but there are exponentially more bad ones.

I couldn’t choose horror. Good horror movies may not come around often, but the ones that do define generations.

I think if I had to choose another, it’d be political documentaries. There are no political documentaries that aren’t seriously biased one way or the other.

• September 4, 2012 11:36 am

haha. Dusty, you seem to be right in tune with the populous. Most cannot stand FF films.

Political documentaries is another good option. Wish I would’ve thought of that.

and you make a very very good point on defining horror movies. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

13. ilovethatfilm permalink
    September 3, 2012 1:33 pm

hahaha not surprised to see found footage getting kicked to the curb. I’d lose romcoms and musicals but I’d be sad to see a few of them go. No more Grease or Mallrats.

• September 4, 2012 11:42 am

hahaha. Pete, you’re right…no more Grease or Mallrats. Kinda sad, but it also means no Paint Your Wagon and Mamma Mia! LOL

14. September 3, 2012 3:44 pm

Although at first I want to vote superhero but in the end voted other (meaning none)…each movie has its best quality…somehow

• September 4, 2012 11:44 am

🙂 Thanks for voting Nov. Was it Cillian that kept you from voting superhero because of Batman Begins? 😉

• September 4, 2012 3:29 pm

not really..it’s just something I don’t usually see but sometime superhero movies is fun to watch when I am not in the mood to think while watching

• September 6, 2012 12:33 am